Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:07 pm

guyincognito wrote:splitter love from NU today. My GPA sucked too. Maybe they are a little holistic...


NU needs 25% of their class to have 172 or better. Thats better than UVA, Mich, Penn,UC-B and tied with Stanford. Schools who are all ranked better. Some applicants with high LSAT and an okay GPA will choose them, but not enough. So they compensate by letting people like us in.

The only reason I'm at a T14 is USNWR. And I'm okay with that.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

guyincognito wrote:splitter love from NU today. My GPA sucked too. Maybe they are a little holistic...


Congrats Guy! You were the only splitter to get into Fordham so your app must be bangin. Did you ED NU?

jk11287
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby jk11287 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Hmm, after reading this thread, I'm concerned. I sort of wrote a rather long GPA addendum, pointing out the rather obvious upward trend. I wonder if that makes me look like an excuse-giver and will get me thrown into the ding pile.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
guyincognito wrote:splitter love from NU today. My GPA sucked too. Maybe they are a little holistic...


NU needs 25% of their class to have 172 or better. Thats better than UVA, Mich, Penn,UC-B and tied with Stanford. Schools who are all ranked better. Some applicants with high LSAT and an okay GPA will choose them, but not enough. So they compensate by letting people like us in.

The only reason I'm at a T14 is USNWR. And I'm okay with that.


Wait, why do they care about their 75%? I thought USNWR was based on median. Also, T14 as a concept obviously wouldn't exist without USNWR, but NU is a fantastic school either way.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:17 pm

jk11287 wrote:Hmm, after reading this thread, I'm concerned. I sort of wrote a rather long GPA addendum, pointing out the rather obvious upward trend. I wonder if that makes me look like an excuse-giver and will get me thrown into the ding pile.



Have you been rejected or WL from any splitter friendly schools, if not I would relax (for now :) )

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:24 pm

beef wellington wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
guyincognito wrote:splitter love from NU today. My GPA sucked too. Maybe they are a little holistic...


NU needs 25% of their class to have 172 or better. Thats better than UVA, Mich, Penn,UC-B and tied with Stanford. Schools who are all ranked better. Some applicants with high LSAT and an okay GPA will choose them, but not enough. So they compensate by letting people like us in.

The only reason I'm at a T14 is USNWR. And I'm okay with that.


Wait, why do they care about their 75%? I thought USNWR was based on median. Also, T14 as a concept obviously wouldn't exist without USNWR, but NU is a fantastic school either way.


Nobody is quite sure, but since the ABA doesn't collect data about schools medians, but instead about their 25/75%'s, the USNWR calculates a pseudo median by averaging the 75% and 25%. You can see that the schools must believe this because once you get over the 75% your chances of acceptance skyrockets.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
guyincognito wrote:splitter love from NU today. My GPA sucked too. Maybe they are a little holistic...


NU needs 25% of their class to have 172 or better. Thats better than UVA, Mich, Penn,UC-B and tied with Stanford. Schools who are all ranked better. Some applicants with high LSAT and an okay GPA will choose them, but not enough. So they compensate by letting people like us in.

The only reason I'm at a T14 is USNWR. And I'm okay with that.


Wait, why do they care about their 75%? I thought USNWR was based on median. Also, T14 as a concept obviously wouldn't exist without USNWR, but NU is a fantastic school either way.


Nobody is quite sure, but since the ABA doesn't collect data about schools medians, but instead about their 25/75%'s, the USNWR calculates a pseudo median by averaging the 75% and 25%. You can see that the schools must believe this because once you get over the 75% your chances of acceptance skyrockets.


Actually, I don't think this is right.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1907
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:26 pm

beef wellington wrote:Don't they care more about the interview supposedly?


The interview is basically a continuation of the "Why Northwestern?" essay. If you'll travel there to interview, the school sees this as an indication that you are probably really interested in going there.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Don't they care more about the interview supposedly?


The interview is basically a continuation of the "Why Northwestern?" essay. If you'll travel there to interview, the school sees this as an indication that you are probably really interested in going there.


Living in Chicago for the win. It cost me 10 dollars to park, other people had to fly in.

Woozy
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Woozy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Woozy wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Heh, I looked at my score and that was enough. I never opened the PDFs of the test because I had no particular desire to ever slog through another LSAT question again.

Nay, what was in your GPA addendum if not excuses and justifications? Honest question...


I also wrote a GPA addendum (2.98) and did not include excuses/justifications. It's all in how you state it. Mine was simply an argument that proceeded by laying out the differences between my attitude/approach in UG and my current ones, and gave reasons why these point to increased academic performance.

Don't excuse/justify, but do argue and if at all possible demonstrate that your performance will be better.


I didn't write an addendum for my 2.8. It was obvious from my transcript that it wasn't an isolated semester, it was a full 4 years.

I'm not sure how that went over. I got straight rejected at Cornell, but got into NU, Minn and Iowa.


Mine was pretty much a full 4 years too, although I did top out at ~3.4 for a couple of years. I still think a GPA addendum can help in our situation if augmented by some work experience or something else that shows increased performance is likely.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:34 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Actually, I don't think this is right.


You are right. They did the 25/75 only for "2006" but went back to regular median in "2007" after the ABA started collecting data on the median as well. http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... _resu.html

IUB's strategy makes much more sense now.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1907
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Living in Chicago for the win. It cost me 10 dollars to park, other people had to fly in.


That works. Congrats on NU.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby NayBoer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Don't they care more about the interview supposedly?


The interview is basically a continuation of the "Why Northwestern?" essay. If you'll travel there to interview, the school sees this as an indication that you are probably really interested in going there.


Living in Chicago for the win. It cost me 10 dollars to park, other people had to fly in.
That was me. I took like a 6 am flight from SFO to ORD, CTA to Northwestern, then took an afternoon flight back. Except that California had a 30-year-record rainstorm or something, and flights were delayed by hours or canceled. So from leaving my apt to returning was something like 20+ hours. And I worked the day before and the day after. Flights much cheaper on Tuesdays.

Totally worth it now that I'm in.

User avatar
guyincognito
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby guyincognito » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Yeah I used my ED there. Still surprised to be in though....I was just hoping for the waitlist. I guess they saw something they liked...

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 02082010 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:00 pm

To the poster about schools not being splitter friendly this cycle, schools accept splitters they like very early on in the cycle and then wait until the end for the ones they aren't as enthused about (but still like) when they have to worry about their LSAT median (and their GPA median is where they want it to be).

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 02082010 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:34 pm

No splitter love @ Cornell.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 02082010 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:01 pm

In at Georgetown via snail mail.

scottyso
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:27 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby scottyso » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:26 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:In at Georgetown via snail mail.


I checked your profile for your LSAT/GPA but noticed you don't list them. Would you mind PM'ing them to me? If not though, I understand. Either way, congrats on the acceptance.

User avatar
dudester
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby dudester » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:42 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:In at Georgetown via snail mail.


Congrats!

User avatar
Trifles
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Trifles » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Hello everybody! I will be joining you in this fine thread. Just got my December LSAT score, 175 with a sub-3.0 GPA. Im buckling in for a bumpy ride :)

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 02082010 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks for the congrats and welcome to all the new splitters joining us after the Dec score release!

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:19 pm

Trifles wrote:Hello everybody! I will be joining you in this fine thread. Just got my December LSAT score, 175 with a sub-3.0 GPA. Im buckling in for a bumpy ride :)


was that your first attempt? if not what were your previous scores?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Trifles wrote:Hello everybody! I will be joining you in this fine thread. Just got my December LSAT score, 175 with a sub-3.0 GPA. Im buckling in for a bumpy ride :)


Applying to NU?

User avatar
Trifles
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Trifles » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:46 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Trifles wrote:Hello everybody! I will be joining you in this fine thread. Just got my December LSAT score, 175 with a sub-3.0 GPA. Im buckling in for a bumpy ride :)


was that your first attempt? if not what were your previous scores?


First try, nothing but net! :lol:

Desert Fox wrote:
Trifles wrote:Hello everybody! I will be joining you in this fine thread. Just got my December LSAT score, 175 with a sub-3.0 GPA. Im buckling in for a bumpy ride :)


Applying to NU?


I don't really have much work experience to speak of :( So, probably not.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby 02082010 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Trifles wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Trifles wrote:Hello everybody! I will be joining you in this fine thread. Just got my December LSAT score, 175 with a sub-3.0 GPA. Im buckling in for a bumpy ride :)


was that your first attempt? if not what were your previous scores?


First try, nothing but net! :lol:

Desert Fox wrote:
Trifles wrote:Hello everybody! I will be joining you in this fine thread. Just got my December LSAT score, 175 with a sub-3.0 GPA. Im buckling in for a bumpy ride :)


Applying to NU?


I don't really have much work experience to speak of :( So, probably not.


Congrats on the score but you'll be riding a lot of T14 waitlists well into the summer.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Automotomayor, brinicolec, christinaxcarrie, Houzy, reydingo and 19 guests