USC 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Gold

Re: USC 2010!

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:30 am

nyskidude wrote: Still at complete 10/14. Kind of on the ridiculous side of the line, I would say... 6 month anniversary will be coming up next Wednesday!
wow i really think you should call them....

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:27 pm

finalaspects wrote:
nyskidude wrote: Still at complete 10/14. Kind of on the ridiculous side of the line, I would say... 6 month anniversary will be coming up next Wednesday!
wow i really think you should call them....
I actually e-mailed them asking them about why I haven't even gone into review yet... Here is the response I got:

Thank you for your continued interest in USC. While we wish we could tell you when we might have a decision, unfortunately we can't. Making a decision on a file depends upon many things; the competitiveness of an applicant, the application volume, the competitiveness of the pool, and the number of readers reading files at any given time. We do try to get out most of our offers of admission out by around April 1 and all decisions out by May 1.

Sorry we couldn't be more definitive with a date

Regards,

Office of Admissions
So yeah, I'm not expecting much better with a call.

EDIT: Just so you know, here was the e-mail I sent them:

I applied to USC Law School back in October and was complete on 10/14. However, my status checker has shown that there has been no movement since that time. I was wondering about this because I saw that, on your website, you say that you try to get applicants through the application process in about 8-12 weeks (after the application is complete). I am very interested in USC, but the time is approaching where I have to send in deposits elsewhere in order to keep scholarship offers. Since it has been over 5 months since my application has been complete, I just wanted to make sure that everything was okay and that there was nothing else I needed to do for my application to go into review. Thank you!

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:49 pm

so that email sounds like after april 1, don't expect an admit ticket.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:51 pm

unknownscholar wrote:so that email sounds like after april 1, don't expect an admit ticket.
at least we'll know by may apparently. but they have been sending out rejections this entire time, so why are they still holding us up? i don't want false hope but yea...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:09 pm

It's kind of ridiculous they expect everyone to wait this long, especially someone from October. I say email them and tell them you paid for a decision but didn't receive one by the date stated on their website/by the time it was clearly understood you needed a decision by and so you'd like to have your fee refunded as they never performed the service the fee was for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:13 pm

sibley wrote:It's kind of ridiculous they expect everyone to wait this long, especially someone from October. I say email them and tell them you paid for a decision but didn't receive one by the date stated on their website/by the time it was clearly understood you needed a decision by and so you'd like to have your fee refunded as they never performed the service the fee was for.
i've called them before too. all they did was tell me to wait. they didn't ask me for my information to actually check anything though and said just to go by the status checker. i wish i was put in a batch already regardless of the outcome.

rputt3256

New

Post by rputt3256 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Just withdrew...hope this helps someone!

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:24 pm

sibley wrote:It's kind of ridiculous they expect everyone to wait this long, especially someone from October. I say email them and tell them you paid for a decision but didn't receive one by the date stated on their website/by the time it was clearly understood you needed a decision by and so you'd like to have your fee refunded as they never performed the service the fee was for.
I wouldn't do that...even if a rejection seems imminent. If there is even a chance that they are conflicted about your app, pushing them over the wrong side of the fence seems careless. For those of IR , this would be an especially bad idea.

I had a fee waiver anyhow. So I've gotten my 12 bucks worth. lol maybe theyre giving me the 12 buck treatment. kinda like being seated next to the kitchen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:28 pm

unknownscholar wrote:
I wouldn't do that...even if a rejection seems imminent. If there is even a chance that they are conflicted about your app, pushing them over the wrong side of the fence seems careless. For those of IR , this would be an especially bad idea.

I had a fee waiver anyhow. So I've gotten my 12 bucks worth. lol maybe theyre giving me the 12 buck treatment. kinda like being seated next to the kitchen. :lol: :lol: :lol:
i paid everything in full! i deserve a response. but i'll wait until may 1st like they said.... though i bet they'll wait to see who deposits (week or two) then send out everything else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:39 pm

in all seriousness, you'll definitely get your response, it's just not guaranteed what that decision will be.

I definitely don't think they're just sitting around saying, hey let them wait until we feel like rendering a ding. fwiw, I think they recognize that offering an admission this late in the cycle is likely to result in an immediate seat deposit return. It seems reasonable that they could or should be waiting for more deposits to return before they send out anymore.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:57 pm

unknownscholar wrote:in all seriousness, you'll definitely get your response, it's just not guaranteed what that decision will be.

I definitely don't think they're just sitting around saying, hey let them wait until we feel like rendering a ding. fwiw, I think they recognize that offering an admission this late in the cycle is likely to result in an immediate seat deposit return. It seems reasonable that they could or should be waiting for more deposits to return before they send out anymore.
you mean to see if the deposits don't return? if they get a lot of deposits they will be full so they cannot accept more?

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Yea, anything definite. A seat deposit or withdrawal. Gives them a better idea what their class looks like.

I'm not sure that people immediately lose their spots if they don't send it in on time (i.e. dont provide anything definite to the school). Especially someone with great numbers and is on the fence about where to attend. So a seat deposit or withdrawal would be a better indication of the makeup of the class.

Speluncean X

New

Post by Speluncean X » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:29 pm

For those still waiting (like me), here is something to consider:

I have a below-median LSAT (the dreaded 166).
I have a well below-median LSDAS GPA (but a 4.0 in this decade).
My application went "complete" on 11/12.
My status went "in review" on 3/17.
There have been countless numerically superior candidates who completed their applications long after mine and yet received their [unfortunate] decisons already.
Yet here I am...waiting.

This leads me to believing that 1 of the following (3) explanations is true:

1) USC is being lazy about decisions, and the process of 'which applicant gets evaluated when' is entirely haphazard.
2) USC is engaged in a holistic review process and evaluating remaining candidates based on myriad factors.
3) USC is engaged in a "how will this splitter's GPA/LSAT affect our ratings in light of the offers that have been declined" process and my application is stuck to the back of another with doughnut glazing.

Maybe I am missing other plausible explanations. I have heard more than a few suggestions that #1 is the case. I have heard numerous variations on #3. Of course, I would like to believe in #2 (insert joke here). Any thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:33 pm

unknownscholar wrote:kinda like being seated next to the kitchen. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like being seated next to the kitchen... at least when it's an open kitchen. I like to have the chef right there pointing at my plate and saying I'm almost done and to get my main course ready. and then I like it when the sous chefs plop a pizza down in front of me on behalf of someone i've never heard of. I don't like it when I can't eat the pizza because I am too full, though =(

daisuki

New

Post by daisuki » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Speluncean X wrote:For those still waiting (like me), here is something to consider:

There have been countless numerically superior candidates who completed their applications long after mine and yet received their [unfortunate] decisons already.
Yet here I am...waiting.

1) USC is being lazy about decisions, and the process of 'which applicant gets evaluated when' is entirely haphazard.
2) USC is engaged in a holistic review process and evaluating remaining candidates based on myriad factors.
3) USC is engaged in a "how will this splitter's GPA/LSAT affect our ratings in light of the offers that have been declined" process and my application is stuck to the back of another with doughnut glazing.

Maybe I am missing other plausible explanations. I have heard more than a few suggestions that #1 is the case. I have heard numerous variations on #3. Of course, I would like to believe in #2 (insert joke here). Any thoughts?
I'm leaning towards 3 myself, ITE most schools are probably holding on to rankings for dear life

Speluncean X

New

Post by Speluncean X » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:24 pm

daisuki wrote:
Speluncean X wrote:For those still waiting (like me), here is something to consider:

Yet here I am...waiting.

3) USC is engaged in a "how will this splitter's GPA/LSAT affect our ratings in light of the offers that have been declined" process and my application is stuck to the back of another's with doughnut glazing.

I'm leaning towards 3 myself, ITE most schools are probably holding on to rankings for dear life
Ah yes, ye olde #3. I have long feared that what I have construed as plausible evidence of a comprehensive admissions evaluation is merely the result of misplaced "doughnut glazing" glueing my application to that of someone with better numbers. Krispy Creme hath given me false hope once more! Damn you and your irresistible sticky sweetness!

dysonfree

New

Post by dysonfree » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:21 am

Speluncean X wrote:
daisuki wrote:

Yet here I am...waiting.

3) USC is engaged in a "how will this splitter's GPA/LSAT affect our ratings in light of the offers that have been declined" process and my application is stuck to the back of another's with doughnut glazing.

Ah yes, ye olde #3. I have long feared that what I have construed as plausible evidence of a comprehensive admissions evaluation is merely the result of misplaced "doughnut glazing" glueing my application to that of someone with better numbers. Krispy Creme hath given me false hope once more! Damn you and your irresistible sticky sweetness!
There is no mystery here. USC has both median and 75 percentile at 167. It is therefore obvious that most of the students (25% or more) are at 167. That is why they are reluctant, at this "early" stage, to admit anyone with 166 or lower unless one is a minority or an otherwise exceptional candidate (like near 4.0 GPA from a top 10-20 undergrad).
One miscalculation will lead to a disastrous 166 median.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:31 am

dysonfree wrote: There is no mystery here. USC has both median and 75 percentile at 167. It is therefore obvious that most of the students (25% or more) are at 167. That is why they are reluctant, at this "early" stage, to admit anyone with 166 or lower unless one is a minority or an otherwise exceptional candidate (like near 4.0 GPA from a top 10-20 undergrad).
One miscalculation will lead to a disastrous 166 median.
They can also be planning to move the median and 75% higher. Perhaps not the median looking at the numbers on LSN, but the 75% might move up to 168 or higher.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck everyone.

queenofhearts

New

Post by queenofhearts » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:39 pm

how many of you are still IR 3/16 or earlier? this is getting to be ridiculous...

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:35 pm

queenofhearts wrote:how many of you are still IR 3/16 or earlier? this is getting to be ridiculous...
in review 1/22 and no word since.

i think i'm the winner so far, so when you want to complain about it think of me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amandap

Bronze

Post by amandap » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:08 pm

I am withdrawing today that should free up a spot and some money.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:36 pm

rputt3256 wrote:Just withdrew...hope this helps someone!
+1

To all attending - have fun in sunny LA!

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:06 pm

fl0w wrote:
queenofhearts wrote:how many of you are still IR 3/16 or earlier? this is getting to be ridiculous...

i think i'm the winner so far, so when you want to complain about it think of me.
not quite. I've been in review since then, too, and finalaspects has been IR since a week prior to that.

meddlingkid

Bronze

Post by meddlingkid » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:08 pm

fl0w wrote:

I've been in review since 1/22 as well. Sigh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”