USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smacroon

Re: USC 2010!

Postby smacroon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:34 am

empire84 wrote:im still IR 3/19. anyone care to venture why? any chance theyre waiting on the seat deposit deadline to see if they have room for me?

when is the 1st seat deposit deadline?

May 1. I would think they would start to see some people deciding sooner tho since most schools were April 15.

newyorklaw23

Postby newyorklaw23 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 pm

D/F 4/14 and Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was scared to check this thread after i went DF (b/c of that last round of rejections). The package arrived today in the mail!

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:09 pm

newyorklaw23 wrote:D/F 4/14 and Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was scared to check this thread after i went DF (b/c of that last round of rejections). The package arrived today in the mail!

Congrats, I'm JEALOUS :)

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:34 pm

accepted my scholly offer yesterday via e-mail

good luck to those still waiting!!

ek319

Postby ek319 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:13 pm

I know WLs have been discussed extensively, so sorry if this is a repeat...

I've heard that, at least in past years, USC tends to maintain a relatively small waitlist. Anyone know if this is still the case?

After applying in late January (3.5/168), apparently I was WL 3/16. My gripe with the whole thing is that they never once notified me about, well, anything! No email/letter about the status checker nor my waitlisting. I discovered the status check (and, in turn, my decision) by pure coincidence! I understand that emails & letters may sometimes get lost, but for BOTH to have disappeared by some blip in the mail universe...?

My ranting & raving aside, is it worth trying to make an appointment and/or visiting campus to improve my chances of moving off the WL? (I'm from the Bay Area, so a trip would be no quick afternoon jaunt.) How about LOCIs? Generally speaking, what DO you put in an LOCI?

None of my stats are going to budge, and I've got suppose I've got some other work experience, but at the time of application, I'd already held at least 10 pretty interesting jobs/internships...

I wouldn't necessarily be heartbroken were I not ultimately admitted, but at this point I just want to keep my options open.

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:40 am

Stupendous_Man wrote:
foxyeconomist wrote:Anyone going to Law Day tomorrow? I get into to LAX at 7:25am and depart at 6:55pm. I rented a Geo Metro (or equally lame car) if anyone wants to carpool with me. (I know, carpooling is very un-LA.)

mroberts and I are in LA right now, see you there! Anyone else in LA pm me if you want to meet up otherwise I'll see you tomorrow.

Ah, so there were fellow compatriots there. Why didn't I bother reading this thread before I left on Friday morning?

DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T

Postby DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:53 pm

IR since 2/16

still waiting.....

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Yeah, its weird to think that there were other TLSers at law day that passed like ships in the night. (poetic, right?) Well, if you decide to go, then I'll see you in August since I've put down my deposit already.

Also, we need to get more people posting in the USC class of 2013 thread.

foxyeconomist

Postby foxyeconomist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:03 pm

What'd you guys think of Law Day? I'd also be interested in UCLA vs. USC for people who went to the UCLA ASD on Saturday?

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Still waiting . Complete since 1/14. --ImageRemoved--

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:35 pm

I did not attend UCLA's ASD--because I'm not an admitted student (yet?)--but I did attend USC's Law Day on Friday.

Enlightening but awkward. The professors were relatively fun, and the presenting 2Ls and 3Ls relieved a good deal of my anxiety about what to expect as a 1L and about law school in general; however, I still felt a bit uneasy. I can't put my finger on why. It could have been the "new" environment. It could have been whispers of unpleasant memories from my one year of USC undergrad. It could have been my future classmates, more than a few of which seemed like somewhat passive-aggressive Type As (a bizarre combination).

But I suppose they could have judged me similarly. I'm sure they were nervous, just as I was. It would't surprise me if we all had defense mechanisms in place that might not be in use by the time December rolls around. For all I know, I could have an unconscious defense mechanism that ascribes those labels to strangers without justification. I wish I knew. Regardless of what felt out of place--either in my head or in reality--the meat and potatoes of Law Day were practical and useful.

I had been running a sleep deficit all week--and I'd all but made my decision to attend in the Fall--so I ducked out after lunch and went home to crush some much-needed slumber. I am glad that I stayed for lunch. Town and Gown's quality of food was the biggest surprise of the day. They served a chocolate mouse (derivative?) that was remarkably good.

It's unlikely that any TLSer failed to notice me. I was likely the largest individual present by at least 50 lbs.

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:42 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:What'd you guys think of Law Day? I'd also be interested in UCLA vs. USC for people who went to the UCLA ASD on Saturday?

USC >>>> UCLA

The event organizers for the UCLA ASD screwed up, failed to close the event out with a reception with booze where we could mingle with current students and the low-down. Instead, it ended with a very boring Q&A with administrators. The first UCLA ASD was organized much better.

The USC event was eye-opening and informative. Great mock class, good clinic panels, current students seemed happy, etc. I have various personal reasons to pass on USC (will be withdrawing) but the ASD nearly vaulted them to #2 on my list behind Michigan.

foxyeconomist

Postby foxyeconomist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:47 pm

existenz wrote:
foxyeconomist wrote:What'd you guys think of Law Day? I'd also be interested in UCLA vs. USC for people who went to the UCLA ASD on Saturday?

USC >>>> UCLA

The event organizers for the UCLA ASD screwed up, failed to close the event out with a reception with booze where we could mingle with current students and the low-down. Instead, it ended with a very boring Q&A with administrators. The first UCLA ASD was organized much better.

The USC event was eye-opening and informative. Great mock class, good clinic panels, current students seemed happy, etc. I have various personal reasons to pass on USC (will be withdrawing) but the ASD nearly vaulted them to #2 on my list behind Michigan.

Did you go to the criminal law or property law class?

foxyeconomist

Postby foxyeconomist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:53 pm

bigchris1313 wrote:They served a chocolate mouse (derivative?) that was remarkably good.

It's unlikely that any TLSer failed to notice me. I was likely the largest individual present by at least 50 lbs.

I didn't notice, so maybe that's just your insecurity. I was the one who didn't dress business casual since I was getting up at 4am to fly to LAX and flying out at 7pm. I'm not sure there is any point in dressing up if all your clothes are going to be wrinkled by sitting on a plane/in traffic for 3 hours, so I ignored that request. (I don't know if I can handle the superficiality of LA.)

Mouse?

GoNU

Postby GoNU » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Can some1 who currently goes to USC Law please give a list of the best places to live OFF CAMPUS..

Do people live in pasadena, culver city, or west hollywood? Mainly interested in living off campus..dont mind the commute..but dont want to be isolated! Where do most of the students live assuming you arent going the terrace-college dorm route. Any info much appreciated!

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:12 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:
bigchris1313 wrote:They served a chocolate mouse (derivative?) that was remarkably good.

I didn't notice, so maybe that's just your insecurity.

Haha. Mouse indeed. The juxtaposition of my description of the chocolate mousse with the description of my stature was coincidental. Lunch was last on my chronology, and I wanted to conclude my run-down with a note regarding how one would pick me out of a lineup.* In retrospect, misconstruing the combination of the two as insecurity seems terribly obvious.

*Perhaps I failed to give sufficient description: white male in mid-20s with wavy blonde hair, 6'1" 274 lbs.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:14 pm

May 1st doesn't seem to come fast enough, so USC will know who's attending and who's not. :(

applied in Oct... sigh

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:17 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:I was the one who didn't dress business casual since I was getting up at 4am to fly to LAX and flying out at 7pm. I'm not sure there is any point in dressing up if all your clothes are going to be wrinkled by sitting on a plane/in traffic for 3 hours, so I ignored that request.

Request? I searched high and low for a dress code in both email and paper documents, and found nothing. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough?

Hmm. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't notice any females whose clothing seemed out of place. I wore jeans myself.

madhatter01

Postby madhatter01 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:24 pm

finalaspects wrote:May 1st doesn't seem to come fast enough, so USC will know who's attending and who's not. :(

applied in Oct... sigh

Same here.. I noticed on LSN that USC started accepting WLs in May, but we haven't even received an initial decision yet! Wonder what that means.

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:27 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:Did you go to the criminal law or property law class?

Criminal law. Fantastic.

foxyeconomist wrote:(I don't know if I can handle the superficiality of LA.)

LA is really not that superficial. They didn't want people looking like scrubs at the ASD, but I went in a t-shirt and it was fine. Whatever style you prefer, you'd fit right in in L.A.

GoNU wrote:Can some1 who currently goes to USC Law please give a list of the best places to live OFF CAMPUS..

Do people live in pasadena, culver city, or west hollywood? Mainly interested in living off campus..dont mind the commute..but dont want to be isolated! Where do most of the students live assuming you arent going the terrace-college dorm route. Any info much appreciated!

Pasadena and Culver City are pretty far and, in my opinion, too quiet and boring. West Hollywood is best if you are LGBT or into expensive clubs and high rent. Most law students live in lofts and apartments in downtown L.A. simply because it's close to campus and has some activity going on (Staples Center, LA Live, bars, etc).

If you want a S.F. vibe then find a place in Silverlake. If you want convenience, the neighborhoods just north of campus are great. If you want to be in an active area for 20-somethings, then Hollywood proper (near Highland/Sunset or Sunset/Vine).

I would personally find a place as close to campus as possible, but no more than a 15 minute drive in traffic. Don't subject yourself to a long commute every day during law school, that would drain the life out of you.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:29 pm

bigchris1313 wrote:I did not attend UCLA's ASD--because I'm not an admitted student (yet?)--but I did attend USC's Law Day on Friday.

Enlightening but awkward. The professors were relatively fun, and the presenting 2Ls and 3Ls relieved a good deal of my anxiety about what to expect as a 1L and about law school in general; however, I still felt a bit uneasy. I can't put my finger on why. It could have been the "new" environment. It could have been whispers of unpleasant memories from my one year of USC undergrad. It could have been my future classmates, more than a few of which seemed like somewhat passive-aggressive Type As (a bizarre combination).

But I suppose they could have judged me similarly. I'm sure they were nervous, just as I was. It would't surprise me if we all had defense mechanisms in place that might not be in use by the time December rolls around. For all I know, I could have an unconscious defense mechanism that ascribes those labels to strangers without justification. I wish I knew. Regardless of what felt out of place--either in my head or in reality--the meat and potatoes of Law Day were practical and useful.

I had been running a sleep deficit all week--and I'd all but made my decision to attend in the Fall--so I ducked out after lunch and went home to crush some much-needed slumber. I am glad that I stayed for lunch. Town and Gown's quality of food was the biggest surprise of the day. They served a chocolate mouse (derivative?) that was remarkably good.

I thought everyone was really nice. I'm sure we were all a little nervous, so maybe you're right about how you sized people up. I definitely did not notice the Type A thing though. Also, it seemed like once people got to know some other students they mainly stuck together (I know I did). I mean, there are 200 other people that you don't know -- do you walk over to the 3 people you met before or the group of 5 that are talking but none of whom you have been introduced to?

I was in the criminal law class that was extremely interesting. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the other students' comments. From TLS I was expecting gunner central, but most of the comments were perfectly reasonable. Even the ones that ended up being "wrong" weren't gunnerish.

Foxy, I also felt under dressed in jeans and a button down. Nobody seemed to care, but most other people were more dressed up. People on TLS (threads other than USC's) made it sound like you didn't want to be "that guy" that got all dressed up. Guess future USC students just like to look sharp!

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:Guess future USC students just like to look sharp!

And yet once they arrive, I am under the distinct impression that this desire to look presentable flies out the window.

I suppose we'll see. The 2Ls I spoke to described the dress code as pretty darn casual.
Last edited by bigchris1313 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:34 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

back in review today.

complete in November. IR 1/22. IR 4/19. Here we go. finally. it's about to end.

by the way: it's a reach by the numbers if you're curious.
Last edited by unknownscholar on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxyeconomist

Postby foxyeconomist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:36 pm

bigchris1313 wrote:
foxyeconomist wrote:

I didn't notice, so maybe that's just your insecurity.

Haha. Mouse indeed. The juxtaposition of my description of the chocolate mousse with the description of my stature was coincidental. Lunch was last on my chronology, and I wanted to conclude my run-down with a note regarding how one would pick me out of a lineup.* In retrospect, misconstruing the combination of the two as insecurity seems terribly obvious.

*Perhaps I failed to give sufficient description: white male in mid-20s with wavy blonde hair, 6'1" 274 lbs.

Often people have a trait about which they are insecure - for me it's my teeth - and they assume that others hone in on that. I have a friend who was previously very overweight and always noticed when she was the heaviest person in the room. In reality, no one else paid attention to that. Just like no one notices that my teeth aren't straight until I point it out to them.

I believe the dress code was in the email confirmation.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:45 pm

madhatter01 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:May 1st doesn't seem to come fast enough, so USC will know who's attending and who's not. :(

applied in Oct... sigh

Same here.. I noticed on LSN that USC started accepting WLs in May, but we haven't even received an initial decision yet! Wonder what that means.

i wish i knew what it meant.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”