USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby dvd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 pm

msch0i wrote:Blah..some disturbing news: the last "wave" (2 on LSN) of acceptances for last year were on March 24th. Does this really mean they're done accepting people? The only acceptances after this were waitlist->accepts, of which there were quite a few (starting very early, before May). So for you WLers, there's hope! For those of us Complete/IR/recently DFed....I don't know :(


no mail yet? im sure you'll get it by this week.... i wish they got mine over with though

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby msch0i » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 pm

finalaspects wrote:
msch0i wrote:Blah..some disturbing news: the last "wave" (2 on LSN) of acceptances for last year were on March 24th. Does this really mean they're done accepting people? The only acceptances after this were waitlist->accepts, of which there were quite a few (starting very early, before May). So for you WLers, there's hope! For those of us Complete/IR/recently DFed....I don't know :(


no mail yet? im sure you'll get it by this week.... i wish they got mine over with though


Nope, no mail. I didn't believe they would send it out on Friday...and they didn't :lol: . So it means I'll get it tomorrow at absolute earliest. Going out of town until Thursday...so I'll just have to follow this thread to see fellow DF 3/19ers' results :) The only thing that keeps me from losing ALL hope is that there are a bunch of splitters/reverse splitters mixed in this batch, and none (so far as I can tell) who are absolute auto-rejects (I think all of us have at least one 75th or greater numbers).

dcrlo3
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby dcrlo3 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:Any DF 3/9ers get scholarship info yet?

nope, checking religiously though. Hopefully it will come before week's end!

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby OneKnight » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Keep on believing, mschoi. This cycle has been really rough, but that also means decisions have been made later than usual (look at Cornell!). I came into this cycle thinking USC was a solid target for me, and I still believe it is.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby msch0i » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:43 pm

OneKnight wrote:Keep on believing, mschoi. This cycle has been really rough, but that also means decisions have been made later than usual (look at Cornell!). I came into this cycle thinking USC was a solid target for me, and I still believe it is.


Thanks for the encouragement. Good luck :D

49erjo
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:01 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby 49erjo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 pm

dvd wrote:
49erjo wrote:
dvd wrote:
49erjo wrote:Received scholarship packet today with 30k per year! Compared to the 1k grant from UCLA, south-central LA is sounding mighty nice right about now. Anybody going to be doing some negotiating with UCLA? Good luck all!


What were your numbers?


170/3.71


Wow, I am surprised that you didn't get more from UCLA.


Yes to be honest I was pretty disappointed. But hopefully I'll have SOME leverage with UCLA now. I dunno, if anybody has any success let me know!

User avatar
bayareadunks
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:34 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby bayareadunks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:19 am

Got my financial aid notice in the mail today...

$20k per year!

WAY more than I thought I would get which makes USC the school I will most likely be attending in the fall!

(I'm in the Bay Area, just in case people were wondering how long it took for mailed letters to be received)

katalatriste
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby katalatriste » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:54 am

:( im going to ride this waitlist until the end ... is anyone with me?

User avatar
smacroon
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby smacroon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 am

22/year...letter arrived in NYC yesterday :)

User avatar
ornbarn
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby ornbarn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:20 am

1800calturk wrote:A friend in law school says that USC doesn't negotiate, and in the letter they say something like, "this is the full extent of the scholarship we can offer you" or something. That's just her story, I don't know myself. Has anyone had success negotiating with USC? I suppose it really can't hurt to try, it's not like they're going to give you less $ for asking.

Foxyeconomist, I was accepted early feb and I haven't gotten an offer yet.


I spoke to someone in the financial office in person. He said that the only time the scholarship can change is during negotiation when you receive, as it's not going to go up/down over the next three years even if your need goes up, you are #1 in the class, or you are barely passing. Obviously, he said, they are more willing to bump up someone's scholarship who has a bigger one from a peer/higher ranked school, but it never hurst to ask.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby musicfor18 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 am

ornbarn wrote:
1800calturk wrote:A friend in law school says that USC doesn't negotiate, and in the letter they say something like, "this is the full extent of the scholarship we can offer you" or something. That's just her story, I don't know myself. Has anyone had success negotiating with USC? I suppose it really can't hurt to try, it's not like they're going to give you less $ for asking.

Foxyeconomist, I was accepted early feb and I haven't gotten an offer yet.


I spoke to someone in the financial office in person. He said that the only time the scholarship can change is during negotiation when you receive, as it's not going to go up/down over the next three years even if your need goes up, you are #1 in the class, or you are barely passing. Obviously, he said, they are more willing to bump up someone's scholarship who has a bigger one from a peer/higher ranked school, but it never hurst to ask.


To whom do you think a negotiation letter should be addressed? And what is the best way to send it? As a simple email? As an email attachment? Snail mail?

User avatar
ornbarn
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby ornbarn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 am

musicfor18 wrote:
ornbarn wrote:
1800calturk wrote:A friend in law school says that USC doesn't negotiate, and in the letter they say something like, "this is the full extent of the scholarship we can offer you" or something. That's just her story, I don't know myself. Has anyone had success negotiating with USC? I suppose it really can't hurt to try, it's not like they're going to give you less $ for asking.

Foxyeconomist, I was accepted early feb and I haven't gotten an offer yet.


I spoke to someone in the financial office in person. He said that the only time the scholarship can change is during negotiation when you receive, as it's not going to go up/down over the next three years even if your need goes up, you are #1 in the class, or you are barely passing. Obviously, he said, they are more willing to bump up someone's scholarship who has a bigger one from a peer/higher ranked school, but it never hurst to ask.


To whom do you think a negotiation letter should be addressed? And what is the best way to send it? As a simple email? As an email attachment? Snail mail?


I would think by email would be fine. I would send it to Chloe Reid, as she was the one who sent the scholarship letter, I don't know if she'll the one that will reply, but it'll end up in the right hands.

StrawberryRed89
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby StrawberryRed89 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Yay, 18k/year merit scholarship.

dcrlo3
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby dcrlo3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:23 pm

StrawberryRed89 wrote:Yay, 18k/year merit scholarship.

congrats! when did you DF??

StrawberryRed89
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby StrawberryRed89 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:40 pm

dcrlo3 wrote:
StrawberryRed89 wrote:Yay, 18k/year merit scholarship.

congrats! when did you DF??


Thanks! It was a while ago, sometime mid-January, I think.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby autarkh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Anyone get their letter from the DF 3/19 batch yet?

User avatar
LizBennet
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby LizBennet » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:08 pm

autarkh wrote:Anyone get their letter from the DF 3/19 batch yet?



I got my waitlist letter after being waitlisted on 3/19. It was postmarked 3/22.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby autarkh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:30 pm

LizBennet wrote:
autarkh wrote:Anyone get their letter from the DF 3/19 batch yet?



I got my waitlist letter after being waitlisted on 3/19. It was postmarked 3/22.



Thanks. So it seems they sent correspondence out yesterday. Out of curiosity, did your status checker change to WL or did you learn of your WL through the letter?

User avatar
LizBennet
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby LizBennet » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:06 pm

autarkh wrote:
LizBennet wrote:
autarkh wrote:Anyone get their letter from the DF 3/19 batch yet?



I got my waitlist letter after being waitlisted on 3/19. It was postmarked 3/22.



Thanks. So it seems they sent correspondence out yesterday. Out of curiosity, did your status checker change to WL or did you learn of your WL through the letter?



My status checker changed to "Waitlisted" on 3/19.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Inygma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:07 pm

LizBennet wrote:
autarkh wrote:Anyone get their letter from the DF 3/19 batch yet?



I got my waitlist letter after being waitlisted on 3/19. It was postmarked 3/22.



Interesting, still think I am getting the rejection.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Inygma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:08 pm

LizBennet wrote:
autarkh wrote:
LizBennet wrote:
autarkh wrote:Anyone get their letter from the DF 3/19 batch yet?



I got my waitlist letter after being waitlisted on 3/19. It was postmarked 3/22.



Thanks. So it seems they sent correspondence out yesterday. Out of curiosity, did your status checker change to WL or did you learn of your WL through the letter?



My status checker changed to "Waitlisted" on 3/19.



And that finalized it.... I must have the rejection.

Mine says decision finalized, and my numbers are not good for USC.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:08 pm

what do you guys think will happen to me? I was waitlisted at UCLA and Hastings and USC's the only in-between CA school I applied to.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Inygma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:11 pm

sibley wrote:what do you guys think will happen to me? I was waitlisted at UCLA and Hastings and USC's the only in-between CA school I applied to.


Low GPA, based on past LSN numbers it is not looking good.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Inygma wrote:
sibley wrote:what do you guys think will happen to me? I was waitlisted at UCLA and Hastings and USC's the only in-between CA school I applied to.


Low GPA, based on past LSN numbers it is not looking good.


California hates me. Oh well.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applicationquestions, bigtytybird and 6 guests