USC 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roundabout

Bronze

Re: USC 2010!

Post by roundabout » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:41 pm

Sorry to hear about waitlists, guys. I feel guilty posting this on a board with people still waiting, but actually I think this affects everyone. Has ANYONE heard anything about merit scholarships? They won't take people off the waitlist until people start accepting, and people won't start accepting until they hear about both merit and need-based scholarships! C'mon, USC- we want to love you. I have the sweet international mail delay going on here, so it may also be me.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:46 pm

roundabout wrote:Sorry to hear about waitlists, guys. I feel guilty posting this on a board with people still waiting, but actually I think this affects everyone. Has ANYONE heard anything about merit scholarships? They won't take people off the waitlist until people start accepting, and people won't start accepting until they hear about both merit and need-based scholarships! C'mon, USC- we want to love you. I have the sweet international mail delay going on here, so it may also be me.
I'm starting to question whether the Rothman actually exists...

bayareadunks

New

Post by bayareadunks » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:25 pm

roundabout wrote:Sorry to hear about waitlists, guys. I feel guilty posting this on a board with people still waiting, but actually I think this affects everyone. Has ANYONE heard anything about merit scholarships? They won't take people off the waitlist until people start accepting, and people won't start accepting until they hear about both merit and need-based scholarships! C'mon, USC- we want to love you. I have the sweet international mail delay going on here, so it may also be me.
I mean, I'm sure they are deciding as we speak. If you sent in all three things (fafsa, 8-question application, then the form that had to be downloaded off that server) the scholly info should probably come within the next week or two. I called last Thursday to make sure they had all of my forms, and I prodded a bit to see if they'd give any info on when they'd have offers ready, but they were hip to my scheme and stayed annoyingly vague. Realistically though, and you're right roundabout, if they want their admits to seriously consider USC they should be getting offers out ASAP. But I am in no position to be dictating terms since it's my best acceptance...so I'll take whatever they give me. :mrgreen:

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Bump for financial aid info, and +1 to the above posters.

I contacted the fin aid office in mid Feb to confirm that they had all necessary documents. They told me they had everything and that merit aid would go out soon, followed by full packages in late March. Obviously that hasn't happened yet, so at this point I'm assuming that everything will be coming out later in March (fingers crossed).

Xizenta

Bronze

Post by Xizenta » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:12 pm

I am so screwed.
My app just went complete today.
I apped in early january with a february retake scheduled and they held the file incomplete this whole time :roll:
It's not like they would have rejected me by now if it went complete in Jan anyway, so I wish i had just asked them to make it complete and update the file when the new score comes in.

173 / 3.2 - do you guys think I might get in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:28 pm

Xizenta wrote:I am so screwed.
My app just went complete today.
I apped in early january with a february retake scheduled and they held the file incomplete this whole time :roll:
It's not like they would have rejected me by now if it went complete in Jan anyway, so I wish i had just asked them to make it complete and update the file when the new score comes in.

173 / 3.2 - do you guys think I might get in?
Cha, I think you have a chance (not that I know what I'm talking about- never stopped a TLSer before, though). Looking at LSN those around you were WL'd, but there are only two, so don't let that scare you. There's always a chance- I was the lone green spot on another school's yellow field in my score/GPA neighborhood, so you never know. Good luck to those still waiting.

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:30 pm

bayareadunks wrote:
I mean, I'm sure they are deciding as we speak. If you sent in all three things (fafsa, 8-question application, then the form that had to be downloaded off that server) the scholly info should probably come within the next week or two. I called last Thursday to make sure they had all of my forms, and I prodded a bit to see if they'd give any info on when they'd have offers ready, but they were hip to my scheme and stayed annoyingly vague. Realistically though, and you're right roundabout, if they want their admits to seriously consider USC they should be getting offers out ASAP. But I am in no position to be dictating terms since it's my best acceptance...so I'll take whatever they give me. :mrgreen:
Mroberts3 wrote:Bump for financial aid info, and +1 to the above posters.

I contacted the fin aid office in mid Feb to confirm that they had all necessary documents. They told me they had everything and that merit aid would go out soon, followed by full packages in late March. Obviously that hasn't happened yet, so at this point I'm assuming that everything will be coming out later in March (fingers crossed).
This is helpful- thanks both.

WiretoWire09UF

New

Post by WiretoWire09UF » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:47 pm

I would love to go to USC. However I have another scholarship offer that expires on April 1st that I don't think I can pass up without anything from USC. I don't feel entitled, I just simply can't afford to pay sticker. I hope USC makes it a tough choice for me, I really am very interested.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

WiretoWire09UF wrote:I would love to go to USC. However I have another scholarship offer that expires on April 1st that I don't think I can pass up without anything from USC. I don't feel entitled, I just simply can't afford to pay sticker. I hope USC makes it a tough choice for me, I really am very interested.
Are you in/in review already? It seems like everyone is hesitant to make the final decision about SC because of the delayed financial aid info...hopefully they get those out soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

initech

Bronze

Post by initech » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 pm

FWIW, I looked at my status checker after withdrawing today. Waitlist as well, 169, 3.5+

WiretoWire09UF

New

Post by WiretoWire09UF » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 pm

First batch of acceptances, applied in early October, Rothman applicant.

It's not just the scholarship offer but money is VERY tight right now. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, I'd be honored to get a scholarship @ USC. I have the numbers but that's not everything; you can't EXPECT anything. This is why I can't just jump on the USC bandwagon quite yet. I can't turn my back until I know offers are out, though. I just hope they give me enough time to make a choice (if they decide to make an offer)

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:19 pm

Admin folks at the USC reception today claimed no scholarship info had been sent to anyone, so I guess its not a bad sign if you haven't gotten any $$ yet.

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:33 pm

yeff wrote:Admin folks at the USC reception today claimed no scholarship info had been sent to anyone, so I guess its not a bad sign if you haven't gotten any $$ yet.
Any indication on when they would start?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Applicant2010 wrote:
yeff wrote:Admin folks at the USC reception today claimed no scholarship info had been sent to anyone, so I guess its not a bad sign if you haven't gotten any $$ yet.
Not that I know of. Join us in the waiting room...

I feel like the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia gang waiting for medical care at the Kensington free clinic.

moonshine

New

Post by moonshine » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:29 pm

i contacted the financial aid office today about the rothman and was told that they are in the process of sending out Rothman decisions and that we would be hearing shortly about that. didn't ask about other scholarship decisions but i assume if the Rothman stuff is coming, other merit aid can't be too far behind.

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Mailed envelopes are nice to open... but e-mailing the scholarship info would be a huge help, time-wise. We're really getting down to the deadlines (I hear you WiretoWire09UF!) and I'd like to start making some final decisions.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 pm

I spoke with somebody at the admissions office, they told me that the Admissions and Financial Aid people were meeting this week, and that they "hope" to be able to mail out financial aid decisions by the end of this week for people who were admitted and filled out the USC Scholarship/Financial Aid application. Whether this will actually happen is another story.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

1800calturk

Bronze

Post by 1800calturk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:10 am

WiretoWire09UF wrote:First batch of acceptances, applied in early October, Rothman applicant.

It's not just the scholarship offer but money is VERY tight right now. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, I'd be honored to get a scholarship @ USC. I have the numbers but that's not everything; you can't EXPECT anything. This is why I can't just jump on the USC bandwagon quite yet. I can't turn my back until I know offers are out, though. I just hope they give me enough time to make a choice (if they decide to make an offer)
One option you have is to put down the first seat deposit for the scholarship you'll lose April 1st, at least before April 1st. It's annoying, but what is a couple hundred dollars int he face of hundreds of thousands, and many schools have some sort of refund policy before you have to pay the second deposit in June. This way you'll keep your options open as long as possible.

From what everyone's saying it seems like the end of March, so we've only got two weeks to wait!

Quine

Bronze

Post by Quine » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:09 am

initech wrote:FWIW, I looked at my status checker after withdrawing today. Waitlist as well, 169, 3.5+
FUCK. Did you write anything special for their diversity statement?

RednBlack

New

Post by RednBlack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:26 am

I really hope we get $$$ info sometime next week...but I'm willing to wait a bit longer for a very generous amount :mrgreen:

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:50 am

RednBlack wrote:I really hope we get $$$ info sometime next week...but I'm willing to wait a bit longer for a very generous amount :mrgreen:
FWIW - tonight Dean Reid said that financial aid offers should start to go out very soon (Friday/Monday). So be patient - they're coming soon:)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WiretoWire09UF

New

Post by WiretoWire09UF » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:17 am

I think I've used enough generalities in my life to know when I'm being handed one. "Soon, In the process of..." :)

The process remind anyone else of The Ladies Man? "Yes, uh I'm currently in the process of getting my resume typed up at Kinkos"

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:
Applicant2010 wrote:
Not that I know of. Join us in the waiting room...

I feel like the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia gang waiting for medical care at the Kensington free clinic.
That prostitute was really really ugly.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:Mailed envelopes are nice to open... but e-mailing the scholarship info would be a huge help, time-wise. We're really getting down to the deadlines (I hear you WiretoWire09UF!) and I'd like to start making some final decisions.
Yeah, I never understood why so many schools mail stuff. Go ahead and mail stuff, but send in an email as well, otherwise, you're just delaying the whole process a week. If someone in this day and age doesn't have e-mail, then I don't know what to say.

foxyeconomist

Bronze

Post by foxyeconomist » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Any DF 3/5 or 3/9ers get their decisions yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”