William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Modian

Re: William & Mary

Postby Modian » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:10 am

Question: are people writing LOCIs to Neal Wixson or Faye Shealy?

cbananna

Postby cbananna » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:31 am

Applied in late November, waitlisted last week with 167/3.45

2010law

Postby 2010law » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:34 am

Modian wrote:Question: are people writing LOCIs to Neal Wixson or Faye Shealy?

I never met or spoke with Dean Wixson but have met and spoken with Dean Shealy several times.
While I don't think it matters which name is on the letter, I have nothing but great things to say about Dean Shealy.

wired

Postby wired » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:14 am

2010law wrote:
Modian wrote:Question: are people writing LOCIs to Neal Wixson or Faye Shealy?

I never met or spoke with Dean Wixson but have met and spoken with Dean Shealy several times.
While I don't think it matters which name is on the letter, I have nothing but great things to say about Dean Shealy.

+1. And a +1 for Dean Wixson too. I have only briefly talked to him, but he was incredibly helpful. Dean Shealy is incredibly good to work with as well.

Modian

Postby Modian » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:37 am

Also, should I visit or send my LOCI first? Gotta get off this WL!

Bailarina08

Postby Bailarina08 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Modian wrote:Also, should I visit or send my LOCI first? Gotta get off this WL!

I was wondering this too. I'm visiting mid-April, but I think I should get my LOCI out first, then maybe a short follow-up after the visit?

Thoughts?

Ben2010

Postby Ben2010 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:06 pm

How long did it take to get your admit packet? They said it was mailed 3/15, but I still haven't recieved it, and I got a letter from them yesterday basically saying "since you've already recieved your admit packet, here's more info!".

Is there anything important in the admit packet, anyway? (Scholarship info?)

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Ben2010 wrote:How long did it take to get your admit packet? They said it was mailed 3/15, but I still haven't recieved it, and I got a letter from them yesterday basically saying "since you've already recieved your admit packet, here's more info!".

Is there anything important in the admit packet, anyway? (Scholarship info?)

Post-its and a keychain :D

2010law

Postby 2010law » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Bailarina08 wrote:

I was wondering this too. I'm visiting mid-April, but I think I should get my LOCI out first, then maybe a short follow-up after the visit?

Thoughts?

I would send the LOCI asap, visit in April and then send a quick thank you / follow up after the visit.

WithGrace23

Postby WithGrace23 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:07 pm

WL-162 3.66, Visited Thursday, and met with Dean Wixson, who was very kind and helpful.
I asked him about the wait list process, and he told me it wasn't ranked, and that in years past those who got off the wait-list had added something to their file that would make them a more attractive candidate than the first time they were reviewed, and that often times the decision about who gets off the wait list is based on who has withdrawn (As far as rounding out the class)

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:39 pm

I was waitlisted on 3/19 and I just checked my status checker, which says "Decision sent via email- 3/26/10"

Did anyone else who was waitlisted get an updated status like this? I don't have an email from W&M today, so why the update?

crm

Postby crm » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:41 pm

gatorlion wrote:I was waitlisted on 3/19 and I just checked my status checker, which says "Decision sent via email- 3/26/10"

Did anyone else who was waitlisted get an updated status like this? I don't have an email from W&M today, so why the update?

Mine is too, they probably just update them all

prelaw10

Postby prelaw10 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:52 pm

Ditto: I was wait listed 3/19, and my status checker says decision sent via e-mail 3/26 (didn't get aything).

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:42 pm

Bailarina08 wrote:

Thoughts?

You should refrain from both visiting and sending the LOCI. All reports indicate that the W&M admissions committee is merely annoyed by people who do those kinds of things, because they already have all the information they need to consider you for admission from your application.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:48 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:
Bailarina08 wrote:

Thoughts?

You should refrain from both visiting and sending the LOCI. All reports indicate that the W&M admissions committee is merely annoyed by people who do those kinds of things, because they already have all the information they need to consider you for admission from your application.

I also never got the waitlist email... but my status checker says I did. and my WL status is completely blank now.

modian, I think your idea makes sense. Send a LOCI now, then another one after you visit. And when you visit try to meet with a few professors, tell them you're on the waiting list, talk about their classes. That way in your follow-up you can talk about more than just how pretty it was.

unbeknownst

Postby unbeknownst » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:07 pm

What's the most you have heard someone receiving in W&M scholarship money ?(Not OOS) Just curious as they make it clear they don't give out full tuition scholarships.

wired

Postby wired » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 pm

How did everyone like ASW? Anyone decide they are definitely attending W&M as a result?

GatorBait09

Postby GatorBait09 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:04 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:
Bailarina08 wrote:

Thoughts?

Hmmmm, that's not really true. They told me to send a LOCI and asked if I would like to visit (which I won't).

sladegalute

Postby sladegalute » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:21 pm

unbeknownst wrote:What's the most you have heard someone receiving in W&M scholarship money ?(Not OOS) Just curious as they make it clear they don't give out full tuition scholarships.

I have heard of $15,000 a year off of in-state tuition.

Estrellas

Postby Estrellas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:42 pm

I was accepted in November with no money, but just got word of an 8k per year scholarship! I sent them an email about a month ago saying that I really wanted to attend, but had better offers to consider. I attached scanned copies of a few of these letters to the email. I guess it worked!! If you are all looking for some money, then I would highly recommend sending a scholarship negotiation letter. Best of luck!

jhawk0110

Postby jhawk0110 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Does anyone have insights into how a W&M law degree plays in the Midwest (specifically, St. Louis and KC)?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:13 pm

jhawk0110 wrote:Does anyone have insights into how a W&M law degree plays in the Midwest (specifically, St. Louis and KC)?

Not THAT well. It's not so much that W and M is unheard of in the midwest, but that alumni aren't that prevalent in those places. If you are SURE you want to go back to those places, either pray to get into WUSTL, or go to a Midwest state school (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa) or Missouri if you can finagle a scholarship out of them.

wired

Postby wired » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:26 pm

It's official - TLS is no longer healthy or useful for me. Which means I am signing off until I am a wise 3L with spare time to come back and answer questions. I look forward to meeting anyone who attends W&M next year. I will be a part of the IBRL and my name is Bryan.

See you all in 5 months.

APHill

Postby APHill » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:40 pm

it is no longer useful for me either, but i keep coming back for another hit.

jhawk0110

Postby jhawk0110 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
jhawk0110 wrote:Does anyone have insights into how a W&M law degree plays in the Midwest (specifically, St. Louis and KC)?

Not THAT well. It's not so much that W and M is unheard of in the midwest, but that alumni aren't that prevalent in those places. If you are SURE you want to go back to those places, either pray to get into WUSTL, or go to a Midwest state school (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa) or Missouri if you can finagle a scholarship out of them.

Would the fact that I have an undergraduate degree from the University of Kansas help?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”