Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:42 am

What LSAT?

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:48 am

She has a 3.8 GPA and a 144/142.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 am

subtle wrote:She has a 3.8 GPA and a 144/142.
Damn, she's gotta pull up that LSAT, if possible. For us reverse splitters, it's the one thing holding us back.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:53 am

She's tried. I mean, she took a class before taking it the first time and got the 144. So she took a class again and got a 142 the second time. She has always tested poorly. She BOMBED her SAT going into undergrad, and pulled off a 3.8. She's not necessarily brilliant, but she's by no means dumb. And, she works really, really hard. I just hate that she tests so poorly, and it's going to hold her back after all of her hard work.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:57 am

subtle wrote:She's tried. I mean, she took a class before taking it the first time and got the 144. So she took a class again and got a 142 the second time. She has always tested poorly. She BOMBED her SAT going into undergrad, and pulled off a 3.8. She's not necessarily brilliant, but she's by no means dumb. And, she works really, really hard. I just hate that she tests so poorly, and it's going to hold her back after all of her hard work.
hmm. maybe she could try a tutor or a different avenue (PS bibles, a different class)? I have a family friend who is in the same situation (140 is highest score after 2 testings), and she's sadly deciding not to go the law school route anymore after getting rejected from Pace, even though she is a good student otherwise with a high GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:00 am

splitter checking in 179/3.3

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:01 am

sojasoph wrote:splitter checking in 179/3.3
This is a REVERSE splitter thread. Reverse splitter= Low LSAT, high GPA. Example: I'm a 3.95/157. You are the exact opposite.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:03 am

We'll see. I'm really routing for her. She has some strong recommenders. She's going to go back to them and ask them to talk to the school she's waitlisted at (they're alums). You know, it's not like she did nothing with her time in undergrad. She wrote a thesis, interned in DC, and interned in a DA's office. I'm really hoping she can pull it off. I told her to consider taking the year off to work, study again and see how the score comes out, and reapply next fall. She said she's considering it. Her parents agreed to get her a private tutor. They won't agree to her taking a year off to work though. They said if she takes a year off, she has to go to grad school. (Why they want to foot the bill for grad school and then law school instead of having her just work for a year or two is beyond me, but her parents have never made very much sense to me.)

What makes it even shittier is she's the middle child so she already feels kind of inadequate, and her older sister goes to Columbia for law school. =/

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 am

DCLaw11 wrote:
This is a REVERSE splitter thread. Reverse splitter= Low LSAT, high GPA. Example: I'm a 3.95/157. You are the exact opposite.
cool story bro

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:06 am

subtle wrote:We'll see. I'm really routing for her. She has some strong recommenders. She's going to go back to them and ask them to talk to the school she's waitlisted at (they're alums). You know, it's not like she did nothing with her time in undergrad. She wrote a thesis, interned in DC, and interned in a DA's office. I'm really hoping she can pull it off. I told her to consider taking the year off to work, study again and see how the score comes out, and reapply next fall. She said she's considering it. Her parents agreed to get her a private tutor. They won't agree to her taking a year off to work though. They said if she takes a year off, she has to go to grad school. (Why they want to foot the bill for grad school and then law school instead of having her just work for a year or two is beyond me, but her parents have never made very much sense to me.)

What makes it even shittier is she's the middle child so she already feels kind of inadequate, and her older sister goes to Columbia for law school. =/
That's how it goes with the LSAT, it seems. No good score = no good chance. Her best prospects to get into any law school are retake no matter what. And, stay in touch with the people at Seton.
Last edited by DeeCee on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:07 am

sojasoph wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
cool story bro
Not a bro, check my profile. You should pay attention to the threads, rather than posting to up your numbers.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:12 am

Yeah, I know. Her other option is this:

She's got some pretty good connections. Suck it up and go to Cooley (where she was admitted) and use the connections to get her jobs when she comes out and then move later in life. I mean, my mom is likely headed out east after my brother graduates because the person she's working directly under is headed out east and wants to take her with him. It has nothing to do with where she went to law school, or even undergrad. She's just going to have to work harder to make use of her connections, you know?

I don't know. I'm sharing all of this because my heart sank when she told me tonight that she didn't get into Seton Hall. I'm not feeling optimistic about Rutgers or St. John's.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:18 am

subtle wrote:Yeah, I know. Her other option is this:

She's got some pretty good connections. Suck it up and go to Cooley (where she was admitted) and use the connections to get her jobs when she comes out and then move later in life. I mean, my mom is likely headed out east after my brother graduates because the person she's working directly under is headed out east and wants to take her with him. It has nothing to do with where she went to law school, or even undergrad. She's just going to have to work harder to make use of her connections, you know?

I don't know. I'm sharing all of this because my heart sank when she told me tonight that she didn't get into Seton Hall. I'm not feeling optimistic about Rutgers or St. John's.
Sadly, if you repeat that here, people will make fun of Cooley, or just be harsh and tell you your friend has no business going to law school. Also, law school degree prestige is directly related to job opportunity. If she goes to Cooley she will only be able to work in Michigan, and that school is not taken seriously by most employers.

But, if she has connections like you say and can get a job right out of law school with connections, then obviously the school in which the degree comes from will not be important, as her connection will know her. If she wants to make it on her own, Seton Hall, or most any other school will be better for her to attend because Cooley does not have a good rep nationwide.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:24 am

1. Yeah, I know. I've noticed people's comments about Cooley. Also, I can't say that Cooley is taken seriously here either (I certainly don't take it seriously). I just happen to know more than a few people who are Cooley alums and have done well for themselves (admittedly, in Michigan). The thing is she just doesn't want to be in Michigan, but she wants to be a lawyer. So it's looking like her options will be suck it up and stay in Michigan, build up enough of a career, and maybe move out east later in life, or don't be a lawyer.
2. I know about the nationwide vs. Michigan thing. But, at this point, I don't think she has much choice but to rely on the people we know/knew growing up.
3. I really need to go to bed. I'm sad I discovered this forum. It's unnecessarily addictive.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:27 am

subtle wrote:1. Yeah, I know. I've noticed people's comments about Cooley. Also, I can't say that Cooley is taken seriously here either (I certainly don't take it seriously). I just happen to know more than a few people who are Cooley alums and have done well for themselves (admittedly, in Michigan). The thing is she just doesn't want to be in Michigan, but she wants to be a lawyer. So it's looking like her options will be suck it up and stay in Michigan, build up enough of a career, and maybe move out east later in life, or don't be a lawyer.
2. I know about the nationwide vs. Michigan thing. But, at this point, I don't think she has much choice but to rely on the people we know/knew growing up.
3. I really need to go to bed. I'm sad I discovered this forum. It's unnecessarily addictive.
You're right about #2. Stay in Michigan, or perhaps retake the third time, or don't go. LOL about #3. I've been putting off writing my master's thesis for several days just because I was on here.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:29 am

Replace masters thesis with honors thesis and you've got my life. And for real, I'm going to bed now. I have to work in the morning and pretend to do work on the thesis so they can give me my honors degree. (Pfft.)

minky

New

how much did ppl study?

Post by minky » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:02 am

this may seem random, but how much did ppl study for the lsat? were ppl working full time or part time and studying, took time off to study, took a prep class, studied one month? three months? etc. i struggled A LOT w/ the lsat but i ended up taking time off from work which helped, but then of course not everyone can do that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 am

retake

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 am

minky wrote:this may seem random, but how much did ppl study for the lsat? were ppl working full time or part time and studying, took time off to study, took a prep class, studied one month? three months? etc. i struggled A LOT w/ the lsat but i ended up taking time off from work which helped, but then of course not everyone can do that.
I took it twice. The first time I didn't study nearly enough. The second time I studied as much as I could. I did around 14 PT's. 4 were 5 full-length exams. However, I was doing an honors thesis at the time and up until April was training for the Boston Marathon. I don't think I went over the PT's as thoroughly as I could. Toward the end of the studying period, I did have a couple of breakthrough exams with a 170 and 173, but my test results were within my PT average (161-167).

After the Boston Marathon I definitely had more time to study for the LSAT in June. I basically ignored my classes during the last quarter, other than the honors thesis, leading to my first ever B in college. I did go to all the classes though, which probably helped saved my grades in the other classes. But I only took 12 units. Also I worked part-time.

So, I probably could retake and study even more. But, I am in zero debt from undergrad, and I want to stop living off my parent's money as soon as possible. I do not want big law, I am planning on doing PI. I am not sure which school would be best for that. W&L? GMU? Loyola so I leave with little debt, provided I stay in the top 30%?

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
minky wrote:this may seem random, but how much did ppl study for the lsat? were ppl working full time or part time and studying, took time off to study, took a prep class, studied one month? three months? etc. i struggled A LOT w/ the lsat but i ended up taking time off from work which helped, but then of course not everyone can do that.
I took it twice. The first time I didn't study nearly enough. The second time I studied as much as I could. I did around 14 PT's. 4 were 5 full-length exams. However, I was doing an honors thesis at the time and up until April was training for the Boston Marathon. I don't think I went over the PT's as thoroughly as I could. Toward the end of the studying period, I did have a couple of breakthrough exams with a 170 and 173, but my test results were within my PT average (161-167).

After the Boston Marathon I definitely had more time to study for the LSAT in June. I basically ignored my classes during the last quarter, other than the honors thesis, leading to my first ever B in college. I did go to all the classes though, which probably helped saved my grades in the other classes. But I only took 12 units. Also I worked part-time.

So, I probably could retake and study even more. But, I am in zero debt from undergrad, and I want to stop living off my parent's money as soon as possible. I do not want big law, I am planning on doing PI. I am not sure which school would be best for that. W&L? GMU? Loyola so I leave with little debt, provided I stay in the top 30%?

W&L is my top choice so far - and from what I have read, they have a pretty good LRAP. Are you planning on going to any ASWs? I too am 0-debt from UG, so I think that helps a lot with our decision. Hopefully the scholly news is good today!

http://law.wlu.edu/career/page.asp?pageid=817

Edited to include W&L LRAP site
Last edited by gov on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 am

govorett wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

W&L is my top choice so far - and from what I have read, they have a pretty good LRAP. Are you planning on going to any ASWs? I too am 0-debt from UG, so I think that helps a lot with our decision. Hopefully the scholly news is good today!
Going to the ASW in March for W&L. So far it is definitely one of my top choices, if not the very top. I've heard about the LRAP as well.

I am hoping for good news today in terms of scholarships, but not too hopeful. Apparently people with my #'s got shut out last year.

However, W&L gives a good amount of scholarship $ at 67%. I looked at the profiles on LSAC for schools such as GMU & American, and they give less than 25% of their students aid. W&M gives around 50% of the students aid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 am

Going to the ASW in March for W&L. So far it is definitely one of my top choices, if not the very top. I've heard about the LRAP as well.

I am hoping for good news today in terms of scholarships, but not too hopeful. Apparently people with my #'s got shut out last year.

However, W&L gives a good amount of scholarship $ at 67%. I looked at the profiles on LSAC for schools such as GMU & American, and they give less than 25% of their students aid. W&M gives around 50% of the students aid.
Well, fingers crossed that they are trying to bring up the GPA median :)!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 am

sojasoph wrote:retake
Troll. GTFO.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:18 am

subtle wrote:1. Yeah, I know. I've noticed people's comments about Cooley. Also, I can't say that Cooley is taken seriously here either (I certainly don't take it seriously). I just happen to know more than a few people who are Cooley alums and have done well for themselves (admittedly, in Michigan). The thing is she just doesn't want to be in Michigan, but she wants to be a lawyer. So it's looking like her options will be suck it up and stay in Michigan, build up enough of a career, and maybe move out east later in life, or don't be a lawyer.
I feel like your problems or your friends' problem needs its own thread and shouldn't monopolize this one. I'm not trying to be mean. I just think that how to study for LSAT is a completely different topic.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:41 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
I feel like your problems or your friends' problem needs its own thread and shouldn't monopolize this one. I'm not trying to be mean. I just think that how to study for LSAT is a completely different topic.

Uhm. "Not trying to mean but" = I'm about to be mean, but you should listen to me anyway.

The question about how to study for the LSAT came up after the conversation about my friend was already done (which, you've not resurrected, so good job on that one).

This thread is about reverse splitters. She's an extreme reverse splitter (with a 3.8 and a 144/142). Regardless, I put it here because she told me that she'd been rejected not too long before I posted it.

Also, less than one page hardly = monopolizing a thread. You should probably look up the definition of monopoly if you think it i.
Last edited by subtle on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”