USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:53 pm

Slansky wrote:
StrawberryRed89 wrote:
Twix wrote:I'm working on finalizing my Rothman essay, but have yet to go "In Review," still complete as of 12/10 or so.

I know there was some talk of how to submit the Rothman applications (electronically vs. snail mail). How have you all been handling this?


I mailed mine in (Priority Mail + certified)...I thought the invitation said to mail it. Is anyone e-mailing it as well?


I only mailed mine. I'm pretty sure the invitation said to mail.

Told you you'd get UCLA, Slansky. I doubt you'll end up there though.

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Slansky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:21 am

crackberry wrote:
Slansky wrote:
StrawberryRed89 wrote:
Twix wrote:I'm working on finalizing my Rothman essay, but have yet to go "In Review," still complete as of 12/10 or so.

I know there was some talk of how to submit the Rothman applications (electronically vs. snail mail). How have you all been handling this?


I mailed mine in (Priority Mail + certified)...I thought the invitation said to mail it. Is anyone e-mailing it as well?


I only mailed mine. I'm pretty sure the invitation said to mail.

Told you you'd get UCLA, Slansky. I doubt you'll end up there though.


Well, it's sort of my top choice, but they offered me $0. If USC offered me a nice scholly it would make my life a lot better right now, haha.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:50 am

Slansky wrote:Well, it's sort of my top choice, but they offered me $0. If USC offered me a nice scholly it would make my life a lot better right now, haha.

Can I ask why you applied to schools like UVA, Duke and Georgetown but not schools like Michigan, Penn, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago and NYU (not to mention Harvard, Yale and Stanford)? If all you'd applied to were LA (or even California) schools, your school list would make more sense to me. The way it stands, you've got kind of a random assortment of schools.

With 170, 3.85, you'd be a near-lock at Michigan, Penn and NYU and you'd have a great shot at Berkeley and Chicago. Granted HYS and Columbia are reaches with your numbers, but by no means are they out of the question.

PM if you're more comfortable doing it that way.

deem
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby deem » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 am

Status checker changed to DF today. I went UR in mid-december and got a Rothman invitation. I'm really anxious/excited for the letter (which is hopefully an acceptance), especially after having been under review for what seemed like forever.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:22 am

deem wrote:Status checker changed to DF today. I went UR in mid-december and got a Rothman invitation. I'm really anxious/excited for the letter (which is [strike]hopefully[/strike]an acceptance), especially after having been under review for what seemed like forever.


Rothman invitations virtually always go to future admits. :D

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby billyez » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:22 am

It took a month and two weeks for me to go complete. Come on USC. What's going on?

deem
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby deem » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 am

(::knocking on wood::)

I'm hopeful, but still a little worried that I could end up the exception to the rule haha.

How long have letters generally taken to get to the east coast. 3-4 days? Thanks.

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Slansky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 am

crackberry wrote:
Slansky wrote:Well, it's sort of my top choice, but they offered me $0. If USC offered me a nice scholly it would make my life a lot better right now, haha.

Can I ask why you applied to schools like UVA, Duke and Georgetown but not schools like Michigan, Penn, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago and NYU (not to mention Harvard, Yale and Stanford)? If all you'd applied to were LA (or even California) schools, your school list would make more sense to me. The way it stands, you've got kind of a random assortment of schools.

With 170, 3.85, you'd be a near-lock at Michigan, Penn and NYU and you'd have a great shot at Berkeley and Chicago. Granted HYS and Columbia are reaches with your numbers, but by no means are they out of the question.

PM if you're more comfortable doing it that way.


Haha, yeah, I understand the confusion. I am only interested in going to school in SoCal. When my parents found out I'd only applied around here, they demanded that I apply to 5 schools outside of California. The number and the reasoning in general was totally arbitrary. They were just uncomfortable with me "putting all my eggs in one basket." I guess if some huge change happened in my life--somewhere on the order of armageddon--I may go to one of those schools. But really, I love SoCal, I want to practice here, and there are frankly quite a few good school choices nearby, so I feel no need to cast my net wider.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:55 am

Slansky wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Slansky wrote:Well, it's sort of my top choice, but they offered me $0. If USC offered me a nice scholly it would make my life a lot better right now, haha.

Can I ask why you applied to schools like UVA, Duke and Georgetown but not schools like Michigan, Penn, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago and NYU (not to mention Harvard, Yale and Stanford)? If all you'd applied to were LA (or even California) schools, your school list would make more sense to me. The way it stands, you've got kind of a random assortment of schools.

With 170, 3.85, you'd be a near-lock at Michigan, Penn and NYU and you'd have a great shot at Berkeley and Chicago. Granted HYS and Columbia are reaches with your numbers, but by no means are they out of the question.

PM if you're more comfortable doing it that way.


Haha, yeah, I understand the confusion. I am only interested in going to school in SoCal. When my parents found out I'd only applied around here, they demanded that I apply to 5 schools outside of California. The number and the reasoning in general was totally arbitrary. They were just uncomfortable with me "putting all my eggs in one basket." I guess if some huge change happened in my life--somewhere on the order of armageddon--I may go to one of those schools. But really, I love SoCal, I want to practice here, and there are frankly quite a few good school choices nearby, so I feel no need to cast my net wider.

I hear you. Every part of me wants to convince you to cast your net wider, maybe apply to Berkeley and Stanford if you really don't want to leave California. But I won't try; it's your life.

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Slansky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:33 am

crackberry wrote:
Slansky wrote:
crackberry wrote:Can I ask why you applied to schools like UVA, Duke and Georgetown but not schools like Michigan, Penn, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago and NYU (not to mention Harvard, Yale and Stanford)? If all you'd applied to were LA (or even California) schools, your school list would make more sense to me. The way it stands, you've got kind of a random assortment of schools.

With 170, 3.85, you'd be a near-lock at Michigan, Penn and NYU and you'd have a great shot at Berkeley and Chicago. Granted HYS and Columbia are reaches with your numbers, but by no means are they out of the question.

PM if you're more comfortable doing it that way.


Haha, yeah, I understand the confusion. I am only interested in going to school in SoCal. When my parents found out I'd only applied around here, they demanded that I apply to 5 schools outside of California. The number and the reasoning in general was totally arbitrary. They were just uncomfortable with me "putting all my eggs in one basket." I guess if some huge change happened in my life--somewhere on the order of armageddon--I may go to one of those schools. But really, I love SoCal, I want to practice here, and there are frankly quite a few good school choices nearby, so I feel no need to cast my net wider.

I hear you. Every part of me wants to convince you to cast your net wider, maybe apply to Berkeley and Stanford if you really don't want to leave California. But I won't try; it's your life.


I appreciate the urge, lol, and you are probably right that I should. I think one important factor is that I sort of don't belong on TLS--I don't care much about name recognition/prestige and I don't intend to end up in any kind of biglaw. I ended up here because I fit in with my numbers and there's a lot of good info for the higher end schools. But really, although UCLA/USC is what I'm aiming for, I would totally go to a place like Southwestern if they offered me a good deal and I liked the campus/programs (which I did when I toured last week).

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby TheWire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:43 am

this is how I'm looking at it...I am ALL about the west coast. BUT, that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy living in NYC for 3-6 yrs and then moving back...I feel like I'll be more prepared for the "real" world and life beyond the confines of sunny Cali

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:48 am

TheWire wrote:this is how I'm looking at it...I am ALL about the west coast. BUT, that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy living in NYC for 3-6 yrs and then moving back...I feel like I'll be more prepared for the "real" world and life beyond the confines of sunny Cali


Who's to say that sunny California isn't the real world and the East Coast isn't some sordid nightmare? :D

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby TheWire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:21 am

managamy wrote:
TheWire wrote:this is how I'm looking at it...I am ALL about the west coast. BUT, that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy living in NYC for 3-6 yrs and then moving back...I feel like I'll be more prepared for the "real" world and life beyond the confines of sunny Cali


Who's to say that sunny California isn't the real world and the East Coast isn't some sordid nightmare? :D


The real world requires diverse perspective...I suppose a sordid nightmare would shed even MoRe positive light on sunny California...that tone makes me feel like you would ultimately be staying in Cali if you were following the core man...I remember hearing you had a pretty good option up north.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:44 am

TheWire wrote:
managamy wrote:
TheWire wrote:this is how I'm looking at it...I am ALL about the west coast. BUT, that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy living in NYC for 3-6 yrs and then moving back...I feel like I'll be more prepared for the "real" world and life beyond the confines of sunny Cali


Who's to say that sunny California isn't the real world and the East Coast isn't some sordid nightmare? :D


The real world requires diverse perspective...I suppose a sordid nightmare would shed even MoRe positive light on sunny California...that tone makes me feel like you would ultimately be staying in Cali if you were following the core man...I remember hearing you had a pretty good option up north.


What "core?" I am indeed leaning toward staying on the Left coast though.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby TheWire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am

the "core": what's on the inside, the heart, how you really feel...

the name "Harvard" isn't that important...

...but Yale, on the other hand, would be different

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 am

TheWire wrote:the "core": what's on the inside, the heart, how you really feel...

the name "Harvard" isn't that important...

...but Yale, on the other hand, would be different


I understand now. It's hard to know how much weight to put on a name. Yale would be no different for me.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby TheWire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:10 am

managamy wrote:
TheWire wrote:the "core": what's on the inside, the heart, how you really feel...

the name "Harvard" isn't that important...

...but Yale, on the other hand, would be different


I understand now. It's hard to know how much weight to put on a name. Yale would be no different for me.


I'm sure they make it abundantly clear at their ASD just what the name Yale means.

User avatar
smacroon
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby smacroon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:17 am

deem wrote:Status checker changed to DF today. I went UR in mid-december and got a Rothman invitation. I'm really anxious/excited for the letter (which is hopefully an acceptance), especially after having been under review for what seemed like forever.


DF 1/19 as well and Rothman invite. IR 1/6. Fingers crossed :lol:

Aias
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:17 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Aias » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:10 pm

DF 1/20
I received a Rothman invite and have been UR since 12/15.

bethechange
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby bethechange » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:27 pm

DF 1/20 - AA URM...nervous wait and obsessive mailbox checking begins now :)

elevatorlove
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby elevatorlove » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:37 pm

I was IR 1/15...updated to IR 1/20 today. Anyone else?

tcam
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby tcam » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Still waiting for any sign from good ol' USC over here. Complete since 10/9.

168/3.81

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:53 pm

still IR 1/8 and nervous

User avatar
anniesaysrelax
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby anniesaysrelax » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Sent in my Rothman essay today. Not really expecting anything to come from it, but you can't get it if you don't try. I wrote it pretty hastily, but all I really want is for them to remember me when doling out the smaller scholarship offers. I like to think it can only help, unless I made some egregious error in the text. I think it would be best that I don't read it again just in case. That will only breed panic.

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Neelio » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Veritas wrote:still IR 1/8 and nervous


Same here... what are your stats again? (if you don't mind)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, SevenSeven77 and 10 guests