BC Law 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:04 pm

cherryalamode wrote:
tram988 wrote:Hey it's hard to remain objective at this point. I've visited both the schools and absolutely fell in love with BC. And besides, this is the BC thread! :P


Yea a lot of people like BC over BU and I'm wondering if that's because BC has a campus and BU really doesn't. It's a huge factor to many people, whether they admit it or not.

I mean what else could it be? Maybe the reputed "friendlier" atmosphere...?

I believe its the atmosphere. Both are very prestigious but BC has more lay prestige (in Boston.) BC has a very warm and inviting feel to it. The BU tower made me wince. However, BU does have some great students as well. Blindmelon is a great person who attends BU and posts on this forum. It really comes down to personal feel for most people. For me, BC is the winner.

I plan on living in the city and commuting via the T to BC.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:06 pm

tram988 wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
tram988 wrote:Hey it's hard to remain objective at this point. I've visited both the schools and absolutely fell in love with BC. And besides, this is the BC thread! :P


Yea a lot of people like BC over BU and I'm wondering if that's because BC has a campus and BU really doesn't. It's a huge factor to many people, whether they admit it or not.

I mean what else could it be? Maybe the reputed "friendlier" atmosphere...?

I believe its the atmosphere. Both are very prestigious but BC has more lay prestige (in Boston.) BC has a very warm and inviting feel to it. The BU tower made me wince. However, BU does have some great students as well. Blindmelon is a great person who attends BU and posts on this forum. It really comes down to personal feel for most people. For me, BC is the winner.

I plan on living in the city and commuting via the T to BC.


For me, the winner is whoever accepts me IF either accept me.

And yea, I feel like I would prefer BC more, but we'll see...

And they call the BU tower the tower of terror lol.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:09 pm

Man I hate that tower. People just seemed happier at BC. I'm sure youll get into at least one of the two!

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:16 pm

tram988 wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
tram988 wrote:Hey it's hard to remain objective at this point. I've visited both the schools and absolutely fell in love with BC. And besides, this is the BC thread! :P


Yea a lot of people like BC over BU and I'm wondering if that's because BC has a campus and BU really doesn't. It's a huge factor to many people, whether they admit it or not.

I mean what else could it be? Maybe the reputed "friendlier" atmosphere...?

I believe its the atmosphere. Both are very prestigious but BC has more lay prestige (in Boston.) BC has a very warm and inviting feel to it. The BU tower made me wince. However, BU does have some great students as well. Blindmelon is a great person who attends BU and posts on this forum. It really comes down to personal feel for most people. For me, BC is the winner.

I plan on living in the city and commuting via the T to BC.

Two very similar, yet very different schools.

For me, BC's campus > BU's 'tower', but BU being in Boston > BC being in Newton. Its hard to call one or the other better overall. Both excellent schools. I'd be jumping for joy to get off the wait list at BC, or hear good news from BU.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:17 pm

I hear you Harlan. The only thing I must say that while yes BU is in Boston, it is Allston. You have Comm. Ave but that's it. Boston, in my opinion, is downtown. Downtown consists of the financial district, the commons, and the garden. Neither BU or BC is in prime Boston location IMO.
Last edited by tram988 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:19 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
tram988 wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
tram988 wrote:Hey it's hard to remain objective at this point. I've visited both the schools and absolutely fell in love with BC. And besides, this is the BC thread! :P


Yea a lot of people like BC over BU and I'm wondering if that's because BC has a campus and BU really doesn't. It's a huge factor to many people, whether they admit it or not.

I mean what else could it be? Maybe the reputed "friendlier" atmosphere...?

I believe its the atmosphere. Both are very prestigious but BC has more lay prestige (in Boston.) BC has a very warm and inviting feel to it. The BU tower made me wince. However, BU does have some great students as well. Blindmelon is a great person who attends BU and posts on this forum. It really comes down to personal feel for most people. For me, BC is the winner.

I plan on living in the city and commuting via the T to BC.

Two very similar, yet very different schools.

For me, BC's campus > BU's 'tower', but BU being in Boston > BC being in Newton. Its hard to call one or the other better overall. Both excellent schools. I'd be jumping for joy to get off the wait list at BC, or hear good news from BU.


This once again realllly comes down to preferences because I, for example, would prefer to be away from the center of town. It'd be quieter but at the same time, the city is not so far away.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 pm

tram988 wrote:I hear you Harlan. The only thing I must say that while yes BU is in Boston, it is Allston. You have Comm. Ave but that's it. Boston, in my opinion, is downtown. Downtown consists of the financial district, the commons, and the garden. Neither is in prime Boston location.

True, though BU is right on the green line; BC law is a bit of a trek (or take a shuttle?) from the T. Makes access to the rest of the city a little easier.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
tram988 wrote:I hear you Harlan. The only thing I must say that while yes BU is in Boston, it is Allston. You have Comm. Ave but that's it. Boston, in my opinion, is downtown. Downtown consists of the financial district, the commons, and the garden. Neither is in prime Boston location.

True, though BU is right on the green line; BC law is a bit of a trek (or take a shuttle?) from the T. Makes access to the rest of the city a little easier.

True...BC is about a 5 min shuttle away from the green line. There is no doubt that BU is more in Boston than BC. But, neither BU nor BC is in what we most commonly associate with Boston. Suffolk in this case wins. Can't beat Suffolk Law's location.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:26 pm

tram988 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
tram988 wrote:I hear you Harlan. The only thing I must say that while yes BU is in Boston, it is Allston. You have Comm. Ave but that's it. Boston, in my opinion, is downtown. Downtown consists of the financial district, the commons, and the garden. Neither is in prime Boston location.

True, though BU is right on the green line; BC law is a bit of a trek (or take a shuttle?) from the T. Makes access to the rest of the city a little easier.

True...BC is about a 5 min shuttle away from the green line. There is no doubt that BU is more in Boston than BC. But, neither BU nor BC is in what we most commonly associate with Boston. Suffolk in this case wins. Can't beat Suffolk Law's location.

Very true. Suffolk's new building is also pretty impressive. Not quite the serene, idylic BC campus, but a nice facility. Hell of a city/metro area for legal education.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Yeah they do have a great location. I much prefer BC's campus though. Justice have you been accepted to BC or BU yet?

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:36 pm

tram988 wrote:Yeah they do have a great location. I much prefer BC's campus though. Justice have you been accepted to BC or BU yet?


He wrote that he was WL for BC and is pending for BU....

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:36 pm

cherryalamode wrote:
tram988 wrote:Yeah they do have a great location. I much prefer BC's campus though. Justice have you been accepted to BC or BU yet?


He wrote that he was WL for BC and is pending for BU....

ahh thank you. My browser is being strange tonight.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:40 pm

cherryalamode wrote:
tram988 wrote:Yeah they do have a great location. I much prefer BC's campus though. Justice have you been accepted to BC or BU yet?


He wrote that he was WL for BC and is pending for BU....

Haha, yeah, this is where I'm at. A man can dream, though.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
tram988 wrote:Yeah they do have a great location. I much prefer BC's campus though. Justice have you been accepted to BC or BU yet?


He wrote that he was WL for BC and is pending for BU....

Haha, yeah, this is where I'm at. A man can dream, though.

Did you write a LOCI?

User avatar
The Pen Is Mightier
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 pm

tram988 wrote:I hear you Harlan. The only thing I must say that while yes BU is in Boston, it is Allston. You have Comm. Ave but that's it. Boston, in my opinion, is downtown. Downtown consists of the financial district, the commons, and the garden. Neither BU or BC is in prime Boston location IMO.


As someone who lived in Allston, I feel like I'm a little fit to weigh in on this... Just imho, but BU's location is pretty prime. You're close to kenmore square which is a much livelier area than downtown boston (save for faneuil hall, but once you turn 21, the veneer rubs off of that scene a little). Back bay and boylston st are also walkable from BU's campus and the places you would actually live are much more in the mix of things for BU.

To the person who said they planned on taking the T out to BC daily, I should warn you that the B line stops every friggin block and takes an inordinate amount of time to get to the point where you have to take the shuttle out to BC law campus. So yeah, BU location, again, imho, wins out, but the campus (tower of terror) is probably less desireable.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:
tram988 wrote:I hear you Harlan. The only thing I must say that while yes BU is in Boston, it is Allston. You have Comm. Ave but that's it. Boston, in my opinion, is downtown. Downtown consists of the financial district, the commons, and the garden. Neither BU or BC is in prime Boston location IMO.


As someone who lived in Allston, I feel like I'm a little fit to weigh in on this... Just imho, but BU's location is pretty prime. You're close to kenmore square which is a much livelier area than downtown boston (save for faneuil hall, but once you turn 21, the veneer rubs off of that scene a little). Back bay and boylston st are also walkable from BU's campus and the places you would actually live are much more in the mix of things for BU.

To the person who said they planned on taking the T out to BC daily, I should warn you that the B line stops every friggin block and takes an inordinate amount of time to get to the point where you have to take the shuttle out to BC law campus. So yeah, BU location, again, imho, wins out, but the campus (tower of terror) is probably less desireable.


I've lived in downtown Boston for many years and I have to disagree with you that BU's location is prime. Downtown, including the financial district, Faneuil Hall, Boylston, and Tremont St. are >>>> Allston. While Allston is "lively" it has a very bad reputation in Boston. When most people picture Boston, downtown is what comes to mind-- not Allston, or Newton for that matter. I am very familiar with the B line as well.

Suffolk wins lol

It is indubitable that BU is more in the city than BC. But, it must be said, neither is prime Boston location.

User avatar
The Pen Is Mightier
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 pm

[quote="tram988]

I've lived in downtown Boston for many years and I have to disagree with you that BU's location is prime. Downtown, including the financial district, Faneuil Hall, Boylston, and Tremont St. are >>>> Allston. While Allston is "lively" it has a very bad reputation in Boston. When most people picture Boston, downtown is what comes to mind-- not Allston, or Newton for that matter. I am very familiar with the B line as well.

Suffolk wins lol

It is indubitable that BU is more in the city than BC. But, it must be said, neither is prime Boston location.[/quote]

Oh yeah. Allston blows. I'm just saying that BU really isn't in Allston. You're close to Kenmore/Fenway/Back Bay and you never have to go past BU Central on the green.

Yeah Sufflok or NESL obviously win... but they're Suffolk and NESL...

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:29 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:Oh yeah. Allston blows. I'm just saying that BU really isn't in Allston. You're close to Kenmore/Fenway/Back Bay and you never have to go past BU Central on the green.

Yeah Sufflok or NESL obviously win... but they're Suffolk and NESL...


Haha I agree that they are schools I wouldn't attend. BU has a better location than BC, but I still don't know about that awful tower of terror. The one great thing about BU is the location on the Charles-- great views. However, I think I'd sacrifice a little bit of location for better facilities. I dont mind a 20-30 minute commute.

Also, sadly, If I go to BC I wont be commuting from downtown. I'm still unsure where I will live. For me, after much deliberation, BC wins. I still have to sit-in on classes from both schools to make my final decision. Choices Oh Choices.

User avatar
The Pen Is Mightier
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Ha yeah, def a tough choice to make.

I just don't want anyone comparing the schools under the misconceptions that BU is in the slums of Allston or that the B line functions anything like a normal subway line.

If I were to end up at BC, I'd probably just suck it up and get a car. That also gives the benefit of driving into town on saturdays, parking anywhere, drinking my fill, leaving the car overnight and coming back in on sunday morning for brunch/car pickup. Love that move.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:51 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:Ha yeah, def a tough choice to make.

I just don't want anyone comparing the schools under the misconceptions that BU is in the slums of Allston or that the B line functions anything like a normal subway line.

If I were to end up at BC, I'd probably just suck it up and get a car. That also gives the benefit of driving into town on saturdays, parking anywhere, drinking my fill, leaving the car overnight and coming back in on sunday morning for brunch/car pickup. Love that move.


Agreed. BU is definitely not in the slums of Allston. That car idea sounds viable. I'm going to consider that.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:47 am

tram988 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
tram988 wrote:Yeah they do have a great location. I much prefer BC's campus though. Justice have you been accepted to BC or BU yet?


He wrote that he was WL for BC and is pending for BU....

Haha, yeah, this is where I'm at. A man can dream, though.

Did you write a LOCI?

Yup. I didn't write any "why BC" part to the app originally, so I genuinely had plenty of good, BC specific things to say. The hardest part was trying to keep it from getting to long and sounding too gushing, which I hope bodes well.

benetnash
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby benetnash » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:58 pm

In! Received the letter 02/05, west coast. Decision rendered 02/01. :)

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby tram988 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 pm

benetnash wrote:In! Received the letter 02/05, west coast. Decision rendered 02/01. :)

YESS! Congrats!! May I ask for your numbers?

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Question:

For those of you who check their status obsessively like me... how does the BC checker work?

Mine says I'm complete. Does it, at any time, go to Under Review?

Or does it go straight from complete to decision rendered?

Thanks.

User avatar
sirchristaylor
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: BC Law 2010

Postby sirchristaylor » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:20 pm

cherryalamode wrote:Question:

For those of you who check their status obsessively like me... how does the BC checker work?

Mine says I'm complete. Does it, at any time, go to Under Review?

Or does it go straight from complete to decision rendered?

Thanks.


It goes straight from complete to decision rendered in my experience.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, liuwenyu, proteinshake, sonyco, SweetTort and 20 guests