Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Encyclopedia Brown

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:24 pm

I guess it's only natural the that splitters thread would eventually spin into a discussion of the LSAT.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:35 pm

finalaspects wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Yeah, I had those in both my LG sections. In retrospect, the Sept LSAT was basically several hundreds dollars blown on a 1-night trip to Santa Cruz, since I bombed it. Obviously I got in off my June 172.

Really psyched I don't have to retake in Feb... or ever. I'll sell my books, maybe give them to my little brother and convince him to apply to LS.

out of curiosity what was your sept 09 score? and you re-took the test after getting a 172?!?!?
162 back in 2005 (little study)
172 Jun
168 Sep

My average before both was 175. So I underperformed twice. I saw that the Northwestern waitlist had tons of people with better GPAs waiting until June or July with 175s. I didn't want to wait until June and I didn't want to be rejected, so I wanted to go back and get a 175, or at least a 173. I figured since the 75th was 172 that I'd be in better shape if I could exceed it. Turns out that was needless!

FYI to anyone that cares, I submitted no LSAT addendum, but I did send a GPA addendum (offering no excuses or justifications).

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:45 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
nyyankees wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I had almost the same thought pattern as you did. I eliminated C,D and E, and chose A. I spent way too long on that last game. 15 minutes on the classes game.

Are replace the rule brute force, or is there an easier way?

Anyone who is taking in the future, study that question on Sept 09. Because my LG experimental had a replace the rule on 3/4 games.

I deduced it in the non-experimental section. There was just a logically equivalent rule (i assume based on your comments, choice B).

But i remember playing around with a strategy to figure it out in the experimental section. What I came up with was if one rule replaces the other, then everything that was possible under the original set of conditions should still be possible, and everything that isnt should still not be possible. So then i tested each one. this took far too long. when i got to the question at the end of the real section, the answer just sort of made sense by completely replacing the other rule.

I don't think there is a way other than process of elimination. You couldn't put more than 1 or 2 of those questions in a games section an expect people to do well.

I disagree. If you follow the variable relationships like I showed above, you can solve these questions fairly easily and quickly. The LSAT writers do not want to reward brute force - they want to reward people who make quick and accurate logical connections. Therefore I believe there will be an elegant solution to any question they write.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Heh, I looked at my score and that was enough. I never opened the PDFs of the test because I had no particular desire to ever slog through another LSAT question again.

Nay, what was in your GPA addendum if not excuses and justifications? Honest question...

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:59 pm

beef wellington wrote:Heh, I looked at my score and that was enough. I never opened the PDFs of the test because I had no particular desire to ever slog through another LSAT question again.

Nay, what was in your GPA addendum if not excuses and justifications? Honest question...

I also wrote a GPA addendum (2.98) and did not include excuses/justifications. It's all in how you state it. Mine was simply an argument that proceeded by laying out the differences between my attitude/approach in UG and my current ones, and gave reasons why these point to increased academic performance.

Don't excuse/justify, but do argue and if at all possible demonstrate that your performance will be better.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Woozy wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Heh, I looked at my score and that was enough. I never opened the PDFs of the test because I had no particular desire to ever slog through another LSAT question again.

I also wrote a GPA addendum (2.98) and did not include excuses/justifications. It's all in how you state it. Mine was simply an argument that proceeded by laying out the differences between my attitude/approach in UG and my current ones, and gave reasons why these point to increased academic performance.

Don't excuse/justify, but do argue and if at all possible demonstrate that your performance will be better.

This is what I did. But isn't saying "I was young and stupid" technically an excuse? I guess it's just semantics.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:08 pm

I was asked over the phone to explain my jump in GPA, so I think even if you don't have a compelling story, it might be better to give a good spiel about it to all your schools instead of leaving them wondering like "why this then that?"

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:19 pm

I just wanted to acknowledge it and say that it was not determinative of my future LS performance. It's been 5 years since I was a student and I had good WE examples (and three WE LORs that I'm pretty sure were glowing) to cite showing work ethic.

Basically: Expressed regret and took responsibility. Said it was years ago and now I have several years WE. Listed some important responsibilities I've been given and successes I've had. Said I've matured and will work hard in LS.

Girlfriend was a big help with it. And I spent a long time thinking about how to frame it (months). Can't confirm whether it mattered to the decision, but I'd like to think it helped convince them that I would be a competent student.

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:22 pm

beef wellington wrote:
Woozy wrote:

This is what I did. But isn't saying "I was young and stupid" technically an excuse? I guess it's just semantics.

At this point we are splitting hairs, but I'd maintain that there is a difference between an excuse and an explanation. The latter fully recognizes that mistakes were made, while the former states why the situation was justified.

Excuse: "I was sick during one semester." This justifies the poor performance, but may be judged by the adcoms as valid or not.

Explanation: "I was young and stupid." This does not seek to justify the performance, but may be judged by the adcoms as still ongoing or not.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:24 pm

NayBoer wrote:I just wanted to acknowledge it and say that it was not determinative of my future LS performance. It's been 5 years since I was a student and I had good WE examples (and three WE LORs that I'm pretty sure were glowing) to cite showing work ethic.

Basically: Expressed regret and took responsibility. Said it was years ago and now I have several years WE. Listed some important responsibilities I've been given and successes I've had. Said I've matured and will work hard in LS.

Girlfriend was a big help with it. And I spent a long time thinking about how to frame it (months). Can't confirm whether it mattered to the decision, but I'd like to think it helped convince them that I would be a competent student.

Well, congratulations again on never having to worry about it again.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Reading all of your approaches to explaining low GPAs makes me wish I had put way more thought into my app in that way. Although we're warned not to make our personal statements about that I talked about how a certain academic thread opened my eyes and unleashed new academic character within myself. I also wish I'd taken the damn LSAT again.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Woozy wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
Woozy wrote:

At this point we are splitting hairs, but I'd maintain that there is a difference between an excuse and an explanation. The latter fully recognizes that mistakes were made, while the former states why the situation was justified.

Excuse: "I was sick during one semester." This justifies the poor performance, but may be judged by the adcoms as valid or not.

Explanation: "I was young and stupid." This does not seek to justify the performance, but may be judged by the adcoms as still ongoing or not.

I didn't submit a GPA addendum, but the central theme of my ps was learning the value of hard work and initiative through my post UG work experience. In this I had a brief mention acknowledging that I didn't understand this when I was younger which probably had the same effect as an "I was a doofus when I was young" addendum. I can't quantify any effect other than my UVA ED acceptance since it came in before hearing back from anyone else, but Jason Dugas did say that I had a good ps in our phone call. I'm not trying to brag and I'm sure I'm not a unique snowflake for hearing that, but if it would have been a detriment to acknowledge past foolishness, I doubt he would have mentioned my ps at all.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm getting very discouraged. I'm a 169/3.3 (2 terrible semesters-6 fantastic ones, with two 4.0) and I feel like schools are very unsplitter friendly this year.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:48 pm

jk11287 wrote:I'm getting very discouraged. I'm a 169/3.3 (2 terrible semesters-6 fantastic ones, with two 4.0) and I feel like schools are very unsplitter friendly this year.

The friendliest LSN graph I've seen (and my only acceptance) is Minnesota. You'd be in there. But yeah, everyone else seems to be waitlisting something fierce. Gonna be a long cycle, but we'll all land somewhere.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:50 pm

beef wellington wrote:
jk11287 wrote:I'm getting very discouraged. I'm a 169/3.3 (2 terrible semesters-6 fantastic ones, with two 4.0) and I feel like schools are very unsplitter friendly this year.

The friendliest LSN graph I've seen (and my only acceptance) is Minnesota. You'd be in there. But yeah, everyone else seems to be waitlisting something fierce. Gonna be a long cycle, but we'll all land somewhere.

Yeah, unfortunately I can really only apply to schools in NY and DC (fiance's job...) and they seem to be pretty mean this year.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:52 pm

jk11287 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately I can really only apply to schools in NY and DC (fiance's job...) and they seem to be pretty mean this year.

you're still better off than i am. 168/3.1

did fordham respond to you? i got waitlisted....

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Fordham will let us in if we're still into them after things shake out, check out all the WL/accepted apps from the last couple years. And GW hasn't even started yet.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:57 pm

finalaspects wrote:
you're still better off than i am. 168/3.1

did fordham respond to you? i got waitlisted....

No, I applied EA but I didn't hear from the because I took the Dec. LSAT...I didn't realize they would hold my app, but I should be hearing from them any day now. I'm pretty sure I'll get waitlisted, considering they WL just about every splitter this year. Which is insane. There were apps with 170+ and like 3.4 GPA that were WL.

I'm ED at GW but I'm expecting to be deferred to RD, although I would be over the moon if I got in ED.

I'm hoping the Dec. LSAT will change things slightly...I was averaging 174 PT and highest score is 177, so I underperformed in Sept. I'm hoping to get a few more points so I can send out apps to BU and Duke.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:58 pm

Woozy wrote:

I didn't write an addendum for my 2.8. It was obvious from my transcript that it wasn't an isolated semester, it was a full 4 years.

I'm not sure how that went over. I got straight rejected at Cornell, but got into NU, Minn and Iowa.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Man, I'm so not getting in to NU.... I only briefly touched on my gpa in a very very short addendum. My PS wasn't tailored for them, but I suppose in a very round-about way it hints at the whole "why law?" topic, and my optional essay (or ds or whatever they called it on their app) sort of gives more background............ but somehow I think I screwed everything up. :oops: It is going to be a LOOOOONG next couple weeks.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:01 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Man, I'm so not getting in to NU.... I only briefly touched on my gpa in a very very short addendum. My PS wasn't tailored for them, but I suppose in a very round-about way it hints at the whole "why law?" topic, and my optional essay (or ds or whatever they called it on their app) sort of gives more background............ but somehow I think I screwed everything up. :oops: It is going to be a LOOOOONG next couple weeks.

I didn't even mention it at all. To be honest I don't think NU is very holistic, so I wouldn't worry about it.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:03 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Man, I'm so not getting in to NU.... I only briefly touched on my gpa in a very very short addendum. My PS wasn't tailored for them, but I suppose in a very round-about way it hints at the whole "why law?" topic, and my optional essay (or ds or whatever they called it on their app) sort of gives more background............ but somehow I think I screwed everything up. :oops: It is going to be a LOOOOONG next couple weeks.

Don't they care more about the interview supposedly?

guyincognito

Postby guyincognito » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:04 pm

splitter love from NU today. My GPA sucked too. Maybe they are a little holistic...

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm not sure a GPA addendum matters much. NU didn't ask for it. My GPA was substantially lower than yours. Yours is possible at a whole host of schools. Mine is almost impossible anywhere but NU, GULC and UVA - and UVA dinged me, GULC regular-WLed me.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:05 pm

guyincognito wrote:splitter love from NU today. My GPA sucked too. Maybe they are a little holistic...

you just need 172 or higher on the lsat... anything below they may be holistic...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”