Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Spinozist21

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:47 am

Well just to update those of you who dont really care :lol: :lol: :lol: I was waitlisted today at WL...oh well...I will make a strong run at their waitlist, but the chances are small...I doubt they even looked at my LSAT addendum that I sent them today...I just didn't expect a decision in 2 days.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:49 am

Aggie, I'm sure you will hear something very soon - a good number of acceptances don't go out until Jan, especially for the CA schools, particularly Davis and Hastings, both of which seem on the slower side).

Gah, I'd like to think so but sitting around while everyone else is racking up acceptances is so harsh. UoP McGeorge hasn't even flipping accepted me yet and I blow their 75ths out of the water, and to everyone's knowledge, they don't even practice YP (And people with inferior #'s and inferior softs have been admitted already...) so I just don't know. It's making me concerned that I made a huge error on my PS or on my application(s), and/or that one or more of my Evals+LoRs was negative (Although I can't honestly see how that'd be possible as I chose my letter writers *very* carefully).

Le. Sigh.

I know Davis and Hastings are slow, and I'm not too worried about them. I am kind of bothered that Boston College, who has started accepting people (according to the thread) hasn't even nibbled at me even though I am nearly @ median for LSAT and way above 75th on GPA, and while I know I'm a huge reach to UCLA (I ED'd), I would have thought by now, they'd have rejected me at least. They're going to stretch my ED all the way out to the bitter end of the deadline I suspect. So much for "early." LOL =-/

I'll just keep on checking my 11 status checkers 3 times a day until something changes I guess. Keep this thread poppin'.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:51 am

Spinozist21 wrote:Well just to update those of you who dont really care :lol: :lol: :lol: I was waitlisted today at WL...oh well...I will make a strong run at their waitlist, but the chances are small...I doubt they even looked at my LSAT addendum that I sent them today...I just didn't expect a decision in 2 days.

Just send that LOCI, and take a loan out from a sibling or other family member and visit. That's probably the best way to make a strong showing to get bumped off the WL.

I'd rather have a decision and know where I stand in 2 days than sit on simmer until March, you know? At least you know where you're at and what you need to do (Start groveling) as opposed to just stewing!

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:56 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:Well just to update those of you who dont really care :lol: :lol: :lol: I was waitlisted today at WL...oh well...I will make a strong run at their waitlist, but the chances are small...I doubt they even looked at my LSAT addendum that I sent them today...I just didn't expect a decision in 2 days.

Just send that LOCI, and take a loan out from a sibling or other family member and visit. That's probably the best way to make a strong showing to get bumped off the WL.

I'd rather have a decision and know where I stand in 2 days than sit on simmer until March, you know? At least you know where you're at and what you need to do (Start groveling) as opposed to just stewing!

I think I am going to write their additional/optional essay...and then set up an individual visit. Money really wouldn't be the big concern...time would be.

Its just that I really am an obsessive planner and so not knowing if I am/would be going to WL until very late in the cycle kinda sucks.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:58 am

Does anyone know whether if, in fact, WL didn't have a chance to look at my addendum it I could ask them to take a look at it and possibly revise their decision? Not that my addendum is really that amazing or anything...but who knows. :lol:

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:00 am

Spinozist21 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

I think I am going to write their additional/optional essay...and then set up an individual visit. Money really wouldn't be the big concern...time would be.

Its just that I really am an obsessive planner and so not knowing if I am/would be going to WL until very late in the cycle kinda sucks.

I totally understand the obsessive issue. My Northwestern interviewer actually mentioned that in her experience, almost all law school applicants are neurotic, detail obsessed and totally off the deep end on planning. I want to start planning for apartments, we need to trade in our sports car for something more snow-worthy if need be, work on current apartment mgr. to get us out of this existing lease prior to its termination (Which wouldn't be until October of next year - Obviously wasted money), et cetera.

That's why I'd at least like a WL/Reserve. Or even a denial, hell. I have this nifty spreadsheet LSP mock-up that I'd like to start using.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:02 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

I totally understand the obsessive issue. My Northwestern interviewer actually mentioned that in her experience, almost all law school applicants are neurotic, detail obsessed and totally off the deep end on planning. I want to start planning for apartments, we need to trade in our sports car for something more snow-worthy if need be, work on current apartment mgr. to get us out of this existing lease prior to its termination (Which wouldn't be until October of next year - Obviously wasted money), et cetera.

That's why I'd at least like a WL/Reserve. Or even a denial, hell. I have this nifty spreadsheet LSP mock-up that I'd like to start using.

Yes indeed...as a married applicant this becomes even more heightened I do believe.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:04 am

Not only married, but whose husband is also in a professional program and will need to transfer to a school (hopefully) near to my future law school.

So many variables. I hate them!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:07 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Aggie, I'm sure you will hear something very soon - a good number of acceptances don't go out until Jan, especially for the CA schools, particularly Davis and Hastings, both of which seem on the slower side).

Gah, I'd like to think so but sitting around while everyone else is racking up acceptances is so harsh. UoP McGeorge hasn't even flipping accepted me yet and I blow their 75ths out of the water, and to everyone's knowledge, they don't even practice YP (And people with inferior #'s and inferior softs have been admitted already...) so I just don't know. It's making me concerned that I made a huge error on my PS or on my application(s), and/or that one or more of my Evals+LoRs was negative (Although I can't honestly see how that'd be possible as I chose my letter writers *very* carefully).

Le. Sigh.

I know Davis and Hastings are slow, and I'm not too worried about them. I am kind of bothered that Boston College, who has started accepting people (according to the thread) hasn't even nibbled at me even though I am nearly @ median for LSAT and way above 75th on GPA, and while I know I'm a huge reach to UCLA (I ED'd), I would have thought by now, they'd have rejected me at least. They're going to stretch my ED all the way out to the bitter end of the deadline I suspect. So much for "early." LOL =-/

I'll just keep on checking my 11 status checkers 3 times a day until something changes I guess. Keep this thread poppin'.

I understand...

On the bright side, I think a lot of decisions for BC go out on the third week of December according to the TLS graphs.
So hopefully we will hear something on them before Christmas!

That would be an awesome Christmas present :)
*Crosses fingers*

Also, Aggie where are you and your husband located now? Like what is your #1 choice?

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:16 am

I understand...

On the bright side, I think a lot of decisions for BC go out on the third week of December according to the TLS graphs.

*Crosses fingers*

Also, Aggie where are you and your husband located now? Like what is your #1 choice?

Yes, any acceptance would be amazing, but an acceptance from somewhere at a higher rank than #30 would be *splendiferous* for Christmas. I would SO put the letter underneath the tree, and if it was an e-mail, I'd print it out, and if it was just a status checker change, I'd print THAT out. Heck yeah.

We're still in the Davis area because I'm finishing my undergraduate up. I had a bit of a weird path because I went HS---->Army---->UG--->LS instead of the more "typical" HS--->UG ----> Army ----> LS path that I see more often from people around my age and experience level. In terms of #1 pick? Hard to say. Hubby and I already agreed that we both have to maximize our careers with no forthright sacrifice (because that always, always leads to someone being bitter later...) so ideally I'd like us to be together (which would mean Davis, Hastings, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA - Basically, CA schools, perhaps UW also since Seattle is only a couple hrs. by plane from Sacramento) but we've agreed that if, by the grace of all that is sacred, someone like COrnell, UVA, or Northwestern accepts me, I have free reign to move there by myself to pursue law. He'll catch up with me when he's done, if it comes to that. One good thing about pharm. school is that they are much more willing to allow transfers than in law school, mostly because there's a lack of an agreed upon rank structure. One pharmacy school is as good as the next (imagine that?) and curricula are fairly standard across the nation... so if I get in somewhere (e.g. Northwestern) with a nearby pharmacy school we can still be together.

That was quite long-winded, I realize, and I apologize. I'm just a bit nerve-wracked, sleep-deprived, and nerve-wracked. Wait, I said that already... Ayyy. =-/ I also realize I didn't directly answer your question: My ABSOLUTE #1 pick, that I'd forego EVERYONE else for if they offered it, (and realistic of course, not HYS) would be Northwestern. I adore Chicago and the "personality" and mission of the school just perfectly synchronizes with what I want out of law school.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:28 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
I understand...

*Crosses fingers*

Yes, any acceptance would be amazing, but an acceptance from somewhere at a higher rank than #30 would be *splendiferous* for Christmas. I would SO put the letter underneath the tree, and if it was an e-mail, I'd print it out, and if it was just a status checker change, I'd print THAT out. Heck yeah.

We're still in the Davis area because I'm finishing my undergraduate up. I had a bit of a weird path because I went HS---->Army---->UG--->LS instead of the more "typical" HS--->UG ----> Army ----> LS path that I see more often from people around my age and experience level. In terms of #1 pick? Hard to say. Hubby and I already agreed that we both have to maximize our careers with no forthright sacrifice (because that always, always leads to someone being bitter later...) so ideally I'd like us to be together (which would mean Davis, Hastings, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA - Basically, CA schools, perhaps UW also since Seattle is only a couple hrs. by plane from Sacramento) but we've agreed that if, by the grace of all that is sacred, someone like COrnell, UVA, or Northwestern accepts me, I have free reign to move there by myself to pursue law. He'll catch up with me when he's done, if it comes to that. One good thing about pharm. school is that they are much more willing to allow transfers than in law school, mostly because there's a lack of an agreed upon rank structure. One pharmacy school is as good as the next (imagine that?) and curricula are fairly standard across the nation... so if I get in somewhere (e.g. Northwestern) with a nearby pharmacy school we can still be together.

That was quite long-winded, I realize, and I apologize. I'm just a bit nerve-wracked, sleep-deprived, and nerve-wracked. Wait, I said that already... Ayyy. =-/ I also realize I didn't directly answer your question: My ABSOLUTE #1 pick, that I'd forego EVERYONE else for if they offered it, (and realistic of course, not HYS) would be Northwestern. I adore Chicago and the "personality" and mission of the school just perfectly synchronizes with what I want out of law school.

Nice. I have a friend at USC's Pharmacy school. I can understand being nerve-wracked, especially since finals are also coming up soon?? The last quarter before I graduated I got my first B ever in college thanks to my studying for the LSAT + senior honors thesis.

My absolute #1 I think would be Boalt, followed by USC (yeah right on both!) but I wouldn't mind ending up at any of the ones I applied to in the 20s-30s range.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:39 am

Must've been a slow day for us reverse splitters eh? LOL =/

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:48 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Must've been a slow day for us reverse splitters eh? LOL =/

I do not even know where/if I am in review currently...OSU, Case...nowhere else even wants to review me! :( :lol: :lol:

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:32 pm

For you W&L admits/holds, did you get a letter of some type prior to applying?

I just got a letter from a professor at W&L in the snail mail and, while it wasn't personalized to me (the envelope was just addressed to me), I found it odd because her type of law was focused on exactly what my interests are. I haven't applied to W&L so I thought this was a little odd. It's not a typical "Come to our law school" and it's not from the office of admissions proper. Weird? Or common? Worth throwing them an app for $12?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:

I do not even know where/if I am in review currently...OSU, Case...nowhere else even wants to review me! :( :lol: :lol:

In a few weeks, you'll be admitted to Pitt and this will all be moot! :D

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:For you W&L admits/holds, did you get a letter of some type prior to applying?

I just got a letter from a professor at W&L in the snail mail and, while it wasn't personalized to me (the envelope was just addressed to me), I found it odd because her type of law was focused on exactly what my interests are. I haven't applied to W&L so I thought this was a little odd. It's not a typical "Come to our law school" and it's not from the office of admissions proper. Weird? Or common? Worth throwing them an app for $12?

Yeah, I got that as well. I got a lot of emails from them too, and so did others if you look on the W&L Applicants thread.

I think it's worth it. LSP only had me at consider, and I was accepted. They supposedly take a more "holistic" approach with their admissions, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. Still I'm definitely below the median LSAT, and I think a decent # of reverse splitters have been accepted so far.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:48 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:For you W&L admits/holds, did you get a letter of some type prior to applying?

Yeah, I got that as well. I got a lot of emails from them too, and so did others if you look on the W&L Applicants thread.

I think it's worth it. LSP only had me at consider, and I was accepted. They supposedly take a more "holistic" approach with their admissions, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. Still I'm definitely below the median LSAT, and I think a decent # of reverse splitters have been accepted so far.

W&L has a very low median GPA in relation to their LSAT (below 3.5 I believe). They may be trying to raise it this year.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:53 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

W&L has a very low median GPA in relation to their LSAT (below 3.5 I believe). They may be trying to raise it this year.

Possibly. On LSN the lowest GPA they've admitted thus far is 3.0. That is good news for us reverse splitters with W&L.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:14 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:

In a few weeks, you'll be admitted to Pitt and this will all be moot! :D

idk man...im not sure about much right now.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:40 am

Do you guys think visiting after a WL makes a big impact? How would they even know who you are, anyway? Law schools probably get a lot of visitors...

onepass

Postby onepass » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:49 am

I'm not terribly certain about how W&L does things. The fact that they review applications so fast would lead me to believe that they are not necessarily as holistic as they claim. But, they might have a very streamlined process for reviewing applications. Also, from looking through LSN it seems that if you are a reverse splitter with a 160 or below you will just be waitlisted. Even having one extra point makes a bit of a difference as reverse splitters with 161 seem to garner more acceptances.

But, I am looking at the tiny tiny sample provided on LSN. It is stupid to try and find any type of trend from such small samples (I just have too much time on my hands). I honestly don't want to know the law school admissions process. It is probably so complicated that it would shatter my brain.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:57 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Do you guys think visiting after a WL makes a big impact? How would they even know who you are, anyway? Law schools probably get a lot of visitors...

Well I don't think it could hurt. It could also help you write a Why X essay, especially if you are stuck.

Plus, you can schedule tours and then some schools even have you meet with the admissions people.

Also for schools that don't have tours (UVA) you sign in with your name and LSAC #, so I think they know who you are. It's a bit different than those Law Forums where they are meeting lots of students all at once.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:20 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Do you guys think visiting after a WL makes a big impact? How would they even know who you are, anyway? Law schools probably get a lot of visitors...

It can have a minor impact. I know that Vanderbilt adds a note to your file when you visit.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:58 am

onepass wrote:I'm not terribly certain about how W&L does things. The fact that they review applications so fast would lead me to believe that they are not necessarily as holistic as they claim. But, they might have a very streamlined process for reviewing applications. Also, from looking through LSN it seems that if you are a reverse splitter with a 160 or below you will just be waitlisted. Even having one extra point makes a bit of a difference as reverse splitters with 161 seem to garner more acceptances.

But, I am looking at the tiny tiny sample provided on LSN. It is stupid to try and find any type of trend from such small samples (I just have too much time on my hands). I honestly don't want to know the law school admissions process. It is probably so complicated that it would shatter my brain.

My impression is that Waitlist= not a terrible candidate and if we had to have him/her we could live with it.

snowballgirl

Postby snowballgirl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:17 pm

In at Ohio State! I am glad I am getting some good news before all the bad news I am anticipating.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”