USC 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby TheWire » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:45 pm

just got an acceptance letter

DF 2/1

Postmarked 2/3

stats in profile

deem
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby deem » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:02 pm

^^congrats on the acceptance!

I have a few questions for you knowledgeable people concerning the Rothman scholarship. I have tried to read the info that has been posted around here, but I am still unsure about how it may affect a scholarship offer. People have said that applicants who got the invite received decent to significant scholarship money. My question is: Did the significant offers only apply to finalists or to most of the people who were invited? Thanks for any insight. I am hoping (need) to get an offer and am wondering what my chances are (I received the invite and applied).

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:10 pm

deem wrote:^^congrats on the acceptance!

I have a few questions for you knowledgeable people concerning the Rothman scholarship. I have tried to read the info that has been posted around here, but I am still unsure about how it may affect a scholarship offer. People have said that applicants who got the invite received decent to significant scholarship money. My question is: Did the significant offers only apply to finalists or to most of the people who were invited? Thanks for any insight. I am hoping (need) to get an offer and am wondering what my chances are (I received the invite and applied).


Beware of extrapolating too much from a single case, but I received the invite, didn't apply, and still received $$$.

hopefulincal
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby hopefulincal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:27 pm

managamy wrote:
deem wrote:^^congrats on the acceptance!

I have a few questions for you knowledgeable people concerning the Rothman scholarship. I have tried to read the info that has been posted around here, but I am still unsure about how it may affect a scholarship offer. People have said that applicants who got the invite received decent to significant scholarship money. My question is: Did the significant offers only apply to finalists or to most of the people who were invited? Thanks for any insight. I am hoping (need) to get an offer and am wondering what my chances are (I received the invite and applied).


Beware of extrapolating too much from a single case, but I received the invite, didn't apply, and still received $$$.


Managamy you received scholarship from USC already? No one else has reported getting $ from USC yet.

Jockin Jay-Z
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Managamy has a 178/4.0 from a T4 undergrad. He is, um, not a typical strong applicant, and not even a typical Rothman invitee.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:38 pm

hopefulincal wrote:
managamy wrote:
deem wrote:^^congrats on the acceptance!

I have a few questions for you knowledgeable people concerning the Rothman scholarship. I have tried to read the info that has been posted around here, but I am still unsure about how it may affect a scholarship offer. People have said that applicants who got the invite received decent to significant scholarship money. My question is: Did the significant offers only apply to finalists or to most of the people who were invited? Thanks for any insight. I am hoping (need) to get an offer and am wondering what my chances are (I received the invite and applied).


Beware of extrapolating too much from a single case, but I received the invite, didn't apply, and still received $$$.


Managamy you received scholarship from USC already? No one else has reported getting $ from USC yet.


My parents told me that they received something to that effect from USC yesterday. I suppose that it's possible that they misread something; sorry if it turns out to be a false alarm.

Aias
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:17 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Aias » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:41 am

For those of you who got the financial/merit based aid email. Is it appropriate to make a pitch for receiving merit based aid in the "relevant information box" i.e ( merit based aid will play a major decision on where I attend law school)?

madhatter01
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby madhatter01 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:36 am

There's no use in worrying now, but I can't help but asking. Is it crucial to submit a diversity statement with your application? When I was filling out the application I was under the impression that USC was only interested in something like a diversity statement if you came from a disadvantaged economic background, but after reading the TLS interview, I feel otherwise.

jd2013
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby jd2013 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:25 am

Havaianas wrote:yay - just got my big acceptance packet in the mail today. Nice folder and law magazine


cool & congrats! how long did it take from when you got the small acceptance envelope?

jelizabeth88
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby jelizabeth88 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:09 pm

They are such a tease with the small envelope. My brother called sounding all solemn about a letter from USC asked if I wanted him to open it and then exclaimed, "oh that's weird! I definitely thought they were rejecting you." I think it's a little unnecessary for them to send a small letter informing you that you will be receiving a larger packet but oh well, just glad I got in. :D

Is it bad that they didn't say anything about money in the letter, or could there still be some merit-aid?

User avatar
smacroon
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby smacroon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:15 pm

jelizabeth88 wrote:They are such a tease with the small envelope. My brother called sounding all solemn about a letter from USC asked if I wanted him to open it and then exclaimed, "oh that's weird! I definitely thought they were rejecting you." I think it's a little unnecessary for them to send a small letter informing you that you will be receiving a larger packet but oh well, just glad I got in. :D

Is it bad that they didn't say anything about money in the letter, or could there still be some merit-aid?


For the most party they actually have not taken action on scholarships yet. You will get an email asking you to fill out a few forms for merit/need aid and they are supposed to send info on $$ in March. Congrats on the acceptance :)

dnesto01
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby dnesto01 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Anyone still "complete as of 11/30"...I don't understand how I haven't gone under review yet.

User avatar
hhg
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby hhg » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:18 pm

dnesto01 wrote:Anyone still "complete as of 11/30"...I don't understand how I haven't gone under review yet.


complete 11/23. no movement at all...

User avatar
HaleyB88
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:03 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby HaleyB88 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:26 pm

hhg wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:Anyone still "complete as of 11/30"...I don't understand how I haven't gone under review yet.


complete 11/23. no movement at all...


I was complete 11/9 and I just went under review last Friday (1/29)....I don't think that they necessarily go in the order they received the apps, but it seems like they have some sort of a system....I just don't know what it is!

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Neelio » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:16 pm

would love to see some movement today... come on USC

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby danidancer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:29 pm

hhg wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:Anyone still "complete as of 11/30"...I don't understand how I haven't gone under review yet.


complete 11/23. no movement at all...


Same but 11/24. So annoying.

User avatar
CoutureChiq
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby CoutureChiq » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:32 pm

In via snail mail on Friday!

nyskidude
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby nyskidude » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi USC,

I don't know if you remember, but our 4-month anniversary is coming up on Sunday (which is also Valentine's day). It will be 4 months since I have been complete, and you haven't even looked at me yet. It hurts my feelings that you have had my application sitting in a desk somewhere since 10/14. But all it takes is one stamp of approval to rebuild those hurt feelings.

nyskidude

User avatar
soccersmo
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby soccersmo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:11 pm

danidancer wrote:
hhg wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:Anyone still "complete as of 11/30"...I don't understand how I haven't gone under review yet.


complete 11/23. no movement at all...


Same but 11/24. So annoying.


11/20...
aye... but danidance we have similar stats, (slightly lower lsat slightly higher GPA) i wonder if we will all go into a review as a group... I'm just hoping its soon... its my first choice!!

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Slansky » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:32 pm

nyskidude wrote:Hi USC,

I don't know if you remember, but our 4-month anniversary is coming up on Sunday (which is also Valentine's day). It will be 4 months since I have been complete, and you haven't even looked at me yet. It hurts my feelings that you have had my application sitting in a desk somewhere since 10/14. But all it takes is one stamp of approval to rebuild those hurt feelings.

nyskidude


<3

User avatar
anniesaysrelax
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: USC 2010!

Postby anniesaysrelax » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:39 pm

I took a long weekend and went and visited the school and Los Angeles on Friday and was pretty impressed with the facilities. The building doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is really nice inside and well maintained. When I started this whole process USC was my top choice, but I'm having a hard time deciding if it really is where I want to be. If they would just release $$ decisions already this would be a lot easier!

floppymex
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby floppymex » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:49 pm

IR 1/8 - 1 Month baby!

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:49 pm

floppymex wrote:IR 1/8 - 1 Month baby!

+1 :|

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby calicocat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Veritas wrote:
floppymex wrote:IR 1/8 - 1 Month baby!

+1 :|


At least you're in review. I'm thinkin of emailing them and asking what's up.

User avatar
peyso
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Re: USC 2010!

Postby peyso » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:52 pm

calicocat wrote:
Veritas wrote:
floppymex wrote:IR 1/8 - 1 Month baby!

+1 :|


At least you're in review. I'm thinkin of emailing them and asking what's up.


+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”