Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 02082010 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Waitlisted at Chicago. Better than a ding and I'll be aggressively trying to get off this thing.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby NayBoer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:02 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Waitlisted at Chicago. Better than a ding and I'll be aggressively trying to get off this thing.
Good luck! Looks like plenty of people come off the waitlist.

http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/?status=6

Thought about retaking again?

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 02082010 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:10 am

NayBoer wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Waitlisted at Chicago. Better than a ding and I'll be aggressively trying to get off this thing.
Good luck! Looks like plenty of people come off the waitlist.

http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/?status=6

Thought about retaking again?


Yeah, they pull tons from the WL. I'm flying out to Chicago to interview w/ Dean Perry the week of Jan 11. I've been mulling over a Feb retake for a little while now and this WL (and my HLS pipe dream) has given me a much needed incentive. I'm definitely capable of scoring 176+ so we'll see.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Regarding Northwestern, while work experience helps, it's not necessary. My friend with something like a 2.9 at Chicago undergrad and a 175 got in during his senior year and attended right after college. I would wait until next cycle to apply to schools though if you haven't sent your applications already.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:46 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Regarding Northwestern, while work experience helps, it's not necessary. My friend with something like a 2.9 at Chicago undergrad and a 175 got in during his senior year and attended right after college. I would wait until next cycle to apply to schools though if you haven't sent your applications already.



When did your friend get into NW? Because several years ago it was possible, but the entering '09s had the following W/E: 2% had 0 years, 98% had 1+ and 84% had 2+.

We base our admissions decisions on more than just test scores. Long-term, our goal is that all entering students will have at least two years of post-college work experience—another factor that helps us determine their motivation and ability to thrive in law school and beyond.


Sounds like they are aiming for everyone. IMO its a little crazy, and I think they should definitely include post grad studies as W/E, especially for research science degrees. They'd count a lab tech, why not a Ph'd bio student who did what a lab tech does and much more.

User avatar
nycsoul87
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby nycsoul87 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:14 pm

I was wondering if anyone has seen a noticeable difference in admissions decisions for splitters with gpas of 2.8ish vs those with 3.0- 3.1. I'm asking because I'm still a senior in undergrad and I was trying to figure out if its worth spending an extra year to bring it up. Should I stay even longer and bringing it up to 3.2-3.3ish? I go to a SUNY so tuition is under $7000 for the year... Also, I have a decent job in hotel management working the overnight shift so I will just continue doing that for as long as I need to.

Btw, I know the first thing is to go and become a legit splitter first. I'm only a mild splitter right now (2.8/ 166) but I am retaking in February.

Any thoughts?

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby finalaspects » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:21 pm

nycsoul87 wrote:I was wondering if anyone has seen a noticeable difference in admissions decisions for splitters with gpas of 2.8ish vs those with 3.0- 3.1. I'm asking because I'm still a senior in undergrad and I was trying to figure out if its worth spending an extra year to bring it up. Should I stay even longer and bringing it up to 3.2-3.3ish? I go to a SUNY so tuition is under $7000 for the year... Also, I have a decent job in hotel management working the overnight shift so I will just continue doing that for as long as I need to.

Btw, I know the first thing is to go and become a legit splitter first. I'm only a mild splitter right now (2.8/ 166) but I am retaking in February.

Any thoughts?


A lot of schools have an invisible cut off in GPA. Some seem to be 3.0 and others seem to be 3.3-3.4. Nonetheless, if you get a 170+ some schools will ignore this cutoff such as Northwestern, but you may want a 172+ for that. It also helped that those with 2.x GPA applied ED. I wouldn't know what they would do to those GPA's in RD.

IMO, you need to either get a 170+ or definitely bring up your GPA. doing both will be even better. This is assuming you would want to attend the top30 schools.

FYI, i have a 3.1/168 and I'm having a lot of trouble. Rejected from a lot of T14's and waitlisted among the top 30's.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:47 pm

nycsoul87 wrote:I was wondering if anyone has seen a noticeable difference in admissions decisions for splitters with gpas of 2.8ish vs those with 3.0- 3.1. I'm asking because I'm still a senior in undergrad and I was trying to figure out if its worth spending an extra year to bring it up. Should I stay even longer and bringing it up to 3.2-3.3ish? I go to a SUNY so tuition is under $7000 for the year... Also, I have a decent job in hotel management working the overnight shift so I will just continue doing that for as long as I need to.

Btw, I know the first thing is to go and become a legit splitter first. I'm only a mild splitter right now (2.8/ 166) but I am retaking in February.

Any thoughts?


Its a night and day difference at many schools. I'm not sure about schools in the 166 LSAT range, but if you can boost your score to 171 and your GPA is 3.0+ I'd bet a large sum of money you'd get in UVA ED.

Northwestern is the only T14 to reliably take sub 3.0 splitters, and that absolutely requires at least one year (preferably two) years of post grad work experience.

Here is a rough guide. The cut offs seem to be 3.0 for Georgetown, Michigan, and UVA; 3.1 for Penn; and 3.4+ for CCN+. Duke is a GPA whore and while a 3.3 might get you in, you'll almost without a doubt be WL'd until they need your LSAT. Cornell will dip below 3.0 but they seem to be holistic about applicants below 3.0. I think you'd most likely get rejected.

You need to get to 3.0, and 3.1 would be nice. Going above that gets harder (because you'll have a ton of credits), and has somewhat diminishing returns. I'd spend the year. Take easy courses, have fun, retake, and hopefully you'll be at the T14.

User avatar
Shellbelle
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Shellbelle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:04 pm

so excited I found this thread!

171 3.3 with big law experience

planning on holding tight for a bumpy summer but hoping that's not the case. Northwestern's my first choice - interviewed in early November in case I wanted to do ED and decided against it...starting to kick myself in the ass.

go splitters!

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 02082010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 pm

Out @ Michigan and Penn this week. Not very happy.

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 pm

WLd at Penn with a 170/3.0x. Super shocked that it wasn't a flat out rejection.

WhyBother?
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby WhyBother? » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:26 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:WLd at Penn with a 170/3.0x. Super shocked that it wasn't a flat out rejection.


Congrats! When did you apply? I have a 172 and a 3.4 and I have not heard anything. You must have put together an amazing application!

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:16 am

WhyBother? wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:WLd at Penn with a 170/3.0x. Super shocked that it wasn't a flat out rejection.


Congrats! When did you apply? I have a 172 and a 3.4 and I have not heard anything. You must have put together an amazing application!


Lol, thanks. I'm happy about it, since it's not a rejection! I think I applied 11/1, and then went complete like 11/6. I had a few updates, and was most recently UCR 12/8, until today.

I do have tons of work experience though, and a 3.85 average over the last two years of ug, so that probably helped.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I've been dinged from Mich, since I'm part of the 1/11 decision group with no access to the admitted site. Just makes me think maybe Penn is more holistic than Mich, which surprises me.

User avatar
Great Expectations
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Great Expectations » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 am

Late to the party...
170/2.4
Nontraditional, 5 years WE, married, kids, other (hopefully) interesting softs.

Retaking LSAT in February.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:11 am

Great Expectations wrote:Late to the party...
170/2.4
Nontraditional, 5 years WE, married, kids, other (hopefully) interesting softs.

Retaking LSAT in February.


Are you relocating for law school? If so I'd wait until next cycle, bring up that LSAT and ED to Northwestern.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 am

Hey there party people. I've been lurking for a little while and decided it was time to join the discussion. I've been totally obsessing about my apps lately (the ones that are already submitted and the ones I'm about to submit), and it will be nice to have some people to commiserate with!

3.X/17X, decent softs, blah blah blah. I'm setting my sights high and applying to most of the T14 even though I'm sure I'm going to see a lot of rejections. I'm also applying specifically because I want to do international law, and applying to a few specific international programs/wrote a decent chunk of my personal statements about my experience abroad and why I want to do int'l law.

Waiting sucks!
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Chupavida » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:32 pm

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoctorNick189
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby DoctorNick189 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 pm

As of today:

IN - UC Davis, Loyola
WL - UVA, UCLA
OUT -

3.0/176. HYP undergrad.

Fingers crossed for USC/G-town/WUSTL/Emory.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:59 pm

For the 170+ people in here unhappy with their cycle thus far, if you are not aware UVA and GULC eliminated the deadline to apply ED. There is a 15 page thread about it as it relates to UVA here

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102762

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:For the 170+ people in here unhappy with their cycle thus far, if you are not aware UVA and GULC eliminated the deadline to apply ED. There is a 15 page thread about it as it relates to UVA here

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102762


GULC is so, so tempting...

User avatar
Great Expectations
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Great Expectations » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Great Expectations wrote:Late to the party...
170/2.4
Nontraditional, 5 years WE, married, kids, other (hopefully) interesting softs.

Retaking LSAT in February.


Are you relocating for law school? If so I'd wait until next cycle, bring up that LSAT and ED to Northwestern.


Yes. Relocating. I am also old. I am sure some more mathematically inclined people would be able to shed some light on the subject, but I feel that waiting for another year, strictly from an earning potential viewpoint, might be a mistake.

User avatar
Katerina
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Katerina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:09 am

Great Expectations wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Great Expectations wrote:Late to the party...
170/2.4
Nontraditional, 5 years WE, married, kids, other (hopefully) interesting softs.

Retaking LSAT in February.


Good luck, Pip!
(I'm surprised you're retaking with 170- what score are you aiming for?)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:51 am

Great Expectations wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Great Expectations wrote:Late to the party...
170/2.4
Nontraditional, 5 years WE, married, kids, other (hopefully) interesting softs.

Retaking LSAT in February.


Are you relocating for law school? If so I'd wait until next cycle, bring up that LSAT and ED to Northwestern.


Yes. Relocating. I am also old. I am sure some more mathematically inclined people would be able to shed some light on the subject, but I feel that waiting for another year, strictly from an earning potential viewpoint, might be a mistake.



Depends, are you confident that you could be top 15% at a T30?

Make sure you apply to Northwestern, Georgetown part time, and Cornell so when you get a better LSAT you've got a shot at the t14.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby beef wellington » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Rough week: dinged at Penn, Berkeley, American (!), WL'ed at UVA. Prolly dinged at Michigan. No love from GW in their wave of admits. Ugh.

I was accepted to the MA portion of the JD/MA I applied to at American though. Ha. wtf

171 3.2

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Dinged at UVA and probably Mich (waiting on official word) this week.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ginawwhan, Lawl_Schoolz, notnecessarilyproper, pandaaa, RictusErectus, TakeItToTrial, xn3345, xnsch, Zoe107 and 18 guests