Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Send a "I'll withdraw everywhere immediately" LOCI. I heard it helps.

I almost did this with my first NU LOCI (sent after being placed on hold). Still trying to figure out whether it's worth the binding implications if I might not be admitted until the end of summer (if at all, of course). Maybe if I said something along the lines of "if I am admitted off the hold list, I will withdraw everywhere immediately," and that way it would isolate it to the end of this month, at the latest. Thoughts?

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Nightrunner wrote:How did I not know about this thread?

Yeah dude, unite with us.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:29 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Send a "I'll withdraw everywhere immediately" LOCI. I heard it helps.

I almost did this with my first NU LOCI (sent after being placed on hold). Still trying to figure out whether it's worth the binding implications if I might not be admitted until the end of summer (if at all, of course). Maybe if I said something along the lines of "if I am admitted off the hold list, I will withdraw everywhere immediately," and that way it would isolate it to the end of this month, at the latest. Thoughts?


Yea I'd do that.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Send a "I'll withdraw everywhere immediately" LOCI. I heard it helps.

I almost did this with my first NU LOCI (sent after being placed on hold). Still trying to figure out whether it's worth the binding implications if I might not be admitted until the end of summer (if at all, of course). Maybe if I said something along the lines of "if I am admitted off the hold list, I will withdraw everywhere immediately," and that way it would isolate it to the end of this month, at the latest. Thoughts?


Yea I'd do that.



+100

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Send a "I'll withdraw everywhere immediately" LOCI. I heard it helps.

I almost did this with my first NU LOCI (sent after being placed on hold). Still trying to figure out whether it's worth the binding implications if I might not be admitted until the end of summer (if at all, of course). Maybe if I said something along the lines of "if I am admitted off the hold list, I will withdraw everywhere immediately," and that way it would isolate it to the end of this month, at the latest. Thoughts?


Yea I'd do that.

Might be doing that, then. I'm glad I could get some advice here--I didn't want to drag my shame into the "BP picks your law school" thread.

User avatar
jl2032
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby jl2032 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:44 am

I did the "i'll withdraw from everywhere else immediately and deposit with you" thing in my LOCI to CLS... but I'd like to see what the financial aid packages look like from both CLS and NYU before I pull that trigger...

User avatar
Jay W. Weatherman
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Jay W. Weatherman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:27 pm

-
Last edited by Jay W. Weatherman on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Jay W. Weatherman wrote:So it looks like at long last my cycle will finally be ending (at least assuming my NYU waitlist/reject finally shows up). I figured I'd check back in to the splitter thread to share my final results if they'll be helpful to any future splitters.

Numbers: 3.36 / 174

Columbia -- W/L
Chicago -- Accepted
NYU -- ? (W/L)
Penn -- W/L
Virginia -- W/L
Michigan -- W/L
Northwestern -- W/L
Cornell -- Accepted
Georgetown -- W/L
Vanderbilt -- Accepted
UCLA -- W/L


"And that's why you always apply broadly."

User avatar
Jay W. Weatherman
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Jay W. Weatherman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:35 pm

-
Last edited by Jay W. Weatherman on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Jay W. Weatherman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Jay W. Weatherman wrote:So it looks like at long last my cycle will finally be ending (at least assuming my NYU waitlist/reject finally shows up). I figured I'd check back in to the splitter thread to share my final results if they'll be helpful to any future splitters.

Numbers: 3.36 / 174

Columbia -- W/L
Chicago -- Accepted
NYU -- ? (W/L)
Penn -- W/L
Virginia -- W/L
Michigan -- W/L
Northwestern -- W/L
Cornell -- Accepted
Georgetown -- W/L
Vanderbilt -- Accepted
UCLA -- W/L


"And that's why you always apply broadly."


Awesome.

Very true as well, especially since I was hesitant to apply to Chicago because I figured with my GPA I had very little chance of getting in. I was very happy to be proved wrong.


Congrats, you win at law school admissions.

User avatar
Fast_Fingers
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Fast_Fingers » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm

My results are in my profile, but awesome job Jay.

DrPlacebo
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:28 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby DrPlacebo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:45 am

Finally got around to signing up after lurking for most of the year. This is getting really nerve-wracking.

Numbers: 171 LSAT, 3.37 GPA, 6 years out of undergrad; left medical school during 2nd year (long story) having passed everything up to that point (all P/F).

Main career interests: public interest or government, health law, mental disability law

Current status...

Accepted:
Pacific McGeorge (with full tuition $$$) - tentatively committed, most likely will stick with it over any other regional school
Houston (withdrew 4/14)
Seattle University (will withdraw, form has not yet arrived)

Waitlist:
Georgetown (special preferred) - first choice
UT-Austin
American

Denied:
Northwestern
UCLA

No decision:
Harvard
Chicago
Indiana-Bloomington
Loyola-Chicago
Seton Hall

User avatar
DarkwingDick
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby DarkwingDick » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 am

DrPlacebo wrote:Finally got around to signing up after lurking for most of the year. This is getting really nerve-wracking.

Numbers: 171 LSAT, 3.37 GPA, 6 years out of undergrad; left medical school during 2nd year (long story) having passed everything up to that point (all P/F).

Main career interests: public interest or government, health law, mental disability law

Current status...

Accepted:
Pacific McGeorge (with full tuition $$$) - tentatively committed, most likely will stick with it over any other regional school
Houston (withdrew 4/14)
Seattle University (will withdraw, form has not yet arrived)

Waitlist:
Georgetown (special preferred) - first choice
UT-Austin
American

Denied:
Northwestern
UCLA

No decision:
Harvard
Chicago
Indiana-Bloomington
Loyola-Chicago
Seton Hall


Surprised at the NU deny.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby danquayle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:20 am

DarkwingDick wrote:
DrPlacebo wrote:Finally got around to signing up after lurking for most of the year. This is getting really nerve-wracking.

Numbers: 171 LSAT, 3.37 GPA, 6 years out of undergrad; left medical school during 2nd year (long story) having passed everything up to that point (all P/F).

Main career interests: public interest or government, health law, mental disability law

Current status...

Accepted:
Pacific McGeorge (with full tuition $$$) - tentatively committed, most likely will stick with it over any other regional school
Houston (withdrew 4/14)
Seattle University (will withdraw, form has not yet arrived)

Waitlist:
Georgetown (special preferred) - first choice
UT-Austin
American

Denied:
Northwestern
UCLA

No decision:
Harvard
Chicago
Indiana-Bloomington
Loyola-Chicago
Seton Hall


Surprised at the NU deny.


Wow, brutal cycle. Really.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:31 pm

DarkwingDick wrote:
DrPlacebo wrote:Finally got around to signing up after lurking for most of the year. This is getting really nerve-wracking.

Numbers: 171 LSAT, 3.37 GPA, 6 years out of undergrad; left medical school during 2nd year (long story) having passed everything up to that point (all P/F).

Main career interests: public interest or government, health law, mental disability law

Current status...

Accepted:
Pacific McGeorge (with full tuition $$$) - tentatively committed, most likely will stick with it over any other regional school
Houston (withdrew 4/14)
Seattle University (will withdraw, form has not yet arrived)

Waitlist:
Georgetown (special preferred) - first choice
UT-Austin
American

Denied:
Northwestern
UCLA

No decision:
Harvard
Chicago
Indiana-Bloomington
Loyola-Chicago
Seton Hall


Surprised at the NU deny.


He may not have work experience.

DrPlacebo
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:28 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby DrPlacebo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Mostly correct. One year work experience between undergrad and med school (and a summer jobs during undergrad), three year gap after leaving med school in which I have been taking night classes (in public health) for some of the time but not working (initially for health reasons, later the economy). Also, sent out all my applications relatively late in the cycle, between Jan. 20 and Mar. 1.

That said, I ran the raw numbers (GPA and LSAT only) through the predictor, and it said NU was probably a deny even without other considerations. I'm not really that disappointed - let's just say you can shoot me if I ever accept a BigLaw job. Why is it surprising - lots of splitters getting into NU this year?

Edit: forgot to mention, EXTREMELY risky personal statement. I figured that it was worth it because I'd never want to go to any school that saw it as a negative.
Last edited by DrPlacebo on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
gilly
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby gilly » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Jay W. Weatherman wrote:So it looks like at long last my cycle will finally be ending (at least assuming my NYU waitlist/reject finally shows up). I figured I'd check back in to the splitter thread to share my final results if they'll be helpful to any future splitters.

Numbers: 3.36 / 174

Columbia -- W/L
Chicago -- Accepted
NYU -- ? (W/L)
Penn -- W/L
Virginia -- W/L
Michigan -- W/L
Northwestern -- W/L
Cornell -- Accepted
Georgetown -- W/L
Vanderbilt -- Accepted
UCLA -- W/L


with very similar numbers (175/3.37)
Accepted: Chicago
Waitlisted: Duke, Michigan, Virgina, Northwestern (held then withdrew), Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UCLA, UC Hastings, Notre Dame, USC
Rejected: Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, Texas

Still waiting on NYU, Harvard and Cornell but at this point I'm also just assuming rejections (maybe a waitlist)

Funny the similarity with Chicago-- maybe they are more splitter-friendly than people think!

User avatar
Dimsdale
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Dimsdale » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Non-trad applicant here. 170, 3.0 GPA. 15 years out of undergrad. Good work experience that I thought would help but hasn't yet (military officer, self-employed for a while, etc.)
Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

applied late Jan/early feb due to blowing the sep LSAT. NW is the one I want, but I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. In hindsight, should have hit the t20-30 range a little bit. Oh well

User avatar
DarkwingDick
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby DarkwingDick » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:07 pm

DrPlacebo wrote:Mostly correct. One year work experience between undergrad and med school (and a summer jobs during undergrad), three year gap after leaving med school in which I have been taking night classes (in public health) for some of the time but not working (initially for health reasons, later the economy). Also, sent out all my applications relatively late in the cycle, between Jan. 20 and Mar. 1.

That said, I ran the raw numbers (GPA and LSAT only) through the predictor, and it said NU was probably a deny even without other considerations. I'm not really that disappointed - let's just say you can shoot me if I ever accept a BigLaw job. Why is it surprising - lots of splitters getting into NU this year?


Traditionally, one of the most splitter friendly schools. That said, they also place heavy emphasis on work experience.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Dimsdale wrote:Non-trad applicant here. 170, 3.0 GPA. 15 years out of undergrad. Good work experience that I thought would help but hasn't yet (military officer, self-employed for a while, etc.)
Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

applied late Jan/early feb due to blowing the sep LSAT. NW is the one I want, but I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. In hindsight, should have hit the t20-30 range a little bit. Oh well


Can you take June Lsat hit 172 and ED to NW. I'd bet you'd get it.

User avatar
Dimsdale
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Dimsdale » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Dimsdale wrote:Non-trad applicant here. 170, 3.0 GPA. 15 years out of undergrad. Good work experience that I thought would help but hasn't yet (military officer, self-employed for a while, etc.)
Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

applied late Jan/early feb due to blowing the sep LSAT. NW is the one I want, but I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. In hindsight, should have hit the t20-30 range a little bit. Oh well


Can you take June Lsat hit 172 and ED to NW. I'd bet you'd get it.

I PT'ed in the 172-173 range, but I'm not sure I want to put it off another year. I'll be 37 this year. It's already getting hard enough to drink against 20-somethings. If I wait much longer, I'll have to be wheeled to class by my nurse.

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby pertristis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Dimsdale wrote:Non-trad applicant here. 170, 3.0 GPA. 15 years out of undergrad. Good work experience that I thought would help but hasn't yet (military officer, self-employed for a while, etc.)
Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

applied late Jan/early feb due to blowing the sep LSAT. NW is the one I want, but I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. In hindsight, should have hit the t20-30 range a little bit. Oh well


Oh man. Now I'm going to have to go home and watch the Pirana Brothers episode ...

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby pertristis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:08 pm

I don't believe I've actually every posted in this thread. 177/3.42.

In: GULC (off of the SPWL), UIUC, Depaul, Kent, Santa Clara
WL: UVa (like everyone else), Fordham, GW, BU, W&M
Held: Cardozo, WUSL
Reject: Michigan, Boalt, UMN, NU, Columbia, Dook
Pending: Penn, Cornell, Vandy, UCLA, NYU (though I assume a WL [or reject] letter is currently in the mail)

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm

pertristis wrote:I don't believe I've actually every posted in this thread. 177/3.42.

In: GULC (off of the SPWL), UIUC, Depaul, Kent, Santa Clara
WL: UVa (like everyone else), Fordham, GW, BU, W&M
Held: Cardozo, WUSL
Reject: Michigan, Boalt, UMN, NU, Columbia, Dook
Pending: Penn, Cornell, Vandy, UCLA, NYU (though I assume a WL [or reject] letter is currently in the mail)
Wow. Did you apply in March or something?

If it doesn't get better, you could always just reapply next year and ED to NYU or Penn or something.

User avatar
Dimsdale
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Dimsdale » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:19 pm

pertristis wrote:
Dimsdale wrote:Non-trad applicant here. 170, 3.0 GPA. 15 years out of undergrad. Good work experience that I thought would help but hasn't yet (military officer, self-employed for a while, etc.)
Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

applied late Jan/early feb due to blowing the sep LSAT. NW is the one I want, but I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. In hindsight, should have hit the t20-30 range a little bit. Oh well


Oh man. Now I'm going to have to go home and watch the Pirana Brothers episode ...

Not to hijack the thread, but Amazon had a gold box deal on the series - I paid 49.99




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], oliviaj_j, rapmasterg and 7 guests