USC 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gobears09

Bronze

Re: USC 2010!

Post by gobears09 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:02 pm

finalaspects wrote:
sibley wrote:Finally got the ding. It's a good thing I knew it was a ding because I don't believe they once mentioned that they denied me admission. They did, however, say that they'd like it very much if I applied as a transfer next year. yippee.
not to kill your mood or anything sibley, but do you know if they say that to everyone? because i believe cornell does that too. asking them to transfer or reapply next year to everyone they rejected...
I think Berkeley does too

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:15 pm

rachery wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:Is anyone still just at "complete?"
I've been just at complete since 11/23. What about you?

Wow...I'm sorry! I feel like I shouldn't complain now. I've been complete since 1/20

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:00 pm

mctj wrote:
ViP wrote:
GermX wrote:Yes, 3/31 batch is rejection.

I just don't get it. With a 3.4 and a 169 I was at least a candidate for the wait list. and I was waitlisted at UCLA and a few far better schools than USC, what is up with this unbelievable rejection?

Oh well, I'm not holding my hopes up high for UCLA, so unless Cornell gives me good news, I am off to either GW Law or Fordham Law. God I wish making the decision between the two was easy.
Maybe USC has enough high LSATs at this point and they're looking for high GPAs? Sort of seems like a trend recently... Who knows.
Wishful thinking on your part.
And fear on your part.

From what I've seen, a striking number of rather strong splitters have been rejected recently. Your thoughts?

jonnodotsg

New

Post by jonnodotsg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speluncean X

New

Post by Speluncean X » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:11 pm

jonnodotsg wrote:
ViP wrote:From what I've seen, a striking number of rather strong splitters have been rejected recently. Your thoughts?
I agree. Just from those that post in this thread, there have already been a few >170/below-median GPA applicants that were rejected outright as opposed to waitlisted. They're definitely not saving them/their high LSAT scores for later, so it does make sense, somewhat, that they are looking for something else entirely at this point in time.

My guess is that USC believes it has already put together a class that meets their expectations, numbers-wise. Thus, they might now be looking at applicants with numbers that at least meet both medians so as not to rock the boat too much. Applicants with high GPAs might be favored, but not at the cost of an LSAT hit.

FWIW, my hunch is that the 166 crowd will only hear back after the first deposit deadline has passed, when they know exactly how many "filler" applicants they need to admit.
I could not agree more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:52 pm

What do you think is taking them so long on a 167, 3.91? Judging by Law School Numbers, I thought I would be admitted with money by now. Not too worried because I've been accepted to some places, but I am still curious.

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 pm

1) Applied in early January.
2) PS was, in my opinion, one of the stronger portions of my application. Writing is one of the things I know that I can do. I might not be great at it, but certainly not so bad that it would detract from my application.
3) Possible. However, I have good relationships with the writers, and I doubt they would do that.
4) Top 20 public.

Quine

Bronze

Post by Quine » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:37 pm

ViP wrote:
mctj wrote:
ViP wrote:
GermX wrote:Yes, 3/31 batch is rejection.

I just don't get it. With a 3.4 and a 169 I was at least a candidate for the wait list. and I was waitlisted at UCLA and a few far better schools than USC, what is up with this unbelievable rejection?

Oh well, I'm not holding my hopes up high for UCLA, so unless Cornell gives me good news, I am off to either GW Law or Fordham Law. God I wish making the decision between the two was easy.
Maybe USC has enough high LSATs at this point and they're looking for high GPAs? Sort of seems like a trend recently... Who knows.
Wishful thinking on your part.
And fear on your part.

From what I've seen, a striking number of rather strong splitters have been rejected recently. Your thoughts?
I've been wait-listed already. What do I fear exactly?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 pm

gobears09 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
sibley wrote:Finally got the ding. It's a good thing I knew it was a ding because I don't believe they once mentioned that they denied me admission. They did, however, say that they'd like it very much if I applied as a transfer next year. yippee.
not to kill your mood or anything sibley, but do you know if they say that to everyone? because i believe cornell does that too. asking them to transfer or reapply next year to everyone they rejected...
I think Berkeley does too

yeah. of course it's generic.... you missed the sarcasm of my 'yippee?' come on, who says yippee nowadays...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daisuki

New

Post by daisuki » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:21 am

sternc wrote:1) Applied in early January.
2) PS was, in my opinion, one of the stronger portions of my application. Writing is one of the things I know that I can do. I might not be great at it, but certainly not so bad that it would detract from my application.
3) Possible. However, I have good relationships with the writers, and I doubt they would do that.
4) Top 20 public.
I don't know man I thought the same thing, I'm confident my PS was at least decent. Similar #s, lower GPA (still above 3.0 though) 'good' softs. I hope you get in but I have to say I was questioning what would have certainly been sticker to attend.. and I'm not saying that just because they rejected me. Schools have to do certain things ITE wrt to admissions cycles, the (prospective) students do too

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:28 am

sibley wrote: yeah. of course it's generic.... you missed the sarcasm of my 'yippee?' come on, who says yippee nowadays...
hey now.... a girl that i like says that a lot. well a variation of it but nonetheless.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 am

finalaspects wrote:
sibley wrote: yeah. of course it's generic.... you missed the sarcasm of my 'yippee?' come on, who says yippee nowadays...
hey now.... a girl that i like says that a lot. well a variation of it but nonetheless.
you're such a strange bird.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:50 am

3/31 batch are rejections?

lol awesome.. can't wait to get mine :evil:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smacroon

New

Post by smacroon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 am

Anyone have any insight on when we are getting final fin aid packages? Would like to know before I start turning down April 15 offers...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 am

Withdrew this morning. Had a small scholarship that will go back into the pot.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 am

sibley wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
you're such a strange bird.
no idea what that means.... :|

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:48 pm

For those of you who sent back the letter asking for a spot on the waitlist, did you get a confirmation email from usc? I emailed them making sure they got my letter (I live on the east coast) on 3/30 but haven't got a response yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WhatToDo21

New

Post by WhatToDo21 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:55 pm

I have been In Review since 3/16, should I just assume that I will be getting a rejection letter eventually. I feel like it's late in the cycle and that it should not be taking them that long......

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:01 pm

WhatToDo21 wrote:I have been In Review since 3/16, should I just assume that I will be getting a rejection letter eventually. I feel like it's late in the cycle and that it should not be taking them that long......
I've also been under review since 3/16. At this point, I've pretty much decided that I'm heading to Michigan. But USC is where I went to undergrad and I paid them my app fee so I'm getting an answer dammit!

SaraLA

New

Post by SaraLA » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Yes, complete on 1/14 and ever since. Only school I haven`t heard back from yet.

LizBennet

New

Post by LizBennet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
WhatToDo21 wrote:I have been In Review since 3/16, should I just assume that I will be getting a rejection letter eventually. I feel like it's late in the cycle and that it should not be taking them that long......
I've also been under review since 3/16. At this point, I've pretty much decided that I'm heading to Michigan. But USC is where I went to undergrad and I paid them my app fee so I'm getting an answer dammit!
I went to USC for undergrad also. we get out app fee waived...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 pm

LizBennet wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
I went to USC for undergrad also. we get out app fee waived...
Are you serious?!? What did you have to do to get the app waived? If you want you can PM me.

Fast_Fingers

Silver

Post by Fast_Fingers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:3/31 batch are rejections?

lol awesome.. can't wait to get mine :evil:
Yeah, just got mine. Better luck with other schools...

bryanhan

New

Post by bryanhan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:41 am

Decision Finalized 3/19. Still didn't get the snail mail. Anyone waiting for decision letter from 3/19 DF like me? I think the mail got lost or something...

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 am

Nat1018 wrote:
rachery wrote:
I've been just at complete since 11/23. What about you?

Wow...I'm sorry! I feel like I shouldn't complain now. I've been complete since 1/20

Still at complete 10/14. Kind of on the ridiculous side of the line, I would say... 6 month anniversary will be coming up next Wednesday!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”