USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Re: USC 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:51 am

The timing seemed a bit strange to me. Why would one spend the effort writing an essay for a scholarship at a school where one hasn't been admitted at this point?

However, I must say that the offer is extremely generous and well worth the time to write the essay if one is serious about USC.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:53 am

galahad85 wrote:
SanBun wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
Unless your numbers are fudged on LSN, you do look like an auto-admit for USC.

And judging from last year's thread, it seems like just about everyone who got this invitation was accepted shortly thereafter. So this should be good news for us. :D

AWESOME!!! that makes me happy! (hope i'm not judging prematurely, but really doesn't seem like it)

Still, I'm surprised they sent me an invitation- I don't think it's like an auto # thing? At least in the package it says "A few selected students are invited to apply", so by a few how many can they mean? I hope it's more like 60-few and not 960-few LOL

It kind of looks like anyone above their medians got it, so it's probably a lot. I'm guessing they need to cast as wide a net as possible, since many people with high #'s will simply opt for a higher ranked school.

In that case, I don't feel quite as special, but still happy about chances at USC and possibly indication of good $$ offer in the future :D

deem

Postby deem » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:50 am

galahad85 wrote:
SanBun wrote:Also, I had a very very public interest-y PS and DS and i don't have auto-admit #

Unless your numbers are fudged on LSN, you do look like an auto-admit for USC.

And judging from last year's thread, it seems like just about everyone who got this invitation was accepted shortly thereafter. So this should be good news for us. :D

I really hope that the same thing happens this year. When you say "shortly after", do you mean shorter than the 8-12 week time span? Sorry to be a pain, but this waiting period is killing me (and I only applied in mid-november haha). thanks!

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:17 pm

Got the Rothman Scholars packet today, finally. The folder is really nice, everything I've gotten from USC has been very well put together and well designed. Makes me like them even more. Now all I need is another big envelope from them, please USC!

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:26 pm

can someone post the link to USC's status checker please?

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:27 pm

clint4law wrote:can someone post the link to USC's status checker please?

Status Checker Link.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:28 pm

http://lawweb.usc.edu/how/jd/onlineappl ... status.cfm

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:28 pm

EDIT: Three should be enough right? :)

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:29 pm

anniesaysrelax wrote:

EDIT: Three should be enough right? :)

thanks

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Mosca wrote:

Status Checker Link.

thanks....complete since 11/9....so hopefully I'll hear back in the next couple weeks.

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Applied today. USC sent me a merit-based fee waiver, but I don't know why they did with my stats. I didn't even consider sending something to them until then, but who knows...just hoping it's not them trying to fill up their URM pool.

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:59 pm

billyez wrote:Applied today. USC sent me a merit-based fee waiver, but I don't know why they did with my stats.
billyez wrote:...just hoping it's not them trying to fill up their URM pool.
Solution found! :wink: Goodluck, though.

socalren

Postby socalren » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Status Checker says: In Review.

deem

Postby deem » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:39 pm

socalren wrote:Status Checker says: In Review.

good luck! Based on how early you applied, I thought your app would have been reviewed by now. I hope it goes well!

socalren

Postby socalren » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Yeah, well my LSAT is not the highest, so I guess I'm just happy they are looking at it. It would be really wonderful to be accepted.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:38 pm

weird: I've received the Rothman package but my status checker still says Complete- what's up with that???

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:46 pm

SanBun wrote:weird: I've received the Rothman package but my status checker still says Complete- what's up with that???

That's the way it is for everyone who's received the Rothman stuff.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:48 pm

crackberry wrote:
SanBun wrote:weird: I've received the Rothman package but my status checker still says Complete- what's up with that???

oh, so they send it to you without reviewing your app, or do they just not change the status checker ?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:59 pm

SanBun wrote:
crackberry wrote:

oh, so they send it to you without reviewing your app, or do they just not change the status checker ?

No it's only for people with high numbers, but for whatever reason they send it before you've been officially admitted. Based on previous years, though, if you get the Rothman invitation, you'll get an acceptance shortly. Probably next week.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:07 pm

crackberry wrote:
SanBun wrote:
crackberry wrote:

No it's only for people with high numbers, but for whatever reason they send it before you've been officially admitted. Based on previous years, though, if you get the Rothman invitation, you'll get an acceptance shortly. Probably next week.

awesome, thanks crackberry!

On another note, does anyone know about the location of USC/ quality of life?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:14 pm

SanBun wrote:On another note, does anyone know about the location of USC/ quality of life?

Well the location is pretty bad. It's in central LA and it really is the ghetto, but as far as quality of life, it's pretty high. People who go to USC love it; the people are beautiful, the weather is unbeatable and the football team is king.

deem

Postby deem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:02 pm

crackberry wrote:
SanBun wrote:On another note, does anyone know about the location of USC/ quality of life?

Well the location is pretty bad. It's in central LA and it really is the ghetto, but as far as quality of life, it's pretty high. People who go to USC love it; the people are beautiful, the weather is unbeatable and the football team is king.

Every time I hear someone talk about USC, I get more excited about the prospect of getting accepted. I really hope the people who received invitations to apply for the scholarship do start hearing back next week. I would be so excited to not have to stress over christmas break.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:05 pm

crackberry wrote:
SanBun wrote:
On another note, does anyone know about the location of USC/ quality of life?

Well the location is pretty bad. It's in central LA and it really is the ghetto, but as far as quality of life, it's pretty high. People who go to USC love it; the people are beautiful, the weather is unbeatable and the football team [strike]is[/strike] was king.

Fixed.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:12 pm

deem wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Every time I hear someone talk about USC, I get more excited about the prospect of getting accepted. I really hope the people who received invitations to apply for the scholarship do start hearing back next week. I would be so excited to not have to stress over christmas break.

I am excited about the weather/quality of life, but not so much about the ghetto location. I don't know how fine I would be living there for 3 years. I would almost say that if the location were better, I would just pick USC with $$ (ideally) over higher ranked schools.
Do students live outside the USC area, i.e. in nicer, nearby areas?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:14 pm

SanBun wrote:
deem wrote:I am excited about the weather/quality of life, but not so much about the ghetto location. I don't know how fine I would be living there for 3 years. I would almost say that if the location were better, I would just pick USC with $$ (ideally) over higher ranked schools.
Do students live outside the USC area, i.e. in nicer, nearby areas?

Some do, but traffic in LA is so bad that you really can't live that far away and have a reasonable commute. I've got a couple friends at USC for grad school (not law) and they live in Westwood (where UCLA is and a MUCH nicer location), but they say that they sometimes have a 45 minute commute for what is a 10 mile drive.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”