In at Tennessee 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
southerngrace

New

Re: In at Tennessee 2010

Post by southerngrace » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 am

southernboy wrote:just called UTK. here's the information that the lady gave me.

203 people accepted the offer of admission on April 1st. They are shootiing for a class size of 150 so this means that they are very overfilled

As of April 9th, 40 people had already sent in their 1st seat deposit.

She said that the admissions staff did not keep numbers of how many people were in the "blank" status checker group.
To be honest, this does not sound good for the waitlist people or the blank status checker group. I think I'm going to start making plans for LSU
Wow. You're right, hoping for 50+ people to change their minds is a long shot. I guess people with blank status checkers are pretty much on the waitlist anyway. I really thought I would end up at UTK, but I guess it's time to let go of the idea.

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 am

Last edited by southernboy on Thu May 06, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:59 am

southerngrace wrote:
southernboy wrote:just called UTK. here's the information that the lady gave me.

203 people accepted the offer of admission on April 1st. They are shootiing for a class size of 150 so this means that they are very overfilled

As of April 9th, 40 people had already sent in their 1st seat deposit.

She said that the admissions staff did not keep numbers of how many people were in the "blank" status checker group.
To be honest, this does not sound good for the waitlist people or the blank status checker group. I think I'm going to start making plans for LSU
Wow. You're right, hoping for 50+ people to change their minds is a long shot. I guess people with blank status checkers are pretty much on the waitlist anyway. I really thought I would end up at UTK, but I guess it's time to let go of the idea.
Did you get the weird e-mail yesterday? It said they were overfilled and would make a decision after May 1st to those still interested (I withdrew as I've decided to go elsewhere). I wonder if they're going to really hurt their numbers by accepting way too many people early.

southerngrace

New

Post by southerngrace » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:27 pm

southernboy wrote: yeah. I'm astounded that they dont even know how many people are in the blank status checker group. Are they seriously that disorganized that they dont keep track of how many people they have in limbo??
Judging from your profile you dont seem to have much to worry about. You got FSU! Congrats!
Thank you! FSU is a great option to have and that's where I'm leaning right now, unless by some miracle I get into Colorado. Ideally, I wanted to leave Florida, and I have family in TN. Oh well!
keg411 wrote: Did you get the weird e-mail yesterday? It said they were overfilled and would make a decision after May 1st to those still interested (I withdrew as I've decided to go elsewhere). I wonder if they're going to really hurt their numbers by accepting way too many people early.
Yeah, I got that. I think they are kicking themselves right now. Looking at the numbers in LSN, they let in a lot of lower numbers early in the cycle. This year there is a huge spike in applicants across the board, so lots of qualified applicants that would have normally gotten into higher ranked schools are trickling down later in the cycle to the benefit of lower ranked schools that paced their acceptance offers. Now UTK is receiving higher quality applicants than the ones that are currently sending in their seat deposits. That's got to be frustrating for them. Great for those admitted early though, they would have probably been pushed down to lower schools as a result of the number of applications this cycle.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:41 pm

southernboy wrote:yeah. I'm astounded that they dont even know how many people are in the blank status checker group. Are they seriously that disorganized that they dont keep track of how many people they have in limbo??
doubtful. I don't know how much experience you have with applying to other law schools and riding out waitlists, but I'm surprised that they gave you the numbers of people that had accepted their offer; most schools won't give applicants any kind of information. I'm positive that they know how many people are in the "blank status checker group" and I am also reasonably sure that they have very little to gain by telling you.

But congrats on LSU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:41 pm

My status isn't blank, but it still says "review", even after I got that email Monday about continued interest. What gives?? :roll:

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 pm

I politely withdrew. Though I really felt like telling them a thing or two on my mind about the organization of their admissions office/process.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:43 pm

I withdrew this morning also. Although, I'm going to reapply next cycle and want to keep Tenn an option. In a reply to my email, someone said "You may reactivate your application for 2011 after September 1, 2010."

So, basically I wouldn't even need to really REapply? I guess this sounds like good news for anyone in my position who is dead-set on Tennessee because the application is good enough, there just isn't any room. But maybe I'm reading into this too much. It just seemed weird that it didn't say something like "We look forward to your re-application."

Heyyo5000

New

Post by Heyyo5000 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:41 pm

You would think that UTK being #52 in the nation would have a decently put together law school admissions staff and office. So much for common sense in this world :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:11 pm

haha...so I called again to ask if their was a new count of the people that had sent in seat deposits. The lady claimed that "They dont keep track of that sort of thing". hmmm...thats odd considering the other lady I called before that told me exactly how many people had sent in a seat deposit. I suspect that someone is a doing a bit of fibbing...

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Okay, my status is now blank, and there is a note at the top of the screen that says they are still considering my application and they hope to have a decision soon. Oy! :roll:

Heyyo5000

New

Post by Heyyo5000 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:07 pm

well May 1st is almost here, maybe we on the waitlist will know something by the end of next week after their seat deposits are or aren't there. Good luck to all of us!

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:50 pm

FWIW, there has been quite a bit of activity on the fb group. We've fluctuated between 88 and 96 members in the last few days. Yesterday morning it was at 91, last night it was at 90, and now it's at 91 again. What I'm trying to see is that it seems like plenty of people have given up their seats, but 90/150 seats are claimed on facebook.

I'm not sure if that helped at all, but that's what I tried to do. I know the waiting sucks, but good luck to you all. Go Vols!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:17 pm

samer wrote:FWIW, there has been quite a bit of activity on the fb group. We've fluctuated between 88 and 96 members in the last few days. Yesterday morning it was at 91, last night it was at 90, and now it's at 91 again. What I'm trying to see is that it seems like plenty of people have given up their seats, but 90/150 seats are claimed on facebook.

I'm not sure if that helped at all, but that's what I tried to do. I know the waiting sucks, but good luck to you all. Go Vols!
I'm not sure that that 90 is a garuantee. If you look, a lot of people on that group are 1st and 2nd year law students looking for roommates

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:22 pm

southernboy wrote:
samer wrote:FWIW, there has been quite a bit of activity on the fb group. We've fluctuated between 88 and 96 members in the last few days. Yesterday morning it was at 91, last night it was at 90, and now it's at 91 again. What I'm trying to see is that it seems like plenty of people have given up their seats, but 90/150 seats are claimed on facebook.

I'm not sure that that 90 is a garuantee. If you look, a lot of people on that group are 1st and 2nd year law students looking for roommates
I wouldn't say a lot of them are, but you're right. There are probably 10 1Ls and 2Ls, and one guy who doesn't even go to UT but lives in Knoxville. That's probably an even better sign for these people still waiting on decisions, I would imagine.

Thunder Jones

Bronze

Post by Thunder Jones » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Don't get my hopes up. Right now, I'm trying to decide between schools I'll settle for and the lure of Tennessee makes them all look like huge settles....

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:08 pm

samer wrote:
southernboy wrote:

I wouldn't say a lot of them are, but you're right. There are probably 10 1Ls and 2Ls, and one guy who doesn't even go to UT but lives in Knoxville. That's probably an even better sign for these people still waiting on decisions, I would imagine.
yeah...I'm not sure whether the fb group is a good indicator or not, though. I would imagine that there are plenty of people who are planning on attending UTK who either don't have a facebook, or have not joined the group yet. So there is a likelihood that the number is actually far more than 90.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:03 pm

hey, to anyone who got the 2nd 'are you still interested' email and responded in the affirmative, have you gotten any sort of acknowledgement that it had been received yet? I faxed mine in a week ago and so far they havent emailed me to say it had been received

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:53 pm

southernboy wrote:hey, to anyone who got the 2nd 'are you still interested' email and responded in the affirmative, have you gotten any sort of acknowledgement that it had been received yet? I faxed mine in a week ago and so far they havent emailed me to say it had been received

Same here. I returned it promptly, but still no word. However, my status checker is now blank.

sweet02215

New

Post by sweet02215 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Does anyone know if the deposit can be paid online? I've been in transit all day and i'm freaking out!

tmore

New

Post by tmore » Sat May 01, 2010 7:13 pm

sweet02215 wrote:Does anyone know if the deposit can be paid online? I've been in transit all day and i'm freaking out!
NO, you have to mail the check/money order......

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sweet02215

New

Post by sweet02215 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Actually I just paid online. Thanks anyway:)

jillybean29

New

Post by jillybean29 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:14 am

sweet02215 wrote:Actually I just paid online. Thanks anyway:)
How'd you do that? Will definitely use for my 2nd round.

tmore

New

Post by tmore » Sun May 02, 2010 10:05 pm

jillybean29 wrote:
sweet02215 wrote:Actually I just paid online. Thanks anyway:)
How'd you do that? Will definitely use for my 2nd round.

Yes...Please let me know, as I was 100% sure you had to mail it....I actually overnighted my check (could have save $19 bucks if I knew how to pay online).......oh well.....

lawschool5523

Bronze

Post by lawschool5523 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:39 am

anyone think those on the waitlist will hear anything this week

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”