BC Law 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
krispykitten

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby krispykitten » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:22 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
eberl032 wrote:My parents let me know that I recieved a letter from BC. Not a package, just a normal sized letter :( Does this mean Im out? I wont be able to get it till the 23rd when I go home.

It sounds like 'hold' letters are also small envelopes, but idk...

Just have them read it. Then you'll know.

dms87

Postby dms87 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:07 am

kalvano wrote:Finally arrived, small envelope.

Oh well, such is life.

Sorry buddy. Good luck with the rest of your cycle.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:18 am

Burger in a can wrote:

Oh well, such is life.

Sorry man.

dms87 wrote:

Oh well, such is life.

It's one of those schools I was hoping for but not planning on.

I will be nice to children for a week if I get in to BU.

Good luck to everyone still waiting / held.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:25 am

kalvano wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

Oh well, such is life.

Sorry man.

dms87 wrote:
Oh well, such is life.

It's one of those schools I was hoping for but not planning on.

I will be nice to children for a week if I get in to BU.

Good luck to everyone still waiting / held.

I'm really sorry to hear it :(

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:28 am

Oddly, it doesn't really make me that sad. I knew it was such a long shot.

But I highly encourage anyone who thinks there is even a .02% chance to apply, so you know for sure. I much prefer having tried and knowing for sure than wondering 15 years down the road.

Besides, I got into a T50 yesterday (Wake Forest), which was my goal when I began applying, so that kind of offset any disappointment. Now if I can just crack T30, I will be unbelievably happy.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:30 am

kalvano wrote:Oddly, it doesn't really make me that sad. I knew it was such a long shot.

But I highly encourage anyone who thinks there is even a .02% chance to apply, so you know for sure. I much prefer having tried and knowing for sure than wondering 15 years down the road.

Besides, I got into a T50 yesterday (Wake Forest), which was my goal when I began applying, so that kind of offset any disappointment. Now if I can just crack T30, I will be unbelievably happy.

Hey, congrats! (And thanks for finding the info on their ED program)

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:13 am

I got a call from Minnesota informing me that I got accepted there on the same day that I got a rejection letter from BC. Well, Minnesota > BC so BC can go fuck themselves.

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:14 am

BoomBoom1986 wrote:I got a call from Minnesota informing me that I got accepted there on the same day that I got a rejection letter from BC. Well, Minnesota > BC so BC can go fuck themselves.

I'd like to be able to say this but sadly cannot yet.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:16 am

kalvano wrote:Oddly, it doesn't really make me that sad. I knew it was such a long shot.

Well, congrats on Wake Forest, and good luck with the rest of your cycle. BC is being so unpredictable so I don't think that this means anything in terms of your chances elsewhere. You obviously don't need anyone to tell you that, though. :D

tram988

Postby tram988 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:50 am

BoomBoom1986 wrote:I got a call from Minnesota informing me that I got accepted there on the same day that I got a rejection letter from BC. Well, Minnesota > BC so BC can go fuck themselves.

silly bitterness...BC could say the same to you! Oh wait..they already did. :P

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

Well, congrats on Wake Forest, and good luck with the rest of your cycle. BC is being so unpredictable so I don't think that this means anything in terms of your chances elsewhere. You obviously don't need anyone to tell you that, though. :D

Yeah, but they can't say BC > Minnesota. Minnesota can say they're > BC, though. hehe Yay for the rankings making me feel better, haha.

ViP

Postby ViP » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:29 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

Yeah, but they can't say BC > Minnesota. Minnesota can say they're > BC, though. hehe Yay for the rankings making me feel better, haha.

(insert lay prestige factor)

Sorry, it was too tempting. :P

tram988

Postby tram988 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:52 pm

ViP wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

Haha exactly! 20 v. 26 is negligible. I'd rather have access to the Boston job market :) I'd take BC over Minnesota any day no questions asked.
Last edited by tram988 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 pm

tram988 wrote:

Haha exactly! 20 v. 26 is negligible. I'd rather have access to the Boston market :)

I know, right? Their mashed potatoes aren't that great, but goddamn, they have some tasty-ass chicken! :)

EDIT- oh man, you edited and now my joke makes no sense. :(
Last edited by Burger in a can on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
tram988 wrote:

Haha exactly! 20 v. 26 is negligible. I'd rather have access to the Boston market :)

I know, right? Their mashed potatoes aren't that great, but goddamn, they have some tasty-ass chicken! :)

hahahaha! You beat me to my edit.

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:29 pm

PLZ HELP!!!!!! I haven't heard anything from BC yet, no mail and no e-mail. should I be worried or is this a good sign? I checked my status checker and it still says pending decision. Why is everybody else hearing back already except for me?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:36 pm

lfgsuperman wrote:PLZ HELP!!!!!! I haven't heard anything from BC yet, no mail and no e-mail. should I be worried or is this a good sign? I checked my status checker and it still says pending decision. Why is everybody else hearing back already except for me?

Did you apply EA?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
lfgsuperman wrote:PLZ HELP!!!!!! I haven't heard anything from BC yet, no mail and no e-mail. should I be worried or is this a good sign? I checked my status checker and it still says pending decision. Why is everybody else hearing back already except for me?

Did you apply EA?

+1. In case you didn't know:

For applicants whose applications are submitted by November 1, with the personal statement and fee, and whose files are complete, with both recommendations and LSDAS report, by November 23, 2009, we shall send an admission decision by December 15, 2009. Should you be admitted to the law school, it is a non-binding decision and you would not be required to submit a tuition deposit earlier than mid-April. If you wish to apply to the early notification program, please indicate so on the application for admission. Early notification applicants must take the LSAT no later than the October administration.

You have to indicate this on the application form. My application was complete on 11/16 but I was still not considered for Early Notification because I didn't check the box. (on purpose)

BC2010

Postby BC2010 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Just to put in my 2 cents (this is all just in my personal experience). There are 14 national schools. They didn't arbitrarily pick 14 for the cutoff number for elite law schools, there just only are 14 of them. If you crack into the T-14, you are set: you do the best dance move you know how to and you accept and you go and have a pretty legit life. After that things get complicated...

The next 86 schools (considered Tier 1) are regional schools. Each regional job market could construct their own rankings. If you are a vagabond with no cultural or familial ties to a region, then you can apply the USNWR ranking (you would also have a pretty original PS). But for those of us with ties to a region, NE in my example, the rankings take on a new form.

I've got a friend who got into USC last year but he went to Fordham because his entire family and all of his political connections were in NYC. I know for a fact that Nixon Peabody in Boston doesn't have MNLaw Recruitment in their rolodex, and haven't interviewed a MN grad in the past 30 years.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you want to know which school in the T-14 has been naughty or nice and lost/jumped a spot, use USNWR. If you want to know what regional school is better, look at job placement in the region you want to move to in 3 years.

BC2010

Postby BC2010 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Having said that, MN law has an incredible program and great job placement in their market. So congrats on that! And don't take my rant on the USNWR as anything personal.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:13 pm

pmomnie wrote:

Just to put in my 2 cents (this is all just in my personal experience). There are 14 national schools. They didn't arbitrarily pick 14 for the cutoff number for elite law schools, there just only are 14 of them. If you crack into the T-14, you are set: you do the best dance move you know how to and you accept and you go and have a pretty legit life. After that things get complicated...

The next 86 schools (considered Tier 1) are regional schools. Each regional job market could construct their own rankings. If you are a vagabond with no cultural or familial ties to a region, then you can apply the USNWR ranking (you would also have a pretty original PS). But for those of us with ties to a region, NE in my example, the rankings take on a new form.

I've got a friend who got into USC last year but he went to Fordham because his entire family and all of his political connections were in NYC. I know for a fact that Nixon Peabody in Boston doesn't have MNLaw Recruitment in their rolodex, and haven't interviewed a MN grad in the past 30 years.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you want to know which school in the T-14 has been naughty or nice and lost/jumped a spot, use USNWR. If you want to know what regional school is better, look at job placement in the region you want to move to in 3 years.

I feel like this applies to BIGLaw only...no?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:13 pm

pmomnie wrote:

One could also argue that Vandy, UCLA, and to an extent Texas, are "national" as well...

jay115

Postby jay115 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:33 pm

danidancer wrote:
pmomnie wrote:

One could also argue that Vandy, UCLA, and to an extent Texas, are "national" as well...

in at BC! jeez, i wish i had political connections... :(

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:57 pm

jay115 wrote:
in at BC! jeez, i wish i had political connections... :(

Looking at your acceptance record and you numbers, I'd be surprised if you didn't. :D

FreddyBigShot

Postby FreddyBigShot » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Haha exactly! 20 v. 26 is negligible. I'd rather have access to the Boston job market :) I'd take BC over Minnesota any day no questions asked.

Boston still has a job market???

All kidding aside, from what I've read in other forums the 3Ls at Minny have a brighter future (at least in the shirt-term) than their counterparts at BC. But you're also right, in that the difference is negligible...but still, there is a difference.

Both schools are in awesome cities, though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”