Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gotti

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Gotti » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Fordham has housing. You get to live in an apartment for about 8,000 per semester, which breaks down to about 1600 a month.

In this apt will live 2 other people.

Sad but true. And there are rules, according to some Fordham people. People must sign out by a certain time, etc.
Only good thing is that it's directly connected to the law school so you don't even need to go outside to get to class. BUT I enjoy fresh air lol.

But I'd prefer a 2BR apartment with a fellow student not too far away. It would be less than 1600 each, thats for sure.

Yeah omg for $1600 I want my own damn place or at least a really big room lol. I wouldn't mind taking the train from a cheaper area. My homegirl went to NYU and she just got a place on like 160th (or higher) for a bigass room for $900. It's far but whatever, I'd rather spend $700 less per month and commute. At least it's not driving...

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:51 pm

RJ127 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
I just want to gtfo of cali, to be honest. I love NYC so much and I really want to live there. I'm only going to retake if necessary (WLs from NYU, NU, etc.). I wouldn't mind going to Fordham at all if I can get in. I basically want to live in a large urban metropolis so DC, Chicago, NYC, etc. have a very strong pull for me.

Wait, San Francisco and Los Angeles are small urban metropolises? I've been to DC, Chicago, and NYC and while NYC is the biggest of all of them, SF has plenty "urban metropolis" about it. Unless you mean urban metropolis outside of CA, in which case, I concede the point.

If we both get into NU, first 10 rounds of drinks are on me. (Especially since my tuition will be basically nil, sweeeeeet)!!

SF is a major urban center but LA (where I'm from) is more of a scattered metropolis. Not centralized at all. Requires a vehicle to travel from area to area whereas your more common large urban metro centers are somewhat connected by a rapid transit system. LA was originally planned to function as a metro area like Sf, Chicago, NY, etc but GM bought out
the planned subway system due to the potential impact on vehicle sales. Capitalism,

Point being, I too desire to get out of So Cal to experience a large urban city (and seasons). Chicago and NYC are very desirable at this point.

For me I would ideally love to get out and go to DC or Boston. I love those cities. Never been to NY or Chicago. Didn't apply there either.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Gotti wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Fordham has housing. You get to live in an apartment for about 8,000 per semester, which breaks down to about 1600 a month.

Sad but true. And there are rules, according to some Fordham people. People must sign out by a certain time, etc.
Only good thing is that it's directly connected to the law school so you don't even need to go outside to get to class. BUT I enjoy fresh air lol.

But I'd prefer a 2BR apartment with a fellow student not too far away. It would be less than 1600 each, thats for sure.

Yeah omg for $1600 I want my own damn place or at least a really big room lol. I wouldn't mind taking the train from a cheaper area. My homegirl went to NYU and she just got a place on like 160th (or higher) for a bigass room for $900. It's far but whatever, I'd rather spend $700 less per month and commute. At least it's not driving...

Upper upper west side is Harlem and not the safest, hence why it's cheap. But the GOOD news is that the train along that side, the 1, take you DIRECTLY down to Fordham. No transfers necessary. That's still far away though... but definitely not more than 30-40 min on the train.

And yessss, Boston! That's where I really want to go.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Yeah omg for $1600 I want my own damn place or at least a really big room lol. I wouldn't
mind taking the train from a cheaper area. My homegirl went to NYU and she just got a place on like 160th (or higher) for a bigass room for $900. It's far but whatever, I'd rather spend $700 less per month and commute. At least it's not driving...

Upper upper west side is Harlem and not the safest, hence why it's cheap. But the GOOD
news is that the train along that side, the 1, take you DIRECTLY down to Fordham. No
transfers necessary. That's still far away though... but definitely not more than 30-40 min on
the train.

Here's hoping our Holds turn into acceptances!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Upper upper west side is Harlem and not the safest, hence why it's cheap. But the GOOD news is that the train along that side, the 1, take you DIRECTLY down to Fordham. No transfers necessary. That's still far away though... but definitely not more than 30-40 min on the train.

Yeah she lives like 10 blocks from Harlem but she says it's not a bad place to sit. Why do you wanna go to Boston so bad? I wanna get into BU but the law school is soooo ugly!!! well from the pictures i've seen. hahaha of course I'm not going to base my decision on looks of the school but pretty schools don't hurt :mrgreen:

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Gotti wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Upper upper west side is Harlem and not the safest, hence why it's cheap. But the GOOD news is that the train along that side, the 1, take you DIRECTLY down to Fordham. No transfers necessary. That's still far away though... but definitely not more than 30-40 min on the train.

Yeah she lives like 10 blocks from Harlem but she says it's not a bad place to sit. Why do you wanna go to Boston so bad? I wanna get into BU but the law school is soooo ugly!!! well from the pictures i've seen. hahaha of course I'm not going to base my decision on looks of the school but pretty schools don't hurt :mrgreen:

It's GORGEOUS from the inside. And tall. Great views... Fordham isn't that pretty either, though. :wink:

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Upper upper west side is Harlem and not the safest, hence why it's cheap. But the GOOD news is that the train along that side, the 1, take you DIRECTLY down to Fordham. No transfers necessary. That's still far away though... but definitely not more than 30-40 min on the train.

Harlem isn't really too bad anymore, but the 1 train is hell. I would be wary if you are planning on that being your commute every morning. The train is local, and it's always jam packed with people almost bursting out the doors. Plus, I have gotten into countless fights on the 1 train because of the NYC scum who rides that line.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Gotti wrote:

It's GORGEOUS from the inside. And tall. Great views... Fordham isn't that pretty either, though. :wink:

BC is gorgeous though, from what I've heard. The history of the city makes it really special too. It is also the site of the Boston Marathon. one of the biggest party days of the year.

Or for people like me, one of the biggest running events ever!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Harlem isn't really too bad anymore, but the 1 train is hell. I would be wary if you are planning on that being your commute every morning. The train is local, and it's always jam packed with people almost bursting out the doors. Plus, I have gotten into countless fights on the 1 train because of the NYC scum who rides that line.

Have we met? LOL.

Boston is more collegiate than NYC, I think.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 pm

WL @ UIUC. :(

Kinda figured, since there was a mix-up with me not taking the Dec LSAT but it being on record, and my file took forever to get to the admissions folks.

Oh well. =[[[[

gov

Postby gov » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:WL @ UIUC. :(

Kinda figured, since there was a mix-up with me not taking the Dec LSAT but it being on record, and my file took forever to get to the admissions folks.

Oh well. =[[[[

Join the club! Gotti and I are right there with you...
Last edited by gov on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:11 pm

govorett wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:WL @ UIUC. :(

Oh well. =[[[[

Join the club! Me and Gotti are right there with you...

unfortunately =( sorry boo!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Sorry Aggie!! That law school sucks anyway. It's like, next to a cornfield. In the middle of nowhere.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Sorry Aggie!! That law school sucks anyway. It's like, next to a cornfield. In the middle of nowhere.

hahah she shucked corn as a child, she doesn't mind

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Yep, I grew up in the midwest... cornfields and "rurality" don't bother me. I PREFER to work and live in California, near a big city, but not in one. I just have a high tolerance for "crappy stuff", actually due more to my military experience than my upbringing, probably. I dunno...

Well, thanks guys. :D

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Gotti wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Sorry Aggie!! That law school sucks anyway. It's like, next to a cornfield. In the middle of nowhere.

hahah she shucked corn as a child, she doesn't mind

It doesn't matter, lol. Once they WL/reject you, it's time to find any and all reasons to WL/reject them right back. :wink:

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Yep, I grew up in the midwest... cornfields and "rurality" don't bother me. I PREFER to work and live in California, near a big city, but not in one. I just have a high tolerance for "crappy stuff", actually due more to my military experience than my upbringing, probably. I dunno...

Well, thanks guys. :D

aww I'm sorry Aggie. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you for the rest of your cycle!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks all... I am still holding out hope on coming off UCLA's WL, but that's not too likely. I am happy with Hastings, so if that's where I end up at the end of this cycle I won't complain.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Ding @ Penn. Totally expected that one.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Ding @ Penn. Totally expected that one.

:(

This has been either

a) a shitty week

or

b) a slow week

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:29 pm

+1

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:

This has been either

a) a shitty week

or

b) a slow week

Definitely the former. LOL... oh well, it's cool, I've made peace with going to Hastings. I have a nice savings for graduate school and we both live pretty frugally while we're in school... so whatever I guess. I love San Francisco :D

danicalifornia

Postby danicalifornia » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:16 pm

Go Hastings!! Are you planning on going to an ASW, Aggie? I still CANNOT get over how nice the people in the admissions office are!!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:20 am

danicalifornia wrote:Go Hastings!! Are you planning on going to an ASW, Aggie? I still CANNOT get over how nice the people in the admissions office are!!

Not sure yet... I haven't gotten my "big packet" yet, just the "ding sized" envelope, so I'm not sure of the details and how they'll interact with my already jam-packed schedule these next 2 quarters. Honors theses don't write themselves. LOL X:

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

This has been either

a) a shitty week

or

b) a slow week

Definitely the former. LOL... oh well, it's cool, I've made peace with going to Hastings. I have a nice savings for graduate school and we both live pretty frugally while we're in
school... so whatever I guess. I love San Francisco :D

Sorry about Penn and UIUC Aggie. But +1 on SF's awesomeness. Beats LA by a mile.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”