USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jonnodotsg

Re: USC 2010!

Postby jonnodotsg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:17 am

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:35 am

Just a friendly reminder...scholarship acceptance letters (non binding) are due by April 15. Just sent mine via email :)

NerdmoD

Postby NerdmoD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one big final swath of acceptances at or around the April 15th scholarship deadline... :)

newyorklaw23

Postby newyorklaw23 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 pm

NerdmoD wrote:I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one big final swath of acceptances at or around the April 15th scholarship deadline... :)

+1

I've been in review 12 weeks! haha

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:06 pm

First off, I'd like to thank USC for getting me to IR as of today. I don't have an icicles chance in hell of being admitted, but it is refreshing to see a school actually fucking doing something. They probably get 3-6 times the apps most of the other schools I have a reasonable chance at admittance, yet keep plugging away at a REASONABLE pace. This is a fine program, and for their expediency, I am eternally grateful. I will wear my rejection as a badge of honor.

I really mean this!! :D

soccersmo

Postby soccersmo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:26 pm

queenofhearts wrote:how many of you are still IR 3/16 or earlier? this is getting to be ridiculous...

I was IR on 2/19 then I went IR again 3/16

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:28 pm

soccersmo wrote:
queenofhearts wrote:how many of you are still IR 3/16 or earlier? this is getting to be ridiculous...

whoa. i have two IR's as well but way before your dates. wonder what makes us special....

did you give them new info? letter, transcripts, new lsat?

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:29 pm

I've been IR since 3/16
Applied mid-November

soccersmo

Postby soccersmo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:41 pm

finalaspects wrote:
soccersmo wrote:

whoa. i have two IR's as well but way before your dates. wonder what makes us special....

nope I did nothing!! haha did you?? I saw the date change and freaked out, only to realize it was just another IR...

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:57 pm

soccersmo wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
soccersmo wrote:

nope I did nothing!! haha did you?? I saw the date change and freaked out, only to realize it was just another IR...

not really... they reviewed us twice and couldn't make a decision though? not sure if thats a good or a bad thing. but im a splitter and most splitters already got rejected (people with better stats than mine)....

SaraLA

Postby SaraLA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:First off, I'd like to thank USC for getting me to IR as of today. I don't have an icicles chance in hell of being admitted, but it is refreshing to see a school actually fucking doing something. They probably get 3-6 times the apps most of the other schools I have a reasonable chance at admittance, yet keep plugging away at a REASONABLE pace. This is a fine program, and for their expediency, I am eternally grateful. I will wear my rejection as a badge of honor.

I really mean this!! :D

Haha. At least you are in review now! I am still just in a lowly state of completeness, with no final direction. How sad. I actually think they might have just laughed and thrown out my application :)

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:23 am

everyone, please help me with this

i am currently abroad therefore unable to check my mail- how do I find out what kind of scholarship offer i will be getting from USC? Is it somewhere on the admitted student portal when i log in? How do I accept the offer?

THANKS!

Stupendous_Man

Postby Stupendous_Man » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:40 am

SanBun wrote:everyone, please help me with this

i am currently abroad therefore unable to check my mail- how do I find out what kind of scholarship offer i will be getting from USC? Is it somewhere on the admitted student portal when i log in? How do I accept the offer?

THANKS!

Can you call the admissions office and explain your situation? They might know what to do. From what I know, they only release info via mail, so if you dont have someone checking your mail for you while you're gone, you'll want to contact them quick. Good luck!

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:26 am

SanBun wrote:everyone, please help me with this

THANKS!

Definitely call or email them asap. Scholarship offers must be accepted by April 15 (not binding until May 1). The offers can be accepted by email so just make sure you are in touch with them in the next couple of days. They have no yet sent out full fin aid packages, just merit schols. Good Luck!

DOOM

Postby DOOM » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:04 pm

What does the scholarship acceptance deadline on the 15th mean exactly? Do people with scholarship offers need to commit to USC by then? Does it require them to make a seat deposit?

(I'm on the waitlist, so just seeing if there is any hope for movement after Thursday)

thanks guys.

Edit: also what does the binding on May 1st part mean? Scholarships will not be honored to those who dont commit by then? How is that different than the April 15th deadline.

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 pm

DOOM wrote:What does the scholarship acceptance deadline on the 15th mean exactly? Do people with scholarship offers need to commit to USC by then? Does it require them to make a seat deposit?

(I'm on the waitlist, so just seeing if there is any hope for movement after Thursday)

thanks guys.

Edit: also what does the binding on May 1st part mean? Scholarships will not be honored to those who dont commit by then? How is that different than the April 15th deadline.

On the 15th students with schol offers have to write a letter stating that they accept the scholarship or else it is given to another student. There is no penalty, however, if the student accepts the schol and then decides not to put in the deposit on May 1. On May 1 all students must submit a deposit and a student with a schol will lose it if they have put in a deposit at more than one school (making it binding, schools check this through an LSAC program). I am not sure how the April 15 deadline will affect the WL although it will definitely free up some money from those that know they are commiting to another school and may indicate to adcom that those students who did not confirm will not attend. Hope that is helpful, good luck! :D

Aias

Postby Aias » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:20 pm

If I accept my scholarship offer can I still ride out WLs?

david?

Postby david? » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:21 pm

I have a question for any current/former 1L's...I currently live in the Valencia/Santa Clarita (Six Flags) area. I have been looking for apartments in the glendale and burbank area but I can get so much more for less in the Santa Clarita area. I am wondering if I would be totally nuts to even consider living out there...I lived out here for my UG which I did at USC and the commute was a bitch but I was able to make it work...if I do live out there I would probably take the Metrolink

What is the 1L schedule like? From what I understand some start early and are done early in the afternoon and others start later in the morning and are done around 5ish... is that correct or is it 9-5 for pretty much all students Monday thru Friday?

Thoughts?

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Aias wrote:If I accept my scholarship offer can I still ride out WLs?

As far as I can tell yes since it says "you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you have been admitted" and it is the LSAC Deposit Overlap program which would not seem to include WLs. Has anyone asked....

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:48 pm

OH MY GOD!!!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

After being simply complete since October 14th, I, nyskidude, have finally gone into review at USC. Congratulations, USC. You succeeded in not keeping me waiting for 6 months. Only 5 months and 30 days. Bravo.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:12 pm

nyskidude wrote:OH MY GOD!!!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

After being simply complete since October 14th, I, nyskidude, have finally gone into review at USC. Congratulations, USC. You succeeded in not keeping me waiting for 6 months. Only 5 months and 30 days. Bravo.
Nice. Hopefully that means I'll go IR next Wednesday.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:18 pm

If I haven't received scholarship information yet does that mean I'm not getting one?

kevdadude

Postby kevdadude » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:52 pm

When I visited the school the other day for the Admit Day, they mentioned that if you haven't received any scholarship offers from the school yet, you still might get one after April 15, but they didn't sound optimistic. April 15 is the deposit deadline for those who were extended scholarship offers earlier.

Stupendous_Man

Postby Stupendous_Man » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:20 am

smacroon wrote:
DOOM wrote:What does the scholarship acceptance deadline on the 15th mean exactly? Do people with scholarship offers need to commit to USC by then? Does it require them to make a seat deposit?

thanks guys.

On the 15th students with schol offers have to write a letter stating that they accept the scholarship or else it is given to another student. There is no penalty, however, if the student accepts the schol and then decides not to put in the deposit on May 1. On May 1 all students must submit a deposit and a student with a schol will lose it if they have put in a deposit at more than one school (making it binding, schools check this through an LSAC program). I am not sure how the April 15 deadline will affect the WL although it will definitely free up some money from those that know they are commiting to another school and may indicate to adcom that those students who did not confirm will not attend. Hope that is helpful, good luck! :D

So do you think this means that we can have double deposits down until May 1st? Like, if I have a deposit down at a school, but withdraw it before May 1st will I keep my scholarship that I accepted by April 15th?

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 am

Stupendous_Man wrote:
smacroon wrote:

thanks guys.

So do you think this means that we can have double deposits down until May 1st? Like, if I have a deposit down at a school, but withdraw it before May 1st will I keep my scholarship that I accepted by April 15th?

Good question.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”