In at Tennessee 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
samer

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby samer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:06 pm

I lived in Chattanooga for a couple years when I was a kid! If Knoxville is anything like Chat-Town, I'm sure I'll love it! Hope to get in!

lml09

Postby lml09 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm

deadpanic wrote:
lml09 wrote:In at Tennessee via phone call 11/13.

I really like the school but am interested in anyone's views of Knoxville?

I think people either love it or hate it. I love it, but everyone I know that didn't go to UT thinks it is a concrete jungle and a dump.

The good: you are only around 30 minutes to the mountains & from some great trout fishing, hiking, kayaking, rafting, rock climbing, etc.; UT football games are fun; Knoxville is a pretty big city with every amenity you need but again, you can get away to the mountains & country in less than a half hour.

The bad: lots of concrete on campus; seems to be a big transient population & crime rate for its size; tons of rednecks and hillbillies nearby (I grew up in East TN & live in MS so I can say this with confidence).

Bah! Concrete jungle, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear. :(

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:42 pm

lml09 wrote:Bah! Concrete jungle, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear. :(

Eh; I've lived in TN for a loong time, and I personally don't recall Knoxville as a concrete jungle. I thought the scenery was actually pretty interesting; what with it being on the water front like good ol' chattahoochie and with plenty of caves and trails nearby. If you're an outdoorsy type, there is plenty to do in the area like the Ocoee rafting and stuff.

cari426

Postby cari426 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:15 pm

I live in Knoxville and have been here for the past ten years. I def don't think of it as a concrete jungle. Parts of the campus may seem that way, but there are some very pretty parts of it as well. The law school is so new and beautiful that it doesn't seem that way at all. The city as a whole has some dumpy parts and some absolutely beautiful parts, which is characteristic of most cities. Just depends on what area you are in. As a whole, I really love it here and would recommend it to anyone. But each person has his or her own preferences, so it might be wise to visit before making a decision. Good luck!

LoveSaltLife

Postby LoveSaltLife » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Today my status checker is completely blank (no status, no date) but at the top of the page it says "A status update letter has been mailed". I'm guessing this is a rejection/WL since others who were accepted see "Congratulations" on their page. Did anyone else get this update?

158/3.56/OOS/non-URM

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:52 pm

That sounds like an acceptance to me. Your numbers aren't low enough for a rejection, and I don't think that they would be mailing out waitlists this early in the game. Keep us updated though!

LoveSaltLife

Postby LoveSaltLife » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:29 pm

rejection today via snail mail.

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:57 pm

hmmm...I find it odd that you were out right rejected with those numbers. Can you think of any reason on your application why that might have been the case?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:03 pm

movieguru873 wrote:hmmm...I find it odd that you were out right rejected with those numbers. Can you think of any reason on your application why that might have been the case?

I agree that is odd. Someone with a 158/3.09 just got in. Of course he is in the military so those #s may not be an accurate judge of what's to come.

LoveSaltLife, did you write a personal statement & essay for UT? Also, has your status checker changed? Or does it still just say "Review?" Thanks.

LoveSaltLife

Postby LoveSaltLife » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:24 pm

I have no idea why I was rejected, honestly. I also thought it was too early for a rejection, and my numbers are practically their medians. They sent me a package after the June LSAT, waiving my fee and told me I qualified for numerous scholarships. So that rejection really sucks.

The only thing I can think of that might have hurt my application is that I disclosed an arrest from when I was 16, which has been expunged.

I did write the personal statement, but not a why UT.

My status checker went from review to "A status update letter has been mailed". I figured that was bad since I didn't see the "Congratulations" that those who were accepted reported having on their page.

Hope this helps, good luck to everyone!

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:29 pm

LoveSaltLife wrote:The only thing I can think of that might have hurt my application is that I disclosed an arrest from when I was 16, which has been expunged.

I don't think this hurt it at all...

I did write the personal statement, but not a why UT.

This may have been it. UT required a personal statement as well as an additional essay (not necessarily a "Why UT"). Both were 500 words. If you wrote both of these then I cannot imagine why you received a rejection so early with your #s.
Last edited by deadpanic on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:35 pm

well there was supposed to be a personal statement and a learning experience statement. Neither one specified exactly what to write about. I still find it odd that she was rejected even if she didn't mention UT in her personal statement. I would of thought that she would have had a waitlist at least.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:01 pm

movieguru873 wrote:well there was supposed to be a personal statement and a learning experience statement. Neither one specified exactly what to write about. I still find it odd that she was rejected even if she didn't mention UT in her personal statement. I would of thought that she would have had a waitlist at least.

After this, I'm re-doing both of my essays since I haven't applied yet. They seem to strongly encourage "Why UT-K" in the personal statement. The learning experience statement has been really really tricky.

LoveSaltLife

Postby LoveSaltLife » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Ya, I would suggest saying Why UT-K. I did the learning statement as well as the personal statement, but did not explicitly say my reasons for apply there.

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:39 pm

I still don't think that not including UT-K in your personal statement would warrant your rejection so quickly. The only thing that I could think of would be if you were convicted of a felony, but you've already stated that your arrest when you were 16 had been expunged. oh well...I guess its kind of a weird cycle

EDIT- not to be creepy or anything but I looked at your LSN profile. Your waitlist at Miami is incredibly odd as well...I wonder if that arrest when you were 16 did more harm than we thought

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:16 pm

Or maybe UT-K averages LSAT's and don't just take the highest? That's the only other thing I can think of.

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:26 pm

But even if they only took the LOWEST lsat, I wouldn't think that a 156 and a 3.56 would be low enough to be rejected this early in the game

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:05 pm

I'm kind of starting to worry now because I haven't heard anything yet. I've been complete since November 4 and so far I haven't heard anything back. I even sent a statement about 2 weeks ago saying that I would definitely attend if admitted and i would send in my seat deposit immediately. I also focused my personal statement around the fact that I wanted to stay in Tennessee and attend UTK for law school. It worries me because UTK is the only law school I can see myself attending. Anyone else with similar numbers who has or hasn't heard anything back?
(3.0 162 in-state)

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Poor GPA/160 LSAT/out of state

Review since 10/22

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Was cruising by the neighborhood and thought I'd chip in re: Knoxville's QOL.

I lived in Knoxville area for almost all my first 21 years (then three in Chattanooga) and regularly return to see family.

Campus looks all pastoral compared to when I attended for UG. Downtown is on the up and up (really enjoyed the Market Sq. area when I visited three weekends ago; the restaurants/shops could be better, but given that there was nothing, more or less, when I attended, it's a huge improvement).

I-40 majorly sucks testicle, which is too bad b/c you'll generally use it way too much to get around town. Cool neighborhoods near campus, or anywhere, are tough to find. The Strip is TERRIBLE. Game day can be a huge bitch if you're not a fan (I was/am, but even still it could be a nightmare if you need to do anything else in town that day). It's by no means big-city cosmopolitan, but it's definitely more than a podunk college town that would wither on the vine without the campus' presence. (Besides, from there it's only a 2-hour drive to Chattanooga, which is, I hate to have to say, is way way way cooler.) And by all accounts it's at least getting better.

Not applying myownself, though not doing so only b/c I'm compelled to head West.

For those of you who get in, let me recommend the drive out to Cosby (the only "door" to the Smokies NP worth entering) to The Front Porch. Mexican restaurant. Bluegrass music. BYOB. ... The food isn't anything to shout about, but it's passable. The music is good. And I can't help but loving any restaurant what allows you to bring coolers of your own beer. Or bottle of whiskey. Or jars of moonshine.

Anyway. Hope you all get in.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:02 pm

movieguru873 wrote:I'm kind of starting to worry now because I haven't heard anything yet. I've been complete since November 4 and so far I haven't heard anything back. I even sent a statement about 2 weeks ago saying that I would definitely attend if admitted and i would send in my seat deposit immediately. I also focused my personal statement around the fact that I wanted to stay in Tennessee and attend UTK for law school. It worries me because UTK is the only law school I can see myself attending. Anyone else with similar numbers who has or hasn't heard anything back?
(3.0 162 in-state)

Are you re-taking the LSAT? It says in bold on the application that they won't even look at your application until you are done with your final LSAT (hence I'm spending some extra time on the optional essay and probably just sending out my application in January). I like UT-K, but if they're going to wait, then I'm just going to wait.

But if you're not re-taking, who knows, since you're in-state and your numbers are fine.

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:07 am

nah I'm not re-taking the lsat this year. If I don't get into UTK this year I might retake the lsat and reapply next year though.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:02 pm

movieguru873 wrote:nah I'm not re-taking the lsat this year. If I don't get into UTK this year I might retake the lsat and reapply next year though.
Stop worrying. You've only been complete a little over a month. You should get in. Just takes some time.

lawschool5523

Postby lawschool5523 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:00 pm

I received a "Seasons Greeting" email and postcard in my mailbox today from UTK. THought the email was about admissiosn...Can they please just tell me if I got in?? haha

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:23 pm

lawschool5523 wrote:I received a "Seasons Greeting" email and postcard in my mailbox today from UTK. THought the email was about admissiosn...Can they please just tell me if I got in?? haha

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”