Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whymeohgodno

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:22 am

No, it's pretty correct, actually (barring hyper-amazing softs on par with curing cancer).

+1

I must, however, disagree with your assumption that any soft is "on par" with curing cancer. :wink:[/quote]

Medal of honor, Nobel Prize winner, Multiple Olympic Gold medalist...

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:26 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Medal of honor, Nobel Prize winner, Multiple Olympic Gold medalist...

Because of their impressive work experience, should applicants like these ED to NW? Or does that advice only apply to non-reverse splitters?
Last edited by HeavenWood on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:27 am

HeavenWood wrote:
jwrash wrote:I must, however, disagree with your assumption that any soft is "on par" with curing cancer. :wink:

What about curing AIDs or solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

Curing AIDS...yes. The latter would be at least on par with curing cancer if it were possible.

So, I stand corrected.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:28 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
No, it's pretty correct, actually (barring hyper-amazing softs on par with curing cancer).

+1

I must, however, disagree with your assumption that any soft is "on par" with curing cancer. :wink:

Medal of honor, Nobel Prize winner, Multiple Olympic Gold medalist...[/quote]
Yes. Yes. No.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:42 am

Since "curing AIDS" is a huge misnomer, how about the HIV vaccine I just whipped up in my garage? No more HAART - Just one little pill twice daily, voila!

snowballgirl

Postby snowballgirl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:13 pm

This seems like a place for me!
Stats: 4.0/163

Likely, I will retake the LSAT this Dec. Who all is in the retake boat?

Good luck to everyone on their cycle!

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Congrats Lizzie... I'm still waiting! Grr...

And re: Low LSAT scores... Indeed, Dean Pless at UIC even stated that last year, they accepted scores as low as 147 (albeit not many of them).

I had considered applying to UIC, but I just didn't see how a 158 would make the cut.

The school takes a few reverse splitters. I was on the waitlist as a 159/3.74/non-URM. Before the trolls arrive to crucify me, let me point out that getting waitlisted is different than having a real shot at admission. Still, I'd encourage you to try.

Well, getting WL gives you another chance to attempt to supply the committee more information in order to get an acceptance...its better than getting denied that's for sure. :lol:

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:19 am

First acceptance to law school

Phoenix Law School.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:03 am

Last edited by XxSpyKEx on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:11 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:FWIW, my numbers were 4.0/149. I was planning on taking a year off and re-taking (there was just so much that went wrong on the day I took the LSAT; although, I don't think I would have done better than high 150s without a lot more practice than I was willing to put into it). I ended up getting a pretty nice scholly from a regional t3, a bunch of shit went down back at home, and I just felt like it was going to be a now or never type of situation with going to law school, so I went to the t3. I transferred to a t10 last year, worked for a firm last summer, and am clerking next year. Probably not going back to the firm after the clerkship (it really isn't as great as people on TLS make it out to be). I guess it goes to show that anything's possible, and a bad LSAT score isn't really predictive of much of anything (in terms of grades, job opportunities, or even what law school you are going to wind up graduating from).

Exception, not the rule.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:27 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:First acceptance to law school

Phoenix Law School.

I am sure that made Candy very happy... she keeps e-mailing me about a $15,000 merit scholarship ($13,000 for p/t!) even after I've asked her to stop e-mailing me.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:28 am

snowballgirl wrote:This seems like a place for me!

We're pretty much numbers twins. I'm curious to see how or if my military experience and work experience will play a role in admissions vs. numbers twins. Keep us all updated!

If my cycle goes as awfully as I expect (and as TLS predicts) then I'm in for a re-take in June, but definitely not writing the December test.

snowballgirl

Postby snowballgirl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:55 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
snowballgirl wrote:This seems like a place for me!

We're pretty much numbers twins. I'm curious to see how or if my military experience and work experience will play a role in admissions vs. numbers twins. Keep us all updated!

If my cycle goes as awfully as I expect (and as TLS predicts) then I'm in for a re-take in June, but definitely not writing the December test.

Number twins, yay! Military experience is an awesome soft. I really hope soft factors hold some weight. (Yes, I realize TLS's stance on softs, but a girl can wish, right?)

I figured that I would write the December test in hopes that gaining a few more points would translate to merit money. I have no delusions that I am going to hit 180 in such a short period of time.

Good luck on your cycle! (BTW, what schools are you planning to apply?)

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:59 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:FWIW, my numbers were 4.0/149. I was planning on taking a year off and re-taking (there was just so much that went wrong on the day I took the LSAT; although, I don't think I would have done better than high 150s without a lot more practice than I was willing to put into it). I ended up getting a pretty nice scholly from a regional t3, a bunch of shit went down back at home, and I just felt like it was going to be a now or never type of situation with going to law school, so I went to the t3. I transferred to a t10 last year, worked for a firm last summer, and am clerking next year. Probably not going back to the firm after the clerkship (it really isn't as great as people on TLS make it out to be). I guess it goes to show that anything's possible, and a bad LSAT score isn't really predictive of much of anything (in terms of grades, job opportunities, or even what law school you are going to wind up graduating from).

Exception, not the rule.

I don't think even the most optimistic reverse-splitter would interpret his experience (149 > T10) as the norm. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. You made what is probably the most useless post in the entire history of TLS.

I know how fond you are of reverse splitters. Go troll another thread.

Rainer

Postby Rainer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:07 am

hey everyone. definitely a reverse splitter here hoping for t-14!

good luck to everyone. let's stay positive.

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:35 am

I'm a 3.92 GPA / 156 LSAT. Definitely fall within this category. Are there any schools in Tier 1 that tend to lean more towards the GPA as opposed to the LSAT score? I have some strong soft factors like a scholarship year abroad, five years worth of summer work experience, etc. I'm looking for schools ranked 15-30 where I might stand a chance...advice? Thanks in advance!

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:02 am

All you guys need to retake. 8)

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Ragged wrote:All you guys need to retake. 8)

unless you go down 9 points :)....not always

got into washington and lee, william and mary and miami so far

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:25 pm

The list is in my profile - It's pretty long, but they were free, so why not? I had my interview at Northwestern (yay TSA screenings) not too long ago and the interviewer didn't seemed the slightest bit concerned about my LSAT given my GPA, CPE, letter of rec, and soft factors (and a history of leadership and project management).

I'll also be going to LS with my tuition and living expenses basically covered by the Yellow Ribbon Program (With some schools offering more than others, like UCLA who will essentially completely pay my tuition in tandem with the YRP) so if I end up at a lower tier 1 like UW or BC I won't be too perturbed.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Underground404 wrote:I'm a 3.92 GPA / 156 LSAT. Definitely fall within this category. Are there any schools in Tier 1 that tend to lean more towards the GPA as opposed to the LSAT score? I have some strong soft factors like a scholarship year abroad, five years worth of summer work experience, etc. I'm looking for schools ranked 15-30 where I might stand a chance...advice? Thanks in advance!

Pretty much none.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Don't listen to the naysayers. It will be harder, yes, but it's not impossible. I just got an interview invite with a 162 LSAT from Georgetown Law, and I have a 3.85 GPA. I certainly don't have an acceptance from Georgetown Law at this point, but I can say that a bad LSAT won't automatically put you in the reject pile if you work hard at everything else.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:07 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Don't listen to the naysayers. It will be harder, yes, but it's not impossible. I just got an interview invite with a 162 LSAT from Georgetown Law, and I have a 3.85 GPA. I certainly don't have an acceptance from Georgetown Law at this point, but I can say that a bad LSAT won't automatically put you in the reject pile if you work hard at everything else.

If you get into Georgetown, you will be my hero. I have an additional four LSAT points and a slightly higher GPA, and I'm expecting a swift rejection (that is, if I apply).

snowballgirl

Postby snowballgirl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

The list is in my profile - It's pretty long, but they were free, so why not? I had my interview at Northwestern (yay TSA screenings) not too long ago and the interviewer didn't seemed the slightest bit concerned about my LSAT given my GPA, CPE, letter of rec, and soft factors (and a history of leadership and project management).

I'll also be going to LS with my tuition and living expenses basically covered by the Yellow Ribbon Program (With some schools offering more than others, like UCLA who will essentially completely pay my tuition in tandem with the YRP) so if I end up at a lower tier 1 like UW or BC I won't be too perturbed.

Wow! That sounds pretty nice! I'm glad they have such programs for our military.

I got a fee waiver from Northwestern, but I was too afraid to apply. My softs are nice (grad work, work during college, publication, scholarships, awards, etc.) but I don't think they are enough to give me a fighting chance at any of the T14.

(Eek about the TSA screenings.)

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Underground404 wrote:I'm a 3.92 GPA / 156 LSAT. Definitely fall within this category. Are there any schools in Tier 1 that tend to lean more towards the GPA as opposed to the LSAT score? I have some strong soft factors like a scholarship year abroad, five years worth of summer work experience, etc. I'm looking for schools ranked 15-30 where I might stand a chance...advice? Thanks in advance!

T30 isn't likely to happen. Give Iowa a try. I know a couple students with LSAT scores in the 156-158 range with ~3.3 GPAS. The school takes a more wholistic approach than some of the T1 schools, so you might have a shot, although a long one.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:48 pm

snowballgirl wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Wow! That sounds pretty nice! I'm glad they have such programs for our military.

I got a fee waiver from Northwestern, but I was too afraid to apply. My softs are nice (grad work, work during college, publication, scholarships, awards, etc.) but I don't think they are enough to give me a fighting chance at any of the T14.

(Eek about the TSA screenings.)

You would have a hard time at Northwestern even with a higher LSAT score because you basically NEED work experience. 98% of last year's class had at least 2 years of full-time work experience either prior to university or afterward.

If I don't get into any T14 I won't be upset or surprised, except maybe Berkeley, since they're humongous GPA lovers. Anywhere in the low 20s and mid 20s I would expect given my full profile and what I would bring to a school. But we shall see...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”