William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
insertclevernamehere

Re: William & Mary

Postby insertclevernamehere » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:07 am

This waitlist is epic...it seems like they just couldn't wipe the smiles off of our bright, shiny faces.

CTPhIst

Postby CTPhIst » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:08 am

insertclevernamehere wrote:This waitlist is epic...it seems like they just couldn't wipe the smiles off of our bright, shiny faces.

Certainly appears that way doesn't it.

ausoccer19

Postby ausoccer19 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 am

Waitlisted as well. Really want W & M because my wife will be stationed in Norfolk for the Navy for 4 years and WM is by far the most convenient and viable option

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:30 am

Not sure where you got the "just because" part of "every soft that anyone could wish for." AA Male is a huge factor in softs but for WM, I believe I read somewhere being in the military was also a huge plus. I agree that the knee jerk reaction of "URM" to your below median performance on both criteria used to judge a candidates law school admittance is a little out of line but you are kind of being a jerk about it by shoving it in people's faces who got higher scores when you know that your soft factors had a huge part in your admittance.

I fully admit that it was my soft factors and my circumstances that helped me get in. Most people say oh well if he got in with those numbers, he must be a URM with the implication that is the only reason. The notion is offensive to me and I believe it is more than a little out of line. As I said there are other URMs with better numbers that did not get in including AA males. As far as my character is concerned, I'm not here to be liked by you, I'm here to learn from you and any others that are willing to teach from their perspective. Instead of focusing on me shoving my accomplishment in people's faces, look at the point of my previous post, which was the manner in which I framed my application. You may choose to frame you LOCI in the same manner. In any case good luck.

Villager - You missed the point of what I was saying, in any event good luck to you in all of your future endeavors as well.
Last edited by mhernton on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am

Wow, why are all of the posts on here getting so dark and mean spirited? I got rejected from W&M, didn't expect anything less, but I'm not hating on anyone that has. The selection process is what it is and I'm sure the fact that W&M got enundated with more applications than they knew what to do with was a serious contributing factor. Let's just be happy for those that got in and move on.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:39 am

r6_philly wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Bustang wrote:Judging by the caliber (or lack thereof, no offense anyone) of those who were waitlisted, I see maybe 1-2 people getting admitted off of it.

Speak for yourself, dude. People with numbers lower than me got really nice scholarships from W&M. In fact, I saw quite a few people with really good numbers who got WL'ed

LSP says "admit" for me at Michigan and below... Then again maybe I am lacking caliber.

Yield Protect.

I was 170/3.34 waitlisted. I don't know if that's YP or not, but... oh well.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:02 pm

My status checker went blank today. Anyone else? At least I'm not DP anymore....

sapp

Postby sapp » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:08 pm

NYVA311 wrote:My status checker went blank today. Anyone else? At least I'm not DP anymore....

Likewise

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:12 pm

You think a decision is coming today? Not sure why else it would change. It hasn't since early November.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm

lol... why did William and Mary go nuts waitlisting people with 166+? I'm better off without their instiTTTution

sapp

Postby sapp » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:25 pm

NYVA311 wrote:You think a decision is coming today? Not sure why else it would change. It hasn't since early November.

Usually thats what a blank status checker means - but my numbers should have me dinged so I'm not getting too excited over it.

Good luck!

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:30 pm

So I was waitlisted on Friday, and I'm headed to W&M tomorrow for a tour and appointment with an admissions dean. How dressy should I get for this? I'm thinking business casual... slacks and a nice sweater, or maybe a blazer? I'm a girl, if that helps.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:30 pm

sapp wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:You think a decision is coming today? Not sure why else it would change. It hasn't since early November.

Usually thats what a blank status checker means - but my numbers should have me dinged so I'm not getting too excited over it.

Good luck!

Same here. Good luck to you too!

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:36 pm

mhd08 wrote:So I was waitlisted on Friday, and I'm headed to W&M tomorrow for a tour and appointment with an admissions dean. How dressy should I get for this? I'm thinking business casual... slacks and a nice sweater, or maybe a blazer? I'm a girl, if that helps.

If you're going to sit in on a class, I'd go without the blazer. Look "nice", but i wouldn't approach formal.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:37 pm

was waitlisted on friday. 3.5/171. i applied late so i am not suprised.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:40 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:lol... why did William and Mary go nuts waitlisting people with 166+? I'm better off without their instiTTTution

lol. come on. what are they ranked? 30 something? 28. They're ranked 28. That's not really TTT......

wired

Postby wired » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 pm

It's official. I committed this morning. Williamsburg, here I come.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 pm

wired wrote:It's official. I committed this morning. Williamsburg, here I come.

congrats on making your decision! scary as hell?

wired

Postby wired » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

sibley wrote:

congrats on making your decision! scary as hell?

You know, it was much weirder than I thought it would be. It was obvious to me that W&M is the right choice. Still, when it came time to fill out the SOI, I kept thinking, "Well, what if this happens before August... would W&M still be right?" I think it was just weird grappling with the idea that I would be done with my cycle.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:26 pm

I got waitlisted, so add me to the firing squad apparently. William and Mary is my top choice however I hope most of the students aren't all suck up pricks like some of the posters on this thread that I have read. Ah well, what should you expect at law school? I'm willing to hang on the waitlist until late July. If I haven't heard back by then I will have moved to a second choice school. Good luck to everyone else and congrads to those that have been admitted.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:29 pm

darknightbegins wrote:I got waitlisted, so add me to the firing squad apparently. William and Mary is my top choice however I hope most of the students aren't all suck up pricks like some of the posters on this thread that I have read. Ah well, what should you expect at law school? I'm willing to hang on the waitlist until late July. If I haven't heard back by then I will have moved to a second choice school. Good luck to everyone else and congrads to those that have been admitted.

I think forums usually lend themselves to jerks and even if people at w&m are you'll be able to find plenty of nice ones =)

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Bustang wrote:Judging by the caliber (or lack thereof, no offense anyone) of those who were waitlisted, I see maybe 1-2 people getting admitted off of it.

It all makes sense now. I have no caliber. *nods* Thanks for the heads up.

Waitlisted this weekend: 169/3.5

Congrats on completing your cycle!!

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:35 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:

It all makes sense now. I have no caliber. *nods* Thanks for the heads up.

Waitlisted this weekend: 169/3.5
Congrats on completing your cycle!!

I also am caliber-less. 170/3.34. Wash U let me in, though. And W&L. whatevs.

GatorBait09

Postby GatorBait09 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:40 pm

lunu wrote:just sent in my LOCI.

Puerto Rican. Still in UGrad, good softs, great LORs, sob-story, 164/3(ish).

Honestly, they could've wait listed me because I applied late or because my GPA is weak or because they hated my PS. I don't know.

I really want to go to William & Mary. Really. I totally buy the citizen lawyer shtick. I'm really affected by it. If anyone's on the fence with a better option please consider withdrawing.

HA!

I seriously laughed at this.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:47 pm

GatorBait09 wrote:
lunu wrote:just sent in my LOCI.

Puerto Rican. Still in UGrad, good softs, great LORs, sob-story, 164/3(ish).

Honestly, they could've wait listed me because I applied late or because my GPA is weak or because they hated my PS. I don't know.

I really want to go to William & Mary. Really. I totally buy the citizen lawyer shtick. I'm really affected by it. If anyone's on the fence with a better option please consider withdrawing.

HA!

I seriously laughed at this.

Does Puerto Rican help your URM story? Hah nice one on the sob-story, at least you are honest about pulling out all the stops with playing up the "Poor minority" card. If I wasn't as white as the driven snow perhaps I'd be tempted to do the same, so I'm not necessarily hating on you for doing it (I just haven't decided yet). But shit, at least you are honest.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”