Temple 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gymboree

Re: Temple 2010!

Postby gymboree » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 am

withdrawing shortly -- hope the spot goes to a TLSer. Good luck everyone!

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:08 am

bklyngreenlp wrote:...To retain the scholarship, I have to be in the top half of the class each year. That's a rather sweet deal, considering in-state tuition is ~$16,500 each year.

The conditions for keeping the scholarship are pretty generous, at least with respect to schools that have some built-in attrition for the scholarship students.
That system never made sense to me. Aren't scholarship offers supposed to draw you down the tiers by making you feel provided for and secure? Maybe it's just that there are still people who are unaware of the scholarship/curve pwn scam.

At any rate, Temple is a decent school for doing that.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:42 am

bklyngreenlp wrote:I just got home and in my mailbox this evening was a large envelope from Temple. It includes a folder with a number of forms and the acceptance letter.

I also received an additional letter offering me a Law Faculty Scholarship totaling $15,000 over three years. To retain the scholarship, I have to be in the top half of the class each year. That's a rather sweet deal, considering in-state tuition is ~$16,500 each year.

You're having quite the week. Congrats again!

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Well this makes things tough. I've been accepted to Temple (haven't heard about money yet) and I've been accepted to Seton Hall with $26,125 per year scholarship...I don't know if I want to live in North Jersey forever...I think I should still go with Temple, even if I need to pay for it. I think that would be the best investment in the long run...

...thoughts?

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:37 pm

bklyngreenlp wrote:I just got home and in my mailbox this evening was a large envelope from Temple. It includes a folder with a number of forms and the acceptance letter.

I also received an additional letter offering me a Law Faculty Scholarship totaling $22,500 over three years. To retain the scholarship, I have to be in the top half of the class each year. That's a rather sweet deal, considering in-state tuition is ~$16,500 each year.

Edited for +1.

bklyngreenlp

Postby bklyngreenlp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Hot damn, BWP! Congratulations. I know eastern PA isn't your first choice, but that's a very generous offer.

Thwalls, are you confined to the Philly area? I thought you mentioned something about your spouse having work/education there. If not, I would be certain to consider the difference in cost of living between Philly and Northern NJ in regard to your overall expense for law school, especially if you're going part-time. That is an incredible offer from Seton Hall, though.

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:26 pm

bklyngreenlp wrote:Hot damn, BWP! Congratulations. I know eastern PA isn't your first choice, but that's a very generous offer.

Thwalls, are you confined to the Philly area? I thought you mentioned something about your spouse having work/education there. If not, I would be certain to consider the difference in cost of living between Philly and Northern NJ in regard to your overall expense for law school, especially if you're going part-time. That is an incredible offer from Seton Hall, though.

Yeah the family is around there. I just don't think I want to stay in N. Jersey. And with a regional school you have to accept that there is really no portability of the degree. I accept that. Sooo, even though the money is great, I think I'm going to have to pay for temple. Does anybody know how long it takes to get state residency?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Withdrawn. Good luck everyone!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:06 am

thwalls wrote:
bklyngreenlp wrote:Hot damn, BWP! Congratulations. I know eastern PA isn't your first choice, but that's a very generous offer.

Yeah the family is around there. I just don't think I want to stay in N. Jersey. And with a regional school you have to accept that there is really no portability of the degree. I accept that. Sooo, even though the money is great, I think I'm going to have to pay for temple. Does anybody know how long it takes to get state residency?

FWIW, there are enough Temple law alum in North Jersey where if you want to go back after school you can if you have connections to the North NJ legal market.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:10 am

Doubt this is connected in anyway, but my little sister applied to Temple UG.. and they said they were woefully behind in their reviewing process, something about getting started late. Could be possible the law school is suffering the same inefficiencies, especially if their apps are way up too.

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:17 am

keg411 wrote:
thwalls wrote:

FWIW, there are enough Temple law alum in North Jersey where if you want to go back after school you can if you have connections to the North NJ legal market.

I meant that that the family is in Philly not North Jersey. I hate North Jersey - more of a reason for why I don't think the money is worth it. I'm trying to think of things like this: Will I feel like I made the right decision in 20 years? I think if I went to SHU, I'm going to regret it and wish that I'd forked out the cash.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:09 pm

If you HATE North Jersey, don't go to SHU no matter how much money they throw at you. It's not a portable degree out of that area.

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:21 pm

keg411 wrote:If you HATE North Jersey, don't go to SHU no matter how much money they throw at you. It's not a portable degree out of that area.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Lets hope temple gives me some cash...

JayCole

Postby JayCole » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:19 pm

What is the name of a good area to live in Philly as a law student?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:14 pm

If you don't mind a small commute to the school, live in Manayunk... it's awesome there.

KimmyGibbler

Postby KimmyGibbler » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:36 pm

lawbreaker wrote:
JayCole wrote:What is the name of a good area to live in Philly as a law student?

I agree Manayunk is really nice. Also, a lot of Temple Dental students live in Roxborough, which is right outside Manayunk. Two nice apartment complexes there: http://www.summitparkcommunities.com/ and Henry on the Park.

Manayunk is full of undergrads and their dive-bars, so if you don't mind that scene it's cool. I would stick with one of the many neighborhoods in greater center city: bella vista, queen village, northern liberties, and fairmount, to name a few. They are closer to the campus and offer more fun things to do.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:54 pm

KimmyGibbler wrote:
lawbreaker wrote:
JayCole wrote:What is the name of a good area to live in Philly as a law student?

I agree Manayunk is really nice. Also, a lot of Temple Dental students live in Roxborough, which is right outside Manayunk. Two nice apartment complexes there: http://www.summitparkcommunities.com/ and Henry on the Park.

Manayunk is full of undergrads and their dive-bars, so if you don't mind that scene it's cool. I would stick with one of the many neighborhoods in greater center city: bella vista, queen village, northern liberties, and fairmount, to name a few. They are closer to the campus and offer more fun things to do.

Exactly. I personally despise Manayunk because it's where the greeks go to die. I mean seriously, you're not in undergrad anymore. Also, I would try Passyunk Square. It's close to the Italian Market and the Orange Line which takes you to Temple's front door.

NosferatuDracon

Postby NosferatuDracon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 pm

In the interest of full disclosure not sure how many people saw this already. FWIW though I still think Temple is a great place to go to school if you want to practice in Philly. Just don't always get the best press.

--LinkRemoved--

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:15 pm

NosferatuDracon wrote:In the interest of full disclosure not sure how many people saw this already. FWIW though I still think Temple is a great place to go to school if you want to practice in Philly. Just don't always get the best press.

--LinkRemoved--

:shock:

JayCole

Postby JayCole » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:28 pm

[/quote]Exactly. I personally despise Manayunk because it's where the greeks go to die. I mean seriously, you're not in undergrad anymore. Also, I would try Passyunk Square. It's close to the Italian Market and the Orange Line which takes you to Temple's front door.[/quote]

Factors in determinig where to live in rough order of importance:

1. Safety
2. Rent Prices
3. Access to public transportation
4. Proximity to Temple

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:28 pm

What the hell is that kid doing with a gun in Old City? Maybe he was pissed at Fox News and not the other student.

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:33 pm

I can take shootings since they're so rare. But I'm out here in Georgetown in DC. Let me share our little crime problem...

We currently have a guy that the media has dubbed, "The Snuggler". Women have woken up in the middle of the night to find a guy either laying next to them in bed or standing over them attempting to tuck them in at night. They still haven't caught him and it's been 2 years. Now the think there could be more than one snuggler out there. Oh, and for the guys, there's also a snuggler who has been doing the same thing to men while they're sleeping.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:36 pm

thwalls wrote:I can take shootings since they're so rare. But I'm out here in Georgetown in DC. Let me share our little crime problem...

We currently have a guy that the media has dubbed, "The Snuggler". Women have woken up in the middle of the night to find a guy either laying next to them in bed or standing over them attempting to tuck them in at night. They still haven't caught him and it's been 2 years. Now the think there could be more than one snuggler out there. Oh, and for the guys, there's also a snuggler who has been doing the same thing to men while they're sleeping.

"The Snuggler" should rent out his services.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:36 pm

thwalls wrote:I can take shootings since they're so rare. But I'm out here in Georgetown in DC. Let me share our little crime problem...

You guys' roll hard in G'Town, eh? :wink:

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:42 pm

How do I withdraw just send an email?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”