USC 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chango

Bronze

Re: USC 2010!

Post by chango » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:57 am

maybe he was thinking of 3 years out from now, as opposed to right now.

Take whatever a Law School Dean says with an industrial sized grain of salt. Question the data. Question the glossy prospectus that's giving you visions of dancing sugar plums. Question the school shills they hire to give the tours. Question, question, question.

They want your money.

Not just USC of course. Be VERY WARY of accruing massive amounts of debt.

And to this:
is it that bad out there still?
short answer: worse than you think. and consider that even three years from now, you'll be competing against other in your class, others in the three classes ahead of you who didn't find (decent) jobs, and the experienced lawyers who were laid off from their cushy jobs and may STILL be scrambling with the rest of the unwashed masses...

--ImageRemoved--

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Obviously you're passionate about the topic, judging from the pretty pictures and the cynical tone. It's something I will definitely have to keep in mind as I'm deciding where to go. Dean Rasmussen was a nice person to talk to. I'm sure if a 3L were to speak to him about the frustrating job market, he would approach the conversation differently.

1800calturk

Bronze

Post by 1800calturk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:11 pm

chango wrote:
maybe he was thinking of 3 years out from now, as opposed to right now.

Take whatever a Law School Dean says with an industrial sized grain of salt. Question the data. Question the glossy prospectus that's giving you visions of dancing sugar plums. Question the school shills they hire to give the tours. Question, question, question.

They want your money.

Not just USC of course. Be VERY WARY of accruing massive amounts of debt.

And to this:
is it that bad out there still?
short answer: worse than you think. and consider that even three years from now, you'll be competing against other in your class, others in the three classes ahead of you who didn't find (decent) jobs, and the experienced lawyers who were laid off from their cushy jobs and may STILL be scrambling with the rest of the unwashed masses...

--ImageRemoved--
I'd say that however "bad" USC's job prospects are, UCI's would be worse. The Dean brings up a good point, and I'm sure he's not lying about how big USC's alumni base is in OC. If job prospects are bad, it's across the board, and an unestablished/lower ranked school is going to have a rougher time. If you've had real world job experience, I don't need to tell you how big a difference alumni connections are, especially when jobs are scarce.

Plus, I am not as pessimistic about the legal market as you are. Sure, the days of floating on by through law school and landing six figures may be over, but for the hard workers and high achievers, there will always be work. I think if you care enough to post on this site, you're probably no slacker.

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 pm

my status recently updated to 'decision finalized' 3/5. Any way to read into waht this means? i.e. would i get a phone call if I was accepted or something?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:19 pm

nyyankees wrote:my status recently updated to 'decision finalized' 3/5. Any way to read into waht this means? i.e. would i get a phone call if I was accepted or something?
It will come in the mail :D

(grumble...still IR...grumble....)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Quine

Bronze

Post by Quine » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:19 pm

nyyankees wrote:my status recently updated to 'decision finalized' 3/5. Any way to read into waht this means? i.e. would i get a phone call if I was accepted or something?
You're the first person to get a decision on here or LSN for like, two weeks. Maybe the dry spell is over.

They send all decisions by first-class mail - no email or phone calls regardless of outcome.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Just a small envelope by mail saying congrats. Then later on a larger envelope with two letters, one from the main dean and another from a different dean.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:23 pm

USC, do you plan on putting me in review before April? :(

LvingLegend

New

Post by LvingLegend » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:23 pm

I got DF today also. Hoping for some good luck. My cycle has sucked so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:24 pm

mctj wrote:
You're the first person to get a decision on here or LSN for like, two weeks. Maybe the dry spell is over.

They send all decisions by first-class mail - no email or phone calls regardless of outcome.
im not sure if this is good news or not... my dot would be in a huge blank space on the LSN graph right now. I would probably guess waitlist (im a splitter), but it seems that there arent too many WLs right now

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:26 pm

nyyankees wrote:
mctj wrote:

im not sure if this is good news or not... my dot would be in a huge blank space on the LSN graph right now. I would probably guess waitlist (im a splitter), but it seems that there arent too many WLs right now
If you were a WL it would say on the status checker. DF is only for Admits/rejects, unless they suddenly changed their protocol on that.

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:28 pm

msch0i wrote:
nyyankees wrote:
mctj wrote:

If you were a WL it would say on the status checker. DF is only for Admits/rejects, unless they suddenly changed their protocol on that.
:shock: :? i guess that means either :lol: or :x

also, in case you are curious, i went complete in early december, UR twice once on 1/17 and again on 2/19

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:28 pm

nyyankees wrote:
mctj wrote:

how high is your lsat? at or over 170?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:29 pm

finalaspects wrote:
nyyankees wrote:
mctj wrote:

how high is your lsat? at or over 170?
3.2/169

foxyeconomist

Bronze

Post by foxyeconomist » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:29 pm

For today's DF's, when did you go IR? I've been IR since 2/8 with no DF.

LvingLegend

New

Post by LvingLegend » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 pm

i was ir on 1/15 and then again 2/17

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 pm

nyyankees wrote: 3.2/169
Good luck!

were other people who were waitlisted by USC done by status checker?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:32 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:For today's DF's, when did you go IR? I've been IR since 2/8 with no DF.
i went complete in early december, UR twice once on 1/17 and again on 2/19

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:33 pm

finalaspects wrote: Good luck!

There has only been one wave and I remember everyone saying they found out through status checker. Apparently a waitlist letter comes in the mail after that.

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Good luck!

Thanks! FWIW, ive been rooting for you to hear some good news for a while now (well before the worst cycle ever thread)

No idea on other peoples WLs. Im thinking that its more likely to be a reject than an admit. I think being from the east coast might be the kiss of death on top of the low GPA

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Good luck DFs!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:40 pm

nyyankees wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Good luck!

Thanks! FWIW, ive been rooting for you to hear some good news for a while now (well before the worst cycle ever thread)

No idea on other peoples WLs. Im thinking that its more likely to be a reject than an admit. I think being from the east coast might be the kiss of death on top of the low GPA
no splitters were thus far rejected. only a couple were waitlisted. i think this is a good sign for you and im thinking it will be an admit. there are a lot of other splitters and i think they would wait until april to reject them. have hope!

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Veritas wrote:Good luck DFs!!
thanks Veri, maybe this is a bit of a defense mechanism, but im thinkin im a reject now. So maybe the fact that you guys arent DF is a good thing

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:42 pm

nyyankees wrote:
Veritas wrote:Good luck DFs!!
thanks Veri, maybe this is a bit of a defense mechanism, but im thinkin im a reject now. So maybe the fact that you guys arent DF is a good thing
no no no. You are not permitted to think such things.

Keep hoping for the best!

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:43 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Good luck!

Via status checker then a big, deceiving packet comes in the mail w waitlist info. You fill out some of the paperwork and send it back if you want to remain on the WL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”