In at Tennessee 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
southerngrace

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby southerngrace » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Wow. Overfilled? Guess I should start gathering my seat deposit for somewhere else? That makes me wonder what the "are you still interested?" phone call was all about yesterday.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:37 pm

If Tennessee is over filled, then they took too may people for a school that declares that they won't review your app until after a Feb. LSAT. Either don't accept the Feb LSAT or be more wary of who you accept.

I'm in the blank-limbo club.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Well I see no reason why us blankers won't be waiting around until after May 1st to hear anything.

Thunder Jones

Postby Thunder Jones » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:38 am

My status checker now says that they have received and processed my acceptance of the waitlist letter.

Progress!

southerngrace

Postby southerngrace » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:01 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:Well I see no reason why us blankers won't be waiting around until after May 1st to hear anything.

I think they are trying to get decisions out soon though. They are doing a pretty good job of keeping in contact with us to let us know they are still working on applications, so hopefully we will know this week? It would help to know before I have to pay a seat deposit somewhere else.

Heyyo5000

Postby Heyyo5000 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Yeah my status says the same thing about " we have processed your acceptance of the waitlist"
Hope this is a good sign!

lawschool5523

Postby lawschool5523 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Thunder Jones wrote:My status checker now says that they have received and processed my acceptance of the waitlist letter.

Progress!

+1

Thunder Jones

Postby Thunder Jones » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Now, I'm ready for it to change to "You have received and processed your acceptance."

Stryka

Postby Stryka » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:40 pm

processed waitlist....let's hope

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Does anyone have any information on a recent visit to UTK? They pulled a fast one today by offering me the Law Scholars deal.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:25 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:Does anyone have any information on a recent visit to UTK? They pulled a fast one today by offering me the Law Scholars deal.

Are you considering it seriously? I got the same offer, and I think we're considering several of the same schools.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:54 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:Does anyone have any information on a recent visit to UTK? They pulled a fast one today by offering me the Law Scholars deal.

Are you considering it seriously? I got the same offer, and I think we're considering several of the same schools.

Yes. I'm down to UNC at sticker, CU at approx 12k/yr, and Tennessee. Withdrew from W&L and UGA.

We're also both Pirates.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:04 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Yes. I'm down to UNC at sticker, CU at approx 12k/yr, and Tennessee. Withdrew from W&L and UGA.

We're also both Pirates.

Good luck man. I've decided nothing is worth sticker to me, so it's down to WFU, Alabama, and Tennessee. I like them all and have no clue which I'm going to pick.

bradlje0

Postby bradlje0 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Count me in on the waitlist. I wonder how many of us there are? I spoke to the lady in the admissions office and she wouldn't give me a number of people accepted off of the waitlist in previous years, and she also told me that they don't rank their wait list. It was frustrating. Has anyone had a similar experience?

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Been down a few times, what information are you looking for? I can do my best to transmit what they said at ASD.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:00 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:

Been down a few times, what information are you looking for? I can do my best to transmit what they said at ASD.

I'd like to second his request. Any information that you got at ASD plus the overall atmosphere, people, etc. would be great.

STPaulTennis

Postby STPaulTennis » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Is anyone overly concerned that there is no curve at UT? Take this, in combination with their lower overall GPAs, and it makes for an uncertain time in competing with other law school students for 1L/2L summer employment.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:03 am

STPaulTennis wrote:Is anyone overly concerned that there is no curve at UT? Take this, in combination with their lower overall GPAs, and it makes for an uncertain time in competing with other law school students for 1L/2L summer employment.

I think this is misinformation right here. I don't recall anything specific about curves, but I'm pretty sure they have one at UTK. 50th percentile at Tennessee hovers right around a 3.0 (3.0 for current 1Ls, 3.1 for 2Ls, and 3.2 for 3Ls). From what I have heard, there isn't any major outstanding issue that sets UT students back with respect to 1L/2L summer employment, so I'm interested to see where this claim came from.

PirateCap'n wrote:I'd like to second his request. Any information that you got at ASD plus the overall atmosphere, people, etc. would be great.

I'm not really sure where to start, so I guess I'll just go ahead and give all my impressions/feelings about UT and the ASW...

People: this is very difficult to judge because during every ASD at all law schools, I'm pretty sure that the students ambassadors that speak are all well-rounded, clean cut individuals--UTK was no exception. Everyone seemed very friendly, and they had a pretty solid variety of students from different backgrounds (different races, different home states, etc.). You could tell that the students worked hard, and all of them had impressive job offers/resumes.

Facility: the building was built in the late 90s (I think it was 96), and is state of the art. It's four stories, has beautiful classrooms and a large law library in a good location on campus (3 or 4 blocks from Ayers Hall, 2 blocks from Neyland Stadium and a block from the University Center). The law library is a great facility with large windows and lots of natural light (so you don't feel like you're cooped up all day). There's also a nice dining area as well as lockers for students. Parking everywhere at UT is a pain, but they said that the structure between Vol Hall and the law school provides enough spaces for students, especially since a lot of them live in West Knoxville.

Career Outlook: one thing I definitely noticed about UTK was the transparency of their staff--they were not shy or coy about anything and disclosed everything. No one danced around the fact that the economy is down and law students all across the country are suffering. UT students, however, seem to be doing alright; 96% of the Class of 2009 has a job 9 months after graduation (62% employed before graduation), and the salary range was $42,000-$160,000 with the average at $72,500 (Grads employed in 13 states, 80% of positions reported were in TN). The career services staff seems very friendly and willing to help (unlike some other schools I visited).

Extracurriculars: there seemed to be a good amount of student organizations that law students have the opportunity to join. I can't comment with certainty, but it seemed like SBA was pretty big. They also have a Moot Court Board with plenty of moot court and mock trial teams. They also have the Tennessee Law Review and a business journal as well as a public policy journal.

Clinicals: UT has the oldest continually running clinic in the nation (Advocacy). They also offer Business Law, Education Law, Exoneration, Enviornmental Law, Externship, and Mediation Clinics. All of the students and faculty spoke very highly of these clinics, and it was something like 85% of graduating 3Ls had participated in one. Many of the students there spoke personally to the strength of the advocacy and litigation clinic, and said it has prepared them to go out into the real world and practice law.

Faculty: the faculty most T1/T2 law schools is going to be impressive, so it's difficult to sort one out from another. The two professors that spoke both had great things to say about the practicality a UT Law education and seemed like cool people to learn from. They said the socratic method (which is mostly used at UT) can be scary at first, but is a great tool for interactive learning. Also, the students on the panel had tons of great things to say about the open door policy of the faculty at UTK. Of course, you will probably hear this almost anywhere you go, but the length that the students spoke about this was pretty convincing.

City: I don't know how you all feel about Knoxville, so you'll have to visit for yourself. I am an SEC guy, and I've made road trips to the Dirty Knox many times. It's a fun city, but like any city, there are less desirable areas. Campus is generally clean and nice, but the Fort (a neighborhood next to campus) got mixed reviews. I have friends at UT that say that the Fort is generally an undergrad area, and that law students mostly live off campus either in West Knoxville or downtown.

Social life: with great proximity to the Smokies and Gatlinburg, people that are into outdoor stuff will have plenty to do. And for those looking for big city life, Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte are a short drive away. The Knox has a decent bar scene--the Strip is mostly undergrads, but has a lot of good bars; you can also go downtown to Old City, which is fun too. I saw some members of the panel out that night, so I definitely think the work hard/play hard attitude is prevalent.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:31 am

jeeptiger09 wrote:
STPaulTennis wrote:Is anyone overly concerned that there is no curve at UT? Take this, in combination with their lower overall GPAs, and it makes for an uncertain time in competing with other law school students for 1L/2L summer employment.

I think this is misinformation right here. I don't recall anything specific about curves, but I'm pretty sure they have one at UTK. 50th percentile at Tennessee hovers right around a 3.0 (3.0 for current 1Ls, 3.1 for 2Ls, and 3.2 for 3Ls). From what I have heard, there isn't any major outstanding issue that sets UT students back with respect to 1L/2L summer employment, so I'm interested to see where this claim came from.

PirateCap'n wrote:I'd like to second his request. Any information that you got at ASD plus the overall atmosphere, people, etc. would be great.

I'm not really sure where to start, so I guess I'll just go ahead and give all my impressions/feelings about UT and the ASW...

People: this is very difficult to judge because during every ASD at all law schools, I'm pretty sure that the students ambassadors that speak are all well-rounded, clean cut individuals--UTK was no exception. Everyone seemed very friendly, and they had a pretty solid variety of students from different backgrounds (different races, different home states, etc.). You could tell that the students worked hard, and all of them had impressive job offers/resumes.

Facility: the building was built in the late 90s (I think it was 96), and is state of the art. It's four stories, has beautiful classrooms and a large law library in a good location on campus (3 or 4 blocks from Ayers Hall, 2 blocks from Neyland Stadium and a block from the University Center). The law library is a great facility with large windows and lots of natural light (so you don't feel like you're cooped up all day). There's also a nice dining area as well as lockers for students. Parking everywhere at UT is a pain, but they said that the structure between Vol Hall and the law school provides enough spaces for students, especially since a lot of them live in West Knoxville.

Career Outlook: one thing I definitely noticed about UTK was the transparency of their staff--they were not shy or coy about anything and disclosed everything. No one danced around the fact that the economy is down and law students all across the country are suffering. UT students, however, seem to be doing alright; 96% of the Class of 2009 has a job 9 months after graduation (62% employed before graduation), and the salary range was $42,000-$160,000 with the average at $72,500 (Grads employed in 13 states, 80% of positions reported were in TN). The career services staff seems very friendly and willing to help (unlike some other schools I visited).

Extracurriculars: there seemed to be a good amount of student organizations that law students have the opportunity to join. I can't comment with certainty, but it seemed like SBA was pretty big. They also have a Moot Court Board with plenty of moot court and mock trial teams. They also have the Tennessee Law Review and a business journal as well as a public policy journal.

Clinicals: UT has the oldest continually running clinic in the nation (Advocacy). They also offer Business Law, Education Law, Exoneration, Enviornmental Law, Externship, and Mediation Clinics. All of the students and faculty spoke very highly of these clinics, and it was something like 85% of graduating 3Ls had participated in one. Many of the students there spoke personally to the strength of the advocacy and litigation clinic, and said it has prepared them to go out into the real world and practice law.

Faculty: the faculty most T1/T2 law schools is going to be impressive, so it's difficult to sort one out from another. The two professors that spoke both had great things to say about the practicality a UT Law education and seemed like cool people to learn from. They said the socratic method (which is mostly used at UT) can be scary at first, but is a great tool for interactive learning. Also, the students on the panel had tons of great things to say about the open door policy of the faculty at UTK. Of course, you will probably hear this almost anywhere you go, but the length that the students spoke about this was pretty convincing.

City: I don't know how you all feel about Knoxville, so you'll have to visit for yourself. I am an SEC guy, and I've made road trips to the Dirty Knox many times. It's a fun city, but like any city, there are less desirable areas. Campus is generally clean and nice, but the Fort (a neighborhood next to campus) got mixed reviews. I have friends at UT that say that the Fort is generally an undergrad area, and that law students mostly live off campus either in West Knoxville or downtown.

Social life: with great proximity to the Smokies and Gatlinburg, people that are into outdoor stuff will have plenty to do. And for those looking for big city life, Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte are a short drive away. The Knox has a decent bar scene--the Strip is mostly undergrads, but has a lot of good bars; you can also go downtown to Old City, which is fun too. I saw some members of the panel out that night, so I definitely think the work hard/play hard attitude is prevalent.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for that. That was actually very helpful. I've been to Knoxville and like it, but I've never been able to get over to the school. As for the statement about the curve, the other poster is correct. There is not set curve. (There may be an unannounced curve, but I saw on the website yesterday that everyone is graded on a 0.0-4.3 GPA scale for each class with no curve, which I thought was rather odd. I don't have the link, but if I can find it today I'll post it).

STPaulTennis

Postby STPaulTennis » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:11 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:

The information is at the link below - Page 7 left side - starting with the paragraph "Generally speaking."

http://www.law.utk.edu/adjunct/AdjunctHandbook.pdf

Cheers -

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Ah, thanks for the correction.

I talked to a couple of my friends down there and they said that there is no set curve, but most professors generally work off the 3.0 mean. But either way, I haven't heard about a noticeable difference or setback with the lack of a set curve.

Hope that helps.

Thunder Jones

Postby Thunder Jones » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Are any other UT waitlisters thinking about Memphis?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113950

samer

Postby samer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Not sure what it means for everyone, but the facebook group all of a sudden jumped from 55 to 65 members in two days. Exciting for us to get to know one another, but doesn't seem like the class is overfilled. Take from that what you want; I just thought it might be good info (and maybe a shameless plug to join the group if you plan on attending this Fall) :)

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:52 pm

samer wrote:Not sure what it means for everyone, but the facebook group all of a sudden jumped from 55 to 65 members in two days. Exciting for us to get to know one another, but doesn't seem like the class is overfilled. Take from that what you want; I just thought it might be good info (and maybe a shameless plug to join the group if you plan on attending this Fall) :)

Ask those peeps if they know anything about the amorphous blank status-checker that some of us have had for about a month.

Thunder Jones

Postby Thunder Jones » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Think there will be any movement this week? Or are we doomed to wait until May?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”