USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Re: USC 2010!

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:15 pm

madhatter01 wrote:Yup.. I guess they're being "strategic," but they might have to settle for applicants with LSATs much lower than 1 point below their median if they keep holding out.. or maybe they'll easily fill their class with 167+

finalaspects, your LSAT is very good for USC and I don't know why they would hold on to your application if there wasn't something compelling about it..

just 1 point above their median, but if they're trying to raise their LSAT then it might help. most splitters have been rejected though, and a few have been waitlisted but have a much higher GPA then i do.

i think they might have just misplaced my application... trying not to have any hope cause that will utterly crush me later... but i think USC is trying to respond to everyone by the end of this month.

hoyasaxon

Postby hoyasaxon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:18 pm

sorry for my lame attempt to try and alter the tenor of this thread; but can anyone give me a consensus on the 4/20 DF batch? urm-heavy? i heard there was a glut of graduate degrees? maybe some crazy softs? non-traditionals?

nyydjluver2

Postby nyydjluver2 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:20 pm

Do you guys think that it would do any good to send in an LOCI at this point if we are still complete/in review? I have a 166 and a 3.8. USC is my first choice, but I feel it slipping because of the fact that they probably haven't even taken a look at my file beyond the numbers, and I have some great softs. Disappointing.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:21 pm

hoyasaxon wrote:sorry for my lame attempt to try and alter the tenor of this thread; but can anyone give me a consensus on the 4/20 DF batch? urm-heavy? i heard there was a glut of graduate degrees? maybe some crazy softs? non-traditionals?

seems like a mix of people with softs, urm, and graduate degrees. but doesn't seem like they have the numbers to be on the auto-accept level.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:23 pm

nyydjluver2 wrote:Do you guys think that it would do any good to send in an LOCI at this point if we are still complete/in review? I have a 166 and a 3.8. USC is my first choice, but I feel it slipping because of the fact that they probably haven't even taken a look at my file beyond the numbers, and I have some great softs. Disappointing.

this is completely up to you. but what if they waitlist you, what will you send then? i personally don't send anything until i hear back my first response. that way my LOCI can actually be fresh and won't be rehash of what i wrote before.

theres a wall right at 166 and no one knows what will happen to this group. we'll find out soon though since USC said they'll try all decisions by end of this month, but guessing a lot will wait until their deposit deadline on May 1st so they get an idea of who will actually attend.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:24 pm

nyydjluver2 wrote:Do you guys think that it would do any good to send in an LOCI at this point if we are still complete/in review? I have a 166 and a 3.8. USC is my first choice, but I feel it slipping because of the fact that they probably haven't even taken a look at my file beyond the numbers, and I have some great softs. Disappointing.
I'll save you a glance back through the thread: From what other folks have said, it appears they don't appreciate being reminded how slow they are.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:25 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
I'll save you a glance back through the thread: From what other folks have said, it appears they don't appreciate being reminded how slow they are.

+1 I sent them an email to get an update on my file and received a pretty curt response.

hoyasaxon

Postby hoyasaxon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:26 pm

finalaspects,

this anti-electron forcefield wall at 166 is what worries me about the 4/20 batch, even if it does seem urm/graduate degree heavy.
my name is not seantrel henderson or dillon baxter or kyle prater or................., so i am fully expecting the ding.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:28 pm

hoyasaxon wrote:finalaspects,

this anti-electron forcefield wall at 166 is what worries me about the 4/20 batch, even if it does seem urm/graduate degree heavy.
my name is not seantrel henderson or dillon baxter or kyle prater or................., so i am fully expecting the ding.

whats your stats? you never know... so wait until the letter comes.

assuming you have 166 then? what about your GPA? they don't seem to be rejected 166 and high GPA people just wait. just keeping them waiting.

madhatter01

Postby madhatter01 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:37 pm

finalaspects wrote:
madhatter01 wrote:Yup.. I guess they're being "strategic," but they might have to settle for applicants with LSATs much lower than 1 point below their median if they keep holding out.. or maybe they'll easily fill their class with 167+

finalaspects, your LSAT is very good for USC and I don't know why they would hold on to your application if there wasn't something compelling about it..

just 1 point above their median, but if they're trying to raise their LSAT then it might help. most splitters have been rejected though, and a few have been waitlisted but have a much higher GPA then i do.

i think they might have just misplaced my application... trying not to have any hope cause that will utterly crush me later... but i think USC is trying to respond to everyone by the end of this month.

geez, I hope they're not that disorganized.. Is USC your top choice?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:00 pm

madhatter01 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

geez, I hope they're not that disorganized.. Is USC your top choice?

yes i will pay the full price to attend there. and would withdraw from ALL other schools in the same minute i get accepted.

jdomash

Postby jdomash » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 pm

So...I've been complete since 1/28. No change since then. Any idea when they plan on getting to all the apps they received?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:07 pm

jdomash wrote:So...I've been complete since 1/28. No change since then. Any idea when they plan on getting to all the apps they received?

what are your stats? 1/28 is pretty late in the cycle though.

i predict good GPA but under 167?

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Philosoraptor, you come in and out of my life for such brief shining moments, I haven't seen you post since we were talking about List in the Emory thread, I see you are going to UT, grats!

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Philosoraptor, you come in and out of my life for such brief shining moments, I haven't seen you post since we were talking about Liszt in the Emory thread, I see you are going to UT, grats!
Lol, thanks. I've been trying to confine myself mostly to the Texas thread, since talking about USC or Cornell just stresses me out. Not to disrupt this thread too much, but do you know where you're going yet?

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:34 pm

PM'ed you.

sw10

Postby sw10 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm

finalaspects wrote:
sw10 wrote:
I'm in the same position. I've been complete for 3 months and I don't know why they haven't rejected me yet haha. I'm at the bottom of their range in GPA but my lsat is several points below their bottom.

so both numbers are below median? you said lower range in GPA and several points below their 167 median LSAT? and are you URM? cause then it would be a surprise at all.

Yeah, my gpa is only slightly below but my lsat is pretty far below. I think I'm URM, I'm half Cuban. I also went there undergrad though and they say it's even harder for us to get in.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:20 pm

sw10 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
sw10 wrote:
I'm in the same position. I've been complete for 3 months and I don't know why they haven't rejected me yet haha. I'm at the bottom of their range in GPA but my lsat is several points below their bottom.

so both numbers are below median? you said lower range in GPA and several points below their 167 median LSAT? and are you URM? cause then it would be a surprise at all.

Yeah, my gpa is only slightly below but my lsat is pretty far below. I think I'm URM, I'm half Cuban. I also went there undergrad though and they say it's even harder for us to get in.

have you been under review yet? maybe they haven't looked at it yet...

i've been under review twice and still no rejection yet.... im still not convinced this is a good sign. maybe i'll be part of the huge wave of rejections in the end of the cycle.

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:21 pm

sw10 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
sw10 wrote:

Who said that? :(

LizBennet

Postby LizBennet » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm

sw10 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
sw10 wrote:

I definitely wouldn't consider it "harder" to get accepted as an alumnus from the undergrad school. 10% of their incoming class is from USC undergrad.

sw10

Postby sw10 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:41 pm

It was word around school and alumni mostly, but one girl claimed to have heard it from a law school admissions officer, but who knows. 10% is pretty low isn't it? The other schools I'm looking at seem to have a lot more of their own undergrad. It's not impossible, but I can definitely believe it's harder for us.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

fact: last year the last acceptance was on April 10th. Rest were rejections. (there were waitlist -> acceptances but im only talking about the first decision)

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 pm

I went to 'SC for undergrad and have yet to hear a peep from them. What happened to the Trojan family taking care of their own?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:45 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:I went to 'SC for undergrad and have yet to hear a peep from them. What happened to the Trojan family taking care of their own?

i always thought schools hated taking their undergrads for grad school. something about academic incest? maybe it only applies to other fields? or am i completely off and its about hiring as a professor someone from that school.

NerdmoD

Postby NerdmoD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:49 pm

finalaspects wrote:fact: last year the last acceptance was on April 10th. Rest were rejections. (there were waitlist -> acceptances but im only talking about the first decision)

Well, we know that they are behind that date this year (4/15 DF-ers), and if you've talked to them this week, they sound like they have been insanely busy these last few weeks (Law Day, scholarship deadlines, etc.), but who knows. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all for one more round! :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”