William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sdb444

Re: William & Mary

Postby sdb444 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 am

Has anyone met with Dean Shealy before? I'm going to the ASW and was asked if I wanted to set up a meeting with her so I said yes, but I was just curious about what others talked about during their meetings with her. I'm excited to sit down with her, I just don't really know exactly how those things go.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:21 am

Padimud wrote:I too failed in with a similar response from their office. I do know from the Negotiations work thread that someone was able to gain 4K/year. However I have not seen much of anything over $23,200/ year renewable. That is including the work stipend.

So from what I have read/experienced, every so often they do negotiate - but like I said that wasn't a conversation they were going to have with me.

Yeah, I got 4k extra per year on top of an original 20,200, so I'm at 24,200 per year including Grad Fellowship. LSN shows one other person supposedly getting 73,600 (24,533 per) (but I'm guessing they added wrong from a 24,200 offer) and then my offer. However, there are an absolute ton of people between about 54,600 and 72,600, so they have a very narrow band that they operate within. According to the LSAC/ABA datasheets and LSN, they never give out full rides or fellowship+scholarship offers equaling a full ride. In fact, ~75% is probably the absolute maximum merit award from all indications.
Last edited by 84Sunbird2000 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:22 am

they're like 5-9k or so cheaper than most of my other schools...but the scholarship they gave me is 10-20k less (after negotiation) than what other schools gave me (no negotiation anywhere else, or at least not yet)

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:28 am

So today is the day for us applicants who have been DP for half a year! Pretty excited to finally receive a decision. Anyone else still waiting? DP since 11/17.

azb

Postby azb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:30 am

NYVA311 wrote:So today is the day for us applicants who have been DP for half a year! Pretty excited to finally receive a decision. Anyone else still waiting? DP since 11/17.

how about DP since 12/17??

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:33 am

Since W&M at sticker isn't one of my top choices, I'm thinking about withdrawing. It seems like one has to commit to paying sticker, and then they may offer aid? That doesn't really sit well with me, I have to say.

I was considering attending admitted students day this weekend before I made my decision but it seems like a lot of effort and expense.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:35 am

azb wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:So today is the day for us applicants who have been DP for half a year! Pretty excited to finally receive a decision. Anyone else still waiting? DP since 11/17.

how about DP since 12/17??

I may be being a bit optimistic, but we did survive a batch of rejections, so....could be better news than I'm expecting?

sapp

Postby sapp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 am

I thought all the waitlists were the decisions we were supposed to receive by 3/24.

Were you not waitlisted?

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 am

sapp wrote:

I thought all the waitlists were the decisions we were supposed to receive by 3/24.

Were you not waitlisted?

I wasn't wait listed, rejected, or accepted. Maybe it's just me? Idk, thought it was kind of odd that I wasn't in any of the batches. Especially because I've been waiting longer than a lot of people who did receive decisions.

nsinger

Postby nsinger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:16 pm

becauseimaddicted wrote:Admitted last Friday. Anyone care to guess if there is still scholarship money available? I've received good offers from comparably ranked schools so it would be hard for me to justify paying sticker at W&M.

I e-mailed Faye Shealy a few months back asking if they were willing to negotiate scholarships. She e-mailed me yesterday upping my fellowship by 2 grand. I'd say e-mail her, shes real nice and W&M just entered my list of most amazing places after they just e-mailed me back with more money when all I asked was if it was negotiable. Seriously not trying to step on anybody's toes, sorry if I did just on cloud 9 right now. GO TRIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:52 pm

Is anyone else still waiting for a decision?

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:55 pm

nsinger wrote:
becauseimaddicted wrote:Admitted last Friday. Anyone care to guess if there is still scholarship money available? I've received good offers from comparably ranked schools so it would be hard for me to justify paying sticker at W&M.

I e-mailed Faye Shealy a few months back asking if they were willing to negotiate scholarships. She e-mailed me yesterday upping my fellowship by 2 grand. I'd say e-mail her, shes real nice and W&M just entered my list of most amazing places after they just e-mailed me back with more money when all I asked was if it was negotiable. Seriously not trying to step on anybody's toes, sorry if I did just on cloud 9 right now. GO TRIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May I be so bold as to ask what your numbers and scholarship are? I am 170/3.62. Perhaps its presumptous of me to expect anything, but there's really nothing pulling me to W&M over other comparable schools that have offered generous scholarships.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:01 pm

To those of you who were wait listed or rejected, what does your status checker show? I'm beginning to think there was a mix up with my application, because it went from DP to blank on Monday and I haven't heard back yet.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:05 pm

anyone write a LOCI yet?

seattlite

Postby seattlite » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:11 pm

NYVA311 wrote:To those of you who were wait listed or rejected, what does your status checker show? I'm beginning to think there was a mix up with my application, because it went from DP to blank on Monday and I haven't heard back yet.

I got waitlisted on 03/19/10 with the slew of other people. I was DP even after I got the waitlist e-mail, but I just checked my status-checker and it is now blank (it has term, year, program time, and degree, but nothing else). There is nothing under mailings to indicate waitlist either (only thing listed is the initial "application has been received" notice). There are still 2 items under fees (the first "application fee" and the second seat deposit", which has $0s listed). Hope this helps.

It sounds like you might want to call W&M and ask what is going on...especially since today is 03/24/10, the magic date listed on their website as "We anticipate decisions for all applicants will be sent no later than March 24.". :wink:

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Headybrah wrote:anyone write a LOCI yet?

Not yet, but I did visit yesterday and speak to Dean Wixson, Assistant Dean for Admission.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:27 pm

seattlite wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:To those of you who were wait listed or rejected, what does your status checker show? I'm beginning to think there was a mix up with my application, because it went from DP to blank on Monday and I haven't heard back yet.

I got waitlisted on 03/19/10 with the slew of other people. I was DP even after I got the waitlist e-mail, but I just checked my status-checker and it is now blank (it has term, year, program time, and degree, but nothing else). There is nothing under mailings to indicate waitlist either (only thing listed is the initial "application has been received" notice). There are still 2 items under fees (the first "application fee" and the second seat deposit", which has $0s listed). Hope this helps.

It sounds like you might want to call W&M and ask what is going on...especially since today is 03/24/10, the magic date listed on their website as "We anticipate decisions for all applicants will be sent no later than March 24.". :wink:

Thanks! That's exactly what I have. Maybe they meant to wait list/reject me but forgot to send the e-mail? I'm going to wait until today's over and then contact them tomorrow if everything stays the same.

everysky

Postby everysky » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 am

Same here. I think it's common.

set88

Postby set88 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:28 am

nsinger wrote:

That's pretty awesome. What exactly did you say?

Bailarina08

Postby Bailarina08 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:11 pm

mhd08 wrote:

Not yet, but I did visit yesterday and speak to Dean Wixson, Assistant Dean for Admission.

Do you think it did any good? Care to share your numbers?

I have my LOCI drafted, and plan on sending tomorrow or Monday.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Anyone know when the first seat deposit is due? Is it April 15?

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:13 pm

seat dep is due may 1--just talked to admissions

Ill probably be withdrawing from the waitlist.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks, appreciate it.

nsinger

Postby nsinger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:55 pm

becauseimaddicted wrote:
nsinger wrote:

May I be so bold as to ask what your numbers and scholarship are? I am 170/3.62. Perhaps its presumptous of me to expect anything, but there's really nothing pulling me to W&M over other comparable schools that have offered generous scholarships.

165/3.75 but I've been admitted since I believe December and have had pretty good contact with people over there. I'd say definitely shoot someone an e-mail what's the worst that could happen?
set88 wrote:
nsinger wrote:

That's pretty awesome. What exactly did you say?

I pretty much just said I'm very seriously considering William & Mary, however I've also gotten very good offers from similarly prestigious schools. She e-mailed me back with an upped offer. Kind of surreal I actually forgot I had sent it. However, I had spoken to her before so I'm guessing she had remembered my name.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 am

Bailarina08 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:

Do you think it did any good? Care to share your numbers?

I have my LOCI drafted, and plan on sending tomorrow or Monday.

I can't be sure if it helped, but it DEFINITELY can't hurt as long as you don't say anything stupid. I mean, at least when he reviews my application again he'll (hopefully) remember me because he can put a face to a name. I'm 161/3.3x so I'm not expecting to get off the waitlist, but I have to at least know I made every attempt to get off of it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”