USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
1800calturk

Re: USC 2010!

Postby 1800calturk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:52 pm

I did the FAFSA and the Need Based aid questionnaire, but they never sent me a merit aid form or anything like that. Was this in a separate email or something?

edit: Nevermind, I think I got it. There was the FAFSA, then the "Supplemental Form" which was like a drop menu thing, and then the questionnaire which asked about need but was for merit aid...

It was just way too simple for me to believe that I was done, what with the UC system being a HUGE PITA with their Need Access malarkey. My parents told me they couldn't support me and refused to fill out the need access form, but USC makes provisions for that. Loving USC more and more...

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:04 pm

1800calturk wrote:I did the FAFSA and the Need Based aid questionnaire, but they never sent me a merit aid form or anything like that. Was this in a separate email or something?

edit: Nevermind, I think I got it. There was the FAFSA, then the "Supplemental Form" which was like a drop menu thing, and then the questionnaire which asked about need but was for merit aid...

It was just way too simple for me to believe that I was done, what with the UC system being a HUGE PITA with their Need Access malarkey. My parents told me they couldn't support me and refused to fill out the need access form, but USC makes provisions for that. Loving USC more and more...

Yeah I think it's a bit ridiculous that the NeedAccess system just assumes that parents will support their kids if they claim them as dependents...I found out I would not be getting much help from them when they e-mailed me back the info I needed to fill out their NeedAccess section...but all of the answers read, "Don't need to disclose." :lol:

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Yeah parents seem to not be very down to share their finances with their own children these days... Well, the crappy thing about my parents flat out refusing to fill out the form is I'm not even considered for grants or institutional loans. Weak.

USC just asked me what I thought my parents would contribute and I put "Nothing". Although I can see how Need Access is more fair, because if you have affluent parents like I do, I'm sure they will at least never let you hit bottom. Some students are actually in financial danger, rather than just having stingy parents, and they don't have a safety net at all.

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:32 pm

1800calturk wrote:Yeah parents seem to not be very down to share their finances with their own children these days... Well, the crappy thing about my parents flat out refusing to fill out the form is I'm not even considered for grants or institutional loans. Weak.

USC just asked me what I thought my parents would contribute and I put "Nothing". Although I can see how Need Access is more fair, because if you have affluent parents like I do, I'm sure they will at least never let you hit bottom. Some students are actually in financial danger, rather than just having stingy parents, and they don't have a safety net at all.

A similar thing happened with me, USC and other schoools told me not to worry about it, but GW wouldn't even consider me for aid becasue my father refused, needless to say I turned down their admissions offer

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:43 pm

I discussed this with a friend the other day. There are plenty of kids (myself included) with parents who COULD afford to finance law school, but whose parents want us to pay our own way. This situation sort of sucks for us, because we get (next to) no need aid despite the fact that we aren't getting any parental support. However, if schools were to just take people at their word, kids whose parents were planning to pay would just claim otherwise and get need aid, thereby taking money from those who really do need it.

I'm taking solace in the fact that while I will be paying for school myself, if I run into financial problems during law school, my mom is not going to hang me out to dry. Let the need aid go to those whose parents either would do that to their kids, or who can't afford not to.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:44 pm

I hear you guys. I put off NA till the last second because the only school im really considering other than USC would be UC Davis. They would really have to come through $$$ wise to make me go there, but I probably won't get it because of parental income. I got some merit aid, but not enough to counteract USC's pull.

My parents and grandmother are helping me out (which I put down on the USC questionnaire), but need access for Davis was annoying because I have no idea if their contribution is in line with their wealth or not. That is, they may be helping me out more (or less) than parents with similar incomes, but NA doesn't seem to take it into account. Need Access REALLY screws over people like you guys who have affluent parents that aren't contributing at all...(like you said though, it's nice to at least have a safety net).

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:45 pm

crackberry wrote:I discussed this with a friend the other day. There are plenty of kids (myself included) with parents who COULD afford to finance law school, but whose parents want us to pay our own way. This situation sort of sucks for us, because we get (next to) no need aid despite the fact that we aren't getting any parental support. However, if schools were to just take people at their word, kids whose parents were planning to pay would just claim otherwise and get need aid, thereby taking money from those who really do need it.

I'm taking solace in the fact that while I will be paying for school myself, if I run into financial problems during law school, my mom is not going to hang me out to dry. Let the need aid go to those whose parents either would do that to their kids, or who can't afford not to.

Bolded is the real issue. Agree with you 100% on everything here. I can't complain because my parents are helping out some, but I do feel for your situation.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Oh USC. Everyday I check my status, hoping, praying, that today will be the day I go under review. Alas, today is still not that day...

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:08 pm

well like most law schools it looks like USC also ends their mass acceptances at the end of this month. there are only a handful of acceptances in april, and the rest are either waitlists or rejections...

we all wait until the end of march....

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:10 pm

finalaspects wrote:well like most law schools it looks like USC also ends their mass acceptances at the end of this month. there are only a handful of acceptances in april, and the rest are either waitlists or rejections...

dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Speak of the devil. I was just talking about Need Access and an email from Davis showed up saying I'll get 10k in grants for 2010-2011 (a preliminary number and no mention of whether it can be renewed, but I am assuming so).

Would anyone consider going to UC Davis with 20k/year over USC sticker? (keeping fingers crossed for $$ from USC)

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:17 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:Speak of the devil. I was just talking about Need Access and an email from Davis showed up saying I'll get 10k in grants for 2010-2011 (a preliminary number and no mention of whether it can be renewed, but I am assuming so).

Would anyone consider going to UC Davis with 20k/year over USC sticker? (keeping fingers crossed for $$ from USC)

yes, I probably would.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:20 pm

We all know that people have been complete for months and months (I was one of them), what's the longest anyone here has been, or still is In Review?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:22 pm

SilverE2 wrote:We all know that people have been complete for months and months (I was one of them), what's the longest anyone here has been, or still is In Review?

complete in mid-oct. been in review for almost 2 months now. but my review date changed to a couple of weeks ago. chances are im getting rejected though (splitter over 75% lsat, lower than 25% gpa)

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:23 pm

SilverE2 wrote:We all know that people have been complete for months and months (I was one of them), what's the longest anyone here has been, or still is In Review?

I've been IR since 1/8, but I think there are people who have been IR since December.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 pm

finalaspects wrote:

complete in mid-oct. been in review for almost 2 months now. but my review date changed to a couple of weeks ago. chances are im getting rejected though (splitter over 75% lsat, lower than 25% gpa)

finalaspects are those your real numbers on you lsn page? If not would you PM me?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Oh wow, I didn't realize that there are people who have also been In Review for months. :(

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:37 pm

finalaspects wrote:well like most law schools it looks like USC also ends their mass acceptances at the end of this month. there are only a handful of acceptances in april, and the rest are either waitlists or rejections...

According to LSN, last year, USC sent acceptances throughout March.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:38 pm

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:

what's what i said. that they end their mass acceptances at the end of this month.....

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Blah, this only gives me a few weeks to go from Complete->IR->DF if admitted. Highly unlikely. Sigh.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:40 pm

I went IR 12/17, again 1/19, and got waitlisted 2/22. So, over 2 months. :(

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Slansky wrote:

I went IR 12/17, again 1/19, and got waitlisted 2/22. So, over 2 months. :(

we all know you were a YP slansky. if you show interest until the end i am willing to bet money that you will be accepted. although chances for the $$$ is diminished so that sucks....

Quine

Postby Quine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:24 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Jockin Jay-Z wrote:

what's what i said. that they end their mass acceptances at the end of this month.....

The entire cycle is about a month behind where it was last year, though, isn't it?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 pm

mctj wrote:The entire cycle is about a month behind where it was last year, though, isn't it?

not sure how delayed it is, but this is definitely possible.

it seems like the acceptances started about 2 weeks later than last year. that along with the increased amount of applications may delay it further. but you never know, they might be able to handle the increased amount of applications and might still be able to finish it by the end of March.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:37 pm

danidancer wrote:Oh USC. Everyday I check my status, hoping, praying, that today will be the day I go under review. Alas, today is still not that day...

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”