William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NatSec

Re: William & Mary

Postby NatSec » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:01 am

i've been decision pending since the middle of november. right now, the acceptances all seem to be receiving $$. I don't think a person has been accepted yet without some form of $ unless they were URM. as such, I have to hold out hope that they are reserving the general acceptances (those without $) to be released in march (when they also issue the WL and rejections).

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:05 pm

I have joined the "Decision Pending" crowd this morning. More than a little disappointed.

I also just got notice from BC that my decision has been rendered.

It would be nice to get one yes before all the dings.

Oh well, at least its Friday :)

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:39 pm

NatSec wrote:i've been decision pending since the middle of november. right now, the acceptances all seem to be receiving $$. I don't think a person has been accepted yet without some form of $ unless they were URM. as such, I have to hold out hope that they are reserving the general acceptances (those without $) to be released in march (when they also issue the WL and rejections).

+1

LSN accounts for a very small number of the applicant pool, most of which are OCD over-achievers like ourselves and are not representative of the rest of applicants. Not to mention...we're assuming that every single person on LSN is being 100% truthful. It's the Internet, most of them are probably pedophiles who haven't had a date with Chris Hansen yet.

Just my two cents. :)

NatSec

Postby NatSec » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:19 pm

whatchootalkinbout wrote:
NatSec wrote:i've been decision pending since the middle of november. right now, the acceptances all seem to be receiving $$. I don't think a person has been accepted yet without some form of $ unless they were URM. as such, I have to hold out hope that they are reserving the general acceptances (those without $) to be released in march (when they also issue the WL and rejections).

+1

LSN accounts for a very small number of the applicant pool, most of which are OCD over-achievers like ourselves and are not representative of the rest of applicants. Not to mention...we're assuming that every single person on LSN is being 100% truthful. It's the Internet, most of them are probably pedophiles who haven't had a date with Chris Hansen yet.

couldn't have said it better myself.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:58 pm

NatSec wrote:

+1

Well, most people who apply (and are competitive) to the T14 are OCD over-achievers - so I wouldn't necessarily state that those reporting on LSN are that different than the general application pool of a highly competitive school. While I agree that LSN trends should not be taken as the holy grail, I think that you can make fairly decent deductions from LSN. Overall, I think that the more glaring patterns which we've noticed on LSN are a decent reflection of reality.

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Johngalt7385 wrote:My numbers are 3.37, 168 and I am currently under DP status. Is anyone else with similar numbers in the same boat?

yeah i've been decision pending since october (3.46/168) :( best part: i wrote the optional essay! haha. oh well i guess. good luck to you! hopefully we hear good news eventually :)

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:14 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
NatSec wrote:

+1

Well, most people who apply (and are competitive) to the T14 are OCD over-achievers - so I wouldn't necessarily state that those reporting on LSN are that different than the general application pool of a highly competitive school. While I agree that LSN trends should not be taken as the holy grail, I think that you can make fairly decent deductions from LSN. Overall, I think that the more glaring patterns which we've noticed on LSN are a decent reflection of reality.

Are you more likely to be rejected/WLed in March, yes. Do you still have a chance, yes.

I bet a lot of people lie on LSN to feel better about themselves. People do this all the time, not even on the internet. Yesterday I was in class and a girl said she got into Georgetown ED, I was like cool PT or FT, she said FT. She said she got a huge scholarship too, and she only has to pay 20,000 a year. I knew she was lying, but I didn't want to call her out in class. I feel like LSN operates the same way, does everyone lie, no, do some, yes.

eshort

Postby eshort » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Why would someone just flat out lie about it (particularly IRL)? That definitely would not make me feel better, but much much worse! Then not only have I not been admitted or gotten X scholarship, but other people think I have and could quite possibly talk to me about it in the future!

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:21 pm

eshort wrote:Why would someone just flat out lie about it (particularly IRL)? That definitely would not make me feel better, but much much worse! Then not only have I not been admitted or gotten X scholarship, but other people think I have and could quite possibly talk to me about it in the future!

You'd be surprised. People are often weird and/or crazy.

Speaking of scholarship money, I'm anxiously awaiting my admit packet from W&M! Come on, postal service!

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:22 pm

eshort wrote:Why would someone just flat out lie about it (particularly IRL)? That definitely would not make me feel better, but much much worse! Then not only have I not been admitted or gotten X scholarship, but other people think I have and could quite possibly talk to me about it in the future!

I'm sorry, but everything you post, I read it as if your avatar is saying it....haha! Makes my DAY! :D

eshort

Postby eshort » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:24 pm

wakefield wrote:

Speaking of scholarship money, I'm anxiously awaiting my admit packet from W&M! Come on, postal service!

I agree! I am not usually at my current address (s/o situation), so it has been particularly stressful! My roommate wasn't even in town to check today, but I am considering driving there just for that purpose!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:24 pm

EDers don't get scholly money, that's how I knew she was lying. People need to feel good about themselves, so they make others feel bad. I just laugh it off.

eshort

Postby eshort » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:26 pm

robin600 wrote:

EDers don't get scholly money, that's how I knew she was lying. People need to feel good about themselves, so they make others feel bad. I just laugh it off.

People are just bizarre!

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:29 pm

eshort wrote:
wakefield wrote:

I agree! I am not usually at my current address (s/o situation), so it has been particularly stressful! My roommate wasn't even in town to check today, but I am considering driving there just for that purpose!

For the past couple days I've thought about sneaking out of work to check my mail...the 40 minute round trip drive has held me back, but not by much!

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Well, people do lie a bit on LSN. But it's also patterned lying - not completely random which also helps us to interpret trends. For instance, if people fudge their numbers in order to keep some anonymity from adcoms, they almost always bump up their LSAT by a point and lower their GPA. Hardly ever vice versa. However, dates of admission are hardly ever manipulated. Why would the admits care about this? While there may be some variation such as whether the decision rendered reflects when they got their letter, decision date, etc - W&M trends about when people were admitted or denied are pretty strong. Thus, one cannot say if you get your decision in March after going complete in October that you're a definite WL/reject. However, the trends via LSN are very strong and cannot be dismissed.

evergirl23

Postby evergirl23 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Has anyone from the 1/19 mailing received their Admit packet yet?

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Regarding the reliability of supposed trends on LSN, here's one question: does the trend hold true going back several years? Obviously, if what happened last year was different than previous years, we can't say anything with certainty.

Regardless, faced with choosing between LSN graphs and what W&M tells us, I'll take what W&M tells us. It's questionable whether LSN graphs reflect a representative sample of applicants, especially considering that not all users update the results of their applications even though they did input the fact that they applied.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:59 pm

ntzsch wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:Regarding the reliability of supposed trends on LSN, here's one question: does the trend hold true going back several years? Obviously, if what happened last year was different than previous years, we can't say anything with certainty.

Regardless, faced with choosing between LSN graphs and what W&M tells us, I'll take what W&M tells us. It's questionable whether LSN graphs reflect a representative sample of applicants, especially considering that not all users update the results of their applications even though they did input the fact that they applied.

what LSN tells us is not necessarily inconsistent with what W&M tells us.

W&M:most decisions are sent late is cycle.
LSN: most decisions that are sent late in cycle are WL/Reject
LSAC:most decisions that W&M gives are WL/Reject

these can all be true , they don't have to be.

Truf. With all the given evidence it seems highly unlikely that a signficant number of non-WL acceptances will be offered. W&M says that most of their decisions are rendered late and most of their decisions (75%?) are rejects/WL's. Thus, it's pretty clear.

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:00 pm

hmmm... the wait kills me

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:03 pm

World B. Free wrote:hmmm... the wait kills me

Same here - in, general. I figure most of my decisions will come in February. Of course, I said that about January.

robertsmanta

Postby robertsmanta » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:11 pm

Online status reads "Congratulations, Admit packet mailed." gonna go out on a limb and assume that means I'm in...
From what I was tracking, WM does not do rolling applications. Ironically, they are the first school out of 7 that has given me a decision. Thoughts?
BTW, I feel pretty thrilled about a solid Top 30. My LSAT made me a longshot for my T14 applications (UVA/Berkeley).

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:20 pm

I'm 1/19 and got my admission packet from W&M. It's only 8 grand per year which is much lower than the 22 grand offered at OCU, but of course, W&M is not OCU. I'm still leaning towards attending. It's a miracle I got accepted so quickly anyway, I didn't expect a high scholarship. It should be noted that there is a condition of maintaining at least a C average, but I'm not as worried about that as I was about OCU's similar condition.

That's what I get for working through college. Should have focused on keeping up that GPA.

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:18 pm

ntzsch wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:Regarding the reliability of supposed trends on LSN, here's one question: does the trend hold true going back several years? Obviously, if what happened last year was different than previous years, we can't say anything with certainty.

Could be, but there's still the issue of whether LSN graphs reflect reality. TLS users generally assume that longer wait = WL/reject, mostly out of pessimism about their own apps.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:37 pm

Dear William & Mary,

I love you. Please love me back. "Decision Pending" since 10/06 makes me sad.

Love,
Sam

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Doodsmack wrote:
ntzsch wrote:

Could be, but there's still the issue of whether LSN graphs reflect reality. TLS users generally assume that longer wait = WL/reject, mostly out of pessimism about their own apps.

I'm not pessimistic about my app - my app is great (I've been told so by several adcomms and deans - both in writing and in person). Yet, W&M's LSN graph is dismal. I've been Decision Pending since 11/1.

I fully expect a WL/reject in March/April even though I've been admitted to T25 schools with $$$. Even if I get in, I have developed relationships at other schools that will trump W&M. They simply won't have had enough time to show me why I should go there.

That said, I spent the money to apply, I want them to make a decision. I refuse to withdraw.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”