William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bluejayk

Re: William & Mary

Postby bluejayk » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:41 pm

For those of you who have been accepted, how long after your "Congratulations!" date on the status checker did you receive your packet? I'm dying to find out about scholarships; a good one will make W&L maybe my top choice.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:50 pm

It was two days later I think.... You should be getting the packet soon

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:They definitely seem to be accepting people who qualify for scholarships before normal acceptances.

I notice this pattern at most schools. Seems you hear from safeties first.

You'd think so, but W&M was my safety and still nothing. I think I'll probably end up withdrawing next week if I haven't heard anything.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:30 pm

bluejayk wrote:For those of you who have been accepted, how long after your "Congratulations!" date on the status checker did you receive your packet? I'm dying to find out about scholarships; a good one will make W&L maybe my top choice.

Accepted on 11/18, letter sent 11/19, arrived in my mailbox 11/21.

solotee

Postby solotee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:43 pm

bluejayk wrote:For those of you who have been accepted, how long after your "Congratulations!" date on the status checker did you receive your packet? I'm dying to find out about scholarships; a good one will make W&L maybe my top choice.

5 days later

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I'm a Graduate Fellow with the $3,000 too!

did you apply separately for the grad fellow thing? I got a decent scholarship but I want that fellowship. They would sky rocket up my list if they'd give it to me...

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:41 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Several themed questions...

#1: There's a specific scholarship at W&M for students raising a family while in law school - has anyone received this yet (possibly mentioned in your scholly info)?

#2: If you've been admitted already - anyone in this group have kids?

#3: If you applied fairly early and are still waiting - do you have kids?

Just wondering if this is a factor for W&M in the admissions decision.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:55 pm

gymboree wrote:Several themed questions...

#1: There's a specific scholarship at W&M for students raising a family while in law school - has anyone received this yet (possibly mentioned in your scholly info)?

#2: If you've been admitted already - anyone in this group have kids?

#3: If you applied fairly early and are still waiting - do you have kids?

Just wondering if this is a factor for W&M in the admissions decision.

Sorry - I have no kids, and I haven't heard anything from people who do who got into W&M already.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:51 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ldoll003

Postby ldoll003 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:04 am

hey everyone!
if u got a stipend of 4000, is that total, for the whole year? or is it per month... seems it is per year... ?
and what exactly does being a graduate fellow mean?

solotee

Postby solotee » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:34 am

ldoll003 wrote:hey everyone!
if u got a stipend of 4000, is that total, for the whole year? or is it per month... seems it is per year... ?
and what exactly does being a graduate fellow mean?

4000/year

Being a graduate fellow is an honor awarded to out-of-state students which offers in-state tuition + stipend + scholarship (more for some than for others). The requirements are that you maintain out-of-state residency, work 6-10 hours/ week on campus, partake in a supplemental research credit and maintain a B average (roughly median).

My total fellowship came out to (10,200 + 4000 + 3000)/year.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:44 pm

What's everyone think about Williamsburg? What about job prospects/summer internships with federal agencies in DC?

Nikiya

Postby Nikiya » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:25 pm

According to LSN, someone with the EXACT same stats as me and who applied on the same day that I did was accepted on Thursday. My status checker still says "Application ready for review" :( wtf?!?!?

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:40 pm

Nikiya wrote:According to LSN, someone with the EXACT same stats as me and who applied on the same day that I did was accepted on Thursday. My status checker still says "Application ready for review" :( wtf?!?!?

I feel your pain. :hug:

edit: at least they're not taunting you with "Decision Pending"

Nikiya

Postby Nikiya » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:30 am

gymboree wrote:
Nikiya wrote:According to LSN, someone with the EXACT same stats as me and who applied on the same day that I did was accepted on Thursday. My status checker still says "Application ready for review" :( wtf?!?!?

I guess so. I suppose that this means they haven't even looked at my application yet, which is strange considering people with similar numbers who applied before I did have already been accepted. I feel like they're reviewing applications out of order, or at least I would like to think that. Maybe they're randomly picking one out of the stack of applications and if it's a good one, they accept that person. If it's a bad one, they toss into a big WL pile and don't notify you until March.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:32 pm

Nikiya wrote:
gymboree wrote:

I guess so. I suppose that this means they haven't even looked at my application yet, which is strange considering people with similar numbers who applied before I did have already been accepted. I feel like they're reviewing applications out of order, or at least I would like to think that. Maybe they're randomly picking one out of the stack of applications and if it's a good one, they accept that person. If it's a bad one, they toss into a big WL pile and don't notify you until March.

It goes straight from "Application ready for review" to "Decision Pending" when they have made a decision. So, they are probably looking at your application.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Just withdrew with $$. GL to everyone, I hope someone from TLS gets my spot.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:02 pm

oneforship wrote:Just withdrew with $$. GL to everyone, I hope someone from TLS gets my spot.

thanks! considerate and decisive!

solotee

Postby solotee » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:25 pm

oneforship wrote:Just withdrew with $$. GL to everyone, I hope someone from TLS gets my spot.

Can someone explain to me the strategy of withdrawing early? Wouldn't you want to use that acceptance with $$ as leverage for financial aid with schools you're actually interested in?

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm

solotee wrote:

Can someone explain to me the strategy of withdrawing early? Wouldn't you want to use that acceptance with $$ as leverage for financial aid with schools you're actually interested in?

Maybe if you went binding-ED somewhere else, or if you got into a much higher-ranked school.

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:40 pm

solotee wrote:

I believe the other school he was accepted to is ranked much higher than this one so not much leverage to be used there.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:43 pm

solotee wrote:

I've already gotten in to UVA and GULC, so W&M isn't going to offer much leverage in terms of negotiating $$ out of those two schools. To me, it made more sense to open up that spot for someone else, than save it when it couldn't be of much help to me later down the road.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:33 pm

gymboree wrote:

+1. Decision Pending since October 27th.... That's over a month... Boo

moonmaster3

Postby moonmaster3 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:56 pm

nyskidude wrote:
gymboree wrote:

+1. Decision Pending since October 27th.... That's over a month... Boo

What are your stats? If you dont mind me asking.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”