In at Tennessee 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
afolkner
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby afolkner » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

i got a phone call at around 4 this afternoon telling me that i am in and my package will be in the mail tomorrow. i feel very fortunate as i had a 2.6(georgia tech) and 163 lsat.

does anyone know how hard it is to claim instate the second year. my family owns land in tennessee, but i live in georgia now if that makes any difrence.

User avatar
deadpanic
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby deadpanic » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:09 pm

afolkner wrote:i got a phone call at around 4 this afternoon telling me that i am in and my package will be in the mail tomorrow. i feel very fortunate as i had a 2.6(georgia tech) and 163 lsat.

does anyone know how hard it is to claim instate the second year. my family owns land in tennessee, but i live in georgia now if that makes any difrence.


Congrats!

From what I understand, it is a little difficult to reclassify as in state but it can be done. Take a look at:
http://www.law.utk.edu/prospective/residency.shtml

Sean Bateman
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby Sean Bateman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 am

got the same call today. woo!
not on the top of my list, but with a generous scholarship offer and if I fall in love with the school during my visit, that could change

User avatar
samer
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby samer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Congrats to those of you accepted today! Where does UT stand on your lists? I want to get to know my future classmates! haha

GO VOLS!

tmore
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby tmore » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows of good places (areas) to look for houses/apts in knoxville. I'm in a different situation as I will be living with wife and kids (non school age)...so I'm definitely looking for something quiet and of course reasonably priced. I do not know the city at all, and will be visiting for a few days for the Admitted Student day in the end of March, so I plan on looking at some neighborhoods to check things out.

Mainly, I'm looking for places to stay away, that are not safe or kid friendly. But at the same time I would love to be as close to the law school as possible. Anyway, if someone is familiar with the area let me know.

User avatar
samer
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby samer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 am

tmore wrote:Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows of good places (areas) to look for houses/apts in knoxville. I'm in a different situation as I will be living with wife and kids (non school age)...so I'm definitely looking for something quiet and of course reasonably priced. I do not know the city at all, and will be visiting for a few days for the Admitted Student day in the end of March, so I plan on looking at some neighborhoods to check things out.

Mainly, I'm looking for places to stay away, that are not safe or kid friendly. But at the same time I would love to be as close to the law school as possible. Anyway, if someone is familiar with the area let me know.


On the law school's website, they have what they call "student ambassadors." These people can answer questions about everything from housing to social life and whatever. I contacted the housing ambassador and she basically said stay away from anything within the 640 loop, as well as the north, east, and southeast sides. She was a self-proclaimed worrier, but it seems like almost everyone lives near the school or to the west.

Here is the link to the student ambssadors page: http://www.law.utk.edu/pad/

UTKhopefull2013
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby UTKhopefull2013 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:09 pm

In review since 1/10... 75% GPA 25% LSAT. Should I tell them I am still very interested or it's better not to do anything at all and wait it out? I'm getting really nervous.

User avatar
samer
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby samer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:42 am

UTKhopefull2013 wrote:In review since 1/10... 75% GPA 25% LSAT. Should I tell them I am still very interested or it's better not to do anything at all and wait it out? I'm getting really nervous.


Dude, I wouldn't worry just yet. UT only accepts like 350-400 students for a class of 150, so they have a pretty good yield percentage. They haven't sent out too many decisions yet and I think most people waited about two months before getting a decision. At any rate, good luck and hopefully you'll hear an accetpance soon.

FWIW, I updated from "Review 12/2" to "Review 2/5" and then got a call that I was accepted. Two month turn around time

krissyyyum
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby krissyyyum » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Didn't think I'd be saying this at the beginning of my cycle, but I'm actually super excited about the prospect of attending UTK for the next three years. Knoxville seems like a great city and school. When is their preview day again?

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby lml09 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Does anyone know if utk bumps up scholarships after their first offer? I received a pretty generous one but am wondering if they ever increase offers like other schools?

User avatar
samer
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby samer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:58 pm

lml09 wrote:Does anyone know if utk bumps up scholarships after their first offer? I received a pretty generous one but am wondering if they ever increase offers like other schools?


First, congrats on the great cycle you're having!

I don't see why UTK wouldn't increase your scholarship if you asked them. I have no first-hand experience with scholarship negotiations, but from what I've read most admissions offices are receptive so long as you do it in an appropriate manner. It would probably be more effective if you could ask them to match another offer from a similarly ranked school to which you've been offered a scholarship. I'm visiting this Friday and I'll try to learn more about how they feel about scholarship things.

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby lml09 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:07 pm

samer wrote:
lml09 wrote:Does anyone know if utk bumps up scholarships after their first offer? I received a pretty generous one but am wondering if they ever increase offers like other schools?


First, congrats on the great cycle you're having!

I don't see why UTK wouldn't increase your scholarship if you asked them. I have no first-hand experience with scholarship negotiations, but from what I've read most admissions offices are receptive so long as you do it in an appropriate manner. It would probably be more effective if you could ask them to match another offer from a similarly ranked school to which you've been offered a scholarship. I'm visiting this Friday and I'll try to learn more about how they feel about scholarship things.


thanks! And good advice. I was considering sending in a letter with some info awards I've gotten since I applied and mention that I hope that the letter will assist them in considering me for more aid assistance, but I don't want to be tacky, utk has been super nice and generous as it is...

lawschool5523
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 am

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby lawschool5523 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 pm

today it changed to "a status letter has been mailed" :( not a good sign!

sweet02215
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby sweet02215 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:16 pm

IN!! Found out today when I called for status because I wasn't getting e-mails. Honestly, lawschoolpredictor told me I was going to get a flat out rejection from UTK. I'm below their 25% for gpa and above for lsat.

Do you guys know if they send scholarship offers with the letters?

I'm going to law school!! My first acceptance of the cycle! And I only went complete Feb 2! :D

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby sapp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:22 pm

sweet02215 wrote:IN!! Found out today when I called for status because I wasn't getting e-mails. Honestly, lawschoolpredictor told me I was going to get a flat out rejection from UTK. I'm below their 25% for gpa and above for lsat.

Do you guys know if they send scholarship offers with the letters?

I'm going to law school!! My first acceptance of the cycle! And I only went complete Feb 2! :D


Congrats!

sweet02215
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby sweet02215 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:41 pm

THANKS! Super excited! UTK is so much closer to home than Boston (where I live now and went for undergrad) is! :D

lawschool5523
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 am

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby lawschool5523 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:26 pm

stats?

sweet02215 wrote:IN!! Found out today when I called for status because I wasn't getting e-mails. Honestly, lawschoolpredictor told me I was going to get a flat out rejection from UTK. I'm below their 25% for gpa and above for lsat.

Do you guys know if they send scholarship offers with the letters?

I'm going to law school!! My first acceptance of the cycle! And I only went complete Feb 2! :D

sweet02215
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby sweet02215 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:31 pm

.
Last edited by sweet02215 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmore
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby tmore » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:26 pm

sweet02215 wrote:IN!! Found out today when I called for status because I wasn't getting e-mails. Honestly, lawschoolpredictor told me I was going to get a flat out rejection from UTK. I'm below their 25% for gpa and above for lsat.

Do you guys know if they send scholarship offers with the letters?

I'm going to law school!! My first acceptance of the cycle! And I only went complete Feb 2! :D



Congrats !!!

User avatar
samer
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby samer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:21 am

sweet02215 wrote:IN!! Found out today when I called for status because I wasn't getting e-mails. Honestly, lawschoolpredictor told me I was going to get a flat out rejection from UTK. I'm below their 25% for gpa and above for lsat.

Do you guys know if they send scholarship offers with the letters?

I'm going to law school!! My first acceptance of the cycle! And I only went complete Feb 2! :D


Congratulations! Love the enthusiasm! Hope to see you in Knoxville this Fall.

User avatar
DNAgent
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby DNAgent » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:57 am

Withdrew my application today, so that's $7k back in the pot. Hope someone on here gets it! Best of luck everyone :mrgreen:

User avatar
Hodgy
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby Hodgy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:54 pm

I went complete on 11-05-09 and got the Acceptance phone call at work on 02-15-10.

My numbers are 159/3.35, in state, and also did undergrad at UT.

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:08 pm

sweet02215 wrote:IN!! Found out today when I called for status because I wasn't getting e-mails. Honestly, lawschoolpredictor told me I was going to get a flat out rejection from UTK. I'm below their 25% for gpa and above for lsat.

Do you guys know if they send scholarship offers with the letters?

I'm going to law school!! My first acceptance of the cycle! And I only went complete Feb 2! :D


Scholarship offers are usually about 2-3 weeks after acceptance letter, and the first round of scholarships had a reconfirmation date of today, so I imagine that they'll be sending out the second round soon.

loxNbegels09
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:08 am

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby loxNbegels09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:49 pm

In today around noon! I was excited, TN was actually a huge reach for me (both my stats are super low), and I did the whole squeal on the phone, haha.

Oddly enough, I got a packet yesterday from LMU in Knoxville that my English-challenged father thought it was from TN. It was just a viewbook, so it was a false alarm (I was at work when he called me). So today, when I got a call from Admissions, I was floored. Can't wait until the letter comes next week, and can't wait for the Preview Day as well!

User avatar
Metroid SR388
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Postby Metroid SR388 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:42 am

Well I just got my Feb LSAT score back. I went from a 151 to a 160. I really feel lucky to have gotten into UT with my original score and hopefully this new score will help out with financial aid. I plan to call them on Monday and inform them of the update.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, AntsInMyEyesJohnson, Baby Gaga, Finickywalrus, galeatus, izha, Keilz, Majestic-12 [Bot], potterotter, reydingo, sonyco and 24 guests