BC Law 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:49 pm

puppins wrote:
dakatz wrote:
puppins wrote:wtf. held? seriously?


Sorry to hear it. Again, at the very least, your application will be looked at again from scratch so you have time to add in a LOCI or a new rec to beef it up even more in the meantime. Mind sharing what date your decision is listed as in the status checker, or your stats?


I will probably not do anything to try and get in off of hold. my decision date was 12/9, my stats are way above median.


Hmm, perhaps it could be a case of YP.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby Veritas » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 pm

puppins wrote:wtf. held? seriously?

:shock: this is like the most obvious YP ever. I don't get it, I thought they didn't YP?

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Veritas wrote:
puppins wrote:wtf. held? seriously?

:shock: this is like the most obvious YP ever. I don't get it, I thought they didn't YP?


I feel almost like I should write a LOCI anyway just to mess with their yield. I suspect my vindictiveness will pass though.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby Veritas » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:57 pm

puppins wrote:
Veritas wrote:
puppins wrote:wtf. held? seriously?

:shock: this is like the most obvious YP ever. I don't get it, I thought they didn't YP?


I feel almost like I should write a LOCI anyway just to mess with their yield. I suspect my vindictiveness will pass though.

I'm sorry! If they only knew that you really liked them for who they are and not just for their lower medians....

I'm kinda scurred to get mine.

PS I Imed you but it just kept kicking back my message so it went like this:

Veri: wtf?
Pupps: wtf?
veri: LOL
pupps: LOL
veri: hahah
pupps: hahah
veri: omg that just made my day
pupps: omg that just made my day

then I realized I was talking to myself.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Veritas wrote:
PS I Imed you but it just kept kicking back my message so it went like this:

Veri: wtf?
Pupps: wtf?
veri: LOL
pupps: LOL
veri: hahah
pupps: hahah
veri: omg that just made my day
pupps: omg that just made my day

then I realized I was talking to myself.


lol

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby uganik » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Veritas wrote:
puppins wrote:wtf. held? seriously?

:shock: this is like the most obvious YP ever. I don't get it, I thought they didn't YP?



Veritas-

You took the words right out of my mouth.......

mchrop10
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby mchrop10 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:14 pm

puppins wrote:
dakatz wrote:
puppins wrote:wtf. held? seriously?


Sorry to hear it. Again, at the very least, your application will be looked at again from scratch so you have time to add in a LOCI or a new rec to beef it up even more in the meantime. Mind sharing what date your decision is listed as in the status checker, or your stats?


I will probably not do anything to try and get in off of hold. my decision date was 12/9, my stats are way above median.



I heard this happened a lot last year as well (people with numbers above both 75th percentiles and being held/rejected) and that BC supposedly places a lot emphasis on prestigious undergrad institutions (I obviously don't know where you go)....

acecrusher06
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby acecrusher06 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:30 pm

why do they hold certain people aside from YP?

killuminati
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby killuminati » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Veritas wrote:
puppins wrote:
Veritas wrote:
puppins wrote:wtf. held? seriously?

:shock: this is like the most obvious YP ever. I don't get it, I thought they didn't YP?


I feel almost like I should write a LOCI anyway just to mess with their yield. I suspect my vindictiveness will pass though.

I'm sorry! If they only knew that you really liked them for who they are and not just for their lower medians....

I'm kinda scurred to get mine.

PS I Imed you but it just kept kicking back my message so it went like this:

Veri: wtf?
Pupps: wtf?
veri: LOL
pupps: LOL
veri: hahah
pupps: hahah
veri: omg that just made my day
pupps: omg that just made my day

then I realized I was talking to myself.



Hey veritas did you get your BU packet yet? If so how long did it take between the phone call and the actual reception of your packet. I got the call last wednesday...should've been mailed last thursday but still no word. You said you lived in SD and I'm in OC so I'm hoping for it this week.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby Veritas » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:37 pm

^^^

I got the call on a Thursday and I believe I received the packet that following Monday.

killuminati
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby killuminati » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Veritas wrote:^^^

I got the call on a Thursday and I believe I received the packet that following Monday.


ugh...yeah USPS says it takes 2 days as well as long as it's domestic...I guess I'll just have to keep waiting. Thanks for the info bro =)

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Seeing as there seems to be a strong trend for holds, I am going to predict I get one as well. 166/3.29. I think all schools just want to negate the fact that I applied to them early. I applied to six schools early. UVA rejected me (no surprise, and probably the only school of the six to give a decision in a timely fashion). Fordham WLed me and now I'll bet that I don't get a decision from BC. UMN and GW don't tell me until January.

It seems to me that schools really don't want these early applications as there seems to be little benefit to us getting them in. If I were going to do it over I'd tell people to make sure their applications are in early at the schools with rolling admissions. I'd tell them its a gamble if EA helps at schools like Fordham and BC.

Obviously a hold or a WL is better than a rejection, but I thought applying early meant getting a decision earlier. After the huge number of people WLed at Fordham and my predicted hold at BC, I'm feeling like neither school is drawing me to attend. I don't like playing games with this type of thing and that is exactly what they are doing. I'm not naive, I know they have a right to do it and want to protect their numbers, but I still think a decision isn't that hard to come by. I also know I won't be waiting around for either of these schools come deposit time.

The wait doesn't bother me, it is the fact that they build up the decision date and then don't follow through. I'd have rather been in the RD pool and not known when it was going to come. I doubt I'll get a decision from either Fordham or BC sooner than I would had I applied RD.

User avatar
lateforthesky16
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby lateforthesky16 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:49 pm

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:Seeing as there seems to be a strong trend for holds, I am going to predict I get one as well. 166/3.29. I think all schools just want to negate the fact that I applied to them early. I applied to six schools early. UVA rejected me (no surprise, and probably the only school of the six to give a decision in a timely fashion). Fordham WLed me and now I'll bet that I don't get a decision from BC. UMN and GW don't tell me until January.

It seems to me that schools really don't want these early applications as there seems to be little benefit to us getting them in. If I were going to do it over I'd tell people to make sure their applications are in early at the schools with rolling admissions. I'd tell them its a gamble if EA helps at schools like Fordham and BC.

Obviously a hold or a WL is better than a rejection, but I thought applying early meant getting a decision earlier. After the huge number of people WLed at Fordham and my predicted hold at BC, I'm feeling like neither school is drawing me to attend. I don't like playing games with this type of thing and that is exactly what they are doing. I'm not naive, I know they have a right to do it and want to protect their numbers, but I still think a decision isn't that hard to come by. I also know I won't be waiting around for either of these schools come deposit time.

The wait doesn't bother me, it is the fact that they build up the decision date and then don't follow through. I'd have rather been in the RD pool and not known when it was going to come. I doubt I'll get a decision from either Fordham or BC sooner than I would had I applied RD.




I agree with all of this. I'm starting to feel like I would've been given a better look by schools if I'd applied RD. Sure, I haven't been surprised by any of my decisions so far, but for some reason I'm not at all confident about hearing back from the schools I should have a good chance at. It seems schools are more deferral-happy this year, and yeah that's better than a waitlist...but I still hate it. I haven't heard back from BC yet but I do know I'll be really disappointed if I'm deferred. BC is one of my top realistic choices and if I get deferred I think it's safe to say this is going to be a reaaallllyyy long cycle. good luck to you. hope you hear some good news soon! :)

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:59 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:Seeing as there seems to be a strong trend for holds, I am going to predict I get one as well. 166/3.29. I think all schools just want to negate the fact that I applied to them early. I applied to six schools early. UVA rejected me (no surprise, and probably the only school of the six to give a decision in a timely fashion). Fordham WLed me and now I'll bet that I don't get a decision from BC. UMN and GW don't tell me until January.

It seems to me that schools really don't want these early applications as there seems to be little benefit to us getting them in. If I were going to do it over I'd tell people to make sure their applications are in early at the schools with rolling admissions. I'd tell them its a gamble if EA helps at schools like Fordham and BC.

Obviously a hold or a WL is better than a rejection, but I thought applying early meant getting a decision earlier. After the huge number of people WLed at Fordham and my predicted hold at BC, I'm feeling like neither school is drawing me to attend. I don't like playing games with this type of thing and that is exactly what they are doing. I'm not naive, I know they have a right to do it and want to protect their numbers, but I still think a decision isn't that hard to come by. I also know I won't be waiting around for either of these schools come deposit time.

The wait doesn't bother me, it is the fact that they build up the decision date and then don't follow through. I'd have rather been in the RD pool and not known when it was going to come. I doubt I'll get a decision from either Fordham or BC sooner than I would had I applied RD.




I agree with all of this. I'm starting to feel like I would've been given a better look by schools if I'd applied RD. Sure, I haven't been surprised by any of my decisions so far, but for some reason I'm not at all confident about hearing back from the schools I should have a good chance at. It seems schools are more deferral-happy this year, and yeah that's better than a waitlist...but I still hate it. I haven't heard back from BC yet but I do know I'll be really disappointed if I'm deferred. BC is one of my top realistic choices and if I get deferred I think it's safe to say this is going to be a reaaallllyyy long cycle. good luck to you. hope you hear some good news soon! :)


It seems like maybe this year, and perhaps last year, EA might not really be beneficial at all because of the sheer volume of applications. I could totally be wrong about this, but I think that the reason schools even offer EA is that they are just as anxious as we are to get an idea of how their cycle will turn out. But with almost every school seeing HUGE increases in applications, maybe adcomms just feel like their cycles are suddenly much harder to predict?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:01 am

I feel as if I am royally fucked.

Not that I ever held much hope, but it's all gone now.

At least I might hear from Wake Forest on Friday as well, and I am expecting good things there.

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:05 am

I'm really fine with my decision to do EA. I didn't really want to gripe about it all, I just find it frustrating. I'm patient with my other decisions because I won't make a move on anything until mid-Feb unless I get the Presidential Scholarship at GW (which is highly unlikely given the competition for it). I should be patient with these schools as well, I just hate the build up.

Good luck to the rest of you waiting or (waiting longer). If I were to give advice to anyone applying in the future I'd say write the "Why X" essay. Since so many people applied to so many schools this cycle, it might show your sincerity if you have something interesting to say about it. I didn't write the essays and also didn't have a strong idea of my top choices when I applied this cycle. Likely I would have cut BC, GW, Fordham, and Emory if I did it over again. I expect I might get in to all of them at some point, but doubt I'll get much money. 200K is at least 100 more than I feel comfortable with. I could have used that $300 from the applications for more travel money in the spring.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:17 am

kalvano wrote:I feel as if I am royally fucked.

Not that I ever held much hope, but it's all gone now.


+1. For some reason it feels like the best of my cycle has already come and gone, and I'm looking down the cold, dirty barrel of some serious 12 gauge disappointment, to be rationed out painfully slowly between now and August. I am naturally pessimistic, especially about myself, but seriously with all of these deferral waves and mass waitlist massacres, I just have sort of a shitty feeling about my chances.

EDIT: That being said, I am very thankful to have been accepted to 3 places so far, and honored that they are offering me money.

mchrop10
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby mchrop10 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:21 am

Burger in a can wrote:
kalvano wrote:I feel as if I am royally fucked.

Not that I ever held much hope, but it's all gone now.


+1. For some reason it feels like the best of my cycle has already come and gone, and I'm looking down the cold, dirty barrel of some serious 12 gauge disappointment, to be rationed out painfully slowly between now and August. I am naturally pessimistic, especially about myself, but seriously with all of these deferral waves and mass waitlist massacres, I just have sort of a shitty feeling about my chances.

EDIT: That being said, I am very thankful to have been accepted to 3 places so far, and honored that they are offering me money.



+1,000,000

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tesoro » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:31 am

This is the only place on earth where people gather to gripe about anticipated rejections.

Are you guys serious? YOU HAVENT GOTTEN YOUR DECISIONS YET! If you all were so convinced that you were going to get denied you wouldn't have applied. Let's at least calm down and wait for the letters before commiserating over a hypothetical imminent hold/WL/deny... (obviously this is directed to the people griping who haven't received their letters yet).

Deep breaths everyone, just one more day.

User avatar
GobiasIndustries
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby GobiasIndustries » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 am

Anticipatory bump for some more letters today. And tesoro is right - chill out. Or at least post in a style that doesn't convey how incredibly anxious you are about the situation ( :shock: ).

If yesterday's recipients want to clue us in on the size/type/nature of the package/letter they received, I'm sure it would help us all jump to conclusions when we see/have it described to us. :wink:

Good luck!

User avatar
Katerina
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby Katerina » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:35 am

GobiasIndustries wrote:If yesterday's recipients want to clue us in on the size/type/nature of the package/letter they received, I'm sure it would help us all jump to conclusions when we see/have it described to us.


Acceptance: Contains letter, two forms, and a viewbook. Less than an inch thick in a large, white packet. No Vandy-type Box for BC.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:35 am

GobiasIndustries wrote:If yesterday's recipients want to clue us in on the size/type/nature of the package/letter they received, I'm sure it would help us all jump to conclusions when we see/have it described to us. :wink:

Good luck!


my hold came in a regulation sized envelope, white, nothing special. it was a single piece of paper I think. Not even a viewbook or anything. lame.

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby krispykitten » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 am

.
Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:44 am

Between this and the Cornell thread I'd might as well start hanging out aboard the USS Bitter Pessimism. There seems to be no good news coming out today and my glass is looking less than half full.

smiley
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby smiley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:44 am

all right people here we go :D i'll be anxiously proctoring exams all day, waiting for my parents to get home and read my fate. good luck to everyone, acceptances for all (it's xmas)!!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Ferrisjso and 5 guests