William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
braudelaire

Re: William & Mary

Postby braudelaire » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:04 am

The wait is absolute torture, but I also benefited from it. I applied in early December but was not able to schedule a visit until late Feb. If they followed the usual rolling admissions process, I would have certainly been waitlisted or rejected before having the chance to visit and meet with Faye Shealy in person. Even if I don't get in, my meeting with her and continued correspondence afterward DEFINITELY improved my chances significantly.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 am

ViIIager wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:Consider all the elements now, as if you had been accepted, and you'll be able to make a decision just the same.

Wouldn't that require a visit, which means time off of work, travel, possibly hotel+flight, etc.?

I went the easy way and just sent my seat deposit in. To another school.

This is probably what's going to happen. W&M is way too much of a change for me. That sounds presumptuous because I haven't been accepted, but moving to VA and leaving my network (professional, family, and SO) for a school of similar caliber to what I have now is not very appealing to me, even if it is cheaper.

I'm still interested to hear their decision, but...eh.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 am

I visited in September, right after I sent my application in. Me and Dean Shealy bonded over macular degeneration, that has to get me in right? lol

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 pm

I think people in at T14s or those with T14 numbers are most definitely shopping around.

WM is a great school but there are quite a few schools ahead of it on USNEWS and other rankings. Its LSAT numbers are lower then T14s and the average income is less.

As a VA resident, its my top choice because of price and the school's strength. The area is nice and the school offers good job prospects in the state and DC.

That being said, the wait is getting old. I spoke with the office yesterday and they hoped to finalize decisions through the end of this week into the next.

Its interesting UVA, Duke, Vandy, and Minnesota all managed to let me know about being on their waitlist in a prompt and polite fashion. Its also interesting the other VA school (W&L) managed to get an acceptance out early January with money soon thereafter. They are not the same level, but also aren't that bad of school.

That being said, I am still hopeful for WM and can do nothing but endure the wait.

klussy

Postby klussy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:56 pm

freeman09 wrote: Its also interesting the other VA school (W&L) managed to get an acceptance out early January with money soon thereafter. They are not the same level, but also aren't that bad of school.

I agree, but not on this one point. They're virtually tied, rankings-wise. In previous years, W&L has been 5 or so spots ahead.

Rankings aside, W&L is classier when it comes to handling admissions, as you've noted. Visits to ASD are covered for travel and lodging, for you and your guests. They're prompt and courteous in all communication. Definitely not on the same level as W&M...in a good way.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:58 pm

I agree they are close. On pure rankings this year WM takes its but I think the educational quality is comparable and the degrees are both equitable.

They offer better service. Could be the difference between public and private.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 pm

freeman09 wrote:I agree they are close. On pure rankings this year WM takes its but I think the educational quality is comparable and the degrees are both equitable.

What gets me about W&L is it's in the middle of nowhere, which can be hard to find externships and the like close by. W&M lacks urban life as well, but is much closer.

SAE

Postby SAE » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Can anyone else confirm WM's been calling recommenders?

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:28 pm

SAE wrote:Can anyone else confirm WM's been calling recommenders?

If they are, I hope they're not calling mine this week...it's spring break :(

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:34 pm

W&M must've really not liked my application. I feel like my numbers are fairly strong, and I wrote the optional essay! I've been DP since October. Oh well :) congrats to those who got accepted from DP yesterday! Must be quite a relief.

tyjole

Postby tyjole » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Withdrew yesterday. Hopefully one of you gets my scholarship offer and spot. Good luck to you all.

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm

SAE wrote:Can anyone else confirm WM's been calling recommenders?

I've only heard rumors (a friend of a friend type thing) of W&M calling recommenders. I've not seen anyone on here say that has actually happened to them.

dudester

Postby dudester » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm growing tired of W&M's TTT admissions process.

Mich33

Postby Mich33 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm pretty sure they didn't contact mine. When I told one of my recommenders that I had been accepted to W&M, he acted surprised that I had applied to W&M. His reaction kinda led me to believe that they did not contact him.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:01 pm

dudester wrote:I'm growing tired of W&M's TTT admissions process.

Why? They told us up front that most applicants wouldn't hear until late March. I knew that from the start...

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:03 pm

Slimpee wrote:

Why? They told us up front that most applicants wouldn't hear until late March. I knew that from the start...

+1 WM has always been very upfront and transparent with their admissions process with me, after meeting with representatives at two separate law fairs.

wired

Postby wired » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:15 pm

Slimpee wrote:

+1. W&M does not hide the fact that their stated goal is late March. Contrast that with other schools who simply say, "yeah, we'll let you know when possible..." (I am looking at you UCI!)

dudester

Postby dudester » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:20 pm

traehekat wrote:
Slimpee wrote:

+1 WM has always been very upfront and transparent with their admissions process with me, after meeting with representatives at two separate law fairs.

RC fail.

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Slimpee wrote:

Would you choose WM over Iowa?

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:09 pm

robin600 wrote:
freeman09 wrote:I agree they are close. On pure rankings this year WM takes its but I think the educational quality is comparable and the degrees are both equitable.

What gets me about W&L is it's in the middle of nowhere, which can be hard to find externships and the like close by. W&M lacks urban life as well, but is much closer.

I think we will require flexibility for summer jobs, internships, externships, etc. W&L is out there but WM is far enough to make driving a pain to Richmond, Hampton Roads, or DC.

After living in the VA Beach area, Williamsburg is as good as a three or four hour drive in the summer or when the tunnels back up.

klussy

Postby klussy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:19 pm

traehekat wrote:
Slimpee wrote:

being transparent about a policy doesn't preclude that policy from sucking.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Not as bad as Emory's.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 pm

I think everyone is ready for the process to end and to make decisions.

Even if it stinks, I'd still sign up knowing what I know. I doubt they'll change anything.

At least Emory keeps you from status checker checking...

wired

Postby wired » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 am

Well, I am at the airport, waiting for my redeye to Norfolk. Going to watch last night's episode of Lost, hopefully get two or hours of sleep before my flight takes off, then down some sleeping pills. Tomorrow, I see Wythe Hall. I will let everyone know how the trip goes.

parks1388

Postby parks1388 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:48 am

The campus is beautiful...especially if you're into colonial history. I just visited the other day and loved it. The honors system is great and the community seems awesome, just make sure you go business casual. Students and such were mostly in jeans (not that I would where jeans, just don't make the same mistake I did and come in dressed to the nines). If all money were equal I'd def go there, but WM's 8k to IU-B's full ride is just not cutting it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”