USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ExcitedBlutterance

Re: USC 2010!

Postby ExcitedBlutterance » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:40 pm

OneKnight wrote:
danidancer wrote:Oh USC. Everyday I check my status, hoping, praying, that today will be the day I go under review. Alas, today is still not that day...

+1

+2

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:Speak of the devil. I was just talking about Need Access and an email from Davis showed up saying I'll get 10k in grants for 2010-2011 (a preliminary number and no mention of whether it can be renewed, but I am assuming so).

Would anyone consider going to UC Davis with 20k/year over USC sticker? (keeping fingers crossed for $$ from USC)

Absolutely not. Aside from the classic ranking debate, Davis is in a [EDIT]. There is nothing out there but cows. Apart from that, Davis pretty much employs only in Sacremento, since they can't compete with Boalt or Stanford in the Bay Area, nor Hastings in the city. I personally can't stand Sacramento, and can't understand how you'd rather live there than in LA.

DEFINITELY visit to see if it's for you.

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:44 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Jockin Jay-Z wrote:
finalaspects wrote:well like most law schools it looks like USC also ends their mass acceptances at the end of this month. there are only a handful of acceptances in april, and the rest are either waitlists or rejections...

we all wait until the end of march....

According to LSN, last year, USC sent acceptances throughout March.

what's what i said. that they end their mass acceptances at the end of this month.....

My bad. I imagined the letter 's' before the word 'ends.' Oops.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:24 pm

1800calturk wrote:
Mroberts3 wrote:Speak of the devil. I was just talking about Need Access and an email from Davis showed up saying I'll get 10k in grants for 2010-2011 (a preliminary number and no mention of whether it can be renewed, but I am assuming so).

Would anyone consider going to UC Davis with 20k/year over USC sticker? (keeping fingers crossed for $$ from USC)

Absolutely not. Aside from the classic ranking debate, Davis is in a [EDIT]. There is nothing out there but cows. Apart from that, Davis pretty much employs only in Sacremento, since they can't compete with Boalt or Stanford in the Bay Area, nor Hastings in the city. I personally can't stand Sacramento, and can't understand how you'd rather live there than in LA.

I suppose it's my love for norcal and general socal disdain...I will definitely visit USC though. If they were equally ranked I would take Davis hands down -- more laid back, extra space for a dog, more government /PI focused etc.

For me there is an inherent tension between how much I think I will enjoy where I am for school and how many opportunities I will have after school.

chango

Postby chango » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:42 pm

UC Davis with 20k/year over USC sticker

Since you are in the USC thread, my hunch is you'll be getting replies in favor of USC.

Considering the economy/job prospects for the next three years, any choice that limits debt load should be SERIOUSLY weighted.

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:33 am

Mroberts3 wrote:
1800calturk wrote:

I suppose it's my love for norcal and general socal disdain...I will definitely visit USC though. If they were equally ranked I would take Davis hands down -- more laid back, extra space for a dog, more government /PI focused etc.

For me there is an inherent tension between how much I think I will enjoy where I am for school and how many opportunities I will have after school.

Yeah that's the same reason UCI is messing up my plans. I love Orange County and would love to live there eventually over LA. I just think a USC grad will be able to break into the OC market if he wants, whereas a UCI grad may have a more diffiuclt time the other way around (?)

What you should consider is that if you'll be loving life so much more at Davis, to the extent where your performance will be greatly benefited, then the rankings don't matter as much. Also since USC's influence is generally considered regional, if you hate SoCal you shouldn't go there no matter how well it ranks. Davis is a solid school and places well in Sacremento, so if that's your bag of tea (can't relate at all) then I'd say go Davis.

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:35 am

1800calturk wrote:Yeah parents seem to not be very down to share their finances with their own children these days... Well, the crappy thing about my parents flat out refusing to fill out the form is I'm not even considered for grants or institutional loans. Weak.

USC just asked me what I thought my parents would contribute and I put "Nothing". Although I can see how Need Access is more fair, because if you have affluent parents like I do, I'm sure they will at least never let you hit bottom. Some students are actually in financial danger, rather than just having stingy parents, and they don't have a safety net at all.

Actually, Need Access allows parents to keep their financial info private from the student. You'll notice that there is a "Student" form and a "Parents" form. Your folks can put a password on the Parents section so that only they (and the school) can see it.

My parents didn't want to bother filling everything out online, so they just gave me the info over the phone while I filled in their section.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Hoping this is the calm before the strom as far as financial aid is concerned.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Hoping this is the calm before the strom as far as financial aid is concerned.

For admissions decisions too, right? I don't think I've heard of people going IR or DF in a while...

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Hoping this is the calm before the strom as far as financial aid is concerned.

The storm of money?

They should do financial aid like a game show where we all get together and they dump money on us for like 5 minutes and we get what we can pick up...

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:

The storm of money?

They should do financial aid like a game show where we all get together and they dump money on us for like 5 minutes and we get what we can pick up...

How fitting for a school that close to Hollywood. :lol:

Yellowcard

Postby Yellowcard » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:07 pm

1. Does USC do rolling admissions?
2. If USC does not do rolling admissions, does anyone know when the next batch of acceptances/rejections/wait lists is coming?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Yellowcard wrote:1. Does USC do rolling admissions?
2. If USC does not do rolling admissions, does anyone know when the next batch of acceptances/rejections/wait lists is coming?

are you seriously posting this in EVERY school thread you are waiting on here and in the 2013 area?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Yellowcard wrote:1. Does USC do rolling admissions?

I spoke to an admissions officer at a law fair...and she told me that they do something called "limited rolling admissions"...or something along those lines. Basically, they won't decide on applications in the exact order they receive them (obviously... :lol:) But I think they are operating along some kind of rolling process wherein auto-admits are getting acceptance letters on a pretty steady basis and they're beginning to get to splitters/reverse splitters (at least one batch, anyway) and putting them into review and deciding upon them in somewhat of a chronological order.

That being said, there are still October completes out there who still haven't gone into review...so no one really knows how they work :( And there is no predicting when the next batch of...anything is going to go out :lol:

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Their admissions process would run more smoothly if they got the scholarship info out to people sooner! That would seal the deal for a lot of us and then they'd have a more accurate gauge on how many more to admit.

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Anyone else go to the USC Trojan Luncheon today? Or was I the only TLSer there?

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:01 pm

existenz wrote:Anyone else go to the USC Trojan Luncheon today? Or was I the only TLSer there?

Was this the regional reception? How was it? I'm debating whether to go for it, but the NorCal one conflicts with UCI's ASD.

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:33 pm

1800calturk wrote:
existenz wrote:Anyone else go to the USC Trojan Luncheon today? Or was I the only TLSer there?

Was this the regional reception? How was it? I'm debating whether to go for it, but the NorCal one conflicts with UCI's ASD.

Actually it was an on-campus lunch. Good food and a few speakers, very low key.

chango

Postby chango » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:54 pm

1800calturk wrote:Their admissions process would run more smoothly if they got the scholarship info out to people sooner! That would seal the deal for a lot of us and then they'd have a more accurate gauge on how many more to admit.

+100

I live locally and dropped by their Admissions Department several times. I can't say I was very impressed. They were somewhat rude and seemed fairly disorganized (people running about madly with hands flapping about and loose papers trailing in their wake would be an exaggeration, but only slightly)

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:42 am

I was there! Mmm free good food. Got to talk to Dean Rasmussen today. I asked him about what he thought about UCI Law School, and he said the challenge for them will be getting that alumni base set up and getting employers to trust the quality of the school's graduates (I'm well aware of UCI's response to this...been keeping track of the UCI 2013 thread). He said USC grads will have no problem getting jobs in the OC, as it's the second largest USC alumni community outside of LA.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:58 am

protokurios wrote:

I was there! Mmm free good food. Got to talk to Dean Rasmussen today. I asked him about what he thought about UCI Law School, and he said the challenge for them will be getting that alumni base set up and getting employers to trust the quality of the school's graduates (I'm well aware of UCI's response to this...been keeping track of the UCI 2013 thread). He said USC grads will have no problem getting jobs in the OC, as it's the second largest USC alumni community outside of LA.

Would you take SC or Irvine over Columbia/Chicago?

chango

Postby chango » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:17 am

protokurios wrote:

Wow, that's crazy talk. USC grads are having problems getting jobs EVERYWHERE. I have lots of friends graduating this year, and the level of frustration is very high. For an accurate assessment of job prospects, don't talk to a Dean, talk to 3L's.

Aias

Postby Aias » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:34 am

I heard that ~50% of 2L got offers through OCI.

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:40 am

chango wrote:
protokurios wrote:

Wow, that's crazy talk. USC grads are having problems getting jobs EVERYWHERE. I have lots of friends graduating this year, and the level of frustration is very high. For an accurate assessment of job prospects, don't talk to a Dean, talk to 3L's.

I think he was referring to USC's success relative to UCI's in OC, which has no alumni base yet. Plus, in answering a question from me, a 0L, maybe he was thinking of 3 years out from now, as opposed to right now.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:24 am

chango wrote:
protokurios wrote:

is it that bad out there still? not like USC is a tier 2 school or anything, or i figured they would do fairly well around the LA county.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”