Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whymeohgodno

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
snowballgirl wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Good luck on your cycle! (BTW, what schools are you planning to apply?)

The list is in my profile - It's pretty long, but they were free, so why not? I had my interview at Northwestern (yay TSA screenings) not too long ago and the interviewer didn't seemed the slightest bit concerned about my LSAT given my GPA, CPE, letter of rec, and soft factors (and a history of leadership and project management).

I'll also be going to LS with my tuition and living expenses basically covered by the Yellow Ribbon Program (With some schools offering more than others, like UCLA who will essentially completely pay my tuition in tandem with the YRP) so if I end up at a lower tier 1 like UW or BC I won't be too perturbed.

Wow! That sounds pretty nice! I'm glad they have such programs for our military.

I got a fee waiver from Northwestern, but I was too afraid to apply. My softs are nice (grad work, work during college, publication, scholarships, awards, etc.) but I don't think they are enough to give me a fighting chance at any of the T14.

(Eek about the TSA screenings.)

You would have a hard time at Northwestern even with a higher LSAT score because you basically NEED work experience. 98% of last year's class had at least 2 years of full-time work experience either prior to university or afterward.

If I don't get into any T14 I won't be upset or surprised, except maybe Berkeley, since they're humongous GPA lovers. Anywhere in the low 20s and mid 20s I would expect given my full profile and what I would bring to a school. But we shall see...

You don't like UVA?

snowballgirl

Postby snowballgirl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:You would have a hard time at Northwestern even with a higher LSAT score because you basically NEED work experience. 98% of last year's class had at least 2 years of full-time work experience either prior to university or afterward.

If I don't get into any T14 I won't be upset or surprised, except maybe Berkeley, since they're humongous GPA lovers. Anywhere in the low 20s and mid 20s I would expect given my full profile and what I would bring to a school. But we shall see...

I did not realize this. I never researched Northwestern's stats and class profile, mainly because it's location is unappealing to me. (No offense to Chicago :lol: ) But, looking at the website, goodness!

Good luck with Northwestern! (BTW, which one is your dream school?)

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:22 am

snowballgirl wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:You would have a hard time at Northwestern even with a higher LSAT score because you basically NEED work experience. 98% of last year's class had at least 2 years of full-time work experience either prior to university or afterward.

I did not realize this. I never researched Northwestern's stats and class profile, mainly because it's location is unappealing to me. (No offense to Chicago :lol: ) But, looking at the website, goodness!

Good luck with Northwestern! (BTW, which one is your dream school?)

It'd be so hard to choose just one. I love UCLA because of its Epstein Center program, Stanford because of its Levin Center, Boalt for its huuuuge number of clinics (Including wrongful conviction and death penalty, my favorites)... but after the NU interview they're definitely my number one choice. The combination of a mature, experienced student body and a focus on life AFTER life school as opposed to the didactic "think like a lawyer" garbage model that is currently in place at most law schools seems to fit me very well.

Although, OTOH, if I had to rank them on aesthetics, Cornell wins. :)

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:53 pm

WL @ UVA.
I am taking the LSAT again in February in the hopes it gets me off the WL. I really want UVA...I might also toss in a Why UVA statement along with my hopefully new and better score (aiming at 170+).

If it is still not enough...probably going to withdraw from the WL and then apply again in September and blanket the T14.

So far I'm in at American and Kentucky. But I can't justify the cost of American without scholly money...

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:00 pm

162 (second time around)/3.84

I just got in to USD, which is a nice backup, but I'm holding out for UCLA. Long shot? Yes. But the admissions office said I have a chance at being wait-listed...

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:45 pm

dswimmer wrote:162 (second time around)/3.84

I just got in to USD, which is a nice backup, but I'm holding out for UCLA. Long shot? Yes. But the admissions office said I have a chance at being wait-listed...

You could try Davis and Hastings too. I was in at the first and waitlisted at the latter last year with lower stats.

snowballgirl

Postby snowballgirl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm in at W&L and Penn State. So, my cycle is going pretty well for me (so far)!

Good Luck to the reverse-splitters out there!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:20 pm

snowballgirl wrote:I'm in at W&L and Penn State. So, my cycle is going pretty well for me (so far)!

Great news!! Man, I would like an acceptance, just anywhere, even one of my lower schools like Cardozo! =-/

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:27 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Congrats Lizzie... I'm still waiting! Grr...

And re: Low LSAT scores... Indeed, Dean Pless at UIC even stated that last year, they accepted scores as low as 147 (albeit not many of them).

It's called being a URM lololol.

Well, that seems like an incorrect generalization.

Spinozist, I really encourage you to apply! My LSAT score was below yours, I am as white as they come, and I was accepted ED this year at UIUC. Especially with the fee waiver, it couldn't hurt! Dean Pless/UIUC seems to really look at the overall applicant and whether or not they are capable of doing the work...of course LSAT still matters and ED I think does give you a boost, but still for $12 it couldn't hurt! :)

Note to trolls: I know I am the exception, not the rule, but I am still real therefore proving it can still happen so get over it!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:38 pm

I like Anthropologie also :)

What do your numbers look like, mind PMing them to me?

snowballgirl

Postby snowballgirl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
snowballgirl wrote:I'm in at W&L and Penn State. So, my cycle is going pretty well for me (so far)!

Great news!! Man, I would like an acceptance, just anywhere, even one of my lower schools like Cardozo! =-/

Thanks so much!

BTW, I agree with you about Cornell. It is beautiful! Maybe, if my December score is competitive, I will shoot an app off there.

Fingers crossed for you and Northwestern and your Cali schools!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:18 am

snowballgirl wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Thanks so much!

BTW, I agree with you about Cornell. It is beautiful! Maybe, if my December score is competitive, I will shoot an app off there.

Fingers crossed for you and Northwestern and your Cali schools!

Thank you... it's so nerve wracking waiting for these schools to get around to my app. Hopefully when they actually look at the darn thing they'll see I am a pretty unique app (How many vets even apply to T14s? My NU interviewer had never interviewed one prior to our interview, that's got to speak to the relative rarity) and well worth the risk on my "low" LSAT score. I still have to giggle when I refer to an 86th percentile score as low. My husband took the PCAT for his schooling and an 86th percentile score on that is super competitive and considered one of the best scores you can get. Funny how things are so different for the LSAT!

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:18 pm

anthropologieaddict wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Congrats Lizzie... I'm still waiting! Grr...

And re: Low LSAT scores... Indeed, Dean Pless at UIC even stated that last year, they accepted scores as low as 147 (albeit not many of them).

It's called being a URM lololol.

Well, that seems like an incorrect generalization.

Spinozist, I really encourage you to apply! My LSAT score was below yours, I am as white as they come, and I was accepted ED this year at UIUC. Especially with the fee waiver, it couldn't hurt! Dean Pless/UIUC seems to really look at the overall applicant and whether or not they are capable of doing the work...of course LSAT still matters and ED I think does give you a boost, but still for $12 it couldn't hurt! :)

Note to trolls: I know I am the exception, not the rule, but I am still real therefore proving it can still happen so get over it!

Thanks Anthropology...I did apply. I wont get in though...I mean I wrote an addendum and I would hope that they would accept that...so my GPA will be around 3.7. My LSAT is too low and while I come from a good undergrad I just dont think I have a shot.

Did you write a LSAT addendum?

Thanks again man.

snowballgirl

Postby snowballgirl » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Thank you... it's so nerve wracking waiting for these schools to get around to my app. Hopefully when they actually look at the darn thing they'll see I am a pretty unique app (How many vets even apply to T14s? My NU interviewer had never interviewed one prior to our interview, that's got to speak to the relative rarity) and well worth the risk on my "low" LSAT score. I still have to giggle when I refer to an 86th percentile score as low. My husband took the PCAT for his schooling and an 86th percentile score on that is super competitive and considered one of the best scores you can get. Funny how things are so different for the LSAT!

I know! The world of the LSAT is unique in that regard. My boyfriend rolls his eyes when he hears me complain about how my score isn't that competitive for the top schools. (He had to take the GRE for his schooling, and a score in the 80th-some percentile is great for his programs.) He does a good job keeping me grounded, though. I know by TLS standards my score isn't that great, but I am proud of it.

Keep us posted! I am rooting for you to kill this cycle!

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:47 pm

snowballgirl wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Thank you... it's so nerve wracking waiting for these schools to get around to my app. Hopefully when they actually look at the darn thing they'll see I am a pretty unique app (How many vets even apply to T14s? My NU interviewer had never interviewed one prior to our interview, that's got to speak to the relative rarity) and well worth the risk on my "low" LSAT score. I still have to giggle when I refer to an 86th percentile score as low. My husband took the PCAT for his schooling and an 86th percentile score on that is super competitive and considered one of the best scores you can get. Funny how things are so different for the LSAT!

I know! The world of the LSAT is unique in that regard. My boyfriend rolls his eyes when he hears me complain about how my score isn't that competitive for the top schools. (He had to take the GRE for his schooling, and a score in the 80th-some percentile is great for his programs.) He does a good job keeping me grounded, though. I know by TLS standards my score isn't that great, but I am proud of it.

Keep us posted! I am rooting for you to kill this cycle!

This is definitely an interesting experience...Good luck to everyone the rest of the way.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:32 pm

So far, I'm 3 for 4 on acceptances with the 1 WL being UVA.

I have strong LORs so I think that may help me get into a T20-T30. Still, taking February LSAT. With the strong LORS and a 170+ I may be able to get in even more places...

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:07 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:So far, I'm 3 for 4 on acceptances with the 1 WL being UVA.

I have strong LORs so I think that may help me get into a T20-T30. Still, taking February LSAT. With the strong LORS and a 170+ I may be able to get in even more places...

So far you've gotten into American and Kentucky - Who else nabbed you up so far?

I'm still waiting at a big goose egg for my schools, and I even app'd to some lower tier 1 schools like Hastings, UWash, and Cardozo. =-/

Postby 2807 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:12 pm

170+ ? In "reverse splitter" thread?

TLS is really getting tuff....

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:15 pm

2807 wrote:

I think 170 is the poster's projected score. I'll agree that anyone beyond ~165 probably doesn't belong in the reverse splitter category. There was a thread a year ago that attempted to define the term.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Where I belong. Lets just say the LSAT is low and the GPA is a 3.4 (3.9 major GPA).

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:20 pm

stheskier wrote:Where I belong. Lets just say the LSAT is low and the GPA is a 3.4 (3.9 major GPA).

Unless your LSDAS GPA is somewhere in the 3.80+ range, you're not a reverse splitter I don't think. So if your "major GPA" is what LSDAS has for you, then welcome! :)

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:24 pm

JOThompson wrote:
2807 wrote:

I think 170 is the poster's projected score. I'll agree that anyone beyond ~165 probably doesn't belong in the reverse splitter category. There was a thread a year ago that attempted to define the term.

170 is my aim in Feb. when I retake to try and get off the UVA wait-list. Barring how well I do, I may wait and reapply next cycle...but if I get into one of my top choices, I may just go...we will see how the cycle turns out!

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:38 pm

If you get close to 170, I'd suggest waiting and reapplying. A nine point score jump is going to extremely improve your options. Good luck!
queenlizzie13 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
2807 wrote:

170 is my aim in Feb. when I retake to try and get off the UVA wait-list. Barring how well I do, I may wait and reapply next cycle...but if I get into one of my top choices, I may just go...we will see how the cycle turns out!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:17 am

I’m depressed. I posted an updated “what are my chances” topic because I just finished applying everywhere (163/164/3.95 with average softs but 3.5 years of PT and FT work experience) and I got a people saying I basically have no hope at T14. Then someone PM’d me and said they had the exact same stats as me last year and didn’t get in anywhere on my list except UIUC (didn’t apply to BU Fordham NU GW or UMN)….i haven’t read the last 13 pages fully, but can someone please cheer me up and tell me I have SOMEWHAT of a chance SOMEWHERE in the T20 or at LEAST T25?? I think I’m gonna cry I’m sooooo sad
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 am

Um.. don't cry. Your keyboard will get all gross. Maybe add a couple safety schools to your list to boost your confidence.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”