Temple 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thwalls

Bronze

Temple 2010!

Post by thwalls » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:15 am

I know I know, it's not one of the top schools. But I need to go PT and I need to stay in the Philly area so Temple is my HYS.

Sent out my application...and the wait begins.

Snarleyow

New

Re: Temple 2010!

Post by Snarleyow » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:25 am

I also applied to temple. being from philly and not really looking for the biglaw thing (worked in NYC for the better part of a year, wild horses and an army couldn't put me back there), temple is a solid choice. I'm trying to forget I ever even applied so the admissions decisions can be "pleasant" surprises...

bklyngreenlp

New

Post by bklyngreenlp » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:30 am

I also applied to Temple this week. I visited the school in August and was intrigued, but I'm trying to decide if I want to attend school in NYC, Boston, or Philadelphia. I'm currently a legal resident in PA, so the in-state tuition at Temple is an incredible deal compared to schools in the other markets.

By the way, the PA Bar results for the July 2009 exam were recently released -
http://www.pabarexam.org/pdf/statistics/july/j2009.pdf

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:36 am

Go Temple! This should raise their ranks this year, I hope.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 am

whats the median salary going big law out of philly?
Can you nab a high paying job out of temple...
I want to be in Philly but not sure what the job markets like

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hypermeganet

Bronze

Post by hypermeganet » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:54 am

145k is standard rate in Philly. Top 10% at Temple and Nova tend to take these jobs from what I've been told by people in the city. Penn grads tend to take what they want, too, and they get preference over Temple/Nova.

Rutgers - Camden follows next. Then Drexel.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:51 pm

hypermeganet wrote:145k is standard rate in Philly. Top 10% at Temple and Nova tend to take these jobs from what I've been told by people in the city. Penn grads tend to take what they want, too, and they get preference over Temple/Nova.

Actually, some of the Penn students get shut out because of the overwhelming Temple Alumni network in Philly. Although they definitely have some top picks. I live in Philly now and have friends that go to Temple, Penn and Villanova Law currently and they have confirmed this. Nova is definitely starting to take more of a hold, but it is still considered "Vanillanova" - a place where white overprivileged kids go when they can't get into Penn. Sorry if I insult anyone, just telling you what I've heard.

hypermeganet

Bronze

Post by hypermeganet » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:54 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:145k is standard rate in Philly. Top 10% at Temple and Nova tend to take these jobs from what I've been told by people in the city. Penn grads tend to take what they want, too, and they get preference over Temple/Nova.

Actually, some of the Penn students get shut out because of the overwhelming Temple Alumni network in Philly. Although they definitely have some top picks. I live in Philly now and have friends that go to Temple, Penn and Villanova Law currently and they have confirmed this. Nova is definitely starting to take more of a hold, but it is still considered "Vanillanova" - a place where white overprivileged kids go when they can't get into Penn. Sorry if I insult anyone, just telling you what I've heard.
I live in Philly, too. I can't wait to move.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:57 pm

hypermeganet wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:

I live in Philly, too. I can't wait to move.
There are a lot of things about Philly that I love. What don't you like about it besides a large percentage of people that have never left Pennsylvania? :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Snarleyow

New

Post by Snarleyow » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:15 pm

philly born and raised. it's a city you need to leave and come back to in order to really appreciate it I think. I grew up there, went to college in LA, worked in NYC and now am working in DC and I'd say that philly is my definite favorite of all of them. DC would be a close second.

philly is a town where the people don't tend to bs around, they have no delusions of grandeur, and they scrap like madmen at whatever they do. it's a certain mindset that I don't think appeals to everybody, but once you're in it, you're family.

All I know about the law market there is pretty much hearsay, but I do know that temple does have a very solid network. penn grads have tended to migrate north and have left a vacuum in the city historically, though these days I'm not sure that's still the case. I can say that from what I know, (with family in the temple system and family friends who are intimately involved in the law school) temple law is really big on legal aid/clinical opportunities. if you want to do good work for real people who need it, I think it's a solid option. if you're looking for six figures, the models and bottles and all that other crap, you might think about somewhere else. the in-state tuition is a big plus as well.

hypermeganet

Bronze

Post by hypermeganet » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:19 pm

SpaceDawg wrote: There are a lot of things about Philly that I love. What don't you like about it besides a large percentage of people that have never left Pennsylvania? :)
Crime
Homeless
Brain Drain
Largely blue collar
Colder than I like in the winter
Bad drivers
I've spent my entire life living here (went to high school here, went to Penn, etc) and I'm 27.

I could go on.

riburn3

New

Post by riburn3 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm also in the app pool for Temple. They sent me a fee waiver and I really want to go to school PT so I can work. Good luck to everyone.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:48 pm

hypermeganet wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote: There are a lot of things about Philly that I love. What don't you like about it besides a large percentage of people that have never left Pennsylvania? :)
Crime
Homeless
Brain Drain
Largely blue collar
Bad drivers
I've spent my entire life living here (went to high school here, went to Penn, etc) and I'm 27.

I could go on.

You can find those things in just about every city. I just moved back here after 3 years in NYC. And I lived in Philly for about 3 years before I moved to NY. I find it has changed a lot for the better. The neighborhoods are improving, there is more business moving here from more expensive cities like NY and DC, and I must say I love the solar trash compactors they have in Center City now. Not to mention the restaurants here are fantastic. I think the above poster may be correct in saying that you need to leave to appreciate it. There are certainly other fantastic cities in this country and internationally.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

riburn3

New

Post by riburn3 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:57 am

SpaceDawg wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:
Crime
Homeless
Brain Drain
Largely blue collar
Bad drivers

I could go on.

You can find those things in just about every city. I just moved back here after 3 years in NYC. And I lived in Philly for about 3 years before I moved to NY. I find it has changed a lot for the better. The neighborhoods are improving, there is more business moving here from more expensive cities like NY and DC, and I must say I love the solar trash compactors they have in Center City now. Not to mention the restaurants here are fantastic. I think the above poster may be correct in saying that you need to leave to appreciate it. There are certainly other fantastic cities in this country and internationally.

I think that's true for just about anyone anywhere. It wasn't until I moved away from my hometown for school and work that I realized how much I love the place.

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:57 pm

I definitely sent them an email asking if there had been any change in the status of my application and they said it can take 8-10 weeks from the date that your application went complete. Mine went complete 10/29. The waiting is killing me since they're my top choice.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'd like to think that we'll start hearing next week, which has been the norm over the past couple of years as per LSN.

phila

New

Post by phila » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Call me Temple 2011, b/c I'm applying next cycle...I'm just loitering around to see the stats on who is admitted this year...but I'm going to comment my 2 cents on Philly.

Granted, I've never lived in any other major metro areas, but I've been here for about 9 years now, and it really is a great town. Yes, north/southwest/west (beyond University City where Penn and Drexel are) are not nice...but there are a lot of neat neighborhoods (generally anything in Center City/Greater Center City/South Philly east of Broad/Mt. Airy/Manayunk/Chestnut Hill/Univ City) that are really great places to live. Some are more urban and some (like Chestnut Hill) feel more like their own little towns than part of a large city.

What I love most about the city are its walkability and affordability. There are still a lot of neat places where you can spend less than $1,500/mo on rent or mortgage and enjoy a big city lifestyle (shopping, restaurants, entertainment all w/in walking distance).

Sure, depending on where you are coming from, people can seem a little rude compared to other places (like the south). You get used to it!

Good Luck w/ your apps! (And maybe those of you who matriculate at Temple can pass down your old outlines to me!)

makingwaves

Bronze

Post by makingwaves » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:31 pm

phila wrote:Call me Temple 2011, b/c I'm applying next cycle...I'm just loitering around to see the stats on who is admitted this year

Ditto.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Temple scared me. I'm re-taking the LSAT and I got an e-mail saying they were holding my application. I asked them to remove the hold and the person who e-mailed me back said she would do so, but that if I was rejected it was final. I think my numbers are okay for Temple, but I was scared so I left it there :(.

Temple, I will see you again in March! Hopefully you will still have room for me (and a hopefully improved LSAT score).

bklyngreenlp

New

Post by bklyngreenlp » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:07 pm

keg -- when did they contact you? I assumed a 162 would have given you a pretty decent shot at being admitted there. Are they just "holding" your application until they have a better sense of their applicant pool or are there other issues involved?

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:14 pm

I'd like to think that we'll start hearing next week, which has been the norm over the past couple of years as per LSN.
Indeed. I've been complete since 10/27 and waiting patiently...
I'm re-taking the LSAT and I got an e-mail saying they were holding my application. I asked them to remove the hold and the person who e-mailed me back said she would do so, but that if I was rejected it was final.
If you want to wait, go ahead, but I wouldn't be too put-off by this email, its a standard form response. For a bit, I was considering taking an additional LSAT, but I asked Temple to remove the hold and received the same thing. I know others who have as well. Just say the word and they will lift the LSAT hold.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:27 pm

bklyngreenlp wrote:keg -- when did they contact you? I assumed a 162 would have given you a pretty decent shot at being admitted there. Are they just "holding" your application until they have a better sense of their applicant pool or are there other issues involved?
It was in the "App Received" e-mail they sent me; my "hold" isn't a decision hold or waitlist hold. They haven't even looked at my application yet and they won't review it until after the February LSAT.

My GPA (from 5 years ago) is crap on a stick, which is why my 162 is likely no good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:28 am

keg411 wrote:
bklyngreenlp wrote:keg -- when did they contact you? I assumed a 162 would have given you a pretty decent shot at being admitted there. Are they just "holding" your application until they have a better sense of their applicant pool or are there other issues involved?
It was in the "App Received" e-mail they sent me; my "hold" isn't a decision hold or waitlist hold. They haven't even looked at my application yet and they won't review it until after the February LSAT.

My GPA (from 5 years ago) is crap on a stick, which is why my 162 is likely no good.
They are probably just holding to see what your next score is. I wonder if they do that to all potential re-takers. Either way, I think you did the right thing by keeping the hold but don't let it get to you. It's probably relatively standard for people who aren't auto-admits or auto-rejects.

x47point6

Bronze

Post by x47point6 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:37 am

Bump. Hoping to hear from Temple soon.

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:40 am

Today or tomorrow I would think...hope...pray...

JessicaD411

New

Post by JessicaD411 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:00 pm

thwalls wrote:Today or tomorrow I would think...hope...pray...

How come you think it will be so soon?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”