USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Scrutinizer

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Scrutinizer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 pm

I'm going to assume the email with student number implies acceptance? I think I went DF on the 9th, but I'm abroad and haven't received anything yet.

Is there an admitted students website or anything?

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

roundabout wrote:
evergirl23 wrote:
Applicant2010 wrote:
evergirl23 wrote:Interesting...I called this morning and talked to both Admissions and Financial Aid. I was told that some scholarship offers would be going out at the end of this week.

The disorganization is killing me. I got this email Sunday night after asking when USC would mail scholarship awards:

"Dear XXXX,

I believe scholarship letters were mailed out late last week.

Thank you,

Office of Admissions
Gould School of Law
University of Southern California
699 Exposition Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90089
Phone: (213) 740-2523
Fax: (213) 740-4570"

Per the Admissions person I talked to this morning, Admissions isn't really involved in the Scholarship decisions. All information is coming out of the Financial Aid office, and the contact person is Mary Bingham.

Really? This would be unusual compared to other schools, where it seems like admissions are uniformly involved with merit scholarships. Need-based seems to be the thing that's up to the financial aid people. Are you just talking about need-based aid?

Whether or not admissions is involved, it seems insane for them to not know if/when scholarship decisions have been mailed. Obviously that has a massive impact on people accepting offers.

Yeah, I'm down to my top 3 schools and knowing whether or not my scholarships will be closely matched at all will have a very real influence on my decision. I really just want to get my cycle over and begin making plans

LizBennet

Postby LizBennet » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:32 pm

Complete 1/20 -> IR 3/17

ornbarn

Postby ornbarn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Talked to people in Financial Aid today (went to the office). All of the scholarship letters are going out today, some were in the mail room, others were being sealed.

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:37 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:40 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm

ornbarn wrote:Talked to people in Financial Aid today (went to the office). All of the scholarship letters are going out today, some were in the mail room, others were being sealed.

Hooray! Thanks so much for the update! :D

dcrlo3

Postby dcrlo3 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:49 pm

ornbarn wrote:Talked to people in Financial Aid today (went to the office). All of the scholarship letters are going out today, some were in the mail room, others were being sealed.

I just received email from fin aid today and submitted --- "If you wish to be considered for USC Law Scholarship, you must electronically submit the USC Law Application for Scholarships and Financial Aid. We recommend that you submit this application within two weeks of receiving this email. The application can be submitted by clicking here. The Admissions and Financial Aid Committee expects to begin making decisions shortly." sooo??? I filled out the sheet and submitted it. Has everyone else received this email/filled out this info

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:08 pm

dcrlo3 wrote:I just received email from fin aid today and submitted --- "If you wish to be considered for USC Law Scholarship, you must electronically submit the USC Law Application for Scholarships and Financial Aid. We recommend that you submit this application within two weeks of receiving this email. The application can be submitted by clicking here. The Admissions and Financial Aid Committee expects to begin making decisions shortly." sooo??? I filled out the sheet and submitted it. Has everyone else received this email/filled out this info

Yes

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 pm

I can't believe it - IR 3/17 (from 11/1 complete). I'm in total shock.

heavenlyhautbois

Postby heavenlyhautbois » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 pm

dvd wrote:
dvd wrote:Has anyone heard anything positive about the Rothman yet?

i.e., if we haven't heard anything yet, are we still in the running?

I'd really like to know this, too, seeing as the interview dates are rapidly approaching! I e-mailed at the end of last week asking for an update, since I live in the Midwest, but I didn't even get a reply. I'm kind of thinking on the one hand that, if I haven't heard anything at this late date, I'm out of the running, but most people seem to have gotten the courtesy of a letter . . .

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:22 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Also in review. Crossing my fingers.

U-Bahn

Postby U-Bahn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Any updates on DF 3/5ers?

Is true that they're all rejections?

I still haven't got my mail and I'm desperate/curious/frustrated..

softey

Postby softey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Does anyone know how rejections/acceptances come?

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 pm

dvd wrote:
heavenlyhautbois wrote:
dvd wrote:
dvd wrote:Has anyone heard anything positive about the Rothman yet?

i.e., if we haven't heard anything yet, are we still in the running?

I'd really like to know this, too, seeing as the interview dates are rapidly approaching! I e-mailed at the end of last week asking for an update, since I live in the Midwest, but I didn't even get a reply. I'm kind of thinking on the one hand that, if I haven't heard anything at this late date, I'm out of the running, but most people seem to have gotten the courtesy of a letter . . .

exactly. my thinking is, maybe no letter = good news?

My letter went to my permanent, not current address. So make sure you check there as well if they aren't the same.

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:45 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:16 am

autarkh wrote:Also in review. Crossing my fingers.

I've been in review since 1/22. Should I be calling them?

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:25 am

fl0w wrote:

I've been in review since 1/22. I havent called...yet. I don't know what I'd say. Uhmm, hurry up? lol.

newyorklaw23

Postby newyorklaw23 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:30 am

unknownscholar wrote:
fl0w wrote:

I've been in review since 1/22. I havent called...yet. I don't know what I'd say. Uhmm, hurry up? lol.

+1

My under review was updated to 3/15. I'm debating between calling them and overnighting a LOCI.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:31 am

unknownscholar wrote:
fl0w wrote:

That's what I'm planning to say basically. If they have any sort of time-line for rendering the remainder of the decisions.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:53 am

i think it's a legit question but it probably comes across better in the form of continued interest in the school. Telling them something like...I appreciate your thorough process...I understand how important it is to provide applicants with optimal consideration...I look forward to hearing from you soon because I love your school...nudge nudge...wink wink.

And it probably cant hurt to tell them what you've been learning about the school while you've been waiting.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:58 am

unknownscholar wrote:i think it's a legit question but it probably comes across better in the form of continued interest in the school. Telling them something like...I appreciate your thorough process...I understand how important it is to provide applicants with optimal consideration...I look forward to hearing from you soon because I love your school...nudge nudge...wink wink.

And it probably cant hurt to tell them what you've been learning about the school while you've been waiting.

I would put all of those things in a letter, but I probably would not discuss them in a phone call. I'm going to avoid providing my name if I don't have to. I was planning on being more "to the point".

Also, none of the above will impact a file that is already "In Review."

*Edit
Well I guess it could impact it if you start cussing them out. I meant that you won't positively impact an application that is "In Review" because they are currently reviewing it. If a WL decision is made, then you can submit something to add to the app again.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:15 pm

The information I got was not very helpful.

The admissions person said "we aren't on the review board, so we don't know." And that the review board has not provided any guidance as to when they would be able to render a decision on the remainder of the applications.

She closed by saying she couldn't imagine that it would take any more than another couple of weeks and that if I haven't heard anything by then I should call again.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 pm

fl0w wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:i think it's a legit question but it probably comes across better in the form of continued interest in the school. Telling them something like...I appreciate your thorough process...I understand how important it is to provide applicants with optimal consideration...I look forward to hearing from you soon because I love your school...nudge nudge...wink wink.

I would put all of those things in a letter, but I probably would not discuss them in a phone call. I'm going to avoid providing my name if I don't have to. I was planning on being more "to the point".

Also, none of the above will impact a file that is already "In Review."

*Edit
Well I guess it could impact it if you start cussing them out. I meant that you won't positively impact an application that is "In Review" because they are currently reviewing it. If a WL decision is made, then you can submit something to add to the app again.

I think it can...but it depends on who the applicant is. If it's someone with great numbers...like at or above median, it's a signal that they're still considering to come this late in the cycle when they could probably be sending a deposit at a just-as-good or better school who gave them a decision/money already.

If its someone below median, then AdComs know they'd probably be prepared to enroll regardless of when the decision came. So I'd think minimal impact. On the other hand, given that, it helps to set yourself apart from all the other people who'd be willing to pay sticker. how? not sure. But I'm willing to bet that as long as it demonstrates genuine interest it cant hurt. that'd be enough for me to play the card.

all that said, I still don't have anything to add to my file. lol.

edit: about what admissions said: I expected that response. I wouldn't hold my breath on 2 wks. So many folks on LSN got decisions well into April.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”