William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wired

Re: William & Mary

Postby wired » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Padimud,

From what I can tell, all of the students on the graduate fellowship feel the work is definitely worth the time and is not incredibly demanding. The more demanding fellowship work that can occur during 2L and 3L is generally very good resume material (i.e. research for professors).

You should enroll. I am not definitely enrolling, but my wife and I are pretty sure we'll be committing soon. More than one BYU student would not hurt. ;)

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Yeah, I've been wondering about the 8-10 hours as well. It's such a small commitment of time, but it seems like it might loom larger when one is in class intermittently every day. Is it 2 hours a day for four days, 4 hours a day for two days, your whole Saturday, or what? I'm definitely visiting on the March 27 ASD, and it's in my top 5 currently, but I'm trying to figure out why I should be more attracted to W&M than W&L (at a better scholly, no work req, and easier renewal req). That being said, the ego-stroker in me knows that W&M has more name prestige and a bit better reach.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:18 am

Withdrew today w/ $$$. Good luck to all those waiting!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 am

Nightrunner wrote:William & Mary basketball is on national television for the first time in...well...ever, I think.

Haha, I saw that too. Then promptly changed the channel.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:32 am

traehekat wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:William & Mary basketball is on national television for the first time in...well...ever, I think.

Haha, I saw that too. Then promptly changed the channel.

W&M got owned.

Now I want to go to Old Dominion Law.

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 am

Just an FYI. I just spoke with W&M Admissions and they said they HOPE to get decisions out by end of next week, but it depends on how quickly they process the remaining applications. She said it could be later than March 20.

Maybe we'll know by July, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:54 am

HERetICal wrote:Just an FYI. I just spoke with W&M Admissions and they said they HOPE to get decisions out by end of next week, but it depends on how quickly they process the remaining applications. She said it could be later than March 20.

You're referring to the decision pending crew?

GodFavor2010

Postby GodFavor2010 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:25 pm

Is there anyone waiting on William and Mary still @ Application Ready for Review/Decision Pending? If so, since when? I wonder what does the "Application Ready for Review" designation truly mean in the W&M admissions process?

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:31 pm

GodFavor2010 wrote:Is there anyone waiting on William and Mary still @ Application Ready for Review/Decision Pending? If so, since when? I wonder what does the "Application Ready for Review" designation truly mean in the W&M admissions process?

That's "silent waitlist"

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:35 pm

GodFavor2010 wrote:Is there anyone waiting on William and Mary still @ Application Ready for Review/Decision Pending? If so, since when? I wonder what does the "Application Ready for Review" designation truly mean in the W&M admissions process?

The important part is decision pending. I don't want to out myself, but there was an issue with my app, and they let me know when it was only "ready for review". So it was looked at it. Then, it went to "decision pending" which means "we'll check out all of our options and then come back to you". Basically, they don't know yet what they're going to do with you.

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
HERetICal wrote:Just an FYI. I just spoke with W&M Admissions and they said they HOPE to get decisions out by end of next week, but it depends on how quickly they process the remaining applications. She said it could be later than March 20.

You're referring to the decision pending crew?

Yes. Sorry to have disappeared for a bit.

GodFavor2010

Postby GodFavor2010 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Quick Question. Is there anyone still at application ready for review/decision pending since September and/or October 2009? Any thoughts here?

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:35 pm

GodFavor2010 wrote:Quick Question. Is there anyone still at application ready for review/decision pending since September and/or October 2009? Any thoughts here?

Nope, only since Jan. 7 for me.

laureng05

Postby laureng05 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 pm

sophistry wrote:
klussy wrote:
However, this year there's a 165/3.23 and a 166/3.3, both non-URMs, who got in. They look at softs perhaps a bit more that some other schools, but overall, I agree with klussy.

haha, i think i'm the 166/3.3 you're referring to (the numbers in my profile are slightly off, but i guess i'm outing myself now.) They accepted me two weeks after submitting my application with substantial money, but i do have rather strong softs. I've been out of work for 4 years and did a bit of traveling after college. I definitely think they look at softs more than other schools because i was just flat out rejected from GW which is only slightly higher in the rankings.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:51 pm

GodFavor2010 wrote:Quick Question. Is there anyone still at application ready for review/decision pending since September and/or October 2009? Any thoughts here?

Yep. I'm decision pending as of October. I figured that, since I applied to W&M as a target/safety, that I would hear back quickly. So when a bunch of people with numbers at or lower than mine started getting big scholarships mere weeks after applying, I was pretty confused. But since then I have gotten into a bunch of targets, and a few reaches, gotten some good scholarship packages, and am now in the homestretch of wrapping up my cycle. W&M's idiotic strategy of waiting until March to make the majority of decisions is going to take them out of contention for a bunch of applicants who would have been happy to consider them early in the cycle.

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:53 pm

dakatz wrote:

Yep. I'm decision pending as of October. I figured that, since I applied to W&M as a target/safety, that I would hear back quickly. So when a bunch of people with numbers at or lower than mine started getting big scholarships mere weeks after applying, I was pretty confused. But since then I have gotten into a bunch of targets, and a few reaches, gotten some good scholarship packages, and am now in the homestretch of wrapping up my cycle. W&M's idiotic strategy of waiting until March to make the majority of decisions is going to take them out of contention for a bunch of applicants who would have been happy to consider them early in the cycle.

Even if they had accepted you early in the cycle, you obviously would still have gotten the other acceptances and scholarships. So I don't see why timing matters except to the extent that they will have less scholarships available later in the cycle. But clearly they've awarded scholarships to the applicants they want to award them to, and there are going to be many qualified applicants left over.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Doodsmack wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Even if they had accepted you early in the cycle, you obviously would still have gotten the other acceptances and scholarships. So I don't see why timing matters except to the extent that they will have less scholarships available later in the cycle. But clearly they've awarded scholarships to the applicants they want to award them to, and there are going to be many qualified applicants left over.

There is something to be said for first impressions. For example, Rutgers-Newark accepted me very quickly in early December. I had a chance to visit, meet with the staff, sit in on a class, etc. Sure, I saw the school as a total safety, but they made a great impression on me, and I had a chance to really experience it before the target and reach acceptances started coming in. Rutgers stayed in contention (and is still among my choices) because they had a chance to impress me before any other school got to me. Because of it, they have stayed in contention WAY longer than they would have if they had accepted me late in the cycle. In fact, I still have not ruled out going there. So I think timing not only matters, but can have a huge influence.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Doodsmack wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Not really true. A few schools I haven't heard from are probably out of the running at this point because I need to give my wife a good amount of time to find a job. Especially since the process of her transferring her license could take a while depending on the state and whether she would need to take any extra test or classes.

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:56 am

Ah, seems I have been DP here for awhile and it's my top choice!
164/3.7 +some softs but non-URM
what do you think my chances are at this point? really seems 50-50, no?
kinda bummed because it feels like it'll be forever until i hear from them. i've been DP since the middle of last month. the wait is driving me crazy!

set88

Postby set88 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:18 am

lawlife2010 wrote:Ah, seems I have been DP here for awhile and it's my top choice!
164/3.7 +some softs but non-URM
what do you think my chances are at this point? really seems 50-50, no?
kinda bummed because it feels like it'll be forever until i hear from them. i've been DP since the middle of last month. the wait is driving me crazy!

Those seem like pretty good numbers to me! Don't give up hope. I bet you stand a good chance.

2010law

Postby 2010law » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:02 am

I'll probably get some grief over this post, but I don't understand what all the stress is about being on the DP list.
-before everyone goes crazy on me- I understand the stress about waiting for the decision. What I don't understand is why you don't just call or email the admissions office and ask about your status. - I contacted 2 schools on my list (before getting in at W&M) because I thought I had been dp for a fairly long time. One school gave me my status right away (rejected) the other got back to me 2 days later (accepted with $). It seems to me that if you haven't been driving the admissions office crazy with calls and letters, 1 call or email after a fair amount of waiting shouldn't be viewed as being out of line. Even if you don't get a final answer, you should be able to at least gauge where you stand.
-besides, if you are figuring to get dinged anyway, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.-

klussy

Postby klussy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:04 am

2010law wrote:I'll probably get some grief over this post, but I don't understand what all the stress is about being on the DP list.
-before everyone goes crazy on me- I understand the stress about waiting for the decision. What I don't understand is why you don't just call or email the admissions office and ask about your status. - I contacted 2 schools on my list (before getting in at W&M) because I thought I had been dp for a fairly long time. One school gave me my status right away (rejected) the other got back to me 2 days later (accepted with $). It seems to me that if you haven't been driving the admissions office crazy with calls and letters, 1 call or email after a fair amount of waiting shouldn't be viewed as being out of line. Even if you don't get a final answer, you should be able to at least gauge where you stand.
-besides, if you are figuring to get dinged anyway, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.-

why do you use so many hyphens?

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:55 am

klussy wrote:
2010law wrote:I'll probably get some grief over this post, but I don't understand what all the stress is about being on the DP list.

why do you use so many hyphens?

Excellent work, TITCR

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Remember, kids, WM explicitly states that most applicants won't receive a decision until late March. So, if you've been DP for more than a few weeks chances are you won't hear until later this month (i've been "DP" since 12/16).

End. Of. Story.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Slimpee wrote:Remember, kids, WM explicitly states that most applicants won't receive a decision until late March. So, if you've been DP for more than a few weeks chances are you won't hear until later this month (i've been "DP" since 12/16).

End. Of. Story.

Aaaaaand unfortunately it will probably be a waitlist/ding.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”