William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chicoalto0649

Re: William & Mary

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Why are people saying "no news is bad news"? I've been DP since January 14.....sorry I only check out this thread once in a blue moon

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:06 pm

I think the wait is bothering people.

WM is my first choice if admitted. (seeing as I am waitlisted at Duke and UVA)

The wait is old. I don't think it says much except we are not in the highest select group for WM.

southerngrace

Postby southerngrace » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:07 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Why are people saying "no news is bad news"? I've been DP since January 14.....sorry I only check out this thread once in a blue moon

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be so negative. I'm just frustrated. People are saying that because if you look at this thread and LSN, you see a lot of acceptances, but no rejections or waitlists. This means all of those rejections and waitlists are going to come from people who are currently DP. However, I'm sure there will be some acceptances too, or else they would have completed their admission cycle.

Hakuna Matata.

Auroch

Postby Auroch » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 pm

southerngrace wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:Why are people saying "no news is bad news"? I've been DP since January 14.....sorry I only check out this thread once in a blue moon

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be so negative. I'm just frustrated. People are saying that because if you look at this thread and LSN, you see a lot of acceptances, but no rejections or waitlists. This means all of those rejections and waitlists are going to come from people who are currently DP. However, I'm sure there will be some acceptances too, or else they would have completed their admission cycle.

Hakuna Matata.

I didn't really follow this, are you saying people that haven't heard yet will most likely get rejected?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Auroch wrote:
southerngrace wrote:

Hakuna Matata.

I didn't really follow this, are you saying people that haven't heard yet will most likely get rejected?

I am gonna go out on a limb and say unless W&M wants to have like a 27 person entering class, they are not done accepting people.

wired

Postby wired » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Auroch wrote:
southerngrace wrote:

Hakuna Matata.

Yes, history shows that W&M admits a lot of students as they go, then hold all of the WLs and Rejections until April. While some do get in past that, the vast majority are unable to receive admittance.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:13 pm

How many people are actually admitted?

If they let 22% of 5000 people in last year, then roughly 1100 received admittance letters.

If I am correct, then quite a few acceptances will go out if only the top selections are in now, especially seeing as WM does not offer tons of money, and most with acceptances also noted money.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Pretty much everyone accepted so far got a scholarship. Clearly, not all students at W&M have scholarships.

The sticker price admits are DP. The rejects are DP. The waitlists are DP.

flowerpot

Postby flowerpot » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:14 pm

I just called and asked W&M's admissions office when we would be hearing something (I've been DP since 1/20) and they said within the next two weeks, and possibly starting at the end of this week!!! We're almost there!

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Decision Pending 10/27/2009. I'm a little bewildered because I've already had decisions from most the upper T1 schools I applied to.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Then we might as rest with confidence in our numbers and where we are in, not in, or waitlisted now. It'll be soon enough.

Its frustrating since T14 schools managed to let know about being waitlisted weeks ago but what can I do?

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:00 pm

I've been DP since 10/6. I'm not expecting anything other than rejection.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:15 pm

eandy wrote:Pretty much everyone accepted so far got a scholarship. Clearly, not all students at W&M have scholarships.

This makes me kind of sad...I really hoped I'd be in the running for a scholarship (166, 3.6x). Sigh, I guess W&M just doesn't like me for some reason.

Edited for typo.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:30 pm

eandy wrote:Pretty much everyone accepted so far got a scholarship. Clearly, not all students at W&M have scholarships.

This is interesting! There have been some 164s accepted, but all with 3.7+ GPAs. If they are still waiting to dip into their sticker price admits, I wonder how far down the GPA column they will slide with the 164s. Or, of course, it could be the case that at this point they are looking a bit more holistically and it will therefore be more unpredictable. Either way, this gave me a little hope since I've always really liked WM but I have never liked my chances.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:35 pm

traehekat wrote:

This is interesting! There have been some 164s accepted, but all with 3.7+ GPAs. If they are still waiting to dip into their sticker price admits, I wonder how far down the GPA column they will slide with the 164s. Or, of course, it could be the case that at this point they are looking a bit more holistically and it will therefore be more unpredictable. Either way, this gave me a little hope since I've always really liked WM but I have never liked my chances.

We're number twins so I hope you're right.

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:29 pm

I was looking at the letter of intent form and noticed the second option seems to allow you to delay your decision to May 1st with the understanding that non submission of seat deposit by May 1st will automatically take you out of the admission pool. Am I reading this right? Anyone else read this differently?

crm

Postby crm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:33 pm

eandy wrote:
traehekat wrote:

We're number twins so I hope you're right.

Same here!

Lost in Eden

Postby Lost in Eden » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:53 pm

I visited the school at the end of last week. The Admissions office staff told me that they received about 1000 more applications this year than last, but that they hope to have all decisions out by the end of this week/next week. Good luck to my fellow DPers!

georgetown.hopeful

Postby georgetown.hopeful » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 pm

just got my acceptance today, so it seems like you guys are right and the decisions should be rolling in. good luck to all : )

JohnHawkins

Postby JohnHawkins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Well, I'm more or less locked in for class of 2013 - got my exceedingly polite email from UVA during Spring Break. To those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking so long! Hopefully I'll see you at the ASW?

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:05 pm

georgetown.hopeful wrote:just got my acceptance today, so it seems like you guys are right and the decisions should be rolling in. good luck to all : )

Via status checker, mail, email, phone call, how? Were you DP for awhile or, more or less, an auto-admit? Did you get a scholly? Pray tell, pray tell.
Last edited by Thomas Jefferson on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

georgetown.hopeful

Postby georgetown.hopeful » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
georgetown.hopeful wrote:just got my acceptance today, so it seems like you guys are right and the decisions should be rolling in. good luck to all : )

Via status checker, mail, email, phone call, how? Pray tell!!!

oh! sorry! it came through regular mail today! i only put in 2 weeks ago after receiving a fee waiver so i was kind of surprised to hear back so soon and was not even looking at status checker yet...

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:10 pm

georgetown.hopeful wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:

Via status checker, mail, email, phone call, how? Pray tell!!!

oh! sorry! it came through regular mail today! i only put in 2 weeks ago after receiving a fee waiver so i was kind of surprised to hear back so soon and was not even looking at status checker yet...

That's awesome. Congrats on the acceptance. It doesn't seem like you were part of the DP pile so many are in though. Hopefully, it's a sign of some movement to come though.

georgetown.hopeful

Postby georgetown.hopeful » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

Via status checker, mail, email, phone call, how? Were you DP for awhile or, more or less, an auto-admit? Did you get a scholly? Pray tell, pray tell.

...and i did get a fellowship + scholarship...sorry forgot to mention that :)

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:20 pm

georgetown.hopeful wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:

...and i did get a fellowship + scholarship...sorry forgot to mention that :)

don't let em see your username

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”