BC Law 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Gold

Re: BC Law 2010

Post by Veritas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:57 pm

let's kill time:

BC v. BU

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Veritas wrote:let's kill time:

BC v. BU
Nice.

It's weird, because in terms of job placement, location, caliber, and all that, the two are very similar. But when it comes to admissions, they can be in complete disagreement over similar people. I would be thrilled to go to either one, honestly, but I can't figure out at which one I have a better chance.

Interesting note: a few of my friends went to BC (undergrad) and the Newton campus (where the law school is) is freshman housing, dining, and the law school :P

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:11 pm

I get a different vibe over the community at BC v BU, but they both seem like really close community. I think in the end I would choose BU, for the more Urban experience....

does that even make sense?

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm

FWIW, in terms of rankings I recently learned that BC used to be higher ranked, as recently as 2003. http://www.concurringopinions.com/archi ... data5.html
Last edited by Burger in a can on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:39 pm

my status says the same but i can get into admitted students site, am i in!?

;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:39 pm

Explain admitted students? how do you check

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:46 pm

tram988 wrote:Explain admitted students? how do you check
+1! I actually wish I could see a screenshot of this mystical creature known as "the admitted students site link" The link is on the status checker, right? Where is it? At the bottom?

(Oh, and P.S., you're probably in!!! At the risk of jinxing it, I will whisper congratulations!!!!!!!)

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Ha, I was joking. They have an admitted students section but there's no password or user name required to look at it.

EDIT: It's on the main site, not the checker.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:51 pm

haha ok I knew something funny was going on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:55 pm

goodolgil wrote:Ha, I was joking. They have an admitted students section but there's no password or user name required to look at it.

EDIT: It's on the main site, not the checker.
Nice. :D

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 pm

FWIW, I have a few friends at law schools in Boston (not BC or BU) and they said that among the people and lawyers they've talked to, BC has the better reputation in Boston....outside of Boston, I can't speak to, but within, it appears the edge goes to BC.

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:20 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:FWIW, I have a few friends at law schools in Boston (not BC or BU) and they said that among the people and lawyers they've talked to, BC has the better reputation in Boston....outside of Boston, I can't speak to, but within, it appears the edge goes to BC.
That's in line with what I've heard, too. Like Burger said, they've only recently switched rankings, and I think a good number of people are still holding onto that. Both are apparently pretty great for job placement, though.

killuminati

Bronze

Post by killuminati » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm picking BU over BC, local placement the edge goes to BC, but NATIONAL PLACEMENT especially in NY, DC and LA area is BU. They are more nationally recognized...I remember a poster had a very good fact sheet showing job placement of both schools at top firms, in the end BU placed about a hundred more students at the VAULT TOP40 firms, look it up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

killuminati

Bronze

Post by killuminati » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:25 pm

GobiasIndustries wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:FWIW, I have a few friends at law schools in Boston (not BC or BU) and they said that among the people and lawyers they've talked to, BC has the better reputation in Boston....outside of Boston, I can't speak to, but within, it appears the edge goes to BC.
That's in line with what I've heard, too. Like Burger said, they've only recently switched rankings, and I think a good number of people are still holding onto that. Both are apparently pretty great for job placement, though.

Check out OCI, that's not true, BU is better outside of Boston, BC is better in Boston even though it is located in Newton. BU is actually located in Boston...the heart of Boston which is very appealing. But ugly buildings, and BC has an awesome football program...if BC gives me a good scholly and BU doesn't then I guess BC...but all things equal...I want to come back to LA to work and BU gives me a better chance. Although both schools average income for students in the private sector is 160k...same as #4 Columbia and on...except WUSTL for some reason....at 107,825k a year...

killuminati

Bronze

Post by killuminati » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:28 pm

A lot of older attorney's though in the Boston area think BC's a better school and were surprised when they heard the rankings...but the middle aged attorneys are all familiar with BU's rise and they give the nod to BU...and the middle aged attorneys are the next generation of bosses...dude they are interchangeable...I'm happy with either or. But Matt Ryan blows.

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:36 pm

killuminati wrote:
GobiasIndustries wrote:

Check out OCI, that's not true, BU is better outside of Boston, BC is better in Boston even though it is located in Newton. BU is actually located in Boston...the heart of Boston which is very appealing. But ugly buildings, and BC has an awesome football program...if BC gives me a good scholly and BU doesn't then I guess BC...but all things equal...I want to come back to LA to work and BU gives me a better chance. Although both schools average income for students in the private sector is 160k...same as #4 Columbia and on...except WUSTL for some reason....at 107,825k a year...

That is not an average. It is a median, which is very different.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Mine changed too.

As a point of being whiny...its really irritating that all of us with jobs, don't live at home and have parents who travel a lot for work have to get it sent to the permanent addresses.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Wait, hold. Hoooold.

Any chance the address they list on the status checker is the one they consider to be permanent?

nashuatree

New

Post by nashuatree » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:46 pm

killuminati wrote:
GobiasIndustries wrote:

Where do you find info like that on average earnings? I know those figures won't really hold anymore in most cases, but still. I've always been curious and a lot of schools don't openly list those numbers.

killuminati

Bronze

Post by killuminati » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:
killuminati wrote:
GobiasIndustries wrote:

That is not an average. It is a median, which is very different.

Good point. Thanks. There's a bunch of BC v. BU law threads already on TLS, go under "which school should I choose" something like that, or google BC v. BU and people have done their homework on this. I love both...so it will come down to the money =).

Go to each schools profile on TLS, it says it under employment prospects for each school. BC and BU are both at 160k...MEDIAN =).

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Wait, hold. Hoooold.

Any chance the address they list on the status checker is the one they consider to be permanent?
That thought crossed my mind, too, but I know I listed my home address as the permament one, but they're showing my present/mailing address on the status checker. Seems weird to do that, but they probably won't send it there unless that's the only address you gave them :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:52 pm

A lot of you guys are complaining about it being mailed to the permanent address...

I e-mailed the admissions office last week and just asked politely if they could mail it to my temp address, and they happily agreed. Did you even try this?

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:55 pm

killuminati wrote:I'm picking BU over BC, local placement the edge goes to BC, but NATIONAL PLACEMENT especially in NY, DC and LA area is BU. They are more nationally recognized...I remember a poster had a very good fact sheet showing job placement of both schools at top firms, in the end BU placed about a hundred more students at the VAULT TOP40 firms, look it up.
+1 BU

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:56 pm

tesoro wrote:A lot of you guys are complaining about it being mailed to the permanent address...

I e-mailed the admissions office and just asked politely if they could mail it to my temp address, and they happily agreed. Did you even try this?
You're going to get in because you're the smartest one here.

Actually, the perm address is not a big deal for me. I'm living in Boston now and my parents live in CT. I'm going to visit them next week for Christmas, so they can let me know what it says this week (presumably) and then I can look it over next week (assuming there is something to look at besides a rejection letter).

nashuatree

New

Post by nashuatree » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:56 pm

tesoro wrote:A lot of you guys are complaining about it being mailed to the permanent address...

I e-mailed the admissions office last week and just asked politely if they could mail it to my temp address, and they happily agreed. Did you even try this?

[strike]Did you do this today or earlier? I'd imagine it's too late to do that now, right?[/strike]

Sorry. Missed the earlier part...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”