William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iheartucla

Re: William & Mary

Postby iheartucla » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:43 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
JohnHawkins wrote:I don't want to join the chorus of people worried about Williamsburg being quiet because I'm a small-town boy myself and all of my friends at W&M are happy there. I was just curious, though - I've heard there's great golf in the area and that there are several intramural sports, in the event that the two (three?) bars grow old. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Thanks! And good luck to everyone watching the mail! It's worth it!

I've been pondering recently whether a town with 2 or 3 bars will drive me insane.... Or keep me out of trouble. Maybe this is what I need?

I just visited there and when I was told students hang out at the "deli's" I almost passed out

I didn't even see those 2 or 3 bars where were they? I'm not expecting to party every night in law school, but I need some options. I just don't understand how this is possible.

On the plus side they have a cute coffee shop Aroma right by the law school along with other various charming dining options. The weather was surprisingly mild too!

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:48 pm

I just visited there and when I was told students hang out at the "deli's" I almost passed out

I didn't even see those 2 or 3 bars where were they? I'm not expecting to party every night in law school, but I need some options. I just don't understand how this is possible.

On the plus side they have a cute coffee shop Aroma right by the law school along with other various charming dining options. The weather was surprisingly mild too!

Oh dear, this doesn't sound promising! I am down to W&M vs. BU and wondering if W&M will be too big of a culture shock (I'm currently living right outside NYC). But there are so many other things I really like about the school! I'm REALLY hoping to be won over during ASW!

iheartucla

Postby iheartucla » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:56 pm

getmetolawschool wrote:

Oh dear, this doesn't sound promising! I am down to W&M vs. BU and wondering if W&M will be too big of a culture shock (I'm currently living right outside NYC). But there are so many other things I really like about the school! I'm REALLY hoping to be won over during ASW!

Isn't BU a better school?
I thought W&M was strong overall, but I would choose BU over them any day of the week. Or is there something W&M has that BU doesn't?

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm

hunkydory wrote:I've only been DP for 2 weeks, and already get a little angry every time I (pointlessly) check my status. Oh frustration! It's going to be a long wait to April 1st.

Dude tell me about it, I've been DP since the beginning of November!!!!

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:04 pm

Isn't BU a better school?
I thought W&M was strong overall, but I would choose BU over them any day of the week. Or is there something W&M has that BU doesn't?

Yes it is higher ranked .. but also a lot more expensive! I definitely think it's possible to get great jobs out of both (well, at least in a better economy).

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

I sent them a LOCI (dp for 2 months now).

I want to go to this school. W&M, send me an acceptance and I'll send you some cashhhh :)

2010law

Postby 2010law » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:17 pm

Was wondering what everyone thinks about:
-Paying full sticker at W&M vs. taking a full scholarship at a T3 or T4 school or a 1/2 scholarship at a T2 school.
I had this choice and decided on W&M but a friend had a similar situation and is going to a T3.

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm grappling with that decision right now, leaning towards the scholarship route

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 pm

2010law wrote:Was wondering what everyone thinks about:
-Paying full sticker at W&M vs. taking a full scholarship at a T3 or T4 school or a 1/2 scholarship at a T2 school.
I had this choice and decided on W&M but a friend had a similar situation and is going to a T3.

I would take W&M, especially because their tuition really isn't all that high. Everyone's different though, and I can understand being swayed by scholarships.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:30 pm

2010law wrote:Was wondering what everyone thinks about:

Depends on what kind of law you want to practice when you graduate, aka- what your salary is going to be

lunu

Postby lunu » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:05 am

hunkydory wrote:I've only been DP for 2 weeks, and already get a little angry every time I (pointlessly) check my status. Oh frustration! It's going to be a long wait to April 1st.

My app went complete 2/25; decision pending 2/26. WTF? This can't be a waitlist decision right? Something this fast would have to be admission or rejection. Since my stats aren't good enough for a auto-admit (164/3 Puerto Rican), then it must be a decisive rejection (ding?). That's really disappointing.

brhebgrhelrgegnt

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 am

lunu wrote:

My app went complete 2/25; decision pending 2/26. WTF? This can't be a waitlist decision right? Something this fast would have to be admission or rejection. Since my stats aren't good enough for a auto-admit (164/3 Puerto Rican), then it must be a decisive rejection (ding?). That's really disappointing.

brhebgrhelrgegnt

Decision Pending = Silent Waitlist (otherwise known as: don't expect an answer before mid-March).

lunu

Postby lunu » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:14 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
lunu wrote:

brhebgrhelrgegnt

Decision Pending = Silent Waitlist (otherwise known as: don't expect an answer before mid-March).

FINE. I HATE THIS PROCESS.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:16 am

Decision Pending = people don't know what it is but will act like they do.
Last edited by T14_Scholly on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:17 am

jockinjay-z wrote:

+1 Now, it's laughable. Seriously W&M??? Way to run your admissions...

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:22 am

gymboree wrote:
jockinjay-z wrote:

+1 Now, it's laughable. Seriously W&M??? Way to run your admissions...

Seconded. DP since 10/27

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:25 am

has anyone succesfully negotiated more scholly money from W&M?

TheGracchus

Postby TheGracchus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:59 pm

For those on the DP train, is it a bad idea to send a sort of LOCI explaining what I've been up to recently since I sent in all of my app materials back in November?

aksharmabsc

Postby aksharmabsc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:35 pm

The admissions process is awful. I also read on above the law they some professors haven't released grades yet. What a craptastic administration. DP since 11/02 (164/3.7) and I'm pretty sure I'm not going at this point considering I've built a decent relationship with other schools.

stayway

Postby stayway » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:44 pm

I believe I am an auto-reject with 159/3.33 but why am I DP since 11/12/09? What the hell?

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:51 pm

TheGracchus wrote:For those on the DP train, is it a bad idea to send a sort of LOCI explaining what I've been up to recently since I sent in all of my app materials back in November?

+1, but I just applied at the end of January

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:07 pm

aksharmabsc wrote:The admissions process is awful. I also read on above the law they some professors haven't released grades yet. What a craptastic administration. DP since 11/02 (164/3.7) and I'm pretty sure I'm not going at this point considering I've built a decent relationship with other schools.

Who gives a damn about building a relationship? You either get accepted or you don't.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:
aksharmabsc wrote:The admissions process is awful. I also read on above the law they some professors haven't released grades yet. What a craptastic administration. DP since 11/02 (164/3.7) and I'm pretty sure I'm not going at this point considering I've built a decent relationship with other schools.

Who gives a damn about building a relationship? You either get accepted or you don't.

I'm unsure as to how this relates to the previous post?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:31 am

Based on LSN, W&M hasn't rejected or waitlisted anyone yet. I haven't heard from them at all...is it safe to assume I'm a waitlist or reject? Numbers: 163, 3.63, good softs.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:43 am

Regionality wrote:Based on LSN, W&M hasn't rejected or waitlisted anyone yet. I haven't heard from them at all...is it safe to assume I'm a waitlist or reject? Numbers: 163, 3.63, good softs.

I got the same numbers as you and what I believe good softs. In the same boat, DP since 1/12.
Just the waiting game for the time being.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”