USC 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bayareadunks

New

Re: USC 2010!

Post by bayareadunks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm

violaboy wrote:Finally under review as of yesterday. Went complete 1/13.
Me too...I was complete 1/4. How long does the review process usually last?

fenderjsm88

Bronze

Post by fenderjsm88 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:18 pm

Went complete 12/21 and, as of yesterday, I am in review. Got a rejection letter from UCLA yesterday so USC is now my top choice.

bayareadunks

New

Post by bayareadunks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:21 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:Went complete 12/21 and, as of yesterday, I am in review. Got a rejection letter from UCLA yesterday so USC is now my top choice.
Sorry to hear that...hopefully 2/9 brings us all luck.

madhatter01

New

Post by madhatter01 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:21 pm

papercranes wrote:Calm down, kids. You're not going anywhere until August so what difference does it make to hear today v. next week? USC takes a long time in part because they want to put together a class that really works together. My class is very close and the rumours of the collegial atmosphere are understated.

Best of luck and don't panic yet. Panic in May or June maybe.
That's a strange admissions process.. How do they determine whether a class "works together?" Should I have submitted a diversity statement or something?

jonnodotsg

New

Post by jonnodotsg » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jelizabeth88

New

Post by jelizabeth88 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 pm

So got this USC e-mail about my USC ID number but then it wouldn't work to sign me into the myportal thing on their website. Anyone else have this problem or know what this ID is good for at the moment? Thanks!

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:20 pm

calicocat wrote:Complete 11/30 rothman invite

I think they just lost a bunch of apps
+1000

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:07 pm

galahad85 wrote:
calicocat wrote:Complete 11/30 rothman invite

I think they just lost a bunch of apps
+1000
Had the following not happened a couple of pages ago, I'd seriously agree. Complete 10/22 here, and with every day that passes, I care a little less. I understand rushing autoadmit letters out the door, but seriously, USC? Who do you think you are -- Cornell?
tcam wrote:
Neelio wrote:
tcam wrote:complete since 10/9 here
Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnn.... you should call and see if everything is ok.
hehe I took your advice and got in touch with the admissions office tonight only to get a snarky email back. Apparently "the wheels of processing move slowly"...

BlankC

New

Post by BlankC » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Went complete today. Into the waiting room I go! :D

Approximately 8 to 12 weeks, woo!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

papercranes

New

Post by papercranes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 am

madhatter01 wrote:
papercranes wrote:Calm down, kids. You're not going anywhere until August so what difference does it make to hear today v. next week? USC takes a long time in part because they want to put together a class that really works together. My class is very close and the rumours of the collegial atmosphere are understated.

Best of luck and don't panic yet. Panic in May or June maybe.
That's a strange admissions process.. How do they determine whether a class "works together?" Should I have submitted a diversity statement or something?

They really look to admit a diverse class. If you're just, straight out of undergrad, Poli sci major, average numbers, worked at a law firm for a summer, nothing else interesting about you, you might be waiting a while.

jonnodotsg

New

Post by jonnodotsg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:02 am

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 am

bayareadunks wrote:
Well I'm not understanding this, I've been complete since 10/28 and still not under review - only thing I can think is they are GPA hunting - I heard from a school today(T2) that bumped it's GPA mean from 3.1 to 3.5 last year - and they said that wasn't even impressive since in the current ap pool 'everyone' can do it, they said. With your LSAT, you jumping so quickly into IR maybe means schools are really looking to GPA first.

Edited for the usual typo
Last edited by ruleser on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:47 am

ruleser wrote:
bayareadunks wrote:
Well I'm not understanding this, I've been complete since 10/28 and still not under review - only think I can think is they are GPA hunting - I heard from a school today(T2) that bumped it's GPA mean from 3.1 to 3.5 last year - and they said that wasn't even impressive since in the current ap pool 'everyone' can do it, they said. With your LSAT, you jumping so quickly into IR maybe means schools are really looking to GPA first.
I have a 3.87 and they haven't looked at me in 3 months.

I really don't think there's any rhyme or reason to this...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jonnodotsg

New

Post by jonnodotsg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:57 am

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:24 am

galahad85 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
bayareadunks wrote:
Well I'm not understanding this, I've been complete since 10/28 and still not under review - only think I can think is they are GPA hunting - I heard from a school today(T2) that bumped it's GPA mean from 3.1 to 3.5 last year - and they said that wasn't even impressive since in the current ap pool 'everyone' can do it, they said. With your LSAT, you jumping so quickly into IR maybe means schools are really looking to GPA first.

Did you write the Rothman?

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:13 am

TheWire wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
ruleser wrote: Well I'm not understanding this, I've been complete since 10/28 and still not under review - only think I can think is they are GPA hunting - I heard from a school today(T2) that bumped it's GPA mean from 3.1 to 3.5 last year - and they said that wasn't even impressive since in the current ap pool 'everyone' can do it, they said. With your LSAT, you jumping so quickly into IR maybe means schools are really looking to GPA first.

No, I got the invite, but figured I had zero chance, so I didn't write the essay. Think that might have something to do with it?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 am

Count me in with those who went IR this week.

C'mon USC show me the muneh!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 am

I had Roth invite, but didn't apply for the same reason, but I got in around late Jan. I doubt they care that you didn't apply. I don't have a guess as to why it takes so long for some people and not for others. (I went complete in early dec)

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:53 am

galahad85 wrote:
TheWire wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
ruleser wrote: Well I'm not understanding this, I've been complete since 10/28 and still not under review - only think I can think is they are GPA hunting - I heard from a school today(T2) that bumped it's GPA mean from 3.1 to 3.5 last year - and they said that wasn't even impressive since in the current ap pool 'everyone' can do it, they said. With your LSAT, you jumping so quickly into IR maybe means schools are really looking to GPA first.

No, I got the invite, but figured I had zero chance, so I didn't write the essay. Think that might have something to do with it?
My UR review date changed as soon as they received my Rothman application and I was accepted within the next week and a half. I do think it has something to do with it for the following reason:

Your numbers aren't so high that they warrant you to be accepted as quickly as the 170+ people that they are continually receiving. However, I think they try to review the Rothman applicants first because they need to send decisions out for semi-finalists by the beginning of march. So, if this makes sense...I don't think the reason that you are getting your decision is because you didn't turn in the rothman BUT i think that returning the rothman would have expedited the process due to the fact that they need those applicants done anyways.

I don't really know if I was clear in getting across what I wanted to but its late and my brain isn't quite as effective as it was a few hrs ago...

holidayfromreal

New

Post by holidayfromreal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:17 am

The Wire wrote:
My UR review date changed as soon as they received my Rothman application and I was accepted within the next week and a half. I do think it has something to do with it for the following reason:

Your numbers aren't so high that they warrant you to be accepted as quickly as the 170+ people that they are continually receiving. However, I think they try to review the Rothman applicants first because they need to send decisions out for semi-finalists by the beginning of march. So, if this makes sense...I don't think the reason that you are getting your decision is because you didn't turn in the rothman BUT i think that returning the rothman would have expedited the process due to the fact that they need those applicants done anyways.

I don't really know if I was clear in getting across what I wanted to but its late and my brain isn't quite as effective as it was a few hrs ago...
I'm a Rothman invite with pretty low Rothman numbers 168/3.7 and I was accepted before I sent in my Rothman application

jsbr1114

New

Post by jsbr1114 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:17 pm

jelizabeth88 wrote:So got this USC e-mail about my USC ID number but then it wouldn't work to sign me into the myportal thing on their website. Anyone else have this problem or know what this ID is good for at the moment? Thanks!
+1 I've been trying to use my ID to get into the Financial Aid application and haven't been able to do so. I was going to give it another day before I called in case they still had to update the system.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:13 pm

ruleser wrote:
bayareadunks wrote:
I have a 3.7+ but I've been in review since late September. Then again, my LSAT is below their median. I hope we both go under review soon :P

bayareadunks

New

Post by bayareadunks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:24 pm

I went under review on 2/9. My status checker updated today, 2/11, and it says decision finalized. No email. No word on the status check of what the decision is. Is the quick turnaround a good or a bad sign? Should I call to see what's up?

Someone please help...I am going crazy and can't concentrate in class.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:29 pm

bayareadunks wrote:I went under review on 2/9. My status checker updated today, 2/11, and it says decision finalized. No email. No word on the status check of what the decision is. Is the quick turnaround a good or a bad sign? Should I call to see what's up?

you should look for others with 2/11DR. usually all the same DR dates end up being the same decisions.

someone with 161 3.86 was rejected but since you're a URM that shouldn't bother you.

bayareadunks

New

Post by bayareadunks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 pm

finalaspects wrote:
bayareadunks wrote:I went under review on 2/9. My status checker updated today, 2/11, and it says decision finalized. No email. No word on the status check of what the decision is. Is the quick turnaround a good or a bad sign? Should I call to see what's up?

you should look for others with 2/11DR. usually all the same DR dates end up being the same decisions.
Thanks...where exactly should I look for that? LSN?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”