William & Mary Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
84Sunbird2000

Silver

Re: William & Mary

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:31 pm

mhernton wrote:
You may assume whatever you wish. My admission to W&M and consideration at Cornell means that the adcoms actually do look past numbers...You have to think about what I had in my package to make them even consider admitting me with my stats...

So, what was it that was so amazing about your package?

It does seem like W and M looks beyond the numbers on occasion. There is a 157/3.22 non-URM admit on here and LSN as well. 155/2.2 admit is extraordinary, though URM status (if true) would indeed make outsiders look at it more like a...I don't know... 162/2.6 adjusted. Which would still be a significant upset and worthy of a hearty congratulations.

It even appears they look beyond the numbers when it comes to scholarship awards. I've been awarded the most $$ of everyone on LSN (which I couldn't believe when I decided to check it out today), and I'm on page 3 if you sort by LSAT. I really like a lot about W and M, but I definitely have to visit before really making an informed decision.

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm

mhernton wrote:
You may assume whatever you wish. My admission to W&M and consideration at Cornell means that the adcoms actually do look past numbers....You have to think about what I had in my package to make them even consider admitting me with my stats...

Ok, such as?

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11 pm

autoding wrote:
mhernton wrote:
You may assume whatever you wish. My admission to W&M and consideration at Cornell means that the adcoms actually do look past numbers....You have to think about what I had in my package to make them even consider admitting me with my stats...

Ok, such as?
With those numbers, I am thinking that this must be the 157/2.2 guy on LSN (just lsat fudged 2 points on LSN). The 157/2.2 LSN guy has some pretty good softs:

2x World Champion Athlete
9x National Champion
Who's Who of American Junior colleges
Dean's list
University Judiciary board member
Dorm Council member
Mayor's town council member
Campus ministry
20 yrs volunteer service
Editor college annual
Fundraiser 5 yrs for childrens hospital
Extensive / successful work history

Is this you? Or do your softs somehow beat this?

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:13 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
autoding wrote:
mhernton wrote:

Ok, such as?
With those numbers, I am thinking that this must be the 157/2.2 guy on LSN (just lsat fudged 2 points on LSN). The 157/2.2 LSN guy has some pretty good softs:

9x National Champion
Dean's list
Dorm Council member
Campus ministry
20 yrs volunteer service
Editor college annual

Naw, that person is a 157/ 3.22 (3 emphasized), and they are on TLS with a William and Mary logo for an avatar. This is a different person.

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:15 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:
autoding wrote:
mhernton wrote:

Ok, such as?

9x National Champion
Dean's list
Dorm Council member
Campus ministry
20 yrs volunteer service
Editor college annual

Naw, that person is a 157/ 3.22 (3 emphasized), and they are on TLS with a William and Mary logo for an avatar. This is a different person.
Wow, I was off! Not sure how I made that big of a mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:22 pm

mhernton wrote:
2.2/155 admit here, must be a lot of pissed off people...
[/quote]

Ok so you're 11 years out of ug with a masters, you're a combat veteran, and an URM.

Congratulations on the acceptance but thats a little different situation than a normal 2.2/155 so I don't really see the point of just posting "2.2/155 admit here", its not comparable.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:57 am

autoding wrote:
mhernton wrote:

Ok so you're 11 years out of ug with a masters, you're a combat veteran, and an URM.

Congratulations on the acceptance but thats a little different situation than a normal 2.2/155 so I don't really see the point of just posting "2.2/155 admit here", its not comparable.[/quote]

STILL, that acceptance is epic with those numbers. Congrats mherton!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:18 am

autoding wrote:
mhernton wrote:

Congratulations on the acceptance but thats a little different situation than a normal 2.2/155 so I don't really see the point of just posting "2.2/155 admit here", its not comparable.
I think this every time I see him posting about his "unlikely" admission to W&M. I was happy for him at first, but let it rest already - you had just about every soft that anyone could wish for.

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:24 am

Vincent Vega wrote:
autoding wrote:
mhernton wrote:

I think this every time I see him posting about his "unlikely" admission to W&M. I was happy for him at first, but let it rest already - you had just about every soft that anyone could wish for.
Besides being a blacksmith at Colonial Williamsburg that is :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sunnygirl

Bronze

Post by sunnygirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:41 am

I guess this year the waitlist is getting really long~ They just put almost everyone they hold into waitlist. When I called to keep gtrack of my file on March 8th, the lady said your file is within the files that are going to be reviewed(second time?). Now it seems that they just read them quickly again and decided to put us in waitlist.
I don't think I'm optimistic about getting out of the waitlist........

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:15 am

sunnygirl wrote:I guess this year the waitlist is getting really long~ They just put almost everyone they hold into waitlist. When I called to keep gtrack of my file on March 8th, the lady said your file is within the files that are going to be reviewed(second time?). Now it seems that they just read them quickly again and decided to put us in waitlist.
I don't think I'm optimistic about getting out of the waitlist........
It may be long, but there are also a heck of a lot people who are removing themselves from it this week or have done so already. W&M also rejected a substantial amount of people; it's just not reflected on this forum.

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:52 pm

i am going to stay on this wait list (3.3, 163). doubt i will be taken off of it, but i'm in-state and that lower tuition is pretty good. good luck to everyone on the wait list!

cariberry

New

Post by cariberry » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:05 pm

WL Friday, took myself off. Good luck, WLers!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mhernton

Bronze

Post by mhernton » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:59 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
autoding wrote:
mhernton wrote:

I'll let it rest just as soon as people stop assuming that I got in 'just because' I'm an AA Male. There are URMs on the WL with better numbers that didn't get in. It bothers me to see people that have as much experience with the application process and adcoms as every other layman giving advice to people about where they should apply to school based on some contrived notion that the LSAT/GPA combination is the end all be all. It is also irritating for me and people like me, you know with horrible numbers, to read posts from people that feel they are entitled to something because they have a LSAT score and GPA that fall within the numbers. As for the rest of my softs -

-only 9 years out of undergrad
-Abused kid who left home at 17 to join the Marines
-earn the opportunity for a commission at the US Naval Academy
-3 knee surgeries while at the Academy
-a funeral every year I was there
-Mother and Aunt had Cancer while I was there (mother survived, aunt died 6 months after graduation)
-Volunteered at the Pediatric Oncology Ward at Johns Hopkins University Hospital 3 years
-Stationed in Japan for two years as a Navy Officer
-Combat Tour in Iraq with the Marines
-MBA from UCSD 2006 -2008
-Consulted on two Tech Start-ups
-Worked Full time as a Financial Advisor from 2007 - 2008
-Leadership positions within the MBA class
-Defense Consultant
-mentoring inner city youth
-Recalled to Active duty
-trained 40+sailors for Force Protection & anti-piracy mission in the Horn of Africa and middle east
-Deployed to Kuwait and took the LSAT while in the middle of operations, and applied to Law School from over there
-Entrepreneur

Those are the highlights, but the softs are somewhat less important than conveying what W&M wants in a candidate. William & Mary Law School is after candidates that are interested in serving others. That is what I conveyed in my application. My Personal Statement didn't focus on my softs, it talked about my failures. A kid that got kicked out of the Marines because I couldn't push him hard enough to get legal counsel. He trusted me, but I wasn't an attorney and he refused to trust anyone else. It talked about one of the Start-ups that failed because I didn't have enough of a legal education to push my friend and client to get promises in writing that obligated other parties instead of just trusting hand shakes and agreements. He lost close to 200K in that deal and the opportunity to make millions because he didn't have legal counsel. The optional essay talked about the thing I was most proud of, which was sending a young Ecuadorian immigrant from my ship in Japan to the US Naval Academy and watching him graduate with the class of 2009.

Of course this is all conjecture, I wasn't on the Adcom. I could have been the first AA male to apply and just got lucky...

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:14 pm

mhernton wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:
autoding wrote:
mhernton wrote:

I'll let it rest just as soon as people stop assuming that I got in 'just because' I'm an AA Male. .
Not sure where you got the "just because" part of "every soft that anyone could wish for." AA Male is a huge factor in softs but for WM, I believe I read somewhere being in the military was also a huge plus. I agree that the knee jerk reaction of "URM" to your below median performance on both criteria used to judge a candidates law school admittance is a little out of line but you are kind of being a jerk about it by shoving it in people's faces who got higher scores when you know that your soft factors had a huge part in your admittance.

ViIIager

Bronze

Post by ViIIager » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:50 pm

mhernton, I love your post. Your three knee surgeries were what got you into W&M, no doubt about it. The attendance at funerals contributed, to be sure, but I think the knees really scored it for you. :roll:

+1 for coming into the thread and complaining because someone played the URM card. You got in--go celebrate instead of writing an autobiography on TLS to convince people you're just an everyman. I think your softs are incredible, but man, getting THAT defensive is ridiculous. You brought it on yourself with the "must be a lot of pissed off people" comment.

Protip: convincing every last person on TLS that you're Godlike only amounts to a small increase in ePeen size, and means absolutely nothing outside of the interwebs.

lunu

New

Post by lunu » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:16 pm

just sent in my LOCI.

Puerto Rican. Still in UGrad, good softs, great LORs, sob-story, 164/3(ish).

Honestly, they could've wait listed me because I applied late or because my GPA is weak or because they hated my PS. I don't know.

I really want to go to William & Mary. Really. I totally buy the citizen lawyer shtick. I'm really affected by it. If anyone's on the fence with a better option please consider withdrawing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Judging by the caliber (or lack thereof, no offense anyone) of those who were waitlisted, I see maybe 1-2 people getting admitted off of it.

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Bustang wrote:Judging by the caliber (or lack thereof, no offense anyone) of those who were waitlisted, I see maybe 1-2 people getting admitted off of it.
I thought I saw some pretty good applicants on the waitlist. What exactly are you considering "lack of caliber"?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:53 pm

Bustang wrote:Judging by the caliber (or lack thereof, no offense anyone) of those who were waitlisted, I see maybe 1-2 people getting admitted off of it.
Speak for yourself, dude. People with numbers lower than me got really nice scholarships from W&M. In fact, I saw quite a few people with really good numbers who got WL'ed

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:10 am

dakatz wrote:
Speak for yourself, dude. People with numbers lower than me got really nice scholarships from W&M. In fact, I saw quite a few people with really good numbers who got WL'ed
LSP says "admit" for me at Michigan and below... Then again maybe I am lacking caliber.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70oaQR6tKE

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 am

Waitlisted as well... DP since 10/27. 163/3.84

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:59 am

Effort to get more in the way of scholarship . . . failed.

CTPhIst

New

Post by CTPhIst » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 am

Waitlisted at 3.2/161

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”