Temple 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
revrocksteady

New

Re: Temple 2010!

Post by revrocksteady » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 pm

changeitup wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how and where to begin looking for housing? I know there are lots of different neighborhoods in the area, and any input on them would be very appreciated. Thanks!! :)
Same question! Unless I get off the Wait List at William&Mary, looks like I'm going to Temple!!

The cost of living is so much better than in other cities I am used to.

Also, anyone from DC accepted and going to Temple? we can meet up and celebrate! PM me

KimmyGibbler

New

Post by KimmyGibbler » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 pm

changeitup wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how and where to begin looking for housing? I know there are lots of different neighborhoods in the area, and any input on them would be very appreciated. Thanks!! :)
Anything in the box that is bound by the two rivers, Girard Ave. on the North, and Christian St. on the South will be safe and fun and an easy commute to Temple. This box is known as "The Center City District". If you own a car and never wanted to leave college, then Manayunk is also an option.

revrocksteady

New

Post by revrocksteady » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 pm

smartin wrote:Anyone else been at "complete" for 10+ weeks? I went complete on 1/19 and yesterday (exactly 10 weeks) called and asked for a status update and when I should expect a decision. The lady in the office said, yes, my file had been complete for 10 weeks but some applications take longer and that mine was ready to be reviewed.

Sounds to me like a waitlist without telling me it's a waitlist.
Last week I started getting worried about how long I had been "complete" so I emailed them.

I got a pretty generic email answer back saying that it can take up to 12 weeks to get a response. I got scared that I was going to be wait listed and then got an acceptance email shortly after- so don't think a longer decision time is bad news at Temple. They told me that if your application has been complete over 12 weeks, then you should call in to inquire.

ttarrach

New

Post by ttarrach » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:25 pm

As someone who has lived in Philadelphia for 8 years and attended Temple undergrad, here's my suggestion:

Firstly, the parameters given by the previous poster is pretty accurate, depending on what kind of life you plan to live.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with living right by Temple, the only thing that you need to realize is that Temple is more or less all that the neighborhood has to offer in terms of recreation, meaning that you'll have to leave the area quite frequently to get away from living life like an undergrad. That in itself would not be much of a problem due to the wealth of public transport available. That being said, most law school students choose to live in more exciting, happening and trendy neighborhoods.

Philadelphia is very much a city of neighborhoods, and you'll have a drastically different experience depending on where you live. If you're up for it, you could live in 3 different neighborhoods over 3 years and it would be much like living in 3 different cities. While Philadelphia is very commutable, the neighborhoods have very different characters.

With that being said, the go to neighborhoods are as follows (google them for further info):

Art Museum/Fairmount: Likely the number 1 spot for Temple Law students. Mostly made up of college student and young professionals, it is ideally situated between Temple, Center City, the Art Museum, Fairmount Park, etc. This is where I have lived for a few years and would be the first place I'd look if I was looking for a place. The neighborhoods are aesthetically pleasing and there are plenty of bars/restaurants, etc. to keep you busy.

Northern Liberties: Another area close enough to Temple but far enough away from the "hood." It is a very trendy area right now, with all sorts of European style modern housing going up. The big thing in this neighborhood is what is called "Piazza at Shmidt's" and the area surrounding it. It is a little slice of Rome in Philadelphia. Google it for further information.

The above are the two main neighborhoods for students situated North of Market Street, making Temple quicker to get to.

The below either straddle Market St. or are south of Market, making them relatively further from Temple.

Center City: This is where all the big buildings, law firms, etc. are located. You'll never run out of recreation if you live in Center City. Prices vary greatly as you move through the little sub-neighborhoods; Rittenhouse Square and the Gayborhood being the most pristine and expensive. Easy commute to Temple by subway, bike, scooter, cab, etc. If you have a car, downtown probably won't work for you unless you can afford to pay for a parking spot. Parking can be difficult anywhere in the City, but especially in Center City, and if you know anything about the Philadelphia Parking Authority, you'll know that they can make your life a nightmare.

Old City: Along with Center City, the hub of Philadelphia nightlife. Also the home of most of Philadelphia's amazing history. Again, parking is a nightmare, but otherwise you wouldn't go wrong living in Old City.

Society Hill: Nestled between Old City and South Street, this is a very pristine and beautiful nighborhood right in the thick of things. It's difficult to find apartments in this area due to both the property value of the houses in the area and the large amount of wealthy, single family residences. However, if you can find a nice place at the right price, go for it.

Queen Village: Located between Washington Ave. and South St. within 6 or so blocks of the Delaware River, this is another beautiful neighborhood with tons of Bars and Restaurants. The only caveat is that your commute to Temple would be a little more difficult than any of the other neighborhoods I have mentioned due to the location of the subways.

Bella Vista: Between Washington and South, 7th St. to Broad. A little less pristine version of Queen Village, although a very nice area nonetheless. Again, there is a wealth of great restaurants and bars in this area.

Italian Market: The area surrounding the Italian Market. Google it. A little far south but there's plenty of Temple students who live there.

So to sum it up, the above neighborhoods are all places where you can find great food and drink, entertain family and friends, etc., while still being in close enough proximity of Temple.

As for where to look for these places, I have never gone any further than craigslist. If you find a location you're unsure about, feel free to either reply to me in this thread or e-mail me and I'll tell you what I think.

Hope this helps.

changeitup

New

Post by changeitup » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks so much for all the help, everyone :) ttarrach- you rock for that amazing post.

And revrocksteady- I live in Baltimore. Since it's not too far, we should definitely try to meet up!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

helloitslaura

New

Post by helloitslaura » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:10 pm

ttarrach wrote:
As someone who has lived in Philadelphia for 8 years and attended Temple undergrad, here's my suggestion:

Firstly, the parameters given by the previous poster is pretty accurate, depending on what kind of life you plan to live.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with living right by Temple, the only thing that you need to realize is that Temple is more or less all that the neighborhood has to offer in terms of recreation, meaning that you'll have to leave the area quite frequently to get away from living life like an undergrad. That in itself would not be much of a problem due to the wealth of public transport available. That being said, most law school students choose to live in more exciting, happening and trendy neighborhoods.

Philadelphia is very much a city of neighborhoods, and you'll have a drastically different experience depending on where you live. If you're up for it, you could live in 3 different neighborhoods over 3 years and it would be much like living in 3 different cities. While Philadelphia is very commutable, the neighborhoods have very different characters.

With that being said, the go to neighborhoods are as follows (google them for further info):

Art Museum/Fairmount: Likely the number 1 spot for Temple Law students. Mostly made up of college student and young professionals, it is ideally situated between Temple, Center City, the Art Museum, Fairmount Park, etc. This is where I have lived for a few years and would be the first place I'd look if I was looking for a place. The neighborhoods are aesthetically pleasing and there are plenty of bars/restaurants, etc. to keep you busy.

Northern Liberties: Another area close enough to Temple but far enough away from the "hood." It is a very trendy area right now, with all sorts of European style modern housing going up. The big thing in this neighborhood is what is called "Piazza at Shmidt's" and the area surrounding it. It is a little slice of Rome in Philadelphia. Google it for further information.

The above are the two main neighborhoods for students situated North of Market Street, making Temple quicker to get to.

The below either straddle Market St. or are south of Market, making them relatively further from Temple.

Center City: This is where all the big buildings, law firms, etc. are located. You'll never run out of recreation if you live in Center City. Prices vary greatly as you move through the little sub-neighborhoods; Rittenhouse Square and the Gayborhood being the most pristine and expensive. Easy commute to Temple by subway, bike, scooter, cab, etc. If you have a car, downtown probably won't work for you unless you can afford to pay for a parking spot. Parking can be difficult anywhere in the City, but especially in Center City, and if you know anything about the Philadelphia Parking Authority, you'll know that they can make your life a nightmare.

Old City: Along with Center City, the hub of Philadelphia nightlife. Also the home of most of Philadelphia's amazing history. Again, parking is a nightmare, but otherwise you wouldn't go wrong living in Old City.

Society Hill: Nestled between Old City and South Street, this is a very pristine and beautiful nighborhood right in the thick of things. It's difficult to find apartments in this area due to both the property value of the houses in the area and the large amount of wealthy, single family residences. However, if you can find a nice place at the right price, go for it.

Queen Village: Located between Washington Ave. and South St. within 6 or so blocks of the Delaware River, this is another beautiful neighborhood with tons of Bars and Restaurants. The only caveat is that your commute to Temple would be a little more difficult than any of the other neighborhoods I have mentioned due to the location of the subways.

Bella Vista: Between Washington and South, 7th St. to Broad. A little less pristine version of Queen Village, although a very nice area nonetheless. Again, there is a wealth of great restaurants and bars in this area.

Italian Market: The area surrounding the Italian Market. Google it. A little far south but there's plenty of Temple students who live there.

So to sum it up, the above neighborhoods are all places where you can find great food and drink, entertain family and friends, etc., while still being in close enough proximity of Temple.

As for where to look for these places, I have never gone any further than craigslist. If you find a location you're unsure about, feel free to either reply to me in this thread or e-mail me and I'll tell you what I think.

Hope this helps.
No love for Graduate Hospital, the "G-Ho"? Alas, the the eponymous hospital is no more, but don't let that mislead you - it's a great neighborhood and affordable too!

I also went to Undergrad at TU and will be attending in the fall. I too have lived and worked in Philly for nearly the last decade. PM me if you are so inclined, we probably would have lots to talk about.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:37 am

Extremely helpful post that I didn't quote because it was so long. But, if I do choose Temple, I'll be looking back over it. Speaking, what do you guys think about a car in Philly? I want to have mine so that I can drive home occasionally, but, will it be more of a hassle than its worth?

KimmyGibbler

New

Post by KimmyGibbler » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:50 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Extremely helpful post that I didn't quote because it was so long. But, if I do choose Temple, I'll be looking back over it. Speaking, what do you guys think about a car in Philly? I want to have mine so that I can drive home occasionally, but, will it be more of a hassle than its worth?
It depends on where you live. Parking can be a bitch in most neighborhoods, but not all. Queen Village, Bell Vista, and Northern Liberties have better parking than Fairmount, Manayunk, or Center City.

ragnarok545

New

Post by ragnarok545 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:58 pm

KimmyGibbler wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Extremely helpful post that I didn't quote because it was so long. But, if I do choose Temple, I'll be looking back over it. Speaking, what do you guys think about a car in Philly? I want to have mine so that I can drive home occasionally, but, will it be more of a hassle than its worth?
It depends on where you live. Parking can be a bitch in most neighborhoods, but not all. Queen Village, Bell Vista, and Northern Liberties have better parking than Fairmount, Manayunk, or Center City.
Parking near Manyunk is not bad at all as long as you are not RIGHT IN Manyunk. There are lots of nice apartments just a few blocks away, and Mount Airy/East Falls in general (two surrounding neighborhoods) are almost suburban in terms of crowding. I highly recommend this whole area to any future Temple Law students that will be in the city but like seeing a little grass once in a while. The entire area is alongside the northwest stretch of Fairmount Park, so there are hiking trails and relaxation spots galore!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Visited today. Overall, it was better than I thought it would be (facilities, faculty, location, etc). I still wasn't overly impressed with the school... still leaning toward Nova.

And for all the other waitlisted candidates, they aren't even going to the watilist until July, if they even decide to. Yes, July.

neutral33

New

Post by neutral33 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:13 am

beach_terror wrote:Visited today. Overall, it was better than I thought it would be (facilities, faculty, location, etc). I still wasn't overly impressed with the school... still leaning toward Nova.

And for all the other waitlisted candidates, they aren't even going to the watilist until July, if they even decide to. Yes, July.
What do you mean by your last statement, beach terror? So do you mean that Temple will not be offering waitlisted people spots until July at the earliest?

Did you get this information from Temple admission staff?

Thanks.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:22 am

I visited the other day too. People seemed friendly, which was nice. Building was fine. Like the trial advocacy program and study abroad stuff. Wasn't a huge fan of the area, felt sort of unsafe. Philly one way streets are horrible. And overall, no closer to making my decision than before.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 pm

neutral33 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Visited today. Overall, it was better than I thought it would be (facilities, faculty, location, etc). I still wasn't overly impressed with the school... still leaning toward Nova.

What do you mean by your last statement, beach terror? So do you mean that Temple will not be offering waitlisted people spots until July at the earliest?

Did you get this information from Temple admission staff?

Thanks.
Yes on both counts. Got the information from the assistant dean of admissions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I visited the other day too. People seemed friendly, which was nice. Building was fine. Like the trial advocacy program and study abroad stuff. Wasn't a huge fan of the area, felt sort of unsafe. Philly one way streets are horrible. And overall, no closer to making my decision than before.
Yeah... it is a pretty shitty area. The campus is fine, and I'm sure it's probably safe due to Temple police, etc.. but yeah it is surrounded on all sides by very poor areas, I'd say worse than Newark. Nonetheless I liked the school when I visited yesterday, and got the sense that they do very well in Philly.. not so sure about any other markets. It will come down to Temple or Rutgers for me in the next few days.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:14 pm

champ33 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I visited the other day too. People seemed friendly, which was nice. Building was fine. Like the trial advocacy program and study abroad stuff. Wasn't a huge fan of the area, felt sort of unsafe. Philly one way streets are horrible. And overall, no closer to making my decision than before.
Yeah... it is a pretty shitty area. The campus is fine, and I'm sure it's probably safe due to Temple police, etc.. but yeah it is surrounded on all sides by very poor areas, I'd say worse than Newark. Nonetheless I liked the school when I visited yesterday, and got the sense that they do very well in Philly.. not so sure about any other markets. It will come down to Temple or Rutgers for me in the next few days.
That's the other thing I'm worried about. I know I want to work in NY or DC and it seems like the only school in my final 3 that will get me there is Case Western.

twb136

New

Post by twb136 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 am

I have been following this thread for a while and I am thankful for all the information provided. I have a question to anyone who thinks they can help. I got waitlisted yesterday and Temple is my top choice. I would want to send a LOCI but my application did not have a decision rendered in over 13 weeks and I sent a letter last week. So I am between a rock and a hard place. Does anyone have any suggestions or any idea on what my next possible step could be?

KimmyGibbler

New

Post by KimmyGibbler » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:24 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
champ33 wrote:
That's the other thing I'm worried about. I know I want to work in NY or DC and it seems like the only school in my final 3 that will get me there is Case Western.
What makes you think Case Western will get you there? It's in Cleveland. At least from Temple you would be able to commute to DC and NYC for interviews.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:17 am

KimmyGibbler wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
champ33 wrote:
What makes you think Case Western will get you there? It's in Cleveland. At least from Temple you would be able to commute to DC and NYC for interviews.
The stats. I haven't heard Temple's stats, although, I'm going to call today to see if they can give me the number of people who wind up in NY or DC, how helpful the alumni base is, what career services does, ect. I felt like that was something they left out of the tour.

revrocksteady

New

Post by revrocksteady » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 am

snow- looking forward to what you hear back. I have been wondering as well

hushu

New

Post by hushu » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

IN via status checker, FINALLY!

UR since 2/8, status checker never changed until this morning to Admitted. :D

greg11a

New

Post by greg11a » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Complete 3/8, in 4/4 via status checker. If only Villanova and Fordham were this quick with a response.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emac

New

Post by Emac » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:10 pm

greg11a wrote:Complete 3/8, in 4/4 via status checker. If only Villanova and Fordham were this quick with a response.
Don't even get me started about Villanova....I heard from Fordham 6 weeks after going complete. That is decent turn around time in my opinion. I have been complete at Villanova since 1/20, and still nothing.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:57 pm

Emac wrote:
greg11a wrote:Complete 3/8, in 4/4 via status checker. If only Villanova and Fordham were this quick with a response.
Don't even get me started about Villanova....I heard from Fordham 6 weeks after going complete. That is decent turn around time in my opinion. I have been complete at Villanova since 1/20, and still nothing.
Temple and Nova both made me wait around for about 2 months before hearing anything(Nova was actually quicker), PSU a little longer too. From what I've seen PA schools seem to have a longer turn around time than other places like Umiami or American; hang in there.

greg11a

New

Post by greg11a » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:15 pm

6 weeks is very reasonable. I dont expect to get in to Fordham anyway, so I am not worried, but I am sure I am at the bottom of the pile and wont hear until June anyway. I know Villanova has reviewed my application as they called me about a specific item on it that needed clarification, but I also know I have only been complete about 4 weeks on all my apps, so I cant really expect much more.

haleydee

New

Post by haleydee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:56 pm

ive been complete since 1/20 i think and still no word... just a change in the complete date to 3/19

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”