William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11722
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: William & Mary

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 pm

NatSec wrote:All:

I'm meeting with Dean Wixson from the Admissions office on Friday afternoon. If anybody has any questions they would like me to ask let me know and I'll post his responses when I get back on Saturday.

Thus far:

1) Why is sckon still bloody decision pending?
2) What do the changing dates with no changing status on the status checkers mean?





Well, anything ever happen with this?

slb052
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:15 am

Re: William & Mary

Postby slb052 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:46 pm

any 1/7ers get mail yet?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby 5ky » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:03 pm

klussy wrote:anyone else from in-state worried? I read on TLS profiles that the dean favors out of staters when it comes to admissions, under the assumption that more in staters will yield due to the low cost.


Well the Dean may favor out of staters, but the state favors in-staters, and since WM is a public school, they take their direction from what the state wants, which means quite a few in-staters; certainly more than there would be if WM were private.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby holydonkey » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:13 pm

5ky wrote:
klussy wrote:anyone else from in-state worried? I read on TLS profiles that the dean favors out of staters when it comes to admissions, under the assumption that more in staters will yield due to the low cost.


Well the Dean may favor out of staters, but the state favors in-staters, and since WM is a public school, they take their direction from what the state wants, which means quite a few in-staters; certainly more than there would be if WM were private.


Not sure this is true. I'm in at Vanderbilt and still Decision Pending at William & Mary (since November). I'm also a Virginia resident. Either Vanderbilt loved my interview or W&M is not a huge fan of in-staters (or I sent them the wrong application).

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby 5ky » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:47 pm

Haha okay, just saying, they have in-state quotas they have to fill. It's no secret that it's easier to get into WM and UVA if you're in state.

slb052
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:15 am

Re: William & Mary

Postby slb052 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:19 pm

So I have Admit Packet Mailed on 1/7/10, and now I have a mysterious blank mailing dated 1/8/10 -- no description!

Anyone care to speculate as to what it means??

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:09 pm

slb052 wrote:So I have Admit Packet Mailed on 1/7/10, and now I have a mysterious blank mailing dated 1/8/10 -- no description!

Anyone care to speculate as to what it means??


I have this too...interesting, I have no idea what it might mean. I haven't got any mail yet, I expect it either tomorrow or Tuesday (I would say more likely Tuesday).

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:33 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
slb052 wrote:So I have Admit Packet Mailed on 1/7/10, and now I have a mysterious blank mailing dated 1/8/10 -- no description!

Anyone care to speculate as to what it means??


I have this too...interesting, I have no idea what it might mean. I haven't got any mail yet, I expect it either tomorrow or Tuesday (I would say more likely Tuesday).


It means you're accepted, congrats!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:52 pm

robin600 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
slb052 wrote:So I have Admit Packet Mailed on 1/7/10, and now I have a mysterious blank mailing dated 1/8/10 -- no description!

Anyone care to speculate as to what it means??


I have this too...interesting, I have no idea what it might mean. I haven't got any mail yet, I expect it either tomorrow or Tuesday (I would say more likely Tuesday).


It means you're accepted, congrats!


Well i think we both know what the 'Admit Packet Mailed' entry means...but the blank mailing from the next day is a bit confusing. I guess we will find out shortly.

slb052
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:15 am

Re: William & Mary

Postby slb052 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
slb052 wrote:So I have Admit Packet Mailed on 1/7/10, and now I have a mysterious blank mailing dated 1/8/10 -- no description!

Anyone care to speculate as to what it means??


I have this too...interesting, I have no idea what it might mean. I haven't got any mail yet, I expect it either tomorrow or Tuesday (I would say more likely Tuesday).


It means you're accepted, congrats!


Well i think we both know what the 'Admit Packet Mailed' entry means...but the blank mailing from the next day is a bit confusing. I guess we will find out shortly.


I think it just means that the oversized checks they're trying to send us were too big to fit in the original envelope, so they ended up having to send them the next day. :)

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:21 pm

Quick question: if you are currently under review, that means you have gone complete already, correct?

User avatar
klussy
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby klussy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 pm

"Virginia Residents

Shealy did not have much to say about the relative competitiveness of gaining admission for Virginia residents, though she did mention that “location of the applicant’s permanent residence is one of the many factors considered. Given our lower in-state tuition, we tend to have a higher yield among Virginia admittees than among those from out-of-state.”


This is from the TLS profile. It seems like they assume more in staters will yield, and as a result they make fewer offers of admission to compensate.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Got my letter today, it included the Graduate Fellowship, which cuts my tuition to in-state and adds a $4000 stipend per year, as well as an additional award of $3000 per year (total estimated scholarship of $17200 per year). This definitely will make me strongly consider W&M

Jockin Jay-Z
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:03 pm

So if you get the Decision Status: Review Complete, you're in?

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby MBZags » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:34 pm

^ I believe so.

And if that's the case, in today via the status checker! I went complete on 1/7.
Last edited by MBZags on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Yep, congrats! It should show under mailings 'Admit Packet Mailed' pretty soon. Mine came up the same day that I went review complete, and I just got my actual letter today (in South Bend, IN)

User avatar
rockababy123
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby rockababy123 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:21 am

Decision Pending....here's to the long wait ahead :?

slb052
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:15 am

Re: William & Mary

Postby slb052 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:49 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Got my letter today, it included the Graduate Fellowship, which cuts my tuition to in-state and adds a $4000 stipend per year, as well as an additional award of $3000 per year (total estimated scholarship of $17200 per year). This definitely will make me strongly consider W&M


Where's mine??!!??!? Anxiously and not-so-patiently awaiting.

zarathustra
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby zarathustra » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:58 am

Got my "review complete" yesterday. No other movement on the status checker. Scared shitless. Hoping for the best.

Congrats to all those who are in!

zarathustra
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby zarathustra » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm in! Good luck to the rest of you, comrades!

User avatar
ashkenazy
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby ashkenazy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 pm

I got the "review complete" and "Admit packet mailed" today! It's my first acceptance! Whew! It's nice to see that at least one admissions committee likes me. Best wishes to everyone else!

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby MBZags » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Yay, admit packet officially mailed! :D

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby SAE » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Those of you who got in, congrats! Were you "Decision Pending" at least at some point?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Nope, went right from complete to review complete as far as I can tell (I only got the complete email two days before it came up as review complete).

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby MBZags » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Yeah, same here. I was "Ready for Review" and "Review Complete" both on 1/11.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beluckycrimson, Christinabruin, Google Adsense [Bot], YasTheSpaz and 6 guests