William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NatSec

Re: William & Mary

Postby NatSec » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:26 pm

ntzsch wrote:
NatSec wrote:How about we try new logic?

William and Mary states that approximately 50% of those attending now are on some form of scholarship.

Through LSN and TLS acceptances appear to either be receiving $$$ or be URM with good numbers.

Most decisions are rendered in March.

Unless 50% of their acceptances are URM this means that somewhere between a third and half of all acceptances will be coming in March. Effectively all people not $$$ or URM. And considering there are going to be people that turn down their $$$ for other schools, some of the acceptances in March would have to have $$$.

Always remember the selection bias inherent in LSN and even TLS. W&M state that they get thousands of applications, I don't see thousands or even many hundreds of applicants on LSN. Our sample is biased and therefore does not represent the population of those applying or those being accepted.

just a thought.

i'll i'm saying is that what W&M says does not have to contradict the observed LSN trend. DP since Nov. is not a good place to be, in my estimation.

that statement is flawed though. it's relative. if you're saying waiting for a decision is not as good as being accepted with $$$, then you would be correct. but if you're saying that waiting for a decision is equivalant to a rejection, then it's very false. statistically, there are going to be acceptances in march. your chances are down if you are in the March crowd vs. earlier, but they by no means are at 0%.

jillybeans688

Postby jillybeans688 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:43 pm

I was accepted in the 1/19 batch with the Graduate Fellowship and a stipend. Pretty excited as it was my first acceptance!

bwana73

Postby bwana73 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:56 pm

jillybeans688 wrote:I was accepted in the 1/19 batch with the Graduate Fellowship and a stipend. Pretty excited as it was my first acceptance!

congrats!

laureng05

Postby laureng05 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:42 pm

How long after getting accepted did people start receiving the follow-up emails/ phone calls and cool swag in the mail? i received my acceptance packet on Friday, but haven't heard from them since.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:44 pm

laureng05 wrote:How long after getting accepted did people start receiving the follow-up emails/ phone calls and cool swag in the mail? i received my acceptance packet on Friday, but haven't heard from them since.

I was accepted back at the beginning of December and didn't receive my swag till this week. However, I received numerous follow up emails/letters before this.

laureng05

Postby laureng05 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Cool. I know I just got accepted, but I would appreciate an email from a student, especially if I could ask them some questions about the school.

nyknicks

Postby nyknicks » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:17 pm

edit.
Last edited by nyknicks on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Just went complete today, submitted in early Jan.

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm

ntzsch wrote:
how does that plain logic make the LSN trend incongruent with what could happen this cycle?

You're right that the majority of the decisions W&M gives out are WLs/rejections, and thus it's likely that the majority of decisions given out during any one time period (in this case, March) are WLs/rejections. However, the plain logic I referred to dictates that a good number of acceptances would not be made until the applicant pool is fully known. This means that the percentage of decisions given out late in the cycle that are acceptances is not very small, contrary to the conventional wisdom on this thread.

carrotflower

Postby carrotflower » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:00 pm

klussy wrote:
carrotflower wrote:I applied later in the cycle (with a Dec. lsat). I've been offered the grad. fellowship + $4,000/yr. stipend but no merit scholarship (167/3.92). I'm visiting the school in a few weeks. How likely is it that I might be offered more scholarship money later in the cycle (esp. after my visit)?

The biggest draw for W&M right now is that I eventually want to end up in D.C. I'm a Georgia resident and expecting a scholarship offer from UGA but don't really want to practice in Atlanta. However, it'll be hard to turn down UGA's ridiculously cheap tuition without a little more money from W&M.

you couldve had a great chance at UVA or Georgetown with those numbers- but I understand money is a factor. my friend a few years ago was offered a full ride at WM and turned it down for some money at UVA (I think it was 10k/yr) with almost the exact same #s as you.

I applied to UVA as well. Just not really holding my breath.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Decision Pending since 1/11/10

165/3.38

bah humbug

see18

Postby see18 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:42 pm

klussy wrote:
carrotflower wrote:I applied later in the cycle (with a Dec. lsat). I've been offered the grad. fellowship + $4,000/yr. stipend but no merit scholarship (167/3.92). I'm visiting the school in a few weeks. How likely is it that I might be offered more scholarship money later in the cycle (esp. after my visit)?

The biggest draw for W&M right now is that I eventually want to end up in D.C. I'm a Georgia resident and expecting a scholarship offer from UGA but don't really want to practice in Atlanta. However, it'll be hard to turn down UGA's ridiculously cheap tuition without a little more money from W&M.

you couldve had a great chance at UVA or Georgetown with those numbers- but I understand money is a factor. my friend a few years ago was offered a full ride at WM and turned it down for some money at UVA (I think it was 10k/yr) with almost the exact same #s as you.

I got the same offer from W&M, and I recently asked if it were possible to receive more merit aid, in light of more money from a different school, and as of now the dean said no. It's always worth a shot to ask, though.

adgirl13

Postby adgirl13 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:37 pm

laureng05 wrote:How long after getting accepted did people start receiving the follow-up emails/ phone calls and cool swag in the mail? i received my acceptance packet on Friday, but haven't heard from them since.

I got the follow up emails pretty quickly, including from a recent alumn, but the swag just arrived this week and I was accepted end of December.

It's en route I'm sure :D

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:17 pm

adgirl13 wrote:

I got the follow up emails pretty quickly, including from a recent alumn, but the swag just arrived this week and I was accepted end of December.

It's en route I'm sure :D

I received an email from an alum...has anyone followed up on the emails?

NatSec

Postby NatSec » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:10 am

[quote="ntzsch
nope. all i am saying, repeatedly, is that W&M's statement does not inherently preclude the possibility that the 'LSN trend' is correct. that is all.

All these can be true:

W&M:most decisions are sent late is cycle.
LSN: most decisions that are sent late in cycle are WL/Reject
LSAC:most decisions that W&M gives are WL/Reject

if you agree that all these could be true (they dont have to be true), then we are on the same page and I am being inarticulate.[/quote]

much better stated. i can agree with all of those. my primary issue was individuals in the thread painting the portrait of "if you have to wait until march to hear, you're screwed." Your statement is much clearer. In my mind it looks something like this:

33-50% of all acceptances sent in March
100% of all WL/rejections sent in March
Therefore of all decisions sent in March, 5-15% will be acceptances, and the remainder WL/reject.

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:05 pm

What has decision pending historically meant this yr? been that way since 1/13

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:33 pm

You're probably not going to hear anything until March.

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:51 pm

MBZags wrote:You're probably not going to hear anything until March.

your lack of optimism depresses me....

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:03 am

Status changed to "decision pending" today (1/28). I applied 1/14. That seems like a pretty good turn-around time...

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:14 am

gatorlion wrote:Status changed to "decision pending" today (1/28). I applied 1/14. That seems like a pretty good turn-around time...

Except that DP = you'll find out in March.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:18 am

Help a brother out -

Been under review since early December, so I am guessing soft waitlist.

I will be up visiting Wake Forest next week, and I will have an extra day available. I know it's a good ways away, but how much importance does W&M place on a visit / interview? I know some schools don't care and others care a lot.

Would that be enough to push me over, or should I just go interview at W&L, where I've already been waitlisted?

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:27 am

I changed to Ready for Review on 1/27 and Review Complete on 1/29 (today). What does this mean????
Do they call admits? I would love to get into a school I would be happy to attend.

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:01 am

Interminable_Waiting wrote:I changed to Ready for Review on 1/27 and Review Complete on 1/29 (today). What does this mean????
Do they call admits? I would love to get into a school I would be happy to attend.

I'm sure you're in - our stats are similar. They'll send you a packet via snail mail, but your status checker should show a "congratulations - admit packet mailed" within the next day or so.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 am

I hope so. This would be my best admittance so far. Also, they have a really good presence in Vermont, and if I decide I don't want biglaw, I would like to end up back in the north.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:29 am

vanstone22 wrote:
MBZags wrote:You're probably not going to hear anything until March.

your lack of optimism depresses me....

same boat,

of course this will be the 3rd time in my life W&M has let me down...

fuckers

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”