USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
holybartender

Re: USC 2010!

Postby holybartender » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:38 pm

bconly wrote:Yup... look like YP for the 175+ set. Write a LOCI and I bet you'll be #1 off the WL.

Shit's frustrating, I didn't pay the $75 fee because I wasn't interested in attending.

Faesha

Postby Faesha » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Waitlisted today too after being IR for about a week. Not really surprised, but still stings a little :(

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:40 pm

holybartender wrote:
bconly wrote:Yup... look like YP for the 175+ set. Write a LOCI and I bet you'll be #1 off the WL.

Shit's frustrating, I didn't pay the $75 fee because I wasn't interested in attending.

I didn't pay $75 for them to not even look at my application! Jeez. What is this?

WhatToDo21

Postby WhatToDo21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Still complete since 11/25 :? I would just like a decision before my seat deposits are due.... Kinda doubt that is going to end up happening though :evil:

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:53 pm

msch0i wrote:
OneKnight wrote:Holy God, I thought this day would never come.
In Review
Current Status Date: 3/16/2010!!!!!!

(From complete 12/10/2009)

Feels great, doesn't it? I went IR a few days ago and it totally made my day, although it really didn't mean anything :lol:

Feels awesome. Given all these Complete --> Waitlists, I'm actually pretty happy about it. At the very least, they have remembered I exist. Here's hoping we receive good news soon, mschoi ^^

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:54 pm

It looks like they're pretty much moving along in applications every day...be it putting people IR or making decisions. Maybe this means they're pretty much done with making financial aid info for the acceptances so far (since there hasn't been any acceptances lately)? Any thoughts?

bconly

Postby bconly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:03 pm

I know I'm sort of trolling this thread - but 2 questions:

1. How many days after the status checker goes DF has it taken USC to postmark the decision letter?

2. Am I really the only one on TLS that has gone DF 3/12? What does this mean?

USC is my #1, and my numbers are borderline, so I'm freakin out... :x

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:06 pm

bconly wrote:I know I'm sort of trolling this thread - but 2 questions:

1. How many days after the status checker goes DF has it taken USC to postmark the decision letter?

No one really knows the answer to question #1...I think it's different for each batch, as some people have said they received their letter very quickly whereas some had to wait a week/over a week.

Re #2...I think you are :lol: Out of the ones that bother posting on here, anyway. From what I can tell, I was the only one to go IR when I did...so I'm thinking maybe they're doing smaller batches of movement more often.

Either way...don't panic too much :D I'm sure you'll have your decision by Saturday at latest..

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:09 pm

And this USC waitlist ends my cycle. 168, 3.5, 1 accept, 2 reject, 5 waitlists. *sigh*

dcrlo3

Postby dcrlo3 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:10 pm

finalaspects wrote:
holybartender wrote:Waitlisted, numbers in profile.

wow....

sorry to hear it.. what a tough cycle.. 175 is massive

dcrlo3

Postby dcrlo3 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:15 pm

msch0i wrote:
bconly wrote:I know I'm sort of trolling this thread - but 2 questions:

No one really knows the answer to question #1...I think it's different for each batch, as some people have said they received their letter very quickly whereas some had to wait a week/over a week.

Re #2...I think you are :lol: Out of the ones that bother posting on here, anyway. From what I can tell, I was the only one to go IR when I did...so I'm thinking maybe they're doing smaller batches of movement more often.

Either way...don't panic too much :D I'm sure you'll have your decision by Saturday at latest..

I D/F 3/9 Postmarked acceptance letter 3/10 -- received it on 3/13. It looks to me like splitters w/ below median gpa are being WL'd no matter the lsat score.. see above 3.5 175 WL --- so if you're above both medians or at you've got a good shot.

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:24 pm

existenz wrote:
1800calturk wrote:Honestly I'm banking on first week of April. Anyone sending in SIR before $? I've run through my decisions with USC at sticker, and it's still USC.

You'd gotta be rich or crazy to do that. Even if you are set on USC, don't throw away scholly leverage by sending your SIR now before finding out about $.

I don't know how realistic scholly leverage is at this point. I mean, they aren't sending out their offers till god knows when. By the time we get offers, there will be a VERY short window or no window at all for when a lot of other schools are expecting seat deposits. Should I just throw down deposits at a couple schools to keep my options open?

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:31 pm

I had the same - DF 3/9, postmarked acceptance letter 3/10, received in the mail on 3/13.

However I'm a splitter w/below median GPA and they accepted me. 3.4/169.

dcrlo3

Postby dcrlo3 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:35 pm

dudders wrote:I had the same - DF 3/9, postmarked acceptance letter 3/10, received in the mail on 3/13.

However I'm a splitter w/below median GPA and they accepted me. 3.4/169.

HMMM puzzling.. are you a URM?

katalatriste

Postby katalatriste » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 pm

danidancer wrote:Wow. Just went straight from Complete 11/24 to Waitlist 3/16. FU too USC. :x

you're the second person that this has happened to :? Does this really mean they can waitlist you just on your numbers?[/quote]

lol im pretty sure i wasn't waitlisted just based on my numbers

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 pm

1800calturk wrote:
existenz wrote:
1800calturk wrote:Honestly I'm banking on first week of April. Anyone sending in SIR before $? I've run through my decisions with USC at sticker, and it's still USC.

You'd gotta be rich or crazy to do that. Even if you are set on USC, don't throw away scholly leverage by sending your SIR now before finding out about $.

I don't know how realistic scholly leverage is at this point. I mean, they aren't sending out their offers till god knows when. By the time we get offers, there will be a VERY short window or no window at all for when a lot of other schools are expecting seat deposits. Should I just throw down deposits at a couple schools to keep my options open?

You sound like you are set on USC. The USC deadline for seat deposits isn't until the end of April. That's six weeks away. What if they send out offers in two weeks? That gives you four weeks to negotiate -- plenty of time. Since you literally have no idea when scholly offers come out, it's better to just sit tight and react accordingly.

The bigger worry, of course, is that you send in your seat deposit now and the school decides they don't have to offer you any merit aid, since you are already committed. It's like signing an purchase agreement on a car and then trying to negotiate the price.

dcrlo3

Postby dcrlo3 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:56 pm

existenz wrote:
1800calturk wrote:
existenz wrote:

You sound like you are set on USC. The USC deadline for seat deposits isn't until the end of April. That's six weeks away. What if they send out offers in two weeks? That gives you four weeks to negotiate -- plenty of time. Since you literally have no idea when scholly offers come out, it's better to just sit tight and react accordingly.

The bigger worry, of course, is that you send in your seat deposit now and the school decides they don't have to offer you any merit aid, since you are already committed. It's like signing an purchase agreement on a car and then trying to negotiate the price.

let me pose this question.. pay sticker at USC or take 25k per yr at illinois or full scholarship at less prestigious schools in the west.. not particularly interested in midwest though... anyone in similar situation?/ Love USC but not counting on much $$

hhg

Postby hhg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:02 pm

also just went straight from complete 23 nov to wl 16 mar... 168/3.4x. didn't really care anyway, just wanted an answer since i gave them money. will be withdrawing shortly.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:11 pm

I D/F'ed on 3/9/10.... got my acceptance letter postmarked 3/10.. have not received an e-mail about financial aid and the likes

anyone else waiting on this e-mail?

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:21 pm

existenz wrote:
1800calturk wrote:
existenz wrote:

Well I guess my real question is, can you use scholarships that no longer apply in order to leverage $ at USC? Will they know that you missed the deposit deadline for other schools?

For instance, school X offers you $60k, but their deposit deadline is April 7th. Let's say USC gives out scholly info April 7th. Can you then, not having put a deposit down for school X and thus indicating your disinterest, say "Hey USC, X gave me $60k, will you up your offer?" Would USC be able to tell that you didn't put your deposit down and think, "Well we know USC is your only option at this point"? Because if they can see that you are inevitably going to submit your SIR at USC, you don't have more leverage by waiting to SIR than just doing it when all your other acceptances' deposit deadlines are past.

But yeah I do see your point, its not a good idea to sumbit your SIR prematurely, it's not like they can revoke your admission if you wait. (You do however get to start looking for housing and getting your life in order, not to mention peace of mind.)

bconly

Postby bconly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Well we can put my mystery to rest.... dinged 166/3.5 (legacy). This one hurts a LOT (but was sorta expected). :cry:

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Status checker just updated. Went from UR 2/19 to UR 3/16.

eru2

Postby eru2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 pm

i got so excited when it seemed like pretty much everyone had movement so i actually got on to look... but, of course, i am still complete at 11/1

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:11 pm

eru2 wrote:i got so excited when it seemed like pretty much everyone had movement so i actually got on to look... but, of course, i am still complete at 11/1

That's probably a good thing, eru!

jonnodotsg

Postby jonnodotsg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”