Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:In: UC Davis, UC Hastings, U Wash ($), BU, Cardozo, Pacific ($$$$), UVA, Minnesota
WL: UCLA, USC, Penn
Out: BC, Stanford, Cornell
hold: Northwestern
Comm Review: Boalt

D:


Aggie you got into UVA? Nice! But are you still leaning toward UW? I would go to UVA, but that's just my personal preference.


Yeah they took me off the wait-list and admitted me. I am not at all interested in going. I'd rather shove nails under my fingernails than ever live in the south, and I just don't believe UVA would offer me the same opportunity to practice on the west coast that UW does (not to mention the price tag difference). UW's 50% tuition reduction for veterans is just too much to beat. It was good for my ego to be admitted, but meh. I hate that entire geographic area.


How did you get accepted from the WL so early??? I'd love to know your secret!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:51 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:In: UC Davis, UC Hastings, U Wash ($), BU, Cardozo, Pacific ($$$$), UVA, Minnesota
WL: UCLA, USC, Penn
Out: BC, Stanford, Cornell
hold: Northwestern
Comm Review: Boalt

D:


Aggie you got into UVA? Nice! But are you still leaning toward UW? I would go to UVA, but that's just my personal preference.


Yeah they took me off the wait-list and admitted me. I am not at all interested in going. I'd rather shove nails under my fingernails than ever live in the south, and I just don't believe UVA would offer me the same opportunity to practice on the west coast that UW does (not to mention the price tag difference). UW's 50% tuition reduction for veterans is just too much to beat. It was good for my ego to be admitted, but meh. I hate that entire geographic area.


How did you get accepted from the WL so early??? I'd love to know your secret!


No idea? I'd like to think it was a combination of my softs (they seemed to really love my military combat experience) and my GPA (4.10 LSAC). In actuality, who the hell knows what goes on in law school admissions.

How does BU accept me but BC ding me, when BU is many ranks higher with more stringent acceptance criteria?

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:54 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:In: UC Davis, UC Hastings, U Wash ($), BU, Cardozo, Pacific ($$$$), UVA, Minnesota
WL: UCLA, USC, Penn
Out: BC, Stanford, Cornell
hold: Northwestern
Comm Review: Boalt

D:


Aggie you got into UVA? Nice! But are you still leaning toward UW? I would go to UVA, but that's just my personal preference.


Yeah they took me off the wait-list and admitted me. I am not at all interested in going. I'd rather shove nails under my fingernails than ever live in the south, and I just don't believe UVA would offer me the same opportunity to practice on the west coast that UW does (not
to mention the price tag difference). UW's 50% tuition reduction for veterans is just too
much to beat. It was good for my ego to be admitted, but meh. I hate that entire
geographic area.


How did you get accepted from the WL so early??? I'd love to know your secret!


Maybe UVA will be better with the WL this year due to the lower amount of applications. But
yeah, 1/2 tuition at a school in an area you want to practice in is difficult to beat.

And BC is weird. They lean towards more conservative students as well I think. Some schools if they don't think you are a fit and therefore won't go to their school will WL or ding you.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
No idea? I'd like to think it was a combination of my softs (they seemed to really love my military combat experience) and my GPA (4.10 LSAC). In actuality, who the hell knows what goes on in law school admissions.

How does BU accept me but BC ding me, when BU is many ranks higher with more stringent acceptance criteria?


Did you write them a LOCI? I'm guessing not since you aren't too interested in the school. I'm thinking about writing them a LOCI, but I wrote a Why UVA right before they gave me the WL (to try and get them to make a decision quicker). So I feel like I could overdo it by sending a LOCI so soon.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:56 pm

How much more conservative can you get than a card-carrying member of a Taliban/Al-Qaeda destroying unit? Sheesh.

But yea in all seriousness, it is probably because I wrote my PS on diversity and how I learned I wanted to work with people while in the military. I can see how a Jesuit school would be like, "ew no". Same way I got WL'd at W&L, I suppose.

But, yeah, I mean... can you turn down ~$11,000 a year? UW has a really huge presence in Sea Tac and the PNW in general, and seems to do decently in California (not that I ever want to come back, this state is fucked up) and I don't really care about Big Law regardless.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:57 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
No idea? I'd like to think it was a combination of my softs (they seemed to really love my military combat experience) and my GPA (4.10 LSAC). In actuality, who the hell knows what goes on in law school admissions.

How does BU accept me but BC ding me, when BU is many ranks higher with more stringent acceptance criteria?


Did you write them a LOCI? I'm guessing not since you aren't too interested in the school. I'm thinking about writing them a LOCI, but I wrote a Why UVA right before they gave me the WL (to try and get them to make a decision quicker). So I feel like I could overdo it by sending a LOCI so soon.


Actually, I did. I did so because, at the time, I was very rank-aware (read: rank whore) and just wanted the best rank #. In retrospect, if I had to apply over again, I would totally not send a lot of the apps that I did just because I really do not want to go there (UIUC comes to mind).

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Gemini » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:58 pm

It sounds like some reverse-splitters are having awesome cycles!

Aggie, stop complaining about BC's rejection! I would love to have just ONE of them accept me (especially BU).

And I didn't even know you got into UVa, that's really awesome, whether you go or not! Congrats!

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
No idea? I'd like to think it was a combination of my softs (they seemed to really love my military combat experience) and my GPA (4.10 LSAC). In actuality, who the hell knows what goes on in law school admissions.

How does BU accept me but BC ding me, when BU is many ranks higher with more stringent acceptance criteria?


Did you write them a LOCI? I'm guessing not since you aren't too interested in the school. I'm thinking about writing them a LOCI, but I wrote a Why UVA right before they gave me the WL (to try and get them to make a decision quicker). So I feel like I could overdo it by sending a LOCI so soon.


Actually, I did. I did so because, at the time, I was very rank-aware (read: rank whore) and just wanted the best rank #. In retrospect, if I had to apply over again, I would totally not send a lot of the apps that I did just because I really do not want to go there (UIUC comes to mind).


I want to write a LOCI, but I'm not sure what to include since I have written a Why UVA already. Plus, I kind of don't want to give a grade update because I made my first B in grad school, so my grad GPA actually went down from a 4.0. It's kind of tricky here.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:03 pm

I ED to UVA so I didn't think I needed to write an LOCI. Now I am thinking I should do one. It would be cycle over for me if I got in.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Gemini wrote:It sounds like some reverse-splitters are having awesome cycles!

Aggie, stop complaining about BC's rejection! I would love to have just ONE of them accept me (especially BU).

And I didn't even know you got into UVa, that's really awesome, whether you go or not! Congrats!


Heh, yeah I know Gem I'm sorry for complaining about it. I hate to be one of "those" people (cough*philly*cough ;)).

I haven't been posting much on TLS. I guess I kinda figure my cycle's over with the UW acceptance. Hubby and I are flying up there at the end of next week to check out Seattle and look at apartments. He's thrilled b/c UW Pharmacy is one of the best schools in the country, and they have their pharmacy students take classes with their medical school students (and their med school is always in the top 10 medical schools, and has the #1 primary care program as ranked by USNWR) so yeah... good all around.

Snowmageddon is also making me lean realllllly far away from anywhere away from the west coast D:

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby mettasutta » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:14 pm

I suppose I belong here. I'm Gem's numbers twin with a 3.82/164.

Accepted to William and Mary with scholly on 01/19! Still waiting on Temple, BC, BU, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. Also threw apps to Vandy, Cornell, Duke, UVA, Northwestern, and Georgetown (PT), even though I'm aware they're super reaches.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Gemini » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:18 pm

mettasutta wrote:I suppose I belong here. I'm Gem's numbers twin with a 3.82/164.

Accepted to William and Mary with scholly on 01/19! Still waiting on Temple, BC, BU, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. Also threw apps to Vandy, Cornell, Duke, UVA, Northwestern, and Georgetown (PT), even though I'm aware they're super reaches.


Hey! :mrgreen:

When did you send in your apps to Vandy, Cornell, etc?

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby mettasutta » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Gemini wrote:
mettasutta wrote:I suppose I belong here. I'm Gem's numbers twin with a 3.82/164.

Accepted to William and Mary with scholly on 01/19! Still waiting on Temple, BC, BU, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. Also threw apps to Vandy, Cornell, Duke, UVA, Northwestern, and Georgetown (PT), even though I'm aware they're super reaches.


Hey! :mrgreen:

When did you send in your apps to Vandy, Cornell, etc?


I sent them all in early to mid-January.

User avatar
swimmergirl1303
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Gemini wrote:It sounds like some reverse-splitters are having awesome cycles!

Aggie, stop complaining about BC's rejection! I would love to have just ONE of them accept me (especially BU).

And I didn't even know you got into UVa, that's really awesome, whether you go or not! Congrats!


Heh, yeah I know Gem I'm sorry for complaining about it. I hate to be one of "those" people (cough*philly*cough ;)).

I haven't been posting much on TLS. I guess I kinda figure my cycle's over with the UW acceptance. Hubby and I are flying up there at the end of next week to check out Seattle and look at apartments. He's thrilled b/c UW Pharmacy is one of the best schools in the country, and they have their pharmacy students take classes with their medical school students (and their med school is always in the top 10 medical schools, and has the #1 primary care program as ranked by USNWR) so yeah... good all around.

Snowmageddon is also making me lean realllllly far away from anywhere away from the west coast D:



That's so exciting Aggie! Seattle is gorgeous! Do you mind PMing me what you included in your LOCI to UVA? I would love some suggestions! :)

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Gemini » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:00 pm

*sigh* I'm feeling supremely shitty with each day that goes by without a BU or at least BC acceptance. Am losing all hope.

Sadness. :cry:

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby subtle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Rev. splitter love at BU!

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:28 am

subtle wrote:Rev. splitter love at BU!


CONGRATS!

Ps Gemini I hope you get an acceptance from BU or BC very soon!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Bump!

Well, the ding at Boalt off committee review today pretty much seals my cycle, unless Northwestern sweeps in and takes me off Hold, I will be taking UW @ 50% off (11k a year, ohhh baby).

How're the rest of you guys doing?

User avatar
lilliea
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby lilliea » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Quick update: most of my responses have been dings lately, but I did get into McGill up north, which I'm extremely happy about. Congrats to aggie and all who have gotten some amazing acceptances!

mikstew
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby mikstew » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:00 pm

lilliea wrote:Quick update: most of my responses have been dings lately, but I did get into McGill up north, which I'm extremely happy about. Congrats to aggie and all who have gotten some amazing acceptances!


McGill is a good school, arguably one of the top law schools in Canada alongside York and UBC. Congrats.

I'm a rev splitter with 3.9/165 and I only made two apps, one to Berkeley and one to SLS. UR since 1/25 and not a peep since from either one D:

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Gotti » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 pm

mikstew wrote:
lilliea wrote:Quick update: most of my responses have been dings lately, but I did get into McGill up north, which I'm extremely happy about. Congrats to aggie and all who have gotten some amazing acceptances!


McGill is a good school, arguably one of the top law schools in Canada alongside York and UBC. Congrats.

I'm a rev splitter with 3.9/165 and I only made two apps, one to Berkeley and one to SLS. UR since 1/25 and not a peep since from either one D:

you applied only to 2 of the 3 most selective schools in the country with a 165? Are you a URM?
If not, then no offense but both of those are long shots. Are you planning on retaking if you get dinged at both?

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby subtle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Waitlisted at Penn. A little disappointed. It was one of my top choices when I started this whole process, but I'm not sure I would go now, so I don't think I'll be accepting the invitation to the waitlist. P.S. Who invites you to the waitlist?

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Gotti » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 pm

subtle wrote:Waitlisted at Penn. A little disappointed. It was one of my top choices when I started this whole process, but I'm not sure I would go now, so I don't think I'll be accepting the invitation to the waitlist. P.S. Who invites you to the waitlist?

NYU > Penn

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby subtle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Gotti wrote:
subtle wrote:Waitlisted at Penn. A little disappointed. It was one of my top choices when I started this whole process, but I'm not sure I would go now, so I don't think I'll be accepting the invitation to the waitlist. P.S. Who invites you to the waitlist?

NYU > Penn


That's why I don't want to put myself on the WL for Penn.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby subtle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:58 am

Help! I know that my decision is ultimately up to me, but I like you guys and would like your input:

Barring a game changer (Yale, Harvard, Columbia--which are far-fetched, I know) I am leaning heavily toward NYU. But, I just got my acceptance packet from BU in the mail, and they're offering $35K per year. I don't really want to go to school for money. (I turned down where I really wanted to go for undergrad in order to go to Michigan because they gave me money, and, while I didn't hate Michigan, I regret my choice.) But, I don't know how to justify turning down money.

Thoughts?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eageragnostic, Nickel94 and 8 guests