BC Law 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jamielynn1981

New

Re: BC Law 2010

Post by jamielynn1981 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:55 am

On average, how long did it take everyone to receive their password for the financial aid stuff? I received an email on the 5th saying they mailed me the info but still haven't received anything (I'm in NY). Anyone else wait this long?

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:14 am

lgreenbe wrote:Just got an email with scholly $$!!!!!!! $15,00/yr renewable over 3 years and no strings attached. YAY BC!
ahh congrats! hopefully this means $ is coming for the rest of us. with a big enough scholarship i'd so be there next year.

mlent

New

Post by mlent » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:24 am

jamielynn1981 wrote:On average, how long did it take everyone to receive their password for the financial aid stuff? I received an email on the 5th saying they mailed me the info but still haven't received anything (I'm in NY). Anyone else wait this long?
I called student services on Monday and they told me my password over the phone since I hadn't yet received the letter.

Letter came in the mail yesterday...postmarked March 03 from Brighton, MA....I live about 5 miles away, oh well.

I also got an email saying my finaid information had been posted to Agora, nothing up yet.

Lauren2255

New

Post by Lauren2255 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:37 am

As far as merit scholarships go for BC, I was expecting to get one because I have gotten them at schools at or above BC's level. So, I called them just to inquire and they asked me to disclose my scholarships from other schools (kind of weird). I sent them an email with my other scholarship offers and the next day, I received an email with a very generous offer.

So, moral of the story, if you are expecting to receive a merit scholarship from BC and have not already received one, you should probably call them. Perhaps they think that candidates at or above their medians have chosen other schools and thus, aren't offering as many scholarships. But I think if you show them that you are still interested, they will at least pull your file and perhaps offer you one. It's always worth a shot, especially if BC is still high up on your list.

mikcou

Bronze

Post by mikcou » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:51 am

Lauren2255 wrote:As far as merit scholarships go for BC, I was expecting to get one because I have gotten them at schools at or above BC's level. So, I called them just to inquire and they asked me to disclose my scholarships from other schools (kind of weird). I sent them an email with my other scholarship offers and the next day, I received an email with a very generous offer.

So, moral of the story, if you are expecting to receive a merit scholarship from BC and have not already received one, you should probably call them. Perhaps they think that candidates at or above their medians have chosen other schools and thus, aren't offering as many scholarships. But I think if you show them that you are still interested, they will at least pull your file and perhaps offer you one. It's always worth a shot, especially if BC is still high up on your list.
Did you mention that you had other offers or did they ask you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Does anyone know the COL of BC?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm

http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission ... ml#tuition

They estimate it to be $17,390, though you can definitely make it lower than that. They always push the numbers higher than they need to be.

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:00 pm

dakatz wrote:http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission ... ml#tuition

They estimate it to be $17,390, though you can definitely make it lower than that. They always push the numbers higher than they need to be.
Thanks, I was trying to find that page...

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Hey guys, what's the best way to get to campus from south station? bus, train, cab?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BC2010

New

Post by BC2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:26 pm

daniel5215 wrote:I'm international so I just got my Agora password mail today. I logged on and didn't see the finaid section. Is there anyone who can tell me how to view my finaid info? Thanks in advance.
Dan, assuming your Agora is the same as mine (im a UG)...

Click on the "My Services" tab toward the top
The bottom left box is "Financial Aid"
Click on the "Financial Aid Notification" link

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:29 pm

newyorker88 wrote:Hey guys, what's the best way to get to campus from south station? bus, train, cab?
I take the T, but a cab ride will obviously be quite a bit easier (and quite a bit more expensive). For the T, you would need to take the red line to Park Street, and switch to the "B" train of the green line. The B train goes all the way down to BC, which is the last stop. The law school is not on the main campus, but there is a shuttle bus that runs from the main campus to the Newton (law school) campus.

And just to be clear, if you are taking Amtrak, DO NOT go all the way to South Station. Get off at Back Bay, which is just a few minutes before South Station. From there, it is only one block to the Copley T stop, which is already on the "B" green line, and will definitely shorten the trip.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:25 pm

dakatz wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Hey guys, what's the best way to get to campus from south station? bus, train, cab?
I take the T, but a cab ride will obviously be quite a bit easier (and quite a bit more expensive). For the T, you would need to take the red line to Park Street, and switch to the "B" train of the green line. The B train goes all the way down to BC, which is the last stop. The law school is not on the main campus, but there is a shuttle bus that runs from the main campus to the Newton (law school) campus.

And just to be clear, if you are taking Amtrak, DO NOT go all the way to South Station. Get off at Back Bay, which is just a few minutes before South Station. From there, it is only one block to the Copley T stop, which is already on the "B" green line, and will definitely shorten the trip.
oh ok good to know. someone told me to do south station because that's where all the cabs would be but if back bay's easier i'll definitely try that.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:30 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

oh ok good to know. someone told me to do south station because that's where all the cabs would be but if back bay's easier i'll definitely try that.
Always a ton of cabs at Back Bay. Its right in the heart of Boston at Copley Square. If you are going by cab, it will definitely save you at least some cash to go from Back Bay instead of South Station.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hugtrees

New

Post by hugtrees » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Lauren2255 wrote:As far as merit scholarships go for BC, I was expecting to get one because I have gotten them at schools at or above BC's level. So, I called them just to inquire and they asked me to disclose my scholarships from other schools (kind of weird). I sent them an email with my other scholarship offers and the next day, I received an email with a very generous offer.

for what it's worth, i sent them an email today asking to be considered for merit aid since i hadn't heard anything yet (i am just below median gpa, but above 75th lsat) and got this response:

"Thank you for your email regarding merit based scholarships. Merit based scholarships are reviewed as an on-going process and if you were to be considered, you would be notified via email first. The Committee, in trying to help any eligible applicant makes an educated decision, will try to notify the applicant before April 15th, our first deposit date."

the waiting continues.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:50 pm

dakatz wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Always a ton of cabs at Back Bay. Its right in the heart of Boston at Copley Square. If you are going by cab, it will definitely save you at least some cash to go from Back Bay instead of South Station.
Thanks this is really helpful. Also is the greenline anywhere near South Station or Back Bay? b/c that's what i'm supposed to take to get to where i'll be staying.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:52 pm

hugtrees wrote:

for what it's worth, i sent them an email today asking to be considered for merit aid since i hadn't heard anything yet (i am just below median gpa, but above 75th lsat) and got this response:

"Thank you for your email regarding merit based scholarships. Merit based scholarships are reviewed as an on-going process and if you were to be considered, you would be notified via email first. The Committee, in trying to help any eligible applicant makes an educated decision, will try to notify the applicant before April 15th, our first deposit date."

Thats nice that they actually sent you a response. I sent them two emails weeks ago and they have yet to get back to me about anything.
the waiting continues.

BC2010

New

Post by BC2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:25 pm

hugtrees wrote: for what it's worth, i sent them an email today asking to be considered for merit aid since i hadn't heard anything yet (i am just below median gpa, but above 75th lsat) and got this response:

the waiting continues.
just about verbatim what they told me when I stopped by in person today...i'm glad they're going to try to get merit aid out before the first deposit date.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikcou

Bronze

Post by mikcou » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:28 pm

pmomnie wrote:
hugtrees wrote: for what it's worth, i sent them an email today asking to be considered for merit aid since i hadn't heard anything yet (i am just below median gpa, but above 75th lsat) and got this response:

the waiting continues.
just about verbatim what they told me when I stopped by in person today...i'm glad they're going to try to get merit aid out before the first deposit date.
What the hell. Thats ridiculous, just get the offers out.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Status checker juuuuust went decision rendered! Any idea on how long it takes to hear once you go DR? I live in North NJ if it helps.

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Re deposit deadline. Is that postmarked April 15th or does it have to be there by the 15th? In the letter is sounded more like the latter? Anyone have definite info on this?

I wrote BC an email about that but, surprise surprise, they haven't responded. Well, its only been 4 days and E-Mails are a very time consuming way to communicate so I guess I should be understanding.

Last word on merit aid, I feel like BC doesn't really understand the importance of (merit) aid for many applicants, especially those with good numbers. It seems like they give them out whenever they feel like it. The fact that only few people have gotten any on here and the large time lags in between kind of suggests that and it also suggests that apperently they don't have a list yet of people that will get any. If it were otherwise, what's the hold up?

daniel5215

Bronze

Post by daniel5215 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:54 pm

pmomnie wrote:
daniel5215 wrote:I'm international so I just got my Agora password mail today. I logged on and didn't see the finaid section. Is there anyone who can tell me how to view my finaid info? Thanks in advance.
Dan, assuming your Agora is the same as mine (im a UG)...

Click on the "My Services" tab toward the top
The bottom left box is "Financial Aid"
Click on the "Financial Aid Notification" link
I am sure that I don't have that box. Thanks anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 pm

I am lowly 0L and am very confused about aid, can someone help me out please???

note: They have made these awards based solely on FAFSA and have not looked at my Need Access form...

After filling out my FAFSA I got a total of 20,000 of federal aid per year. Is this a lot? The total cost is almost 60k a year so I thought I would be getting more. Is there need for worry?

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Post by Gymnast0206 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:37 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:I am lowly 0L and am very confused about aid, can someone help me out please???

note: They have made these awards based solely on FAFSA and have not looked at my Need Access form...

After filling out my FAFSA I got a total of 20,000 of federal aid per year. Is this a lot? The total cost is almost 60k a year so I thought I would be getting more. Is there need for worry?
As best I know, 20k is pretty much the limit for the FAFSA generated aid. You pretty much need a scholarship in order to receive what I would deem "a lot" of fin aid.

NewtonCampusKid

New

Post by NewtonCampusKid » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:08 am

Anyone make it to admitted students day?

googado

New

Post by googado » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:14 am

NewtonCampusKid wrote:Anyone make it to admitted students day?
Wondering the same.. How was it? I couldn't attend cuz I am too far away. Did they win u over?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”